TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Chillin on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:25 pm

LOL this is funny ... remember when Fox Network was threatening Time Warner Cable with their contract negotiations? Saying they were going to stop allowing TWC to broadcast their shows including FSN if they didn't agree to their broadcasting rate increase?

Well me thinks Fox just shot themselves in the foot and TWC went over their heads and took the Lakers from them. Classic.
Chillin

Postby GoatMilk16 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm

cool
Yankees, Mets, Red Sox all have their own networks, but some of them share with other teams
i know the yankees share with the nets

knicks have MSG network, but they also share with the Islanders

from the get go, it looks like just a laker network. awesome
announcers will probably be the same. just like Spero and MT stayed when they switched from 570 to 710

hopefully Billy mac is gone. total assclown
GoatMilk16

Postby ragesince1516 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 pm

So it's gonna be like YES network for the Yankees.
As good as anybody, much much better than most.
ragesince1516

Postby retro_nights on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 am

i dont post often, but found this article that explains the real reason for the deal.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/billion-d ... mily-29495

From Flint:
Witmer said the move to get into business with the Lakers is part of its overall desire to “control our economic destiny.”
Translation: Lakers Owner Jerry Buss now officially has the financial wherewithal to transfer the franchise to his children - who currently run the team’s day-to-day operation.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby kblo247 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:28 pm

The fact that the Laker's are the only supply of income for the Buss family and that Kobe won't be around to draw for them forever (was a key point Ireland kept making in the Melo talks) made this a necessary move. They needed the money to keep the franchise long-term in this economy and with there being much richer owners.
kblo247

Postby Weezy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 pm

WTF, I have U-Verse, they better carry this network.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:42 pm

I have Dish and these guys just got into a pricing war with FOX sports and was finally resolved after 2-3games into the season....I hope their contract carries over or else I can see Dish baulking at TWC asking price. :mad1:
khmrP

Postby leakbrewergator on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Still waiting for a Lakers NATIONAL channel.... :man11:

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby RAZN74 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Anyone know if we will have to pay extra to get the new channels? It probably hasn't been established yet though.
RAZN74

Postby streamline on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Weezy wrote:WTF, I have U-Verse, they better carry this network.

Same!!! I just got rid of TWC because of how ridiculous they are. I hope I don't have to resort to using streams and stuff... :/
streamline

Postby socallakerlove on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 pm

The channel will be available to all providers...just wait for them to negotiate it and you'll be able to have it. Your overall cable could increase but I don't think you'd have to pay $5 a month just for that channel, per se.
socallakerlove

Postby revgen on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 pm

retro_nights wrote:i dont post often, but found this article that explains the real reason for the deal.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/billion-d ... mily-29495

From Flint:
Witmer said the move to get into business with the Lakers is part of its overall desire to “control our economic destiny.”
Translation: Lakers Owner Jerry Buss now officially has the financial wherewithal to transfer the franchise to his children - who currently run the team’s day-to-day operation.

Interesting article. Thanks.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Time Warner Cable is beyond horrible. So I really hope they hammer out a deal with DirecTV (and Dish, etc for everyone else).

This deal is going to bring a lot of cash to the Buss family and allow them the ability to stay prosperous and keep the team within the family once Jerry passes away.

I doubt they'll get rid of Stu & Joel.

As long as they make a deal with DirecTV I'll be happy. They have two years to do this.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:57 pm

its rumored that the deal is worth 3 billion dollars for the Buss family.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby GinoDB on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 pm

leakbrewergator wrote:Still waiting for a Lakers NATIONAL channel.... :man11:

maybe this one will be available, for an extra price of course just like the fox sports stations

at least youl get home and road games tho
GinoDB

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:14 pm

I used to have TWC and they are terrible. I have their Internet service, it's terrible and they've been raising prices for years.

I just pray Directv will be able to carry it because if Laker games are only on TWC, i will have almost no choice but to get TWC. Directv is far superior.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:15 pm

The Rock wrote:^ man in 2013 Kobe will be old and we're going to be on the downside, there's going to be round the clock coverage on the lottery watch :man10: these guys missed out by 3 years

That's sort of what i was thinking. By that time, this team will be on the downside and ready to go into rebuild mode. Maybe the boys at TWC dont' know this.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby kidhell on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Time Warner is terrible! When Dish Network was having their disputes with Fox and it was looking like I was not going to have FSW to start the season, we dropped Dish and had TWC installed. What we got was pixelation, dropped feeds, interrupted programming, etc. Time Warner is horrendous and most people I know that have TWC hate them but put up with these issues. We very quickly switched back to Dish and are very, very happy. Now if Dish does not get this new, proposed "Lakers Channel", I will not switch back and will just order the NBA Season Pass. Just because they choose to spend a billion or so dollars, I am not going to be forced to change cable carriers again. I hope they realize that this new "channel" needs to be available on Dish, DirectTV, etc. or they are not going to have the large viewership that has been loyal to KCAL and FSW.
kidhell

Postby sharko on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 pm

This will take a while to get used to. Ive been watching road games on KCAL since '93. So does this mean that you will not be able to watch Laker games anymore without cable/satellite? I have directv at home, but not everyone else has cable yet!
sharko

Postby revgen on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:33 pm

^You can't order league pass unless you're outside the LA area. You will be blacked out.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby GinoDB on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:35 pm

kidhell wrote:Time Warner is terrible! When Dish Network was having their disputes with Fox and it was looking like I was not going to have FSW to start the season, we dropped Dish and had TWC installed. What we got was pixelation, dropped feeds, interrupted programming, etc. Time Warner is horrendous and most people I know that have TWC hate them but put up with these issues. We very quickly switched back to Dish and are very, very happy. Now if Dish does not get this new, proposed "Lakers Channel", I will not switch back and will just order the NBA Season Pass. Just because they choose to spend a billion or so dollars, I am not going to be forced to change cable carriers again. I hope they realize that this new "channel" needs to be available on Dish, DirectTV, etc. or they are not going to have the large viewership that has been loyal to KCAL and FSW.

it will probably be available on direct tv and dish. but as for getting league pass that won't work if you live in LA because they block out local market games
GinoDB

Postby GinoDB on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

sharko wrote:This will take a while to get used to. Ive been watching road games on KCAL since '93. So does this mean that you will not be able to watch Laker games anymore without cable/satellite? I have directv at home, but not everyone else has cable yet!

yup
GinoDB

Postby khmrP on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:37 pm

yea I can't imagine TWC forcing other providers hand and not distributing their cost to other carriers, I'm guessing its illegal to force non TWC to swtich to their provider merely for this Laker channel
khmrP

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm

KB24 wrote:its rumored that the deal is worth 3 billion dollars for the Buss family.
I actually was reading a report that said $3B may have been a conservative figure.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby revgen on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm

^3 billion dollars is about 150 million dolars a year for 20 years. That's enough to cover our payroll alone right now. It may be a conservative estimate because there are possibly other bonuses that kick in for certain achievements, such as championships, playoffs, etc.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion