Smith or Pau

Pau
46%
Smith
53%

Total votes : 43

Re: Under D'Antoni, PAU or Josh Smith?

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 am

Showtime'sDynasty wrote:Dwight's old teammate Ryan Anderson would be perfect for this starting line-up, and in this system. Do it Mitch. (not a straight-up trade obviously, but I know they wouldn't give up Rivers or Eric Gordon, so we'd have to get creative :man1: )

But then we most likely lose what has been one of the only bright spots of the year, the fact that we've been outrebounding teams left and right.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:50 am

^It's not like Anderson is like Brooke Lopez on the boards. During Anderson's best year alongside Dwight he averaged 8.6 rebounds per 36. Not mind blowing, but pretty damn solid for a stretch 4.

I would imagine Hill picking up some more minutes if Pau is sent packing, and we all know he rebounds like a maniac.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:04 am

Ilyasova has sucked this season. He had one good season last year. That's it. He got paid, and now he's back to sucking. I'm not trading Pau for him.
thkthebest

Postby Frank Dux on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:33 am

^Just looked up his contract. 5/40 million. Yikes!

Monta and Jenning's chuck happy style of play don't do Ilyasova any favors, but that contract is too risky. Ilyasova's TS% and PER were elite last season .577% and 20.5 respectively. That didn't happen by accident.

I would still rather have Ryan Anderson, he shoots nearly 3 times as many 3's per game and still shoots an elite %.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 am

What if we took Pau out of the starting lineup and but Jamison at the 4 and Pau would be our 6th man? It would fix our floor spacing problem and Pau would play at the 5 behind Dwight and could play along side him here and there. I know it's not really ideal but I'm just throwing ideas out here to see what you guys think. Ideally we would have Kevin Love who would thrive in this system, but we don't. :man5:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 am

Smoove would absolutely flourish under D'Antoni.. No doubt about it.. Him & Dwight would be a nightmare for opposing teams.. Even if they beat the old guys (Nash,Kobe,Ron) on the break, if Dwight & Josh were back, they'd be settling for a jumper every time. If we're getting killed with speed too much, bench Ron, put Meeks in & slide Kobe to the 3.
lakersin4

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 am

Weezy wrote:I don't even care, probably doesn't matter really.

Damn, Eeyore. :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 am

Noah and Deng for Pau
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 am

To answer the OP's question, Id say probably Smith, but its tough for me to say definitively because IMO Pau's the better player. Smith does have attributes that may allow him to do well in MDA's system. And even though its somewhat irrelevant to the discussion, worst case scenario its as close to a guarantee as you'll get that Dwight will stay.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 am

Tobias Funke wrote:To answer the OP's question, Id say probably Smith, but its tough for me to say definitively because IMO Pau's the better player. Smith does have attributes that may allow him to do well in MDA's system. And even though its somewhat irrelevant to the discussion, worst case scenario its as close to a guarantee as you'll get that Dwight will stay.

In MDA's system the 4 needs to be able to shoot which is something Smith really can't do effectively. I'd much rather trade Pau for pieces such as shooters and a stretch 4 that will fit better within the system. Although I feel Pau will still be around for this season because he's also our backup C behind Dwight.
XXIV

Postby John3:16 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 am

Smith and korver for Gasol. I'm in.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFanIam on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:01 am

John3:16 wrote:Smith and korver for Gasol. I'm in.

Now you're talking
LakerFanIam

Postby therealdeal on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:09 am

LakerFanIam wrote:

Now you're talking

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 100%effort on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am

I wouldn't mind if this happened.
100%effort

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 am

I have serious doubts this happens you guys. Pau needs to be moved, but nothing indicates on ATL's side that they are willing to take on more salary. They are actually trying to clear salary for free agency this summer.

Pau has a much better chance of getting moved next year since he becomes a nice fat expiring K.

Either way you look at it...D'Antoni needs to get to work, cause Pau isn't a stretch 4 and most of us do not want him taking that 3 ball. He's gotta play more closer to the bucket, but that jams stuff up for the PnR if Pau ain't the rollee.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 am

F it, bench Pau and start Jamison, our bench stinks as is, doesn't hurt to have a player like Pau coming off the bench and being the role guy with the 2nd unit, with Duhon running point. Either that or have Pau just standing in the perimiter unless Antoni adjust his O for better post play.
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 pm

Hate to play naysayer, but its too easy.

Ryan Anderson was one of NO's key free agent pick ups this summer. And lets say they want to deal him, this is NO..the same team that had the NBA work for the new ownership group and could have brought in Pau in the CP3 deal, but the potential buyers wanted no part of Pau, so he went to Houston instead.

Its going to be hard to move Pau this year. We will pay about 30M in taxes for this year, but next year it goes up to 85M when the taxes become more punitive. Pau will be a huge expiring K next year. Look for LA to move him then and probably have better success at it than right now.

I personally would move Pau to the 2nd unit and make him the headliner of that unit and come out with a starting lineup of:

Nash
Meeks
Kob
Tawn
D12

Run run run with stretch capable shooters and wings that can slash/dive to the hoop.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Moving Pau to the bench would be a nail in the coffin to his confidence IMO.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm seeing people beginning to say start Jamison over Pau and I'm wondering if this could really happen. To me, even though it might look crazy from the outside because Pau is a bigger name and a better career player, an nba champion, world championn, it makes sense because Jamison is more of a stretch 4. He hasn't shot well so far this season, but he still CAN shoot the 3 way better than Pau and would spread the floor more. I cannot see how Pau and Howard work together in 'Antoni's offense, it seems to me we'd have to trade Pau for a 'Antoni style starting 4 or move Jamison there and move Pau to the bench at center or something. Could this really happen though, would Pau accept it, would the team be cool with it, would 'Antoni have the guts to do it? Seems to me it would be something the rest of the league would laugh at us for doing, or say they can't believe it, a guy as good as Pau off the bench, because he is NOT a bench caliber player, even with his declining recently.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby escobar8 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:45 pm

^^
if coach says him to come from bench...he has 19mill reason to STFU and to give his best...
plus there is another one player with similar resume and i dont know if somebody is laughing at san antonio...
escobar8

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 pm

That is true, but I think Pau's psyche/confidence is much more fragile than a Ginobili, I'd honestly worry how he'd react to being moved to the bench. He has pride in his game and rightfully so, but he's the type to regress under certain situations rather than just do what he's told and flourish in a new role.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 pm

^^^^i know its easier siad then done but Pau should man up like Odom did and do whats best for the team
khmrP

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:12 pm

I could see that. Play Jamison with Dwight to stretch the floor, then use Pau as center and P&R with him etc. Maybe use Metta at the 4 here and there, and park him in the corner... or use Hill with Pau to crash the boards and play defense. Lots of possibilities. Pau can adapt to many different styles of basketball.

In any case we're better and deeper then those PHX teams.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:37 pm

god that would be amazing
432J

Postby jjin28 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm

432J wrote:

god that would be amazing

Throw in Deshawn Stevenson and Duhon in the deal, and I'm in.
Stevenson is a lebron hater and a kobe fan. Perfect for some tough obnixous defense when we go up against bron and miami in the finals.
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion