VOTE: Who is the ideal coach?

Who is the ideal coach who will lead us to a championship?

Phil Jackson
70%
Jerry Sloan
22%
Mike D'antoni
4%
Brian Shaw
1%

Total votes : 122

Re: VOTE: Who is the ideal coach?

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Phil, assuming he's re-energized and also willing adapt the triangle a bit for Nash (which isn't unconceivable at all)
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm

By far Phil..

Sloan is okay though.. JVG if he's interested third. Irritating or not, he's not a bad coach.
BadCoaching

Postby karacha on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Well, I think it's obviously Phil with Shaw as his assistant. I love Shaw, but I would not want him to be the head coach for this team if we have other options. As an assistant, he's awesome.

My second choice would be Sloan. He knows what he's doing, has a no-nonsense, disciplined approach to the game, and has a balanced system with great offense and solid defense.

MDA is alright. I could see him becoming the coach. I guess I have a more positive opinion on him then many posters here. Dwight and Kobe respect him, and so does Nash. He can adapt his fast paced offense (known as pace & space these days :man10: ) to 12 seconds. That would work. His rotations would definitely be superior to Mike's. I don't think he's as good as Sloan though, and certainly not as good as Phil. But he'd do well with this team.

Nate would also be OK in my opinion, so would Adelman. All good coaches. So is JVG, but I'm not sure he wants to coach anymore.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby MusixFinest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 pm

My dream coaching staff would be Coach K at the helm, with D'Antoni and JVG as assistants.
MusixFinest

Postby Ludachris on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 pm

You have to think they had someone in mind that they knew they would be able to get if this move was made. I don't see them just firing Brown with the backup plan being an assistant running the show for the rest of the season... or hiring another unproven coach - not with the small window and the potential this team has. You'd have to think they had a good idea that they could either get Sloan or bring Phil back if an unproven didn't work out. Would they really have done this just to take another risk on another questionable candidate? Let's hope they know for sure they can get a better coach in there quick. I'm sure Jim Buss knows what he's doing.

:man3:
Ludachris

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 pm

I doubt it's Phil. You guys are a bunch of romantics. :man9:

I'm going to guess D'Antoni. And if it is him, is him I hope they bring in some defensive guys with him. If they could convince MacMillan to come as an assistant... oh man. All bets are off.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Ludachris wrote:You have to think they had someone in mind that they knew they would be able to get if this move was made. I don't see them just firing Brown with the backup plan being an assistant running the show for the rest of the season... or hiring another unproven coach - not with the small window and the potential this team has. You'd have to think they had a good idea that they could either get Sloan or bring Phil back if an unproven didn't work out. Would they really have done this just to take another risk on another questionable candidate? Let's hope they know for sure they can get a better coach in there quick. I'm sure Jim Buss knows what he's doing.

:man3:

Yep ... I've watched how the Lakers operate over several decades now and they always have a plan. In fact they have a plan and a backup plan for their original plan! :man10:
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Uncle Phil
Sloan
McMil
D.B. Cooper

Postby jlkr on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Nash doesn't fit the triangle. So I'm sorta down on Jackson unless he made the adjustment to incorporate more of Nash's talents into the offensive schemes.

So I'd rather have Sloan. The guy knows pick and roll, his motion offense is a good fit for the Lakers and he does defense quite well. Just don't know if he's up for coaching in the big city.

D'Antoni wouldn't be that bad a pick, he has a relationship with Kobe from their Team USA days. But only on the condition that Bickerstaff (or Rambis) coaches the defense.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

There's bound to be clashing with Howard's and Kobe's alpha egos since their mindsets about the game are different. It's already started with Dwight commenting in the press about (Kobe) needing to lighten up. Roughly. Phil has been there and done that with a big man and Kobe Bryant not on the same page personality wise. He is the only "master" out there period at dealing with huge egos on the same team and keeping everyone motivated. We really need Phil. We need Zen :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:06 pm

Get rid of Shaw and add Nate. He's an excellent coach

It's a really tough decision. Phil has the respect and resume, but his system doesn't fit well with the team.

D'Antoni has a good system but I don't think he's the greatest coach and not much of a step up from Brown

Sloan would be nice, but many are saying he's a long shot

I like McMillian as a compromise. He fits this team well and will have the respect of the players
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm

therealdeal wrote:I doubt it's Phil. You guys are a bunch of romantics. :man9:

I'm going to guess D'Antoni. And if it is him, is him I hope they bring in some defensive guys with him. If they could convince MacMillan to come as an assistant... oh man. All bets are off.

Are you saying D'Antoni is the ideal coach for this team?
I thought you wanted Sloan
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby purp n gold on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I like Sloan & McMillan. Uh, if we roll with D'Antoni & Nash goes down again, we're S.O.L.

But I never though Phil Jax was open to coach LA again. If Uncle Phil came back I'd be sooooooooooooooooooooo happy
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby bystander on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Adelman

Big no no to McMillan or D'Antoni. Both are proven losers.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I doubt it's Phil. You guys are a bunch of romantics. :man9:

Are you saying D'Antoni is the ideal coach for this team?
I thought you wanted Sloan

I do want Sloan over any of the other coaches available right now. But the feeling I'm getting from the reports is that D'Antoni is more likely at the moment. Vegas odds have it at 2-1 for him to be the new head coach.

That's fine, because his offense would look good. But we'd need a defensive guy. I'd still prefer Sloan because he's got the tools to do both by himself.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:13 pm

he may not be my first choice, but d'antoni might have had a chip if not for darth stern that one year with all the suspensions and blood
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Finwë on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Mike Dunleavy was on the Lakers' list before Mike Brown was hired and is expected to be a candidate again.

Ugh. Please don't hire Dunleavy.
Finwë

Postby TwntyFour on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:17 pm

bystander wrote:Big no no to McMillan or D'Antoni. Both are proven losers.

they won in two Olympic *shrugs*
TwntyFour

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 pm

bystander wrote:Adelman

Adelman is currently employed and runs the same basic offense we just failed at.

McMillan and D'Antoni have had great success together with the Olympic team. Bring them in together.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Adelman is currently employed and runs the same basic offense we just failed at.

McMillan and D'Antoni have had great success together with the Olympic team. Bring them in together.

if no phil, coach by committee? i'm on board.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Well they seem high on D'Antoni so I'm trying to figure out ways that I'd be okay with it. His offense would be a ton of fun to watch with this team and they'd enjoy it. But their defense would be unorganized because D'Antoni knows nothing about that end.

Solution bring in guys that DO know it.

I'd prefer Sloan, but if they're sold on D'Antoni, then they had better bring more help in defensively. Either McMillan or JVG.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:

My comment about Adelman was pointed as he should had been the coach last year when he wanted to be.

If those two don't win the Olympics man, like Kobe said, they shouldn't be allowed to enter in the country. Love Spain and their players and effort but come on, even being 2nd best team in the past decade they are not as good as the States.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby kenzo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Phill will bench Steve for saying that Pop is the best coach in the NBA :man9: Not sure i want to see this.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Maybe, but that doesn't take away from their planning at all. They still did their job and coached.

Most European teams are actually much better teams than NBA teams, if that makes sense. European ball, as I'm sure you're familiar, is centered around ball movement and team play. The coaches did well enough battling that and making a game plan that fit their team.

McMillan's Blazers were always a good defensive squad and D'Antoni knows a thing or two about offense. Coach by committee and I think our team looks good.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 pm

it seems surreal and unlikely but i just have this gut feeling that it's gonna be phil
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion