TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby KB8SD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Vito Andolini wrote:Got pretty fed up today and decided to give DirecTV a call to see what was going on, last time I called I got someone in Georgia reading from a cue card trying to get me to buy NBA League Pass(even though it blacks out home games). So this time I decided to ask for a manager, after going back and fourth with the first lady I was giving to an actual DirecTV rep who was in the know..

What he said was negotiations are on-going and may take some time, a deal could be struck tomorrow or it could be struck NEXT YEAR. But what he said was TWC was #1 in so cal with 2 million subscribers, next in line was DirecTV with a little over 1 million. He said TWC REALLY WANTS to make a deal with DirecTV FIRST AND FOREMOST. The little guys may follow after (AT&T, Verizon, Charter). Basically he said to hang in there and that he was confident TWC Sportsnet would be on DirecTV by Oct 31st.

I told him I was on the verge on cancelling and switching to TWC. Then he wanted my cell phone cause he wanted to call me back in 2 days. He said in 2 days I will give you a call back and he may have an update for me.

Crossing every limb possible.

Did Directv ever call you back and give you an update ?
KB8SD

Postby Vito Andolini on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes.

I got a call back yesterday from the same guy. He was real hush on the situation and said he couldn't get into specific details because he's not in the place to speak on it, basically he summed it up by saying TWC is asking a ridiculous amount of money for the channel and it doesn't seem like they want to play ball, but what TWC is doing is smart... If TWC were to come to a deal right now NOBODY would switch over to TWC. SO they have ALL THE LEVERAGE. It would make no sense for them to get something done right now.

He told me not to worry though, there's millions of other people who want this channel outside of LA. The Lakers really are America's team. Something will get done before OCT 30th. If not, they'll offer the channel for $3.95 until a real deal is reached.
Vito Andolini

Postby Kasumi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:07 pm

I went to a craft fair at a local church today and a lady had made a Lakers sign for the front yard, I had to buy it. Walking around carrying my sign, every single person stopped to say Go Lakers! One lady, probably about 90 years old, told me how sad she was that she can't get the channel. She has TWC but doesn't have a DVR, it's just basic cable. I told her to go home and look for channel 43, she was almost skipping out of the church she was so happy!

True story.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

Kasumi wrote:I went to a craft fair at a local church today and a lady had made a Lakers sign for the front yard, I had to buy it. Walking around carrying my sign, every single person stopped to say Go Lakers! One lady, probably about 90 years old, told me how sad she was that she can't get the channel. She has TWC but doesn't have a DVR, it's just basic cable. I told her to go home and look for channel 43, she was almost skipping out of the church she was so happy!

True story.

Haha, that's awesome. :jam2:
XXIV

bad news for fios

Postby marklar20 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:17 pm

marklar20

Postby KB8SD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Kasumi wrote:I went to a craft fair at a local church today and a lady had made a Lakers sign for the front yard, I had to buy it. Walking around carrying my sign, every single person stopped to say Go Lakers! One lady, probably about 90 years old, told me how sad she was that she can't get the channel. She has TWC but doesn't have a DVR, it's just basic cable. I told her to go home and look for channel 43, she was almost skipping out of the church she was so happy!

True story.

KB8SD

Postby Legendary on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:52 pm

From a Verizon employee on their official forums:

Re: Lakers TV

10-05-2012 03:45 PM

We're aware of the channel and have been actively engaged with Time Warner Cable over the past several months. Unfortunately, at this time we have been unable to reach acceptable carriage terms for our customers.

A few key things to keep in mind:

1. Verizon has been and continues to be in negotiations.

2. No other provider (other than TWC) has signed a carriage agreement yet.

3. About 1/3 of the Lakers games this season (including the first few games) will be aired on National TV and available to FiOS TV customers.

You can check out the full TV schedule for the Lakers here:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule

And for the Clippers fans out there, you'll still be able to find games on Prime Ticket, channel 577 (HD) or 77 (SD).

A handful of the Clippers games are also nationally televised which means they'll be on NBA TV, ESPN, ABC or TNT instead.

http://www.nba.com/clippers/schedule

The part about 1/3 of the games being on National TV, made me lol. Like I'm supposed to be content with that...

They're going to be shocked when all the Laker fans who are with Verizon drop them and go to TWC or whoever ends up carrying this channel.
Legendary

Re: bad news for fios

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 pm

marklar20 wrote:Image

Yeah me too except I'm a Charter subscriber and they told me I had DirecTV and needed to call them.

This is such a steaming load for us fans with this amazing team ready to start playing and 1st pre season game Sunday we areen't going to see. Except people with TW. :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby OX1947 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:01 pm

Those who are switching to TW right now actually delay any chance for us to get it. Catch 22.
OX1947

Postby KB8SD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Vito Andolini wrote:
He told me not to worry though, there's millions of other people who want this channel outside of LA. The Lakers really are America's team. Something will get done before OCT 30th. If not, they'll offer the channel for $3.95 until a real deal is reached.

i wouldn't the say the "Lakers are America's Team" on the level of the Yankees.

I'd say mainly the west coast.Even though whenever they go on the road the Laker fans show up in places like Washington DC, Charlotte.

I think the other millions the Directv rep was referring to are the people in the Lakers DMA zone outside of LA (Vegas, Hawaii, San Diego, Inland Empire, Bakersfield, Santa Barbra, Ventura, Riverside, Fresno, Oxnard). Directv has a bunch customers in those areas.

That's also another reason why I think Directv and the other TV providers are holding out until the last minute.If they all agreed to the rumored $3.95 fee to carry the channel that means customers monthly bills will increase probably $10 more.

Also got to remember that all of us who are die hard & bleed purple & gold and the other Laker fans on other message boards like LG may want this channel ASAP.But Directv and the other TV providers know the average consumer who aren't Laker fans or who don't care about sports don't want to see their monthly bills increased over this channel.Out number the hardcore Laker fans.

The way things are playing out now we are looking at probably no deals signed to carry the channel until maybe 11-4.The Lakers first 3 regular season games are on national TV with opening night against Dallas on TNT.The following game @ Portland on 10-31 is on NBATV which technically not everyone has that channel and I think that game will get blacked out locally.The game on 11-2 at home against the Clips is on ESPN.

I really do hope it does not get to that point though.
KB8SD

Postby KB8SD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 pm

OX1947 wrote:Those who are switching to TW right now actually delay any chance for us to get it. Catch 22.

I honestly think the number of people desperate enough and who are willing to pay the price to leave their current provider and switch to TWC is very small.

A couple reasons here:

-First every provider (Directv, Dish Network, Cox, Charter, AT&T U-Verse, Verizon Fios) all require 2 year contract agreements that have a hefty price tag to terminate your contract with them early.Directv's cancellation terms are that if you are under contract the customer is required to pay $20 for each remaining month of the 2 year contract.Listen times are tough right now with the economy.Not to many people have that cash to burn just to switch to TWC.
-Second even if the loyal and desperate fans who are willing to pay the termination fees and go through the hassle of setting up an appointment and have TWC come out and install.A lot of those people don't have TWC available in the areas they live.Due to more than likely the area being zoned off and cable service is provided by Cox or Charter.
-Third there are plenty of former TWC customers who have had their service in past and absolutely REFUSE to go back to TWC and pay them another penny for service.Time Warner Cable is constantly in the 10 top for most hated US companies by consumers.
KB8SD

Postby nthydro on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 pm

KB8SD wrote:
OX1947 wrote:Those who are switching to TW right now actually delay any chance for us to get it. Catch 22.

I honestly think the number of people desperate enough and who are willing to pay the price to leave their current provider and switch to TWC is very small.

A couple reasons here:

-First every provider (Directv, Dish Network, Cox, Charter, AT&T U-Verse, Verizon Fios) all require 2 year contract agreements that have a hefty price tag to terminate your contract with them early.Directv's cancellation terms are that if you are under contract the customer is required to pay $20 for each remaining month of the 2 year contract.Listen times are tough right now with the economy.Not to many people have that cash to burn just to switch to TWC.
-Second even if the loyal and desperate fans who are willing to pay the termination fees and go through the hassle of setting up an appointment and have TWC come out and install.A lot of those people don't have TWC available in the areas they live.Due to more than likely the area being zoned off and cable service is provided by Cox or Charter.
-Third there are plenty of former TWC customers who have had their service in past and absolutely REFUSE to go back to TWC and pay them another penny for service.Time Warner Cable is constantly in the 10 top for most hated US companies by consumers.

I have Uverse and there's no contract. Same with Cox.

But anyways this whole situation is very depressing. Looks like we're gonna miss the preseason at least. :man5:
nthydro

Postby KB8SD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:32 pm

nthydro wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

A couple reasons here:

But anyways this whole situation is very depressing. Looks like we're gonna miss the preseason at least. :man5:

Are you sure?

Read the TOS here:

Changes to Fees and Charges. If you signed up for Services for a specified term, you agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay any applicable early termination fee. At the conclusion of your term, AT&T will automatically begin charging the applicable month-to-month fee. If you purchased the Services as part of a bundled offering with one or more other products and are receiving a discount based upon that bundled offering, your discount may cease and you may be billed the standard monthly rate for the Services if you change or disconnect one or more of the services in the applicable bundle. AT&T may, upon notice required by applicable laws, at any time change the amount of or basis for determining any fee or charge or institute new fees or charges.

Link:

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

If you have been with them more than 2 years then yes you are out of contract.
KB8SD

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 am

I have to ask this question for any San Diego residents that have TWC. I called up my buddy tonight who lives by Mission Bay who has TWC and asked if he could record the game on Sunday for me. He was at home when I called and he went to his TV, turned to channel 403, and when he was going to set to record the game he told me that a message popped up and said that they game will be blacked out?????? :man3:

How is that possible if he has TWC?? Can anyone who has TWC check to see if they have the same message or maybe its just San Diego residents, I don't know...
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:02 am

I have Charter. $150.00 to cancel. Not having any choice, I was willing to cancel - still cheaper than eating out 10x a month, but where I am does not even get TWC.

I am dubious about this season. The cable networks have been aware of this issue for months, but still have not entered an agreement. I think it will be like the NBA strike - no deal until well into the season and everyone has lost expected profits.
CarFlagChris

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:11 am

KB8SD wrote:
nthydro wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

A couple reasons here:

Are you sure?

Read the TOS here:

Changes to Fees and Charges. If you signed up for Services for a specified term, you agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay any applicable early termination fee. At the conclusion of your term, AT&T will automatically begin charging the applicable month-to-month fee. If you purchased the Services as part of a bundled offering with one or more other products and are receiving a discount based upon that bundled offering, your discount may cease and you may be billed the standard monthly rate for the Services if you change or disconnect one or more of the services in the applicable bundle. AT&T may, upon notice required by applicable laws, at any time change the amount of or basis for determining any fee or charge or institute new fees or charges.

Link:

I've only been with them for 8 or 9 months. I signed up in-stores though. Don't know if that makes a difference. I asked more than one associate if there were any contracts and they all said no. The only thing they said was I have to keep both Internet & TV to get 1 year promo price.
nthydro

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:21 am

Hardball...TWC trying to get its money's worth...my 2 cents? switch and freak the doe with all this other cable concern... in the end, it is about your beloved Lakers, why miss it?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby KB8SD on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:25 am

nthydro wrote:
KB8SD wrote:
nthydro wrote:
KB8SD wrote:

A couple reasons here:

Are you sure?

Read the TOS here:

Link:

I've only been with them for 8 or 9 months. I signed up in-stores though. Don't know if that makes a difference. I asked more than one associate if there were any contracts and they all said no. The only thing they said was I have to keep both Internet & TV to get 1 year promo price.

Hate to break it you but that's how they dupe customers into promo's and is a reason why I don't like bundling services with one company.It's safe to say you are under contract with them.

I was a AT&T U-Verse customer for about 4 years and got them when they first became available down here in San Diego and it was because I couldn't stand TWC.When they first started offering TV service there really was no contract.Then about a a year or 2 later prices started to rise and then they were forced into making people sign contracts.

U-Verse honestly isn't bad at all and they are certainly better than TWC.But I can honestly say that I like Directv over them.
KB8SD

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:26 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Hardball...TWC trying to get its money's worth...my 2 cents? switch and freak the doe with all this other cable concern... in the end, it is about your beloved Lakers, why miss it?

The hell does "freak the doe" mean? Are you telling me to dry hump a female deer? :man3:
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 am

^ Go check out the Chis Douglas-Roberts thread. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Hardball...TWC trying to get its money's worth...my 2 cents? switch and freak the doe with all this other cable concern... in the end, it is about your beloved Lakers, why miss it?

The problem is that TWC is geographically limited, so one can only purchase it if living in a particular area.
CarFlagChris

Postby GinoDB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am

CarFlagChris wrote:

The problem is that TWC is geographically limited, so one can only purchase it if living in a particular area.

this and many of these areas are only minutes away from Staples Center
GinoDB

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:22 am

nthydro wrote:

The hell does "freak the doe" mean? Are you telling me to dry hump a female deer? :man3:

You ain't knot with CL, so it comes as no amazement to me that you have no hint what's going on Shout™
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Shout™

:man10: :man10: :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby GinoDB on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 am

CarFlagChris wrote:I have Charter. $150.00 to cancel. Not having any choice, I was willing to cancel - still cheaper than eating out 10x a month, but where I am does not even get TWC.

I am dubious about this season. The cable networks have been aware of this issue for months, but still have not entered an agreement. I think it will be like the NBA strike - no deal until well into the season and everyone has lost expected profits.

I got driect tv and was willing to switch also, but theres no TWC here either
GinoDB

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion