Bazemore signs with Hawks (p. 12)

Re: Welcome Kent Bazemore and Marshon Brooks!

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Yes, this was a smart move:

1. We probably want to keep Marshall (Mitch himself said that Marshall has earned more time) and Farmar (who is an excellent bench player with good "motor" and athleticism, but not able to sustain heavy minutes).

2. Next, we are trying to find a guy to play behind Kobe. We know exactly what Meeks brings, but I think re-signing him is unlikely. He's strictly a shooter. Maybe we could get a solid athletic defender instead.

3. We'll try to re-sign Henry, who will obviously be cheap and has shown nice potential, and Young - who is fantastic off the bench in a scoring role - if the price is right.

That's all I can see right now. Wes is in a limbo at this point, who knows what happens with him. So, we either find another diamond in the rough, such as Manny or one of these two young guys, or we sign a vet cheap for just 2014/15.

Finally, we either draft a big, or a dynamic wing player and develop him together with Marshall and maybe Henry. Anyone agree?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 pm

karacha wrote:Finally, we either draft a big, or a dynamic wing player and develop him together with Marshall and maybe Henry. Anyone agree?

how bout SIGN a dynamic wing (#6) and draft that big (embiid)....one can dream right? :man1:
khmrP

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I can't stand Bazemore, so he already has that going for him.

He already has your disdain? :man10:

What did he do?

He's just one of those players, everyone has them, that just looking at them and watching them play annoys you.

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:51 pm

karacha wrote:Yes, this was a smart move:

1. We probably want to keep Marshall (Mitch himself said that Marshall has earned more time) and Farmar (who is an excellent bench player with good "motor" and athleticism, but not able to sustain heavy minutes).

2. Next, we are trying to find a guy to play behind Kobe. We know exactly what Meeks brings, but I think re-signing him is unlikely. He's strictly a shooter. Maybe we could get a solid athletic defender instead.

3. We'll try to re-sign Henry, who will obviously be cheap and has shown nice potential, and Young - who is fantastic off the bench in a scoring role - if the price is right.

That's all I can see right now. Wes is in a limbo at this point, who knows what happens with him. So, we either find another diamond in the rough, such as Manny or one of these two young guys, or we sign a vet cheap for just 2014/15.

Finally, we either draft a big, or a dynamic wing player and develop him together with Marshall and maybe Henry. Anyone agree?

I do and I think you're mostly correct. I think we bank on X/Swaggy, but if the price on Swaggy is too high we can backpedal with Meeks or Brooks?

Otherwise, yes we give more time to Marshall/Farmar which was needed. We lose salary at a position we are deep in, and only gain contracts that will expire at the end of this season.

Wes should be gone. I'd rather give the minutes to Kelly/Williams. Yeah, I said it. Unless he wants to get paid the same as this year with no guarantee of minutes. I'm cool with that too.

I just find it odd that we couldn't move Kaman as well. You'd think we could have gotten one of 1)DPE/TPE 2) expiring contracts 3) 2nd round pick.

I won't speculate anymore. In Mitch We Trust.
Chillbongo

Postby Johnnyboy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 pm

if dantoni has a say, brooks will be our future stretch 4. lol
Johnnyboy

Postby Vlade_12 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm

i actually like Brooks. I think he can bring scoring to the bench. Nobody thought anything of Shannon Brown, Ariza, JHill, Marshall until they were brought in and got a chance. Sure Boston sucks but they have some talent at their wing spots and the warriors do as well.

going forward we are adding a nice young core
c: ???
pf: j hill, kelly
sf: wesj, nick young
sg: kobe , x, brooks
pg: Exum, Marshall

well kobe being the outliner and old. but we adding young pieces quick. i expect farmar and meeks to get paid in free agency. we also still have sacre and nash to the mix. 12 players and center im unsure going forward.
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby magicman32 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Manny Harris is better than both these guys, go figure
magicman32

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:54 pm

^

I think we made a mistake there, because he was actually a decent two-way player, but we offered him too many 10-day contracts and were trying to save space for potential trades. Which is exactly what happened in the end. We created space for two new guys and saved money. Maybe one of them will pan out, and if not -- we can always call Manny back for the training camp. He'd be happy to play for the Lakers again. He seemed very enthusiastic in general.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:03 pm

The Harris thing is still a dumb move.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby gcclaker on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 pm

magicman32 wrote:Manny Harris is better than both these guys, go figure

Agreed. It makes this puzzling all around. Just $$$ move all the same much.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Bazemore? More like Blazemore? #amirite?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby bigdog2013 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:37 pm

I believe Young and farmer have players options for next year.

Jodie most likely is gone, he has played well and is probably looking for a bigger contract.
bigdog2013

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Young has a player option and could leave for free agency.
Farmar, Jodie, X, Wes, Brooks, Hill, Kaman, Pau are all expiring and unrestricted free agents.
Sacre is fully guaranteed next year at just under 1M.
Marshall is non-guaranteed next year at just under 1M.
Nash is fully guaranteed next year at 9.7M and will be a likely candidate for the stretch provision which will lead to a cap hit of 3.2M for each season til summer of 2017 where it comes off the books.
Kobe is fully guaranteed at 23.5M
Bazemore and Kelly are both restricted free agents.

If Nick opts in, Kelly and Bazemore sign qualifying offers in order to be unrestricted FAs in the summer of 2015 and we don't waive Marshall, along with Sacre, Nash and Kobe the Lakers are at 38M and have cap holds of 40M with all their free agents.

Cap ceiling is set to about 62.2M for next season. Lakers will have to renounce their free agents to pursue players this summer.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 pm

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Young will leave for free agency for sure. He'd be crazy not to. (while still giving us a discount, hehe; same with Farmar). And yes, we're probably going to renounce a bunch of our free agents. I don't think we'll "stretch" Nash, but that's just me. I think it's better to eat that salary next year and maybe try to trade him as an expiring.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Someone needs to give Nash a 9 million dollar "endorsement" on the back burner, so he can give up his 9 million dollar salary.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby West's Formula 44 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 am

I see so far Bazemore is 46-80 on free throws in his young NBA career. That's something he better work on if he hopes to stick with someone. Anyone.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am

karacha wrote:Yes, this was a smart move:

Absolutely.

We've been going on scouting trips all season long with these young guys. Jordan, Henry, Young, Johnson, Meeks, Marshall, Sacre, Kelly, Williams, Harris, now Bazemore and Brooks. All of these have been auditions not just for the Lakers but for these guys to make it in the NBA with SOMEONE. We knew what we had in Blake: an older PG with a lot of fire and even more injuries. He's a great guy, but not a key to rebuilding. He gave us a couple more auditions and that's a good thing. He also cleared space for Jordan and Marshall to figure their stuff out and see if they can be our PGs next season.

Say the Lakers take a pick above Exum (maybe they don't even like Exum) and we get a wing player like Parker or Wiggins. Can Marshall/Farmar carry us at that spot or do we need more help?

Maybe Bazemore turns into that athletic defender we need along the perimeter assuming Wes leaves. Maybe Brooks turns into a cheaper Nick Young if Nick gets a great offer somewhere else. I don't see the downside to this trade at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Brooks drew some Afro/Rookie Kobe comparisons in 2011 didn't he.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:46 pm

^ Yeah, but I never really saw them. I don't like that kid to be honest.

I'm more thinking about what Bazemore has to offer.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:12 pm

I was waiting for Marshon to show us something special, people called him young Kobe because the way he is playing, he has a lot of potential but he just never had chance to show it, i am not defending him, but just look at it, he had 29 minutes per game in Nets in his rookie season, and his average was 12 points, 3 rebounds 2 assists, if you ask me that is not bad AT ALL for 25th pick, after that he almost didn't have normal minutes, but there must be the reason why this is his 4th team in 4 years, but than again that don't have to mean much, look at Kendall Marshall situation, just few months ago he was D-league player and now his stats are in top of the league, i don't expect for Marshon to be in top, but just don't be surprised if he starts to play well.
Check out this video, whole team is joking about his defense :man1: perfect MDA type of player :man10:

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 pm

^ Man your point went along in faster circles than a cat chasing a laser pointer. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I can't stand Bazemore, so he already has that going for him.

He already has your disdain? :man10:

What did he do?

He's just one of those players, everyone has them, that just looking at them and watching them play annoys you.

:man10: Don't know him but I understand the sentiment. Out of curiosity what are the things that annoy you? Is he a cookie cutter look at me chest pounder?
LTLakerFan

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:18 pm

trodgers wrote:Bazemore? More like Blazemore? #amirite?

:man12:
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Well, at least Bazemore and Brooks are decent in NBA 2K14. Our injury decimated roster was getting lame to play with, and their ratings immediately placed them both in our starting lineup by the game because all our good players are injured. :man10: Bazemore was a beast on defense, dunked off a steal, and hit 3's, and Brooks was hitting 3's as well and I beat the Celtics by 4. So... yeah
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion