TWC/Charter/Verizon/AT&T/Cox/DTV Ch. Guide (see 1st post)

Re: TWC and Lakers Sign Long-Term Agreement for Lakers Games

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:00 pm

I havent been pissed until i stumbled on nbatv then the bastards blacked it out
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:08 pm

the game wouldve been blacked out on nbatv if it was on fsn west too. although people wouldve been able to watch it since they have that channel.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Snake Eyes on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:10 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I havent been pissed until i stumbled on nbatv then the bastards blacked it out

Today is the day I became pissed off too. I figured NBA TV would be blacked out but I checked out a bunch of streams and they were all horrible quality. Unless they zoom in for a close shot, it can be difficult to tell who is who. It is getting time for the cable companies to get an agreement done.
Snake Eyes

Postby OX1947 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Explain to me why the (bleep) they would black it out when we can not watch the (bleep) game anywhere else? Explain that to me, all you Business Administration majors in here with your "it's business" mantra? Go ahead, I'll wait right here and watch the FX channel since I can not watch the game because of greed and stupidity.
OX1947

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:30 pm

OX1947 wrote:Explain to me why the (bleep) they would black it out when we can not watch the (bleep) game anywhere else? Explain that to me, all you Business Administration majors in here with your "it's business" mantra? Go ahead, I'll wait right here and watch the FX channel since I can not watch the game because of greed and stupidity.

because the NBA made the decision to black out games based on geographic region. doesnt matter if TWC sportsnet isnt available for everyone yet. it wouldve been blacked out if it were on KCAL or FSN west as well.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby OX1947 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:45 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:
OX1947 wrote:Explain to me why the (bleep) they would black it out when we can not watch the (bleep) game anywhere else? Explain that to me, all you Business Administration majors in here with your "it's business" mantra? Go ahead, I'll wait right here and watch the FX channel since I can not watch the game because of greed and stupidity.

because the NBA made the decision to black out games based on geographic region. doesnt matter if TWC sportsnet isnt available for everyone yet. it wouldve been blacked out if it were on KCAL or FSN west as well.

Yah, and IF my sister had a schlong, she would be my brother. Now, I get it. Move along, move along.....
OX1947

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 pm

That saying doesn't fit the situation at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:34 pm

OX1947 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:

Yah, and IF my sister had a schlong, she would be my brother. Now, I get it. Move along, move along.....

therealdeal wrote:That saying doesn't fit the situation at all.

No, but if your brother had melons he'd be your sister.....
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Phil XI wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:

Yes because breasts define a humans gender... :man3:
BadCoaching

Postby OX1947 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

BadCoaching wrote:
Phil XI wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:

Yes because breasts define a humans gender... :man3:

I have nipples Greg, can you milk me?
OX1947

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Dwight just jokingly booed TWC on the air and told them they need to makes deals quickly, specifically he said Direct TV because that's what he has :man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Dwight just jokingly booed TWC on the air and told them they need to makes deals quickly, specifically he said Direct TV because that's what he has :man10:

:bow: That's awesome. Dwight rules!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:22 pm

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_21820409/de ... ost_viewed

The possible first appearance by Dwight Howard in the Lakers' lineup tonight at Staples Center in the sixth exhibition game of the season has not sparked any more movement in the Time Warner Cable SportsNet/Deportes distribution deals with any of the competing cable or dish operators.

Many of the Laker sponsors, including those of Time Warner Cable, joined the team in Las Vegas for a party prior to the Lakers' latest exhibition loss, against Sacramento at the Thomas and Mack Center. Clark County, which encompasses Las Vegas, is primarily covered by Cox Cable. TWC SportsNet has tried to appease those viewers by announcing programming related to UNLV sports as part of their strategy to fill in a 24/7 schedule.

The Lakers last exhibition game on Thursday will be in San Diego - another area in their SportsNet territory. Cox is the largest cable operator in that city as well, and will get San Diego State games.

DirecTV continued to say it was "engaged" in discussions with Time Warner but it continues to balk at the $3.95 asking price for the two channels. Dish Network, Comcast, AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS remain the major players waiting to get a deal done.
OX1947

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:36 am

Did anyone read emplay's latest thread? He mentioned that Laker Girls, a TWC SportnsNet show, was aired on Directv during the week on the DIY channel. The story mentions something about them possibly testing the signals or something along those lines. It also mentions that tv providers don't usually do that unless a deal is imminent.

Hopefully they get a deal done soon. Once the DirecTV domino falls the rest are sure to follow.
jOeyB7000

Postby JGC on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am

First.... breathe.... in, then out. Slowly. Go to your .... happy place.

Ok, now, if every Laker game were available on NBA TV, then no deal would ever get done because there would be no incentive for any of the other cable & satellite providers to offer the channel. Why would they pay millions of dollars to TWC, when the games would be on NBA TV anyway? For Backstage Lakers? No.

Here's an analogy that might help you understand the situation. You're a business owner, and you have invested thousands if not millions of dollars creating a product that you hope will take off. Your initial plan is to distribute the product in the U.S. only. Meanwhile, someone in Europe, Asia and other regions outside of the U.S. has copied what you have done and is selling them under your brand name. Is that ok since you don't sell the product anywhere else? A good businessman would want to ensure that his products can only be purchased from him as the originating source so that he is getting his share of every transaction.

I understand you have some personal beef with TWC. But your anger towards them is completely misguided. Pretty much everyone else is more to blame than TWC is for the blackouts. The Lakers are the one who agreed to sell themselves to TW. Had the Lakers never agreed to this deal, you would be watching your preseason games on FSW right now. DirecTV/Cox/Dish/etc are being offered the channel and saying no. If they just say yes, you could be watching on whatever platform you choose.

This isn't a complex business case, it's just common sense.
JGC

Postby Psychobroker on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:19 am

NewDynasty wrote:I feel exactly like that guy feels. I agree with him, we should organnize a protest...hey club lakers want to help organize one? I would definitely go participate. Hate twc.

You should then blame the Buss family just as much as TW for their last hurrah cash-in at the fan's expense.

In all honesty, it's tough to blame Jerry for wanting to secure his family, but he certainly knew this could come down to the wire with the other providers being key to the deal actually working.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 am

Psychobroker wrote:
NewDynasty wrote:I feel exactly like that guy feels. I agree with him, we should organnize a protest...hey club lakers want to help organize one? I would definitely go participate. Hate twc.

You should hate the Buss family just as much as TW for this last hurrah cash-in at our expense. :mad1:

^^ I can't ever hate on the Buss family - not after all they've done for this franchise and its fans. It's an unfortunate Catch - 22 that we're in. The Buss family has run the Lakers like a family business because that's what it is. That's been at the heart of their great success over the years. The Doc has always put out an incredible product and has always been in this to win it. But he's not one of these billionaire owners and it was going to effect the payroll, the ability to pay luxury tax with the new rules, the ability to put the best competitive team out on the floor. He solved that by doing this deal and we've all got to be pretty stoked with the starting five we get to have this year.

On the other side, by doing this deal, the family has wiped out the ability for a big section of the fan base to watch away games for free on KCAL as they have done for 30 plus years, which is a big drag.

On top of it we're now embroiled in this annoying battle of wills between TWC and all the other cable companies.

I have to say though, at this point I'm more angry at my own provider DirecTV than TWC. TWC paid a pretty penny for rights to the Lakers and want something back. That's understood. From what it sounds like they aren't asking an unreasonable rate - but DirecTV is being hard-headed about it. They need to get it done. Both sides do.

I've had the realistic expectation of not seeing any preseason games and I prepped myself for that. But they need to bring us the channel by the regular season or I'm going to get really PO'd. I think that's a fair reaction on my part.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

Lakerjones wrote:I have to say though, at this point I'm more angry at my own provider DirecTV than TWC. TWC paid a pretty penny for rights to the Lakers and want something back. That's understood. From what it sounds like they aren't asking an unreasonable rate - but DirecTV is being hard-headed about it. They need to get it done. Both sides do.
I've had the realistic expectation of not seeing any preseason games and I prepped myself for that. But they need to bring us the channel by the regular season or I'm going to get really PO'd. I think that's a fair reaction on my part.

At least we've got some rational thinkers on this one. TWC didn't do anything wrong for buying the rights here. They paid a massive amount of money to do it, which is almost single handedly keeping the Lakers luxury tax penalties at bay.

Now both sides are coming to an agreement and that kind of thing takes time. You can't blame TWC for wanting to earn money on the investment. And you can't blame DirecTV and the others for wanting to protect the costs from their customers. This is how business operates. You just hope that these guys are more dedicated to getting something done.

But at this point, no one is blameless and no one is really to blame.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jOeyB7000 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:22 am

jOeyB7000 wrote:Did anyone read emplay's latest thread? He mentioned that Laker Girls, a TWC SportnsNet show, was aired on Directv during the week on the DIY channel. The story mentions something about them possibly testing the signals or something along those lines. It also mentions that tv providers don't usually do that unless a deal is imminent.

Hopefully they get a deal done soon. Once the DirecTV domino falls the rest are sure to follow.

Nobody has an opinion on this? :mhihi:

I'm all for the TWC bashing as I hate them too, but emplay's report has to be good news right? I mean why else would an exclusive SportsNet program be aired on DirecTV when they haven't announced an agreement yet?

Here's the link to emplay's thread:

lakers-discussion/sunday-laker-updates-including-twc-directv-oddity-t136083.html

emplay wrote:Hey all,

First day on the new job with the Los Angeles Times!

I’m still trying to get a feel for new setup – here are three entries from today:

This first story is on how my friend was flipping through DirecTV - and saw the Laker Girls - a TWC show - on the DIY
Network. Banner said "I Hate My Kitchen" but it was Laker Girls

So did some legwork and got comments from both TWC and DirecTV:

Distribution of Lakers channels still in negotiation
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 7007.story

While waiting for Dwight Howard, Lakers play jumbled basketball
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 8349.story

EP
jOeyB7000

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:29 pm

^ Stop trying to share good news! We ignored you for a reason!

:man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:42 pm

I have league pass broadband (international actually).. It's great. You can watch EVERY single game, live or on demand. Quality is great, I just connect it via HDMI to the TV and you couldn't tell the difference..
I know all of you already have a service you're paying for, I'm just saying, if you want a great alternative (that also lets you watch every other game), you could try league pass broadband.
I know some of you have league pass for TV and if you live in Cali you can't watch Laker games.. I don't know if that's also the case for broadband..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 pm

LakerFanIam

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:19 pm

A little over a week until the regular season begins, I'm beginning to think this may not happen until after the season starts.
XXIV

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

XXIV wrote:A little over a week until the regular season begins, I'm beginning to think this may not happen until after the season starts.

I believe someone posted that the first three games are Nationally televised, so they have until game 4 to work a deal...
LakerFanIam

Postby nthydro on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:32 pm

This f**kin blows donkey balls. But hey, at least we our quality 120P resolution online streams to hold us over :man6:

You know theres something wrong when you're mistaking Duhon for Metta and Jamison for Kobe :man10:
nthydro

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion