Video of Kobe's bad defense from Utah game

Re: Video of Kobe's bad defense from Utah game

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:51 pm

jjin28 wrote:man. Eff it. Heres the truth. Kobe 18 seasons, mid 30's, 5 rings. He can and deserves to take a play off here n there, or heck, even the entire game if mamba wants. But the other 14 playas have no excuse to take a play off. Maybe gasol can have 3 plays off bc hes been there too, but not the rest, n def not dantoni to be calling out kobe like he did. That foo is pringles and he aint won ish. Kobe is a macro guy, all others is a micro guy. They dont see the big picture, and thats a freaking ship!

:man10: :man10: :man10:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby JGC on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:
JGC wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:How about a video of all the Lakers not just Kobe...always amazes me that people will take to such lengths to single out Kobe either pro or con. The fact that he is even productive in his 17th season is pretty amazing. Most guys after 10 years start to lose their lateral quickness. It comes with mileage, injuries etc. Guys just find other ways to play.

You could take a number of all time greats that didn't play any defense...but in this case the issues are deeper than that. You start with what is now a 1 pass and chuck offense. You want to get beat in transition...chuck a bunch of 3s and do that with an older team. Or you could do what Brown did and practice them long and hard so they had no legs. Reality is that Pau can no longer play PF very well. He needs to play center. So you probably need to trade him as he is just a slow out of position center playing PF. MWP lost his mobility a long time ago. Reconditioned he is better but still is more bull in a china shop on offense and routinely burned on defense. Dwight tries to block everything...that is one of the issues with offensive rebounds (and poor rotation). Team also collapses way too much. Jamison at PF means no defense. Really other than Dwight team isn't very good defensively and then add in Dwight trying to block too many shots and a coach that doesn't know defense....good mix.

I think the idea is that if he can be as productive as he is on offense, then why couldn't he be productive on defense especially on a team with multiple weapons where he doesn't have to expend so much offensively? I mean, you say he is 'productive' but that is such an understatement. He has enough in the tank to lead the league in scoring. It's not like he's been reduced to bench player and then being singled out for not being an elite shutdown defender. I think people would rather see a little more effort given on the defensive end and are more than understanding that doing so might come at the expense of some offense at this point in his career.

Also, everything will always center on Kobe. He's the leader of this team and as he goes, the Lakers go. He'll shoulder the majority of the credit if we succeed, and bear the majority of the responsibility shall we fail.

Offense you are controlling where you are going. Defense is reactionary and where loss of lateral quickness shows first. That is why they say a wet football field favors the offense because they already know where they are going. It doesn't help that Kobe is again having to carry too much load on offense and too many minutes. I think last two games he has not come out in the second half. Not going to help matters.

Yeah, what you're saying makes total sense. I don't think the concerns are though that he is trying and just not able to be successful. I think the concerns being raised are that he doesn't appear to be trying very hard on defense.

When you watch the games, do you see a player in Kobe that is giving his absolute best on defense and is just not being successful? Or do you see a guy who coasts it a bit defensively and that's why he isn't successful? Because I, as do many others, see the latter more so than the former and that is where the majority of the frustration stems from.
JGC

Postby OX1947 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:40 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
jjin28 wrote:man. Eff it. Heres the truth. Kobe 18 seasons, mid 30's, 5 rings. He can and deserves to take a play off here n there, or heck, even the entire game if mamba wants. But the other 14 playas have no excuse to take a play off. Maybe gasol can have 3 plays off bc hes been there too, but not the rest, n def not dantoni to be calling out kobe like he did. That foo is pringles and he aint won ish. Kobe is a macro guy, all others is a micro guy. They dont see the big picture, and thats a freaking ship!

:man10: :man10: :man10:

True, but gambling and not running back because of a no call is my problem with Kobe. Those two activities are unnecessary. And worse, put the other 4 guys at a disadvantage. If he wants to rest up and sag off his man, fine, at lease there, if his guy drains a 3 on him, then its him, plus, 6/10 of those will be misses at worst.
OX1947

Postby Blahdeh Deebatz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 am

Kobe has played like this for years. He is a great on-ball defender, but he is a pretty bad off-ball defender. When his man has the ball, Kobe becomes a fierce defender and is like a pitbull. When his man does not have the ball, Kobe sags off and loses sight of his man. He likes to play safety and make gambles.

Kobe doesn't always play like this though. When he gets in his mind to shut down a player, he plays them hard both on-ball and off-ball. He's had memorable performances against the likes of Richard Hamilton, Allen Iverson, and others that he's tried to shut down. The problem is that he usually doesn't have that mindset.
Blahdeh Deebatz

Postby ChumsGum on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:32 am

Amnesty his arse.
ChumsGum

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:28 am

I hate Kobe :mad1: Ok not really...hasn't played defense since 08, so nothing's new, what I hate are TOs and not passing the ball to teammates in various possessions just shooting off the elbow from the backcourt. other than that he's the best :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:26 am

Any objective person knows that Kobe's defense hasn't been that good for years. He freelances, he gambles, he gets caught ball watching and he struggles to keep defenders in front of him. Yeah, there are stretches when he decides he will play hard nosed D but those are the rare exceptions. It's laughable he gets voted to All-NBA defense every year. Just a joke actually.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

Harrison5394 wrote:This isn't a Lakers forum, it's a Kobe forum. It's funny how many of you will just disappear from being Lakers fans once Kobe retires. Pathetic marks.

Check your PMs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Kobe is supposed to be the leader of this team, so he should set the example.

He loudly bellowed "this is my team" during preseason, then dammit act like it instead of acting like a diva.

If you're going to be the leader, be the leader by taking responsibility on the defensive end. I know Kobe's defense has been inconsistent since 2004 but this year it's been downright atrocious. He doesn't guard his man off ball and instead stands in no mans land trying to get steals while his man torches him. He blows defensive assignments all the time then screams at this teammates when he's the one that screwed up. And worst of all, he fails to get back on D and instead barks at the refs.

Kobe absolutely deserves to be called out, and I'd be thrilled if Dwight called him out publicly as well, since he's expected to cover for everyone else's mistakes defensively. Our bad defense begins and ends with Kobe. If Kobe sets the tone by playing proper defense, the team will follow him. What's the motivation for the role players to play all out when Kobe refuses to do so? Do the right thing Kobe and be the leader you screamed loudly that you are.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby revgen on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm

jjin28 wrote:
revgen wrote:
Harrison5394 wrote:This isn't a Lakers forum, it's a Kobe forum. It's funny how many of you will just disappear from being Lakers fans once Kobe retires. Pathetic marks.

jjin28 wrote:man. Eff it. Heres the truth. Kobe 18 seasons, mid 30's, 5 rings. He can and deserves to take a play off here n there, or heck, even the entire game if mamba wants. But the other 14 playas have no excuse to take a play off.

Oh me! Oh my! :man4:

how can you even link me to a quote i wasnt even responding to. Anyways, u sound like ralph lawler. :man12:

BINGO!
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion