TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby JGC on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:46 pm

KobeSystemtwofour wrote:I heard at Staples Center Laker fans Boo'd the crap out of TWC SportsNet..worse than when we boo the Celtics lol

Yeah ... not the sharpest set of knives in attendance that day ... haha.
JGC

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:00 pm

JGC wrote:
KobeSystemtwofour wrote:I heard at Staples Center Laker fans Boo'd the crap out of TWC SportsNet..worse than when we boo the Celtics lol

How so? Did you read the comment by a fellow poster who actually attended the game? Imo the fans there had every reason to boo and here's why:

We understand that. I was at the game last night - the first TWC promotion (regular 30 second spot), noone booed. Then in the second quarter, they flashed the logo, and had Laurence Tanter read out a 30 second speech about calling your cable provider to convince them to offer the channel, and go to iwantmylakers.com.

THATS when the fans booed - noone wants to pay to come see the Lakers to be asked to call their cable provider to participate in the fight between TWC and the cable providers. Its only when they mentioned, hey, we know you aren't getting the channels, call your provider to request it (basically asking to increase TWC's leverage), that fan's got upset, and rightly so. It was a dumb announcement, and insulting to the fans who paid money to come see the team play.
XXIV

Postby JGC on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:11 pm

XXIV wrote:
JGC wrote:

How so? Did you read the comment by a fellow poster who actually attended the game? Imo the fans there had every reason to boo and here's why:

We understand that. I was at the game last night - the first TWC promotion (regular 30 second spot), noone booed. Then in the second quarter, they flashed the logo, and had Laurence Tanter read out a 30 second speech about calling your cable provider to convince them to offer the channel, and go to iwantmylakers.com.

THATS when the fans booed - noone wants to pay to come see the Lakers to be asked to call their cable provider to participate in the fight between TWC and the cable providers. Its only when they mentioned, hey, we know you aren't getting the channels, call your provider to request it (basically asking to increase TWC's leverage), that fan's got upset, and rightly so. It was a dumb announcement, and insulting to the fans who paid money to come see the team play.

But that's not why they booed. That's some sort of story that someone made up to try to give some kind of reasonable explanation as to why people would boo.

The real reason they booed is simply because they can't watch the games yet. That's it. Has nothing to do being asked to do something or being insulting. Half the people don't have a clue what's going on. Heck, we have hardcore Laker fan CL posters who had no idea and so I'm pretty sure the clowns in the top row of section 328 aren't on top of it either.
JGC

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 pm

LTLakerFan wrote::man10: Your trip was to Mars?

:man10: You'll be surprised how hard it is to watch the Lakers outside of So Cal.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby cleverdevil on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:40 am

Sorry to interrupt my fellow Lakers fans. Had a question that I cannot seem to find an answer for: I live in Ohio, have TWC and purchased Sportsnet with the sole intent of being able to watch my Lakers every game. For some reason whenever a game (or subsiquent "Lakers Compactico" program) is on the channel, it is unavailable to me and I only get an "Unavailable in your area" screen. Is this something that will be continuing throughout the regular season? If so, then I guess i would need to cancel the channel.

Thank you to anyone who has an answer for me. Go Lakers!
cleverdevil

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

^ Call them up, other people outside of Cali have the channel. I got the same message, but by that point I had had it with TWC and was gonna cancel anyways.

According to Cachooka, you wouldn't be able to watch the actual games though, but the rest of the content would be available.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 am

if youre not in the coverage areas in socal/nevada/hawaii then youre getting the national version of the channel that has all the games blacked out. you still need to get league pass to be able to watch lakers games.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby cleverdevil on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:if youre not in the coverage areas in socal/nevada/hawaii then youre getting the national version of the channel that has all the games blacked out. you still need to get league pass to be able to watch lakers games.

Thank you CaCHooKA! I will look into getting league pass. Probably still keep the channel for all the other programming (Backstage, Lakeshow, etc.) as it is only $6/month added to my bill. At least I haven't missed much so far when it comes to preseason blowouts, LOL!

Looking forward to the upcoming season! Cheers!
cleverdevil

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:if youre not in the coverage areas in socal/nevada/hawaii then youre getting the national version of the channel that has all the games blacked out. you still need to get league pass to be able to watch lakers games.

Is there a way to bypass the blackout? Maybe with a VPN while streaming the channel on a computer or something.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby kbitboc on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:52 pm

If I only have the broadcast basic TV package with time warner, can you only add the Sportsnet channel without any other channels? What about if I add the sports pass? Would the Lakers be included?
kbitboc

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:55 pm

The Original 81 wrote:

Is there a way to bypass the blackout? Maybe with a VPN while streaming the channel on a computer or something.

you'd still get the stream via internet, you just won't be able to watch the HD broadcast on TV locally.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Kasumi on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:02 pm

kbitboc wrote:If I only have the broadcast basic TV package with time warner, can you only add the Sportsnet channel without any other channels? What about if I add the sports pass? Would the Lakers be included?

By basic, does that mean you only get channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13? Or that you get most of the stations in single and double digits but don't have a DVR? If the latter, check channel 43. I don't have a DVR on one of my TVs and can watch SportsNet on there, but I do have full HD service and DVR in another room.
ImageImage

"Basketball reasons" is as believable coming from Mitch Kupchak as it was coming from David Stern. #IWantedPhil
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:30 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
The Original 81 wrote:

you'd still get the stream via internet, you just won't be able to watch the HD broadcast on TV locally.

So no possible way to watch it on TV? I figured as much. But I would get the stream of the game, with a VPN of course otherwise it would be blacked out like it is on TV?
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby BDG on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Once again ...

Time Warner charges month-to-month, no contracts. Their basic package that will get you TWCSN is a bit over 50 bucks a month.

You can cancel any time and eliminate that bill. If you call them today, they'll probably have someone available to install within a week.

I don't anticipate this will drag on further than the beginning of November at worst.

Just making sure everyone is aware. :man12:

Pay 50 bucks this month, don't miss any games and then cancel once they reach the agreement in November.

I definitely don't recommend anyone actually switch (i.e. cancel their current service) to TWC. Had nothing but problems with them and their customer service is beyond horrible.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Ryan Ward ‏@Lakers_Examiner
I’m hearing TWC has made a deal with Dish Network. Not confirmed, but Dish may have beaten DTV to the punch. #LAKERS
Retweeted by Andrew Ungvari
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Grain of salt....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Scnottaken on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 pm

BDG wrote:Once again ...

Time Warner charges month-to-month, no contracts. Their basic package that will get you TWCSN is a bit over 50 bucks a month.

You can cancel any time and eliminate that bill. If you call them today, they'll probably have someone available to install within a week.

I don't anticipate this will drag on further than the beginning of November at worst.

Pay 50 bucks this month, don't miss any games and then cancel once they reach the agreement in November.

I definitely don't recommend anyone actually switch (i.e. cancel their current service) to TWC. Had nothing but problems with them and their customer service is beyond horrible.

Can't. In a charter area.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby OX1947 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
I’m hearing TWC has made a deal with Dish Network. Not confirmed, but Dish may have beaten DTV to the punch. #LAKERS

Grain of salt....

Dish isn't as pathetic as TWC but they are equally as stupid. No chance this is true.
OX1947

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:02 pm

OX1947 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Grain of salt....

Dish isn't as pathetic as TWC but they are equally as stupid. No chance this is true.

Geez. Haven't seen this large of an axe to grind since...

Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Scnottaken wrote:
BDG wrote:Once again ...

Can't. In a charter area.

+1 But from the reports of the 2nd halves of these pre-season games so far sounds like we have been saved from REALLY doing this.... :bang: though I have been :bang: :bang: because I haven't been able to see them.
LTLakerFan

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 pm

It's depressing, but I actually listened to the game on the radio. LOL.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 am

Yes that's what I do too, listen to the radio and hang out on Game Day here. Normally I would be in another room only watching on big picture. I'm still getting emails from TWC to gripe to my provider. This week Charter gets the call and will see what they say since the season starts the week after and I will threaten to leave to DTV if they have it.
LTLakerFan

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:28 am

1. Tell me you guys' picture isn't the clearest either on this station. Mine is pixelated with motion. (my tv is 120hz lcd)

2. Anyone else catch coach Dave Miller's terrible sayings that he messes up. Last night: "Those two things are like oil and vinegar, they don't go together." :man10: He does this all the time on the radio.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 am

^The bitrate on the TWC stream is 11000 kbps at 1920x1080i resolution. That's way too low for a stream that uses the ancient MPEG-2 codec. A stream using the MPEG-4 AVC codec (like DirecTV and DISH use) wouldn't look bad at that kind of bitrate.

That's why you get those pixelations in motion sequences.

If they're going to stream the broadcast at 11000kbps, they should at least bump the resolution down to 720p to reduce the artifacts.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am

You so smart :man12:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby revgen on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:13 pm

^I'm kinda hoping somebody at TWC or somebody who knows somebody there will pass this along. :man12:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion