Voshon Lenard, Eric Piatowski or Jon Barry to Lakers?

Who should we pick up as an extra shooter?

Jon Barry
26%
Voshon Lenard
6%
Eric Piatowski
60%
Other
6%

Total votes : 30

Voshon Lenard, Eric Piatowski or Jon Barry to Lakers?

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:48 pm

I found this in today's LA Times:

Therefore, Kupchak's heavy lifting is over. The club would like to add a backup center, though Malone and Slava Medvedenko could play some minutes there, and it has been considered adding a shooter along the lines of Eric Piatkowski, Jon Barry or Voshon Lenard.

If you would like to read more, here's the link to the internet article: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep11jul11,1,2031915.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

This is great. I hadn't heard Voshon Lenard's name mentioned until today. It's nice that we're keeping our options open.

Who do you guys think we should get?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LAKERS4LIFE on Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:58 pm

From what I've heard Lenard is a basket case, so forget him. Barry was originally drafted by the Lakers and played for the Queens. And Pike has played his whole career in LA (with the Clippers.) I think Pike would fit the best out of the three, mostly because I think he's teh best shooter.

But I say we are set in the backcourt. PAyton can play the 2 as well. And with Fisher off the bench we should give him enough time to contend for sixth man award. PLus we need to continue develooping Rush. He's playing well in the summer league.

If we are really going to sign another player I would look for a PF-C combo guy. Are we so sure Slava can play back-up center? Brian Skinner would be a great pick-up. Or maybe even Drobnjak.
However I wouldn't oppose Horry coming back.
LAKERS4LIFE

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:03 pm

True. I like Pike, but at the same time Jon Barry is a good passer and he has a nice sense of court vision. Barry would be a nice fit for the triangle... but Pike can shoot the lights out. As far as for Voshon.... I remember him being DEADLY from beyond the arc. So I dunno...
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby la21834 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:34 pm

I like Jon and pike. who is younger?
I don't know what your problem is, but I bet it's hard to pronounce
la21834

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:42 pm

I'm pretty sure Jon is younger.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:04 pm

Eric Piatowski

We need a veteran, consistent shooter. Eric Piatowski is PERFECT.

He would also take a paycut to play with the Lakers...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:51 pm

good point, none of these other guys have proven they would take a paycut... unless they can prove otherwise, you have my mind fixed upon pike.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:58 pm

Well, that's what I'm here for -- To analyze current situations and let the people hear me out... :man11:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakerFan1972 on Sat Jul 12, 2003 6:54 am

Pike: G/F, 6-6, 215lbs, 32yrs
FG%=.471, 3P%=.398, FT%=.828, Reb=2.50, A=1.1, SPG=.53, PPG=9.7

Barry: G, 6-5, 210lbs, 34yrs
FG%=.450, 3P%=.407, FT%=.860, Reb=2.30, A=2.6, SPG=.79, PPG=6.9

Stats similiar. Prefer Barry for his toughness and enthusiasm on the court. He is also playoff tested. However, I doubt he would take the min. It sounds like Detroit will only resign him if they can't get their draft pick Delifino out of his Euro contract.

Though their stats are similiar, Barry is a steaky outside shooter where as Pike as pure. However, is Pike's defense good enough for Phil? You know how he has trouble playing people who can't D-up. Just a thought.

Obviously it will still come down to who is willing to take the min. Horry won't, Barry probably won't, Pike has said he would ... welcome pike.
LakerFan1972

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:59 am

#2 Voshon Lenard

Height: 6-4
Weight: 205 lbs.
Pos: SG

G GS MIN 3P% FT% STL PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
63 24 30.6 .402 .826 .365 2.5 0.8 2.6 3.4 2.3 14.3

better defender than the other two, and a little more athletic
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:37 pm

Also a bit more streaky as well, there's no telling what we can expect from Lenard.
Danny Ainge

Veshon Leanard

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:39 pm

Veshon Leonard would be an excellent addition to the lakers bench. He can score and defend. Jon and eric are not a good fit with the lakers. The lakers need more athleticism, and leonard is athletic and a good shooter. I hope the lakers can get a guy like leonard.

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:58 pm

I just hope he can play at the SF
Danny Ainge

Postby Beers on Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:19 pm

Pike is like Mr Clippers though..... I wonder if he has any loyalty to them? He may not play for the Lakers, and if Sterling is going to look after anyone, you'd have to think he'd be nice to Pike for all the time he's spent with the team.....
Beers

No pikes; no harm

Postby rekuka on Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:21 pm

Pike is a good fit but what makes you think the dude wants to transfer teams within the same city? It would be hard to find time for Pike anyways, as he's a true shooting guard and Kobe hogs most of the minutes there. Even yet, Kupchak would have to waste the veteran's minimum exception on the guy, thus raising the payroll for the already money-burdened Lakers. It's tough though. I like Rush's game, and knowing Phil, the Zen dude can eventually develop him into a guy that could back up Kobe with ease. I keep comparing Rush to Michael Redd. Both Rush's and Redd's rookie seasons went unnoticed, but I look for Rush only to have a breakout season if some other guy like Piatkowski or LEnard doesn't come along. Rush could play the small forward slot, and at times point guard. Hope he won't turn out to be the next [/b]Jeryl Sasser. The point is, though, I don't think the LAkers need a shooter. They need a backup center, like LEon Smith, who's doing well in SPL, or some other young talent. :man4: :bow:
rekuka

Postby la21834 on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:56 pm

Pike is a good fit
I don't know what your problem is, but I bet it's hard to pronounce
la21834

Postby SWOL on Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:31 am

YOU GUYS NEED TO MAKE UP YOUR MIND.........WE NEED HELP IN THE FRONT COURT.........YOU GUYS SAY TRADING FISHER IS STUPID, AND THEN YOU WANT TO SIGN PIAK??????WHERE IS HE GONNA PLAY?????? HOW MANY MIN. WILL HE PLAY? OK LETS SEE WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE

1 PAYTON / FISHER / PARGO
2 KOBE / PIAK / RUSH
3 DEAVEN / FOX
4 MALONE / COOK????
5 DIESEL / SLAVA????

WE NEED TO EITHER SIGN OR TRADE FOR A BIG MAN PERIOD
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

agreed

Postby LakersFan2003 on Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:41 am

swolswol wrote:YOU GUYS NEED TO MAKE UP YOUR MIND.........WE NEED HELP IN THE FRONT COURT.........YOU GUYS SAY TRADING FISHER IS STUPID, AND THEN YOU WANT TO SIGN PIAK??????WHERE IS HE GONNA PLAY?????? HOW MANY MIN. WILL HE PLAY? OK LETS SEE WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE

1 PAYTON / FISHER / PARGO
2 KOBE / PIAK / RUSH
3 DEAVEN / FOX
4 MALONE / COOK????
5 DIESEL / SLAVA????

WE NEED TO EITHER SIGN OR TRADE FOR A BIG MAN PERIOD

I agree. I don't think we can acquire a decent big man via a trade though. We do need a big man since we already have plenty of backcourt depth. We really do not want to trade Fisher, our only depth coming off the bench. He's one of the only guys who started last season, that isn't whining about our PG acquisition. Listen to Tony Parker, he was whining when they were courting Jason Kidd, saying "We don't need him, I can carry the team." Having a team player like DFish is just invaluable.

Just a sign a rookie or young back up center who can sit there and take a little punishment so Shaq can take the rest. Let our backcourt depth keep things even until Shaq has his rest.
LakersFan2003

Postby Danny Ainge on Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:52 pm

Yest please don't butcher the Laker roster up too badly one or two more additions and thats it.
Danny Ainge

Return to Lakers Discussion