TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:09 pm

KB8SD wrote:
revgen wrote:^They may do a la carte. If people want english only or spanish only, they pay less. If they want both, they pay more. If they don't want it at all, they don't pay a dime.

I seriously doubt TWC & the Lakers will allow these channels to be carried in a la carte way to any other TV providers.

Ever since they announced the agreement they have been taking pride as sort of being the first team & regional sports network to offer 2 separate full time channels and one being in Spanish.

That depends upon the leverage of the channel provider.

DirecTV and DISH carry far more leverage than local providers like Cox and Charter.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KB8SD on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 pm

scissors wrote:http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-ange ... uss-forbes

That's a fairly old article.The writer in that article towards the end thought Dr. Buss would not use the new millions off the TV network deal to increase the Lakers team payroll mainly because of the new CBA.

Well we all know how this past went :man9:
KB8SD

Postby NewDynasty on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Direct tv i would switch to bit do not want twc...
NewDynasty

Postby OX1947 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm

JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:I have no doubt Directv will have it. I would guess 90% of all bars have Directv because of the Sunday Ticket. Those bars are not going to leave Sunday Ticket and southern cal can not have a bar without Laker games. My guess is TWC will be on Directv when it matters, when the regular season starts. And that is fine by me. This is 2012, any backstage show stuff TWC has in the mean time will get posted on youtube and torrents are available for preseason games.

Let me guess. You have DirecTV. Because the lack of doubt that DirecTV will have it sounds more like wishful thinking! Haha.

As a Cox subscriber though, if DirecTV is the only one other than TWC to get Lakers games, I would switch in a moment's notice.

But the bars argument, while a good one, is more hope than logical. I mean, Pac-12 Network is not on DirecTV and one would think So Cal could not have bars without USC and UCLA games right?

Bars will need to ramp up and offer multiple solutions (i.e. DirecTV and TWC) so they can offer their customers all of the available content.

No one gives a rat's (bleep) about the PAC-12 network. This is the Lakers we are talking about.
OX1947

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:08 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Arash MarkaziVerified ‏@ArashMarkazi

DirecTV rep told me, "We plan to carry TWC SportsNet in a way that is affordable for everyone." Not sure when, but they'll have a deal.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status ... 1679250433

Really hope Cox is in the same boat
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 am

Go Behind the Scenes of the Lakers and Laker Girls

El Segundo, CA – Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes will launch on October 1, giving fans insider access into the Lakers organization through two original unscripted series about the team. “Backstage: Lakers” and “Laker Girls” will provide an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the season while it unfolds and the making of the team’s iconic dance squad.

“The Lakers have given us unprecedented access to take viewers where they typically aren’t allowed, which is exactly what we envisioned when we decided to launch these networks,” said David Rone, President, Time Warner Cable Sports. “These initial series, ‘Backstage: Lakers’ and ‘Laker Girls,’ represent that vision.”

“We have one of the strongest fan bases in professional sports and Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes will give our fans the access to the Lakers that they crave,” said Jeanie Buss, Executive Vice President, Business Operations, Los Angeles Lakers. “We’ve had an exciting offseason and can’t wait to see this team on our new local TV home.”

“Backstage: Lakers” (titled “Lakers Confidencial” on Time Warner Cable Deportes) will chronicle the Lakers season from start to finish, taking viewers into the locker room, executive offices and other previously off-limits areas to see the team’s key players and personalities make the decisions that affect the outcome of the season. The premiere episode takes fans from the end of the 2011-12 season in Oklahoma City to the start of 2012-13 training camp, gives an inside look at the arrival of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard and examines fan reactions to the Lakers’ headline-making offseason. “Backstage: Lakers” is a weekly 30-minute documentary that debuts on October 1, the networks’ opening night, at 9:00 p.m.* and new episodes will air every week for the entirety of the Lakers season. October’s episodes are as follows:

“Backstage: Lakers” episode 1 – OPENING NIGHT, Monday, October 1, 9:00 p.m.
“Backstage: Lakers” episode 2 – Wednesday, October 10, 5:00 p.m.
“Backstage: Lakers” episode 3 – Wednesday, October 17, 5:00 p.m.
“Backstage: Lakers” episode 4 – Wednesday, October 24, 5:00 p.m.
“Backstage: Lakers” episode 5 – Wednesday, October 31, 5:00 p.m.

“Laker Girls” (also titled “Laker Girls” on Time Warner Cable Deportes) provides an in-depth profile of the making of the 2012-13 squad and its members. Fans will learn first-hand about the fierce competition to make the iconic dance squad, from open call tryouts attracting more than 500 women to a behind-the-scenes peek at opening night at STAPLES Center. The “Laker Girls” reality series is made up of five one-hour episodes and debuts on October 2 at 8:00 p.m., with the full series airing as follows:

“Laker Girls” episode 1 – Tuesday, October 2, 8:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 2 – Tuesday, October 9, 9:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 3 – Wednesday, October 17, 9:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 4 – Tuesday, October 23, 9:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 5 – Finale, Tuesday, November 6, 9:00 p.m.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/120926go-behind-scenes-lakers-and-laker-girls
Last edited by wcsoldier81 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:55 am

TWC Networks to Launch Monday

EL SEGUNDO, CA - Time Warner Cable SportsNet and Time Warner Cable Deportes will debut Monday night at 7* p.m. as the exclusive local homes of the Los Angeles Lakers, LA Galaxy and LA Sparks games, as well as CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) high school regular season and playoff contests.

“We couldn’t be more excited to debut our networks on Monday,” said David Rone, President, Time Warner Cable Sports. “After more than a year of careful planning and working closely with our team partners, we’re going to deliver on our promise to give fans live games, home and away, of the teams they love plus the depth, access and immersive team coverage they have told us they want.”

Melinda Witmer, Executive Vice President and Chief Video and Content Officer for Time Warner Cable, said “We’re so proud of the team at Time Warner Cable Sports, as they have worked incredibly hard to launch these networks. From the first Spanish-language regional sports network in the country to a comprehensive viewing experience for all fans, we know that these groundbreaking networks will set a new standard for Southern California sports fans when they launch on Monday.”

Time Warner Cable SportsNet will debut at 7 p.m. with a two-hour live special edition of the network’s signature show “Access SportsNet” that will feature Lakers Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Steve Nash and Galaxy superstar David Beckham as in-studio guests. This will be followed by the world premiere of “Backstage: Lakers,” the network’s weekly behind-the-scenes documentary show, at 9 p.m. “Backstage: Lakers” will take fans from the end of the 2011-12 season in Oklahoma City to the start of 2012-13 training camp, giving an inside look at the arrival of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, examining fan reactions to the Lakers’ headline-making offseason and a look behind-the-scenes of Lakers media day.

Time Warner Cable Deportes will launch at 7 p.m. with a two-hour “Bienvenidos a Time Warner Cable Deportes” live special that features Beckham, Bryant and Nash as in-studio guests, plus Laker Pau Gasol and Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan. Next on the network will be “Somos Lakers, La Biografía” at 9 p.m. and “Los 16 del Galaxy” at 9:30 p.m., which profile the storied histories of the two teams. “Encuentro Deportivo” will premiere at 10 p.m. and the half-hour live, nightly show will update viewers on the day’s most complete sports activity, in Southern California as well as internationally.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/twc-networks-launch-monday
wcsoldier81

Postby JGC on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:23 am

OX1947 wrote:
JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:I have no doubt Directv will have it. I would guess 90% of all bars have Directv because of the Sunday Ticket. Those bars are not going to leave Sunday Ticket and southern cal can not have a bar without Laker games. My guess is TWC will be on Directv when it matters, when the regular season starts. And that is fine by me. This is 2012, any backstage show stuff TWC has in the mean time will get posted on youtube and torrents are available for preseason games.

Let me guess. You have DirecTV. Because the lack of doubt that DirecTV will have it sounds more like wishful thinking! Haha.

As a Cox subscriber though, if DirecTV is the only one other than TWC to get Lakers games, I would switch in a moment's notice.

But the bars argument, while a good one, is more hope than logical. I mean, Pac-12 Network is not on DirecTV and one would think So Cal could not have bars without USC and UCLA games right?

Bars will need to ramp up and offer multiple solutions (i.e. DirecTV and TWC) so they can offer their customers all of the available content.

No one gives a rat's (bleep) about the PAC-12 network. This is the Lakers we are talking about.

The PAC-12 network recently struck a deal with ESPN & Fox to the tune of $3 BILLION over 12 years (that's 25% MORE on a per year basis than the Lakers deal). And this is on top of the deals with the individual providers themselves such as Dish, Cox, TWC, etc. Their coverage is reported to be around 60 million! Anyone with knowledge of the situation could not possibly conclude that no one cares about the PAC-12 Network. It might have been more accurate to say everyone cares except DirecTV! Haha.

I can only presume that your comment was made without a proper understanding of the actual magnitude of the PAC-12 Network.

Either way, the point is, DirecTV is one of the only providers in the Southland that doesn't offer the PAC-12 Network, and its massive reach, to its customers. And so there is no guarantee they will offer TWCSportsNet either.

In fact, I'd be most concerned if I was a satellite subscriber (specifically Dish first, but then DirecTV next). If TWC offers TWCSportsNet to all of the other cable companies only then that would help them in the cable vs satellite battle. Bars and residences almost always have a cable option. Of course, in the end, it will come down to who is willing to pay, and DirecTV has shown already that they won't pay a price they aren't comfortable with, even if we really want them to and lots of bars have them.
JGC

Postby JGC on Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:27 am

lakerswiz wrote:Monday. And I don't have it with Comcast yet? I'm getting worried.

The chances are if deals are going to be struck, it'll be closer to Oct. 30 than Oct. 1. The good news is, the first game of the season is on TNT I believe, so we'll be able to watch it there.

I'm worried too (I have Cox Cable) but, expect to miss the preseason, and I think the worst case is possibly a few games of the regular season. At some point, someone is going to budge because there is too much money at stake.

The big question isn't if, it is WHO. And when. *sigh*
JGC

Postby Weezy on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:45 am

**** I can't believe I might be missing coverage and preseason games and maybe more in one of the most anticipated Laker seasons ever just because I don't subscribe to the ****iest cable provider around.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:37 am

JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
JGC wrote:

The PAC-12 network recently struck a deal with ESPN & Fox to the tune of $3 BILLION over 12 years (that's 25% MORE on a per year basis than the Lakers deal). And this is on top of the deals with the individual providers themselves such as Dish, Cox, TWC, etc. Their coverage is reported to be around 60 million! Anyone with knowledge of the situation could not possibly conclude that no one cares about the PAC-12 Network. It might have been more accurate to say everyone cares except DirecTV! Haha.

I can only presume that your comment was made without a proper understanding of the actual magnitude of the PAC-12 Network.

Either way, the point is, DirecTV is one of the only providers in the Southland that doesn't offer the PAC-12 Network, and its massive reach, to its customers. And so there is no guarantee they will offer TWCSportsNet either.

In fact, I'd be most concerned if I was a satellite subscriber (specifically Dish first, but then DirecTV next). If TWC offers TWCSportsNet to all of the other cable companies only then that would help them in the cable vs satellite battle. Bars and residences almost always have a cable option. Of course, in the end, it will come down to who is willing to pay, and DirecTV has shown already that they won't pay a price they aren't comfortable with, even if we really want them to and lots of bars have them.

I think you presume a little too much about people you do not know. I am in the business of common sense, not wishful thinking. I am not sitting in my house WISHING for anything. It is called common sense. I have been to at least 20 sports bars in Southern California, from Hooters, to Buffalo Wild Wings to rinky dink Joe Shmoe sport bar. Not ONE didn't have DirecTV. Not ONE. You may know some, I don't. They all have Directv. Bars care about Sunday Ticket, number 1, and then everything else 2nd. And if you think DirecTV isn't going to get it's share of the Lakers in LA or the Inland Empire, well, you may want to go look at supply and demand models and Economics 101 with an emphasis in supply and demand.
OX1947

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Go Behind the Scenes of the Lakers and Laker Girls

“Laker Girls” (also titled “Laker Girls” on Time Warner Cable Deportes) provides an in-depth profile of the making of the 2012-13 squad and its members. Fans will learn first-hand about the fierce competition to make the iconic dance squad, from open call tryouts attracting more than 500 women to a behind-the-scenes peek at opening night at STAPLES Center. Utilizing state of the art high quality HD mini "hidden" cameras in their dressing rooms will bring to the series an unprecedented level of behind the scenes interest to our viewers. The “Laker Girls” reality series is made up of five one-hour episodes and debuts on October 2 at 8:00 p.m., with the full series airing as follows:

“Laker Girls” episode 1 – Tuesday, October 2, 8:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 2 – Tuesday, October 9, 9:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 3 – Wednesday, October 17, 9:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 4 – Tuesday, October 23, 9:00 p.m.
“Laker Girls” episode 5 – Finale, Tuesday, November 6, 9:00 p.m.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/120926go-behind-scenes-lakers-and-laker-girls

Awesome I'm down!! Come on Charter....get this done.... NOW! Great concept TW!! :bow: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:38 pm

I still want to know if you get League Pass will games still be subject to blackout restrictions. Anyone know?
cthroatgtr

Postby XXIV on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:41 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:I still want to know if you get League Pass will games still be subject to blackout restrictions. Anyone know?

Local teams will be blacked out.
XXIV

Time Warner Lakers coverage question

Postby akola on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:48 pm

I was wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. I've been confused about this whole Time Warner Laker games coverage. I have Charter Communications. Does that mean I'm NOT gonna be able to see most laker home and road games that they use to air on kcal 9 and fox sports or prime ticket? Am I only going to see games on televised on ABC, ESPN, and TNT? (how many lakers games will be aired on those 3 chanels this season?) I'm used to watching almost all of the laker games so this will be unacceptable.
Time Warner Communications doesn't offer any service in my area so I can't really switch. Should I sell my bleepin house and move to a city that offers TWC just to watch laker games? Any suggestions
akola

Re: Time Warner Lakers coverage question

Postby kidhell on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes, unfortunately, you're in the same boat as all the rest of us, who do not have Time Warner Cable... you will NOT be seeing a majority of home or road games this season expect the few games broadcast on TNT and nationally televised weekend games... unless, of course, Time Warner Cable negotiates a little more fairly with companies like Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, etc. But for the moment, you're out of luck like the rest of us.
kidhell

Postby lkrfn85 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:53 pm

I have the same problem. TWC doesn't offer service in my area, and I have DirecTV. Right now, no other provider is carrying the Lakers, which means the only games available will be the nationally televised ones. Hopefully they will come to a deal soon!
lkrfn85

Postby kidhell on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:01 pm

I can not believe how stupid Time Warner Cable is regarding their new SportsNet channel. Now, just because they may have overpaid by an extreme amount for the exclusive rights to the Lakers for the next 25 or whatever years, means that we all now must suffer as a result. And what genius work for TWC who would want to so badly burn such a dedicated fan-base as Lakers fans. They should have done a short term, year or two long deal with all cable carriers to establish themselves as the Lakers new home, then, if necessary, do a price increase or renegotiate longer term deals to provide their channel to carriers. But right off the bad, they go and put a bad taste in the mouth of any Lakers fan who does not happen to have Time Warner Cable... I mean, how stupid are their marketing executives?!? Every time I see on of their SportsNet Lakers commercials, I get mad. Is this how you start a channel or a company, by rubbing an entire community the wrong way?
kidhell

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Off the top of my head I think there are around 30 games nationally televised this season including those shown on NBATV.

Id advise you to check to see what cable providers are available in your area and then monitor the lengthy thread dedicated to this issue to see when one of them comes to an agreement with TWC.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:13 pm

XXIV wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:I still want to know if you get League Pass will games still be subject to blackout restrictions. Anyone know?

Local teams will be blacked out.

Even the only streaming version? I wouldn't think that would have blackouts.
cthroatgtr

Postby Kasumi on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm

These things always go down to the wire. The Lakers are way too popular in So Cal for the other providers to not strike a deal to show the games. It will happen, it will just be last-minute. Of course, I have TWC so I'm a bit less anxious about it.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby OX1947 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:23 pm

kidhell wrote:I can not believe how stupid Time Warner Cable is regarding their new SportsNet channel. Now, just because they may have overpaid by an extreme amount for the exclusive rights to the Lakers for the next 25 or whatever years, means that we all now must suffer as a result. And what genius work for TWC who would want to so badly burn such a dedicated fan-base as Lakers fans. They should have done a short term, year or two long deal with all cable carriers to establish themselves as the Lakers new home, then, if necessary, do a price increase or renegotiate longer term deals to provide their channel to carriers. But right off the bad, they go and put a bad taste in the mouth of any Lakers fan who does not happen to have Time Warner Cable... I mean, how stupid are their marketing executives?!? Every time I see on of their SportsNet Lakers commercials, I get mad. Is this how you start a channel or a company, by rubbing an entire community the wrong way?

Very good post. And it is practices like this that have cemented why I will never spend one dime on cable with TW for the rest of my life. I understand most corp companies are greedy (bleep) (bleep), but TWC took it to another level. Time Warner is a gazillion dollar business and I use to go to TW store fronts and they had the biggest slaps working there with the worst customer service and the WORST tv packages known to man. And on top of that, overpaid for nothing but basic crap. Now, unfortunately, I am still stuck with TW internet and phone, but that will soon change as Verizon Fios has finally started the process in my area to put that service in by putting the fiber optics in the ground.

Now, after TW was seeing how people were leaving in droves to Directv, Dish, etc, THEN they finally decided to start spending money on the product. And of course, as soon as they did, they went back to being the same ole pieces of (bleep) they always have been. They could have actually done something good for once and had this thing settled before October 1, BUT NO, they are going to deprive hundreds of thousands of Laker fans the first day of the flagship channel.

I am somewhat disappointed in the Lakers org for this too. If its that important to not have certain sideline reporters on a broadcast but not be upfront on having their fans actually watch the damn games.

I know this will get done, but not having it done by today just proves more and more that they corp mother (bleep) care less and less about their customers and the only way to combat it is make sure they don't get a dime of our money. No matter what.
OX1947

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Kasumi wrote:These things always go down to the wire. The Lakers are way too popular in So Cal for the other providers to not strike a deal to show the games. It will happen, it will just be last-minute. Of course, I have TWC so I'm a bit less anxious about it.

Same, but people who are so upset with TWC really see to not understand how these things work. Everyone is just negotiating the right price. This is how these things work. Next season will yield the same or similar results with the Dodgers. These channels take a lot of money to manage and maintain.

The whole reason TWC paid for this was because they know they're going to make money from the other providers who HAVE to pay for this to keep a large portion of their customers. These things take tie and require patience.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:37 pm

^^ TWC just did what most other corporations would do if they had the chance. Just look at DirecTV and Sunday Ticket up until recently. And really as much as its likely that they're setting the price way too high, providers looking to strike a deal may be low-balling intentionally as well, making it hard to compromise. We just dont know. This is all just business negotiations as realdeal said.

As for the Lakers org, they've shown time and time again that they'll write the big checks if they think the team can win a championship and this deal gives them more freedom to do so. Thats most important in my opinion.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby OX1947 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Kasumi wrote:These things always go down to the wire. The Lakers are way too popular in So Cal for the other providers to not strike a deal to show the games. It will happen, it will just be last-minute. Of course, I have TWC so I'm a bit less anxious about it.

Same, but people who are so upset with TWC really see to not understand how these things work. Everyone is just negotiating the right price. This is how these things work. Next season will yield the same or similar results with the Dodgers. These channels take a lot of money to manage and maintain.

The whole reason TWC paid for this was because they know they're going to make money from the other providers who HAVE to pay for this to keep a large portion of their customers. These things take tie and require patience.

That's all you hear these days. "but you do not understand". Understand? What the hell don't we understand? There are 686,000 satellite users in LA, largest in the country for one area. So, now we have to hear how we don't "understand". As a matter of a fact, I understand very damn well. One thing I hate more then anything is when someone acts like they know what I am thinking. Someone "thinking" they know what best for you. That's why this country is in the toilet hole, because of crap like that.

We all know what they are doing, they are trying to get people to move to their stupid worthless programming. Well guess what, a lot of us already did and they took a nice (bleep) on us. That's what this is ALL about. They finally submitted to the NFL and put the Redzone channel and NFL Network on after 8 years. They overpaid by millions to get the Lakers because they were losing so many customers due to their greed and not give a flying (bleep) about their customers, that they finally started doing something. And guess what, as soon as they did something, then they reverted back to the same aholes they have always been.

TWC can take their programming and stick it. I will never pay for their TV crap again. This is 2012, there are plenty of avenues to watch every single Laker game.

The only way you truly make noise in this country is actually DOING, not complaining and then allow yourself to continue to take it up the butt and giving your hard earned money to boot.

I have no doubt the greedy (bleep) at TWC will have a deal before the regular season with with the main providers, but they could have had some really good PR by setting it up by tonight so we could see the first day tomorrow.
OX1947

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion