TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:^^ TWC just did what most other corporations would do if they had the chance. Just look at DirecTV and Sunday Ticket up until recently. And really as much as its likely that they're setting the price way too high, providers looking to strike a deal may be low-balling intentionally as well, making it hard to compromise. We just dont know. This is all just business negotiations as realdeal said.

As for the Lakers org, they've shown time and time again that they'll write the big checks if they think the team can win a championship and this deal gives them more freedom to do so. Thats most important in my opinion.
^Great point. If it weren't for this deal they wouldn't be able to field this amazing team anyway. Is this ideal? No, negotiations never are that's why they're called negotiations, but it is necessary to provide the best possible product for us fans.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:02 pm

Whoa whoa whoa you need to calm down towards me. I didn't do anything to you. :man10:

OX1947 wrote:That's all you hear these days. "but you do not understand". Understand? What the hell don't we understand? There are 686,000 satellite users in LA, largest in the country for one area. So, now we have to hear how we don't "understand". As a matter of a fact, I understand very damn well. One thing I hate more then anything is when someone acts like they know what I am thinking. Someone "thinking" they know what best for you. That's why this country is in the toilet hole, because of crap like that.

Great conversation for another place. But I'm not telling you what to do, so I don't know why you went off on that tangent here.

OX1947 wrote:We all know what they are doing, they are trying to get people to move to their stupid worthless programming. Well guess what, a lot of us already did and they took a nice (bleep) on us. That's what this is ALL about.
I'm sorry, but that's wrong. They're trying to get paid. Having people switch to their programming is certainly AMONG the things they want, but they know that's not exactly likely. How likely is it that most people leave those things that are comfortable for them and go do something else? Very unlikely. The majority of the money they're going to make from this is from advertising and from other providers PAYING for the channel to keep their customers. They aren't necessarily expecting many people to actually switch coverage. That's less likely than other carriers simply picking up the coverage.
OX1947 wrote:TWC can take their programming and stick it. I will never pay for their TV crap again. This is 2012, there are plenty of avenues to watch every single Laker game.
True, so why are you so upset? You can stream it, you can go to another place to watch it... I'm not sure why you're so angry honestly... I'd be more upset if I wasn't already a TWC customer, but I suppose I'm more understanding of the situation the Lakers (as in the Busses) are in. Look at it this way: if this wasn't happening, we wouldn't have the great team we have now. It's a process and you have to be patient with it man.
OX1947 wrote:I have no doubt the greedy (bleep) at TWC will have a deal before the regular season with with the main providers, but they could have had some really good PR by setting it up by tonight so we could see the first day tomorrow.

Well I'm not sure what makes them greedy unless it's greed to want to make the most money you can. Honestly, it's not their responsibility to get coverage to people who aren't on their service. That's DirecTV's responsibility. Or Cox's. Or Charter's. Time Warner did the best thing for their company and the rest of the providers need to come to an agreement. I'm not sure why you're coming down so hard on Time Warner when it's YOUR provider that hasn't come to an agreement.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby OX1947 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:20 pm

therealdeal wrote:Whoa whoa whoa you need to calm down towards me. I didn't do anything to you. :man10:

OX1947 wrote:That's all you hear these days. "but you do not understand". Understand? What the hell don't we understand? There are 686,000 satellite users in LA, largest in the country for one area. So, now we have to hear how we don't "understand". As a matter of a fact, I understand very damn well. One thing I hate more then anything is when someone acts like they know what I am thinking. Someone "thinking" they know what best for you. That's why this country is in the toilet hole, because of crap like that.

Great conversation for another place. But I'm not telling you what to do, so I don't know why you went off on that tangent here.

OX1947 wrote:We all know what they are doing, they are trying to get people to move to their stupid worthless programming. Well guess what, a lot of us already did and they took a nice (bleep) on us. That's what this is ALL about.
I'm sorry, but that's wrong. They're trying to get paid. Having people switch to their programming is certainly AMONG the things they want, but they know that's not exactly likely. How likely is it that most people leave those things that are comfortable for them and go do something else? Very unlikely. The majority of the money they're going to make from this is from advertising and from other providers PAYING for the channel to keep their customers. They aren't necessarily expecting many people to actually switch coverage. That's less likely than other carriers simply picking up the coverage.
OX1947 wrote:TWC can take their programming and stick it. I will never pay for their TV crap again. This is 2012, there are plenty of avenues to watch every single Laker game.
True, so why are you so upset? You can stream it, you can go to another place to watch it... I'm not sure why you're so angry honestly... I'd be more upset if I wasn't already a TWC customer, but I suppose I'm more understanding of the situation the Lakers (as in the Busses) are in. Look at it this way: if this wasn't happening, we wouldn't have the great team we have now. It's a process and you have to be patient with it man.
OX1947 wrote:I have no doubt the greedy (bleep) at TWC will have a deal before the regular season with with the main providers, but they could have had some really good PR by setting it up by tonight so we could see the first day tomorrow.

Well I'm not sure what makes them greedy unless it's greed to want to make the most money you can. Honestly, it's not their responsibility to get coverage to people who aren't on their service. That's DirecTV's responsibility. Or Cox's. Or Charter's. Time Warner did the best thing for their company and the rest of the providers need to come to an agreement. I'm not sure why you're coming down so hard on Time Warner when it's YOUR provider that hasn't come to an agreement.


Greed is not about making money. Greed is having power over people who you know can not do anything about it. That is why America doesn't allow Monopoly's. Making money has nothing to do with this. This is Time Warner we are talking about. This company is as popular and sustainable as Apple, Disney, GE, etc. Maybe I let myself become an idealist too much. Maybe it would have been nice after all these years that TW has deprived their customers of normal accommodations to build some good PR and allow their exclusive product to be seen by those people who have helped build the Lakers. Maybe being a cynic is an easier life.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:33 pm

OX1947 wrote:Greed is not about making money. Greed is having power over people who you know can not do anything about it. That is why America doesn't allow Monopoly's. Making money has nothing to do with this. This is Time Warner we are talking about. This company is as popular and sustainable as Apple, Disney, GE, etc. Maybe I let myself become an idealist too much. Maybe it would have been nice after all these years that TW has deprived their customers of normal accommodations to build some good PR and allow their exclusive product to be seen by those people who have helped build the Lakers. Maybe being a cynic is an easier life.

Yes, they have the power, but that's not the point really. The point is that your provider needs to fork over the dough to make it happen. You're willing to pay 6-8 bucks right? Well it's up to your provider to settle on that because what they're trying to do is make it so you pay 2-3 bucks or so. It's their responsibility though to provide your service for you.

I think you're letting your previous interactions with TWC affect the way you're viewing this negotiation a little too much. Just my opinion. You're making it personal when it's all just business my friend.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby dmaul on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm caving in and getting Time Warner. I've never had cable before because I don't really watch tv but I was hoping the deal with Direct TV would have gotten done by now just because everyone says Direct TV is the better service, the better product, more reliable signal, etc. If I have to pay to watch my beloved Lakers now then why mess around and wait for all these providers to finish jerking each other around and the fans, potentially missing the beginning of the season.

I just need basic cable + this special channel. So I called today and it will cost $29.99 for basic service plus $8.00 for TWC SportsNet, for a total of $38/month. That's for the first 12 months. Who knows how much after that. They told me it usually wouldn't increase by more than $10/month. Maybe by then the mess will be sorted out and I can jump to someone else like Direct TV.
dmaul

 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 5:46 pm

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:26 pm

^ How'd you watch games before without having cable?
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby KB8SD on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 pm

dmaul wrote:I'm caving in and getting Time Warner. I've never had cable before because I don't really watch tv but I was hoping the deal with Direct TV would have gotten done by now just because everyone says Direct TV is the better service, the better product, more reliable signal, etc. If I have to pay to watch my beloved Lakers now then why mess around and wait for all these providers to finish jerking each other around and the fans, potentially missing the beginning of the season.

I just need basic cable + this special channel. So I called today and it will cost $29.99 for basic service plus $8.00 for TWC SportsNet, for a total of $38/month. That's for the first 12 months. Who knows how much after that. They told me it usually wouldn't increase by more than $10/month. Maybe by then the mess will be sorted out and I can jump to someone else like Direct TV.


Yeah the only good thing about Time Warner Cable is that they don't require you to sign up for a 2 year contract like Directv where if you cancel service before the contract is fulfilled the customer has to pay $20 for each remaining month on the contract.I know AT&T U-Verse has a contract also.Not sure about Verizon Fios or other TV providers.Dish Network has a contract also.
KB8SD

 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby JGC on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:59 pm

OX1947 wrote:
JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:No one gives a rat's (bleep) about the PAC-12 network. This is the Lakers we are talking about.


The PAC-12 network recently struck a deal with ESPN & Fox to the tune of $3 BILLION over 12 years (that's 25% MORE on a per year basis than the Lakers deal). And this is on top of the deals with the individual providers themselves such as Dish, Cox, TWC, etc. Their coverage is reported to be around 60 million! Anyone with knowledge of the situation could not possibly conclude that no one cares about the PAC-12 Network. It might have been more accurate to say everyone cares except DirecTV! Haha.

I can only presume that your comment was made without a proper understanding of the actual magnitude of the PAC-12 Network.

Either way, the point is, DirecTV is one of the only providers in the Southland that doesn't offer the PAC-12 Network, and its massive reach, to its customers. And so there is no guarantee they will offer TWCSportsNet either.

In fact, I'd be most concerned if I was a satellite subscriber (specifically Dish first, but then DirecTV next). If TWC offers TWCSportsNet to all of the other cable companies only then that would help them in the cable vs satellite battle. Bars and residences almost always have a cable option. Of course, in the end, it will come down to who is willing to pay, and DirecTV has shown already that they won't pay a price they aren't comfortable with, even if we really want them to and lots of bars have them.


I think you presume a little too much about people you do not know. I am in the business of common sense, not wishful thinking. I am not sitting in my house WISHING for anything. It is called common sense. I have been to at least 20 sports bars in Southern California, from Hooters, to Buffalo Wild Wings to rinky dink Joe Shmoe sport bar. Not ONE didn't have DirecTV. Not ONE. You may know some, I don't. They all have Directv. Bars care about Sunday Ticket, number 1, and then everything else 2nd. And if you think DirecTV isn't going to get it's share of the Lakers in LA or the Inland Empire, well, you may want to go look at supply and demand models and Economics 101 with an emphasis in supply and demand.


Actually, I think there is a good chance that every major provider will eventually be able to offer the Lakers. I think some providers have a greater chance than others however.

You're right that most of the sports bars have DirecTV. But a lot of them have a cable feed also. Given recent events, it is possible that DirectTV is one of the providers that doesn't strike a deal. If they can't get a deal on their terms, they have shown a willingness to walk away. (See Viacom/DirecTV dispute which is now resolved, and as I mentioned earlier Pac-12 Network, still unresolved).

This could also be a part of TWC's overall strategy to beat the satellite companies. TWC and Cox for instance don't really compete since there are very few markets where both are available. When a person signs up for Cox, they are usually not a lost opportunity for TWC, whereas every single DirecTV subscriber is a lost opportunity for TWC. I'd be willing to bet that a large number of Lakers fans would dump satellite for cable if that was the only way to get it.

So maybe they deal with the cable companies. If there's money to be made by broadcasting Lakers, Galaxy, Sparks and Pac-12 football & basketball games then surely these bars will sign up for cable (in some cases, in addition to a DirecTV feed for the Sunday Ticket). The point is, the fact that bars have DirecTV now, doesn't necessitate that TWC will offer TWCSportsNet to DirecTV like you assert.

Do you happen to have DirecTV by chance?
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby OX1947 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:10 pm

JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:No one gives a rat's (bleep) about the PAC-12 network. This is the Lakers we are talking about.


The PAC-12 network recently struck a deal with ESPN & Fox to the tune of $3 BILLION over 12 years (that's 25% MORE on a per year basis than the Lakers deal). And this is on top of the deals with the individual providers themselves such as Dish, Cox, TWC, etc. Their coverage is reported to be around 60 million! Anyone with knowledge of the situation could not possibly conclude that no one cares about the PAC-12 Network. It might have been more accurate to say everyone cares except DirecTV! Haha.

I can only presume that your comment was made without a proper understanding of the actual magnitude of the PAC-12 Network.

Either way, the point is, DirecTV is one of the only providers in the Southland that doesn't offer the PAC-12 Network, and its massive reach, to its customers. And so there is no guarantee they will offer TWCSportsNet either.

In fact, I'd be most concerned if I was a satellite subscriber (specifically Dish first, but then DirecTV next). If TWC offers TWCSportsNet to all of the other cable companies only then that would help them in the cable vs satellite battle. Bars and residences almost always have a cable option. Of course, in the end, it will come down to who is willing to pay, and DirecTV has shown already that they won't pay a price they aren't comfortable with, even if we really want them to and lots of bars have them.


I think you presume a little too much about people you do not know. I am in the business of common sense, not wishful thinking. I am not sitting in my house WISHING for anything. It is called common sense. I have been to at least 20 sports bars in Southern California, from Hooters, to Buffalo Wild Wings to rinky dink Joe Shmoe sport bar. Not ONE didn't have DirecTV. Not ONE. You may know some, I don't. They all have Directv. Bars care about Sunday Ticket, number 1, and then everything else 2nd. And if you think DirecTV isn't going to get it's share of the Lakers in LA or the Inland Empire, well, you may want to go look at supply and demand models and Economics 101 with an emphasis in supply and demand.


Actually, I think there is a good chance that every major provider will eventually be able to offer the Lakers. I think some providers have a greater chance than others however.

You're right that most of the sports bars have DirecTV. But a lot of them have a cable feed also. Given recent events, it is possible that DirectTV is one of the providers that doesn't strike a deal. If they can't get a deal on their terms, they have shown a willingness to walk away. (See Viacom/DirecTV dispute which is now resolved, and as I mentioned earlier Pac-12 Network, still unresolved).

This could also be a part of TWC's overall strategy to beat the satellite companies. TWC and Cox for instance don't really compete since there are very few markets where both are available. When a person signs up for Cox, they are usually not a lost opportunity for TWC, whereas every single DirecTV subscriber is a lost opportunity for TWC. I'd be willing to bet that a large number of Lakers fans would dump satellite for cable if that was the only way to get it.

So maybe they deal with the cable companies. If there's money to be made by broadcasting Lakers, Galaxy, Sparks and Pac-12 football & basketball games then surely these bars will sign up for cable (in some cases, in addition to a DirecTV feed for the Sunday Ticket). The point is, the fact that bars have DirecTV now, doesn't necessitate that TWC will offer TWCSportsNet to DirecTV like you assert.

Do you happen to have DirecTV by chance?


Yes.
OX1947

 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Lakeshow75 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:13 pm

For those of you with TWC, see you at 7pm tomorrow on channel 403!
User avatar
Lakeshow75

 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:52 pm
Location: Santa Clarita

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby JGC on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:15 pm

therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:Greed is not about making money. Greed is having power over people who you know can not do anything about it. That is why America doesn't allow Monopoly's. Making money has nothing to do with this. This is Time Warner we are talking about. This company is as popular and sustainable as Apple, Disney, GE, etc. Maybe I let myself become an idealist too much. Maybe it would have been nice after all these years that TW has deprived their customers of normal accommodations to build some good PR and allow their exclusive product to be seen by those people who have helped build the Lakers. Maybe being a cynic is an easier life.

Yes, they have the power, but that's not the point really. The point is that your provider needs to fork over the dough to make it happen. You're willing to pay 6-8 bucks right? Well it's up to your provider to settle on that because what they're trying to do is make it so you pay 2-3 bucks or so. It's their responsibility though to provide your service for you.

I think you're letting your previous interactions with TWC affect the way you're viewing this negotiation a little too much. Just my opinion. You're making it personal when it's all just business my friend.


therealdeal is right on this one. If you don't have TWC (and I don't) then you should be mad at your provider, not TWC. Is DirecTV greedy for negotiating exclusivity over Sunday Ticket? (Though, maybe it is greedy that DirecTV doesn't offer Red Zone to their customers a la carte when everyone else does! Haha)

TWC wants a deal on terms that is favorable to them. DirecTV wants a deal on terms that is favorable to them. The goals are the same here.

I'm confident another provider other than TWC will offer this by the start of the season. I'm also confident not every provider will carry it. The question is, who is going to carry it and who isn't? I just hope Cox gets it because switching sounds like a pain in the arse.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby JGC on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Lakeshow75 wrote:For those of you with TWC, see you at 7pm tomorrow on channel 403!


Jerk! :man10:
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:38 pm

just set my dvr to record every new episode of backstage lakers, lakers girls and #lakeshow. plus theyre showing an interview with steve nash on tuesday and season preview on friday. :jam2:
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20560
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby purp n gold on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Time Warner is gonna drag this out until the regular season... try and convert as many subscribers as they can out of fear.

If not, the Lakers have like 30 games on national broadcast right? :bang: :bang: :bang:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
User avatar
purp n gold

 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby KB8SD on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Has anyone heard of this person Jabari A. Davis who supposedly works as a Laker reporter.

He posted a tweet that Time Warner and Directv have reached an agreement to carry the channels.

Here is his twitter page:

https://twitter.com/RealTalkOnSprts

I've never heard of this guy.
KB8SD

 
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:58 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 am

^ Please be true.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40952
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 am

LOS ANGELES -- A few months ago, Time Warner Cable Inc. was crying foul at the high price it had to pay to air Knicks and Rangers games in New York. Now, the shoe is on the other foot.

The nation's No. 4 TV distributor bought the regional TV rights for the Los Angeles Lakers and pro soccer's L.A. Galaxy last year for an estimated $3 billion over 20 years. It's launching two new channels based on those rights on Monday. To help pay for them, it is demanding payment from other TV distributors like Dish Network Corp. and DirecTV.

Time Warner Cable is asking as much as $3.95 per subscriber per month from competitors in the L.A. area, said a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because the negotiations are confidential and the details were not yet final.

That would make it the second most expensive regional sports network in the nation behind Comcast SportsNet Washington, which charges $4.02 per subscriber per month, according to research firm SNL Kagan.

It hasn't secured deals yet and likely won't until the regular season starts on Oct. 30.


"We think the price we're asking our distribution partners to pay is one of the better value propositions out there," said Mark Shuken, senior vice president for TWC Sports Regional Networks. Shuken declined to discuss the rates Time Warner is seeking.

Bob Toevs, a spokesman for Dish, confirmed that talks are ongoing, but said "it will have to be a good value for us and, most importantly, for our customers." DirecTV said in a statement that it is "very engaged" in talks to carry the channels, but said it has a responsibility to its customers to "avoid any extraordinary increases" in their monthly bills.

The main reason to buy the rights is to contain rising sports costs, Shuken said. It's better to be a rights buyer, he said, rather than to haggle with other channel operators and be subject to "big bumps" in prices every few years.

That makes sense, according to Tom Eagan, an analyst with Canaccord Genuity, who estimates the deal will be break-even or slightly positive in the end, but give the company more certainty about its future costs.

"I think we've all been consistently amazed by the increasing costs of sports," Eagan said. "I think Time Warner Cable feels there's some value to owning the rights and the actual channels as well."

Time Warner Cable will bear production costs and has spent money on a new studio in the suburb of El Segundo. It has hired familiar on-air talent like former Laker James Worthy and reporter Chris McGee, who worked the sideline for Fox Sports West, which carried most of the Lakers' home games for more than a decade before this deal.

Offsetting those costs, Time Warner Cable will gain revenue by selling commercial time and the channels -- Time Warner Cable Sportsnet and the Spanish-language Time Warner Cable Deportes -- to other TV providers.

It's not unusual for a TV distributor to get into the business of buying sports rights directly.

Comcast Corp., the nation's largest TV provider, operates 11 regional sports networks, including one in Houston that will be the exclusive home of the NBA's Houston Rockets and also launches Monday. SNL's Kagan said there are about 40 regional sports networks across the country. Many are owned by cable TV companies.

Assuming that deals are reached with all of its competitors, the new Lakers channels will be available to almost all of the 4.8 million people who already pay for TV in Los Angeles, including the 1.7 million who get service through Time Warner Cable.

But Los Angeles also has around 686,000 homes that get their TV signals for free via antenna, the highest number of any market in the nation, according to SNL data.

That means that fans who were used to watching Lakers' away games for free on KCAL 9, a CBS Corp. TV station, will now have to pay for TV from a provider that carries the channel. Either that or hit the local sports bar when the Lakers are out of town.


http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/33194/time-warner-flips-switch-on-new-lakers-channels
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby dmaul on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 am

Tobias Funke wrote:^ How'd you watch games before without having cable?

I watched on KCAL and whatever games they broadcast on ABC. The home games I'd listen to on the radio, 710 AM. Made me sad when KCAL was gone.
dmaul

 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 5:46 pm

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby JGC on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:03 am

purp n gold wrote:Time Warner is gonna drag this out until the regular season... try and convert as many subscribers as they can out of fear.

If not, the Lakers have like 30 games on national broadcast right? :bang: :bang: :bang:


I think the main reason they are dragging it out, is to maximize their return from other providers more so than individual subscribers. I mean, a lot of people live in areas where TWC isn't even an option such as myself.

I'm kind of hoping Kobe and the other players live in an area where TWC isn't available. Maybe they can pressure the Lakers to pressure TWC into more palatable terms for the other providers. Haha. Can you imagine if Kobe, Howard, Nash, Mitch, even Jerry couldn't want the Lakers channel? Ha!
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 am

dmaul wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:^ How'd you watch games before without having cable?

I watched on KCAL and whatever games they broadcast on ABC. The home games I'd listen to on the radio, 710 AM. Made me sad when KCAL was gone.


I was gonna suggest League Pass, but then the games would be blacked out in your rarea I believe. Well I could think of something Id try to work around this (VPN), but that's another story.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:23 am

TWC Sports Net debuts tonight at 7PM.

Stoked :jam2:
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 am

JGC wrote:
OX1947 wrote:I have no doubt Directv will have it. I would guess 90% of all bars have Directv because of the Sunday Ticket. Those bars are not going to leave Sunday Ticket and southern cal can not have a bar without Laker games. My guess is TWC will be on Directv when it matters, when the regular season starts. And that is fine by me. This is 2012, any backstage show stuff TWC has in the mean time will get posted on youtube and torrents are available for preseason games.


Let me guess. You have DirecTV. Because the lack of doubt that DirecTV will have it sounds more like wishful thinking! Haha.

As a Cox subscriber though, if DirecTV is the only one other than TWC to get Lakers games, I would switch in a moment's notice.

But the bars argument, while a good one, is more hope than logical. I mean, Pac-12 Network is not on DirecTV and one would think So Cal could not have bars without USC and UCLA games right?

Bars will need to ramp up and offer multiple solutions (i.e. DirecTV and TWC) so they can offer their customers all of the available content.


:man10: you cannot compare the Pac-12 network with Sunday Ticket. Sorry, but no.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
User avatar
Psychobroker

 
Posts: 5986
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:07 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 am

Let's hope a deal gets done soon!
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 am

dmaul wrote:I'm caving in and getting Time Warner. I've never had cable before because I don't really watch tv but I was hoping the deal with Direct TV would have gotten done by now just because everyone says Direct TV is the better service, the better product, more reliable signal, etc. If I have to pay to watch my beloved Lakers now then why mess around and wait for all these providers to finish jerking each other around and the fans, potentially missing the beginning of the season.

I just need basic cable + this special channel. So I called today and it will cost $29.99 for basic service plus $8.00 for TWC SportsNet, for a total of $38/month. That's for the first 12 months. Who knows how much after that. They told me it usually wouldn't increase by more than $10/month. Maybe by then the mess will be sorted out and I can jump to someone else like Direct TV.


DONT DO IT!!! There's just no way DirecTV doesn't pick up the channels, not at the possibility of losing half or more of their L.A. subscriber base.

TWC TV is terrible imho, for reasons I outlined earlier. I switched TO them to save some $$, and the experience just wasn't worth it. Now I'm back with DTV, have the Big 10 Network, Sunday Ticket, and soon to have TWC's channel I am sure. Missing out on the content (for now) and possibly the preseason (live), is still worth it to me to stick with DTV for the overall much better experience.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
User avatar
Psychobroker

 
Posts: 5986
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:07 am

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby kidhell on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 am

Dmaul... don't do it man... we tried TWC for a very short time two or three years ago when there was another channel dispute of some sort (can't remember) and after one week of interrupted programming, pixelated signal, and DVR record-programming malfunctions, I quickly called them back and had them remove their crap from out house and went back to Dish Network, who provides impeccable service. I thought that a grounded "cable" would be stronger signal and more sturdy feed then through a satellite dish... but wrong! TWC has these neighborhood "bundles" of cable and wiring that serves too many homes and hook-ups per neighborhood. They are trying to maximize service to the most homes with as few bundles as they can get away with... and this degrades their signal to each house. You may get extremely lucky and be in a neighborhood with few TWC users, and get a maximum signal... but that is unlikely. Just wanted to give you some stuff to consider before you jump ship! ...and selfishly, I want as few people as possible to switch to them so that they feel the pressure to cave in our their outrageous prices to provide the channel to other carriers. But good luck with your decision... and GO LAKERS!!!
kidhell

 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.