Was starting Sessions last season a mistake?

Was starting Sessions last season a mistake?

Postby RHCP on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 am

I really felt that starting Ramon last season was a bad mistake for the Lakers, especially considering how well he was playing with the second unit. The Lakers desperately needed a spark plug off of the bench, and he would have been perfect. A crafty point guard who can push and score the ball. I feel like playing with the starting unit also limited his game and his overall impact. Steve Blake would've been much more suited as a starting PG considering his only jobs would have been be to shoot threes and pass the ball to big men.

What do people think?

Also, I feel like pressure from fans and the media contributed to his spot in the starting lineup.
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Re: Was starting Sessions last season a mistake?

Postby MadMax on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:29 am

Eh, I don't think it would of really mattered in the long run. We weren't getting past OKC, imo.
MadMax

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 am

MadMax wrote:Eh, I don't think it would of really mattered in the long run. We weren't getting past OKC, imo.

Choked up leads like crazy, should have beaten them.
BadCoaching

Postby sina on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:31 am

Agree.
sina

Postby trodgers on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:41 am

Yay! Something new to discuss!

I am of two minds about Sessions. I really liked what he brought to the team and thought he could be a longterm contributor (starter, in fact). I also thought that he shut down at some point and I don't like that he opted out.

I blame Brown for mishandling his situation. If Brown had given him not quite carte blanche but more freedom, Sessions would've been a big hit, with more confidence in the playoffs. Reining him back in really stunted his play. And it probably contributed to his leaving.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BDG on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:50 am

Whether or not Brown mishandled the situation is kinda irrelevant to me personally.

Sessions folded under the pressure in the Playoffs. Fact.

He looked scared at times. Only he is to blame for that.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakerFan1980 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

Sessions seemed like he didn't have good footing at times. He seemed to do a lot of slipping!
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 am

I think the mistake, assuming this option was available, was not trading Blake instead of Fish. Fish remains the token starter & hits clutch shots when we need him to. Ramon plays the bulk of the PG minutes & some SG, while learning from the most clutch backcourt conbo to ever exist..
LakersN4

Postby 432J on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 am

BDG wrote:Whether or not Brown mishandled the situation is kinda irrelevant to me personally.

Sessions folded under the pressure in the Playoffs. Fact.

He looked scared at times. Only he is to blame for that.

this. it was obvious that he simply couldn't handle the pressure

which is probably why he decided to sign with a team like charlotte, where there is pretty much no pressure on him to do anything. sucks though because just imagine sessions backing up nash
:bow:
432J

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am

Sessions > Blake. So no, it wasn't a mistake. It all that we had to work with.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 am

^ Discussion for another time and place fellas.

Sessions off the bench might have been better for Brown because Brown wouldn't give him any control as long as he played with Kobe. He forced Sessions into a small role which killed the kid's confidence and made him meek in the playoffs.

I too think he ran away from the spotlight, but he was abused here mentally by Brown. If he were on the bench perhaps Brown would have given him more freedom, but that's not what Mitch brought him here to do anyway.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:23 am

We needed a change to the Fish era in our starting 5. Sessions provided that and to a much larger degree, Nash provides that. He might have fit better with some of the players and style of the second unit, but he wasn't brought here to be a backup and he wouldn't have gotten enough burn by playing with the second unit to make an impact. Plus, there's always the chance with coming off the bench that he gets the McBob or Glock treatment from Brown and gets forgotten about and demoted to street clothes.

I liked Sessions, thought he did good here during the regular season. He had a really rough first taste of the post-season, but a lot of players do. I wish he would have stayed and was Nash's backup instead of Blake. I think Nash could have sped up the learning process for him and we could have a more successful passing of the torch in a couple years...I think Sessions would have thrived next to Dwight. But that's not the route he took and that's not how things played out, so we can't really worry about it now. Hopefully we can find a better backup and to-be-replacement for Nash to train next summer.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby John3:16 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

Was he ready to lead a championship team? no.

Was he better then anyone we had? yes.

Would he have benefited from coming off the bench and learning from Steve Nash? Abso-freaking-lutely!
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 am

Sessions was great until they made him a starter and made him slow down his game for the bigs. If they were going to neuter his greatest strength, they should have kept starting Blake...who was fine with the starters, and used Ramon with the bench.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am

John3:16 wrote:Was he ready to lead a championship team? no.

Was he better then anyone we had? yes.

Would he have benefited from coming off the bench and learning from Steve Nash? Abso-freaking-lutely!

I bet he's still kicking himself. I wonder if by the deadline Charlotte is willing to sell him back to us for Blake and Clark (they can cut cost and add some depth? I don't know). That'd be fun.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Interesting question.

1. Ramon would of been better with the bench guys for the simple fact he could attack at will and push the ball. In that aspect we would have used his greatest strength.

2. People say Brown stifled him as a starter which is where I disagree. Ramon could attack which is what the team needed but after his shoulder injury he stopped. When he first got with the starters he would push the ball and attack the other gaurds which is what we needed but that injury killed his shot and his confidence. Add all that together and we get "I am afraid of the light" Ramon that we had in the playoffs.

People love to kill Blake but the simple fact is Blake wasn't afraid of the moment. Ramon was the more skilled player but Steve had the balls to be out there when it mattered. I think Ramon left because LA has to big of a spotlight where getting to the playoffs isn't good enough.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm

I think it just came down to experience. Ramon didnt have any and its not uncommon for a player to fold under the pressure of his first playoff experience...especially being on a team like the lakers. He didnt want to step on anyone toes; and playing with the starters he was playing with guys like kobe and bynum who demanded the ball.

i do feel that he would have been better off with the bench...when he played with them he instantly clickd with barnes. He could do his own thing and attack the rim or dish to who ever he wanted without the obligation to feed bynum or defer to kobe. I think we had a good chance against okc, as they weren't thaaat much better than us; but overall i would still expect the same results with sesh starting or not.

Our bench was a huge problem last season and gave up huge leads when they were in; and sesh could have been the top scorer off the bench for us followed by barnes 7ppg. blake's style of play was more suited with the starters and played pretty well with them. his timid style of play fit well with the "feed the bigs first" style offense followed by stand around the perimeter and shoot open 3's.

i miss sesh bc he would have really put our bench over the top if he was still here as he would def not start and would get minutes over blake. Nash/Sesh/Blake/Duhon would make us VERY VERY deep at the PG position...Nash would come out and immediately sesh would attack attack attack. Minus the playoffs he was awesome for us and made guys like Barnes awesome too for us.

I could only imagine how our bench would be with Sesh & Jaminson running the unit and being back together again like for the Cavs...along with Meeks too! that would have been and amazing bench. Sesh/Meeks/Jaminson those 3 would have been great for us and with Ebanks and Hill playing D we could only wish...

Oh well...Sesh is kicking himself and missed out on a huge opportunity...he could have been the future starting PG after Nash retires and learned alot from him and kobe. Meeks was smart bc hes gunna do that but i guess LA wasnt for Sesh.
Ariza3

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 pm

He wanted a bigger role than backup, and he got the biggest possible role: starter on a championship team. He couldn't deliver.

Be careful what you wish for.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Sessions left for darker pastures, perennial losing, 500k more and to backup a far inferior player compared to Steve Nash for the same amount of minutes.

He couldn't get away from the bright lights and big stage fast enough. I'm glad we got guys that wanted to be here, win rings and do it on the big stage.

Good riddance to him. I can see him team hopping the rest of the career.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby ben_ready on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Wow oh wow, y'all making it seem like blake is better lol. How many people were able to stop westbrook and tony Parker last year? Those were the two guys who killed sessions.

If we still had him we would be feeling that much better Bout our bench yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby purp n gold on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Mistake? Probably, but I don't think how big of a mistake. I wanted to Sessions to start, so I can't hang that on Mike Brown. But in hindsight, I can see a scenario where Sessions would be great off the bench. From a basketball standpoint his game would have been freed up in the 2nd unit.

But did benching/starting Sessions determine:

-Whether we lose or win against OKC: No. Putting Sessions in the 2nd unit wouldn't change the outcome of the games. We lost some close ones to OKC, but Dallas lost the same kind of close games and they were swept. 4-1 and 4-0 isn't that much different. It's easy to say "if only we had done this or that...", but the games played out. OKC beat us in 4 out of 5 games. If that doesn't prove OKC were a better team than us last year, I don't know what will. The best team always wins in a 7 game series.
-Whether Sessions opts in instead of out: No. Not at all.

So in the end I think it's inconsequential.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby trodgers on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm

There are some interesting narratives in this thread. Sessions was GOOD as a starter for us. And good for quite a few games. Then there were rumors that he had met with Brown to discuss his role. And he was bad.

Five starts in March:
12.4 points, 7.2 assists

First nine starts in April:
15.0 points, 7.3 assists

Final five starts:
9.2 points, 3.2 assists

Playoffs:
9.7 points, 3.6 assists

If there's a story to be told about what happened with Sessions, it has to countenance the facts that he was good as a starter for games...and then his stats became very much like Fisher/Blake numbers...and this was after meeting Brown to discuss his role.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BadCoaching on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm

He was injured.
BadCoaching

Postby dj vitus on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Should we bring Nash off the bench then?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 am

I didn't see it as a mistake until playoff time. Sesh was doing a great job leading our 2nd unit. Barnes was posting career numbers & our bench really had a spark. I think Ramon could have continued to do that in the playoffs. Leading the starters was just too much & he crumbled. You can't really blame Mike Brown. Let's be honest, NONE of us wanted to see Blake in the starting lineup. As I stated in my previous post, can't help but wonder how it would have went if we kept Fish instead of Blake. He may have kept that token starter role. But then we might not have been so desperate to hit a home run (more like a grand slam tbh). It all worked out in the end.
lakersin4

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion