TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 am

GinoDB wrote:
CarFlagChris wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Hardball...TWC trying to get its money's worth...my 2 cents? switch and freak the doe with all this other cable concern... in the end, it is about your beloved Lakers, why miss it?

The problem is that TWC is geographically limited, so one can only purchase it if living in a particular area.

this and many of these areas are only minutes away from Staples Center

well that sucks. You guys are supposed to have the advantage (in watching the Lakers) being in LA and all but now it has become the reason you won't see them, even in LP. Hope it works out for you all before the season starts.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:06 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
nthydro wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Hardball...TWC trying to get its money's worth...my 2 cents? switch and freak the doe with all this other cable concern... in the end, it is about your beloved Lakers, why miss it?

The hell does "freak the doe" mean? Are you telling me to dry hump a female deer? :man3:

You ain't knot with CL, so it comes as no amazement to me that you have no hint what's going on Shout™

To the contrary playa, I be plenty knotty. Please believe it Holla™
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:09 am

therealdeal wrote:^ Go check out the Chis Douglas-Roberts thread. :man10:

Ah...it all makes sense to me now.

No actually I'm still as confused as before. But I like it. Freak da doe. Has a nice mysterious ring to it.
nthydro

Postby Johnnyboy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:18 am

Anyone have info on cox communications? Im in Orange county
www.CheckYourMD.com
Johnnyboy

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:22 am

Those who are about to switch, be warned. Time Warner Cable is one of the worst companies in existence in this country. Their customer service blows. Their product sucks. Their programing is useless. And all three of those great things will cost you a butt load to boot.
OX1947

Postby JGC on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Looks like TWC has signed its first cable customer: Bright House Networks.

http://www.multichannel.com/node/139678

Hope this doesn't mean I have to move to Bakersfield.
JGC

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:08 pm

JGC wrote:Looks like TWC has signed its first cable customer: Bright House Networks.

I believe they are owned by Time Warner so it's no surprise.
nthydro

Postby JGC on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:47 pm

nthydro wrote:
JGC wrote:Looks like TWC has signed its first cable customer: Bright House Networks.

Would it be a surprise if they were not owned by TWC?
JGC

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm

JGC wrote:
nthydro wrote:

Would it be a surprise if they were not owned by TWC?

Yeah it would be considering none of the other big company has signed an agreement with TWC.
nthydro

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:11 pm

still not sure whether AT&T is gonna have on time or if i should just switch now
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:21 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:still not sure whether AT&T is gonna have on time or if i should just switch now

As far as I know, no one (besides Brighthouse) has signed an agreement with TWC. I think if you do switch to TWC TV, you have a 30 day period to cancel without owing anything. At least that's how it was a few years ago when I had it. You could just sign up and then cancel if AT&T picks it up within the next 30 days. Might wanna check with TWC about it though.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:26 pm

"AT&T has struck a deal to carry the regional sports network Fox Sports San Diego, which has the majority of Padres games, on its U-Verse pay-TV service.

You might wonder why this is newsworthy to the folks of Los Angeles. Well, AT&T still hasn't struck a deal to carry Time Warner Cable's SportsNet or the Spanish-language Deportes, the new regional channels launched earlier this week that are the only local outlets to see Lakers games. ATT's U-Verse has about 425,000 subscribers in the Los Angeles area.

That AT&T has wrapped up an agreement for Fox Sports San Diego before SportsNet and Deportes has some Time Warner Cable executives shaking their heads.

Cost clearly isn't an issue. Fox Sports San Diego costs more than Time Warner Cable's Los Angeles networks. According to people familiar with the matter, Fox's San Diego channel is over $4 per subscriber per month while Time Warner Cable's is $3.95.

Interestingly, while Time Warner Cable is upset that AT&T hasn't signed on to carry its channels in L.A., it still isn't carrying Fox Sports San Diego. Time Warner Cable had unsuccessfully tried to woo the Padres to be the anchor of a new sports channel there.

Its efforts, though, did force Fox to spend a lot more than it had probably anticipated shelling out to keep the Padres games. That's the main reason the price tag for that channel is so high and out of whack with the subscriber fees for other regional sports networks in bigger markets.

An AT&T spokesman declined to comment on the status of its talks with Time Warner Cable.

AT&T's U-Verse is hardly the biggest fish for Time Warner Cable. DirecTV has over 1.7 million subscribers here and Cox has about 1.2 million.

Lakers fans who are not Time Warner Cable subscribers are probably starting to get antsy, but the regular season is still almost four weeks away. These agreements are usually hammered out at the last minute, when everyone feels like they have a gun to their head.

The early ratings for SportsNet are not bad considering it is only available in Time Warner Cable's 2.3 million homes. On Wednesday, its 11 p.m. telecast of the Lakers 2010 finals win against Boston was the fifth most-watched program in Los Angeles among men 18-34."

After reading this one has to wonder wtf AT&T is doing? They're willing to pay $4 for Fox San Diego but not $3.95 for Sportsnet? :man3: :bang:
nthydro

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:29 pm

^^^
that's just effing great....these guys are done...i guess im going back to TWC
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby nthydro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:^^^

I don't blame you. If I had the option of switching to TWC I would too. No matter how crappy they are.
nthydro

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm

So anyone know the deal with Directv and if they are going to carry this channel? I used to have TWC and it was terrible. But i think i would have to switch if Directv won't carry it. I don't think i can miss most Laker games.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:^^^

And that's why they will continue to strong arm everyone, forever. Throw the emperor in the hole don't let the hate flow through you.
OX1947

Postby Legendary on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:So anyone know the deal with Directv and if they are going to carry this channel? I used to have TWC and it was terrible. But i think i would have to switch if Directv won't carry it. I don't think i can miss most Laker games.

Yeah, same here. I had TWC before, and vowed to never go back. But if DirecTV can strike a deal...I'm on board with them. Verizon (my current tv provider) can go jump in a lake with their BS.
Legendary

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Im torn here... I have FIOS but all I want to do is check out the damn Lakers game. I'm not changing providers though. It is unclear if League pass will show the local games... blah stupid cable companies
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Legendary on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:08 pm

^
I have FIOS as well...In one of my posts a few pages back a Verizon employee said they're still in negotiations with TWC. Problem is, they've been saying the same thing for MONTHS about the PAC-12 Network channel...and we still don't have it. I'm going to try and be patient and wait it out...I've accepted the fact that I'll probably miss all of the pre-season. I'm hoping Verizon can strike a deal before the regular season starts. But if another provider (other than TWC) gets this channel after the season has started, and Verizon is still talking this same ish, I'm going to have to switch.
Legendary

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Called Direct TV and went off on them..basically..they said they wont know till October 30th but they get there channel 99.9 % of the time
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby OX1947 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Laker fans have until November 4th to get by on what will be shown. November 4th is the Detroit game and it is not a national game, NBATV game, Clipper or Chicago game(A lot of providers have WGN).

As much as I love the Lakers, I have never been too hung up on the pre and post game stuff anyway. After game 12, they are all pretty much the same and post game interviews are so routine, they are the same as well. I do like the Backstage stuff, but those with knowledge of the internets, know that you can eventually watch that stuff on youtube or download the torrent.
OX1947

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 pm

KobeSystemtwofour wrote:Called Direct TV and went off on them..basically..they said they wont know till October 30th but they get there channel 99.9 % of the time

That's what i'm hoping for also. Directv is like the top dog in television providers. I would be very surprised if they don't end up providing this channel as they would lose a good number of customers if they don't.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:21 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
KobeSystemtwofour wrote:Called Direct TV and went off on them..basically..they said they wont know till October 30th but they get there channel 99.9 % of the time

That's what i'm hoping for also. Directv is like the top dog in television providers. I would be very surprised if they don't end up providing this channel as they would lose a good number of customers if they don't.

Yep, Direct TV and Cox are the number 1 and 2 cable providers in SoCal as far as how many people they cover. I belive one of the articles mentioned the breakdown was like this:

Direct TV: 1.8 million
Cox: 1.2 million

I have Cox and just hope that if Direct TV does get a deal first Cox will surely follow or vice versa.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:30 am

nthydro wrote:

i live in bakersfield... just found the channel... im all big smiles!!!! channel 1113 for me...
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby nthydro on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:00 am

Can't believe a lot of us are not going to be able to see games during this epic season :bang:
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion