VOTE: Who is the ideal coach?

Who is the ideal coach who will lead us to a championship?

Phil Jackson
70%
Jerry Sloan
22%
Mike D'antoni
4%
Brian Shaw
1%

Total votes : 122

Re: VOTE: Who is the ideal coach?

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Maybe, but that doesn't take away from their planning at all. They still did their job and coached.

Most European teams are actually much better teams than NBA teams, if that makes sense. European ball, as I'm sure you're familiar, is centered around ball movement and team play. The coaches did well enough battling that and making a game plan that fit their team.

McMillan's Blazers were always a good defensive squad and D'Antoni knows a thing or two about offense. Coach by committee and I think our team looks good.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 pm

it seems surreal and unlikely but i just have this gut feeling that it's gonna be phil
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Phil Jackson is obviously the #1 choice for fans. But he'd run the triangle which would negate all of Nash's talents. You run the triangle when you dont have a good PG. I think D'Antoni is a better fit for this current roster. With Nash Kobe & Dwight having a D'Antoni high powered offense would be better suited for Nash & Dwight's abilities.

D'Antoni ran an amazing offense for the Suns who did very well in the playoffs... they needed defense and Dwight would bring that like he was trying to do with Tyson Chandler in NY who went on to win DPOY.

If you look at that Suns' roster you have Nash who we have now. Shawn Marion's role could be Metta's & Ebanks'. Raja Bell's role would be Kobe's but obviously at a way more intense and more focal part of the offense but you get the idea. Stoudemire & Diaw would be Pau Dwight & Hill who would be even better and way more efficent with Nash. & lastly Barbosa would potentially be Meeks (who should get minutes now).

D'Antoni & a defensive coordinator would be awesome. Nash would be super happy and get to do what he does. I think Dwight would be able to run more which is one of his huge advantages over EVERY center in the league. Kobe would be happy bc he has a huge respect for D'Antoni from the Olympic team, to the Suns' offense, to their roots in Italy where Kobe watched D'Antoni growing up. etc.
Ariza3

Postby bystander on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:Maybe, but that doesn't take away from their planning at all. They still did their job and coached.

Most European teams are actually much better teams than NBA teams, if that makes sense. European ball, as I'm sure you're familiar, is centered around ball movement and team play. The coaches did well enough battling that and making a game plan that fit their team.

McMillan's Blazers were always a good defensive squad and D'Antoni knows a thing or two about offense. Coach by committee and I think our team looks good.

I credit that work to that other guy i don't know his name on the roster of coaches. Colangelo picked him and when i heard him or read what he said, he knew what he was talking about international teams. I doubt those two know much about international ball, even D'Antoni.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't get it. How are we going to run with Pau on the team & an old slow team in general? Yes it would suit Dwight & Nash better, but outside of them Pringles would have us playing to our weakness.. I don't like the idea at all.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Coach K?

I've heard the opposite actually. :man10: I've heard that he didn't do a whole lot for the team other than be a leader. But as far as coaching itself, I heard he didn't much of that at all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:Coach K?

I've heard the opposite actually. :man10: I've heard that he didn't do a whole lot for the team other than be a leader. But as far as coaching itself, I heard he didn't much of that at all.

this is why d'antoni might work if we can convince nate mcmillan to come along for the ride
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby bystander on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 pm

therealdeal wrote:Coach K?

lol, f no coach k, i meant that old white guy with white hair. I don't know.

bystander

Postby MusixFinest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:53 pm

^Jim Boeheim? 'Cuse's coach?
MusixFinest

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Can a MDA offense beat Denver, Miami, our OKC at their own game (run n gun)? Or would MDA run a half court offense against those teams?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Phil Jackson or Sloan
JLaker17

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Punk-101 wrote:Can a MDA offense beat Denver, Miami, our OKC at their own game (run n gun)? Or would MDA run a half court offense against those teams?

He'd go pick and roll half court I'm sure. Push when it's there, and when it's not no sweat. pick and roll day long, sometimes with Nash and sometimes with Kobe.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:07 pm

MusixFinest wrote:^Jim Boeheim? 'Cuse's coach?

Thanks man.

Probably him, i don't remember that well, but i got the impression he knew what he was talking about. Don't know.

bystander

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:08 pm

bystander wrote:
MusixFinest wrote:^Jim Boeheim? 'Cuse's coach?

Thanks man.

Probably him, i don't remember that well, but i got the impression he knew what he was talking about. Don't know.

Yeah I'm sure he helped. I mean, hell let's bring him on too. :man10:

Honestly I think we just disagree on this one. I think those two in tandem would do well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby solenstyle on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I would be fine with all of those picks minus Pringles.
solenstyle

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Phil Jackson
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Everybody thinks the triangle hurts Nash. Well he's a hell of a shooter, but in terms of playmaking, there were years upon years were Kobe played the set up guy in the triangle. Also in Phil's last tenure, there were so many instances where they broke the triangle since they had athletes like Shannon Brown and Ariza. Phil admitted that they were running a hybrid triangle and this is when Tex came down with shingles. With Tex not in the fold too much, they really didn't have a triangle purist to sort of right the ship. Kobe even indicated in his "shut up" meeting with the media that they didn't run the triangle to perfection.

If Phil comes back, this isn't going to be a steady diet of triangle...Phil is a master of utilizing the strength of his personnel and making the offense work for them. Nash will not be limited to just a jump shooting guard in the triangle.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Phil Jackson. I'm surprised to hear people think he is a longshot of the 3. I actually think he is the top candidate of the 3.

He's been the coach here before, he's had success, his girlfriend is in Lakers management, he lives here (right now), he comes to the practices still to see Jeanie (as if they can't see each other after work, lol), he loves Kobe, he loves Dwight, he wants to coach.

I mean ... all the signs point to Phil.
JGC

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:29 pm

LOL. On Max & Marcellus they're making sure everyone calls Mike D'Antoni .... Mike Antoni because no D. Hahaha.
JGC

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Just got home to this news. Wow. Phil is my obvious choice.

It seems like there has been very little mention of Macmillan. Why is his name not getting thrown around more? If I remember correctly, he's a pretty darn good coach too....
GoldHammish

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Everybody thinks the triangle hurts Nash. Well he's a hell of a shooter, but in terms of playmaking, there were years upon years were Kobe played the set up guy in the triangle. Also in Phil's last tenure, there were so many instances where they broke the triangle since they had athletes like Shannon Brown and Ariza. Phil admitted that they were running a hybrid triangle and this is when Tex came down with shingles. With Tex not in the fold too much, they really didn't have a triangle purist to sort of right the ship. Kobe even indicated in his "shut up" meeting with the media that they didn't run the triangle to perfection.

If Phil comes back, this isn't going to be a steady diet of triangle...Phil is a master of utilizing the strength of his personnel and making the offense work for them. Nash will not be limited to just a jump shooting guard in the triangle.

Agreed 100%. I see no reason at all they can't mix P&R with the Triangle. Why not? Both Nash and Kobe can run it when it's advantageous in the flow at any point in a particular game.
LTLakerFan

Postby gcclaker on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:If Phil comes back, this isn't going to be a steady diet of triangle...Phil is a master of utilizing the strength of his personnel and making the offense work for them. Nash will not be limited to just a jump shooting guard in the triangle.

The bolded statement is part and parcel of ANY good, sensible coach let alone someone as decorated as Phil Jackson. Brown? Well, giving Metta World Peace minutes as backup shooting guard? The Meeks situation? Jackson had shooting guards in Hodges, Kerr and Hansen. Do those cats as respectable players were even known as defensive players that shouldn't see one minute on the floor?
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:57 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:phil or sloan. i'd be pretty happy with either (but voted phil, for what it's worth)

That's me, too. I'm pretty bummed that I hear they are even reaching out to D' Antoni. Very bummed actually.
D'Antoni is a poor fit for this roster, IMO. That and his teams play zero defense.

For me it's Phil, Sloan or bust.

I voted for Sloan. I would love Phil but I'm not sure he is more ideal than Sloan. First - there's the dynamic between him and Jim, which is definitely not ideal. Second, there's something about this roster that has Sloan written all over it. The combination of ball dominant, pick and roll point guard in Nash, with monstrously active pick and roll big in Howard, plus the mutual admiration society between Sloan and Kobe . . . I just think it could work perfectly.

I love Phil and he's the best coach ever, bar none. But there's something that worries me about trying to go back to the same well over and over (and over, in this case).

There's the Nash factor, which I guess would work out but isn't quite ideal in the triangle. Then there's the Artest factor -- he doesn't really get the triangle. Then there's the Pau Gasol quitting on Phil in the playoffs factor. Will Pau play for him again?

Those are all the things I have concerns over. But even with those concerns of course I would take Phil back in a heartbeat if he was up for coaching this team. How could you say no?
Last edited by Lakerjones on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones

Postby trodgers on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:03 pm

blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Kingsama on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Voted for Sloan as I think Phillip is a long shot. I'm intrigued by Antoni as his offense plus the Lakers talent could be brutal, but it scares me to death to think of his lack of d. JVG certainly could be interesting.
Kingsama

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion