Wade was surprised LA got Nash

Wade was surprised LA got Nash

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:54 am

Chris Perkins of Sheridan Hoops wrote:From Dwyane Wade’s point of view, the Los Angeles’ Lakers second major acquisition of the offseason didn’t surprise him. Dwight Howard-to-LA was always on the backburner.

It was the first one — the acquisition of Steve Nash — that caught him off guard.

“They’re making a play for a championship,” Wade told SheridanHoops.com Saturday on his nationwide book-signing tour.

“It’s not a surprising move that Dwight Howard went over there. I was kinda surprised to see Steve Nash. That was the one that was surprising.”

Call it The Great Impending Collision. We all expect to see it in mid-June, correct?

Heat vs. Lakers in the NBA Finals.

L.A.’s Big Three (Kobe Bryant, Howard and Nash) vs. Miami’s Big Three (Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh). It’s on.

“They’re putting themselves in position to compete for a championship,” Wade said. “Same thing we did in 2010.”

As for the Heat-Lakers matchup in the Finals, Wade seemed happy the Lakers have formed their own Big Three. But he’s taking the wait-and-see approach.

“Nothing is guaranteed to any one of us,” he said. “There’s a lot of good teams in the league, but this will make it very competitive.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Wade was surprised LA got Nash

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:25 am

Wade is saying all the right things for a good sportsman. It's funny that Pau is left out as if he's chopped liver. We have a big 4, not a big 3.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 am

It wasn't the same thing you did in 2010. You all put on a tour and made a circus of free agency as if you weren't already all going to Miami. Not to mention all of the shady buyouts and re-signings that Miami pulled off to get those 3.

The Lakers played this one by the rules and won. Class.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 am

L.A.’s Big Three (Kobe Bryant, Howard and Nash) vs. Miami’s Big Three (Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh). It’s on.

Last edited by bystander on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby John3:16 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 am

therealdeal wrote:It wasn't the same thing you did in 2010. You all put on a tour and made a circus of free agency as if you weren't already all going to Miami. Not to mention all of the shady buyouts and re-signings that Miami pulled off to get those 3.

:bow: :bow:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 am

you know you're a dominant team when Pau Gasol isn't apart of your big three....

On realgm somebody made a post that said something like name the top 10 players on the Heat and the Lakers: we clearly won

LeBron
Howard
Kobe
Wade
Nash
Pau
Bosh
Allen
Artest
Jamison
Center Court

Postby The Original 81 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 am

John3:16 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:It wasn't the same thing you did in 2010. You all put on a tour and made a circus of free agency as if you weren't already all going to Miami. Not to mention all of the shady buyouts and re-signings that Miami pulled off to get those 3.

:bow: :bow:

That part caught my eye as well. Not a valid comparison at all. Neither Dwight nor Steve were free agents, and I think its safe to say that neither were eyeing the Lakers for 3 years while under contract for another team. Well maybe Dwight was but all the reports during the trade rumors said he wasn't interested.

A pathetic attempt at validating the Heatles' act by Wade.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Lakers did it the right way. No pre championship celebration before the season even started. Nash was definitely not eyeing the lakers for any amount of time. Dwight maybe, but more of a dream not "im going there in free agency regardless of what happens." he was pushing for the nets if anything at all regarding leaving the magic in free agency.

I hated the Heat bc of the way they did it in getting LeBron and Bosh and how they both handled it with arrogance and no respect for the teams they left behind with NOTHING. Having meetings with Wade and talking about joining up for years isnt how it should be. Mitch did all the work and Kobe only talked with Nash pretty much the day of the trade and even then it was more Nash talking to Kobe to see if it was okay. Magic and the Suns both got at least something for their star player unlike Cavs or Rapters. Magic dumped players they didnt want with a multiteam trade, and suns got a pretty big trade exception to spend on a new player in their rebuilding.

The way our big 3 (big 4) got together is no where near what the heat did in 2010. nash has remained a mute about the whole thing and dwight has done nothing but imbrace LA and thank orlando for everything. wade is trying to compare our 2 offseasons but theyre completely different. people hate on the lakers bc they got nash and dwight...but not for how they did it.
Ariza3

Postby Juronimo on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Lakers did it the right way. No pre championship celebration before the season even started. Nash was definitely not eyeing the lakers for any amount of time. Dwight maybe, but more of a dream not "im going there in free agency regardless of what happens." he was pushing for the nets if anything at all regarding leaving the magic in free agency.

I hated the Heat bc of the way they did it in getting LeBron and Bosh and how they both handled it with arrogance and no respect for the teams they left behind with NOTHING. Having meetings with Wade and talking about joining up for years isnt how it should be. Mitch did all the work and Kobe only talked with Nash pretty much the day of the trade and even then it was more Nash talking to Kobe to see if it was okay. Magic and the Suns both got at least something for their star player unlike Cavs or Rapters. Magic dumped players they didnt want with a multiteam trade, and suns got a pretty big trade exception to spend on a new player in their rebuilding.

The way our big 3 (big 4) got together is no where near what the heat did in 2010. nash has remained a mute about the whole thing and dwight has done nothing but imbrace LA and thank orlando for everything. wade is trying to compare our 2 offseasons but theyre completely different. people hate on the lakers bc they got nash and dwight...but not for how they did it.

I am Juronimo and I approve of this message.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Phil XI on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Ummm NO Dwayne Wayne. This was not some prearranged secret back room tittie-bar meeting in China where they all said 'let's join up when we hit free agency. Oh and do you have any more ones for the ladies?'

This was THE MAGIC WAND in full effect. Mix-Master Mitch doing his thing!
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:48 pm

I agree with you guys, there was no scheming involved in building our team the way it went down in Miami. This was nothing but greatness by the Lakers organization when you consider that really, neither Nash nor Howard really wanted to come here. Nash obviously was a rival while in Phoenix and probably hated us more than any other team, and Dwight wanted to go to Brooklyn. Then there's also guys like Hill and Jamison (and probably Meeks as well) who took less money just to run with this squad.

Hell of a job by Mitch, Jim and the rest of the staff..........or sorcery at its finest, either way......
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby TrillyandTruly on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Ariza3 wrote:Lakers did it the right way. No pre championship celebration before the season even started. Nash was definitely not eyeing the lakers for any amount of time. Dwight maybe, but more of a dream not "im going there in free agency regardless of what happens." he was pushing for the nets if anything at all regarding leaving the magic in free agency.

:jam2:
My entourage is in camouflage; remove your mask, let down your visage...
TrillyandTruly

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Phenomenal posts in here!! I totally agree with you guys. :bow: :jam2:

This has zero to do with collusion ala the super friends over there and the sleazy CHEAT organization. Mitch is the man. Wheeling, dealing, pulling off the totally unexpected and unbelievable.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Wade was surprised we got Nash.....

No one was surprised the cHeat got Bron/Bosh....

End of comparison.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby gcclaker on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 pm

I was suprised that the Lakers were able to get Nash too especially since it was done the normal way...you know like it wasn't pre-ordained or agreed upon prior to it.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:45 pm

not to mention incredible maneuvering for the lakers to make it all work within the rules. the fact that each acquisition was through trade or using an exception is incredible.

jaimison being the only player who was handed to us considering he took less to come here
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:56 pm

last stand wrote:

not to mention incredible maneuvering for the lakers to make it all work within the rules. the fact that each acquisition was through trade or using an exception is incredible.

jaimison being the only player who was handed to us considering he took less to come here

Actually a lot of people took less to play here: Nash (Tor/NY), Jamison (Cha), and Hill and Meeks (reported).

Everyone who came here, came here to win.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 pm

therealdeal wrote:
last stand wrote:

Actually a lot of people took less to play here: Nash (Tor/NY), Jamison (Cha), and Hill and Meeks (reported).

Everyone who came here, came here to win.

i guess you can say that. though nash and meeks didn't take considerably less. just small pay cuts. i don't know hills number, i do know jaimison was the only one to take a massive pay cut
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 pm

A cut is a cut. And when you're talking either 12 million or 8.9, I hope you realize that 3.1 million is actually quite a lot of money.

Meeks took probably 500,000 - 1 million less to play here. Jordan I think was probably offered 4 million or so meaning he took about 1 million less to play here (this part is all guesses, but educated guesses nonetheless).

That's a lot of money people left on the table to be here. That can't really be trivialized as "just small pay cuts".
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Phil XI on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:54 pm

point?
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby revgen on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Nash took a cut from what he would have made in Toronto. NYK not so much. The rumor was that NY was going to pay him 7m to 10m a year. Basically what we're paying him. Bottomline, Nash would have probably went to Toronto or NY if we weren't able to swing the TPE for him. He wasn't going to come here for mini-MLE money.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 pm

revgen wrote:Nash took a cut from what he would have made in Toronto. NYK not so much. The rumor was that NY was going to pay him 7m to 10m a year. Basically what we're paying him. Bottomline, Nash would have probably went to Toronto or NY if we weren't able to swing the TPE for him. He wasn't going to come here for mini-MLE money.

Nobody said he was... All that I said was that he took a lower offer to play here. That's all I said, and it's very clearly true. There was a reported offer on the table from Toronto worth 36 million and he came here for 28 million. That's taking less money.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Everyone has their own opinion, so what, let's just finish putting our squad together. Feel in a couple of holes,get blake out of the rotation yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby MadMax on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:23 am

ben_ready wrote:Everyone has their own opinion, so what, let's just finish putting our squad together. Feel in a couple of holes,get blake out of the rotation yell™

MadMax

Postby John3:16 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:38 am

MadMax wrote:
ben_ready wrote:Everyone has their own opinion, so what, let's just finish putting our squad together. Feel in a couple of holes,get blake out of the rotation yell™

Don't tell me you think the roster is fine the way it is. We still need some Gs. Yo!
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion