What do we honestly have to look forward to?

Re: What do we honestly have to look forward to?

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:31 pm

JGC wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
Weezy wrote:This "woe is me" stuff is kinda getting out of hand no? We've missed the playoffs once since I started watching the Lakers in '93, we've won 5 titles in that time, some teams have never won one, some teams make the playoffs a handful of times in that 20 years. I know this sucks, but it has to happen to every team, it wasn't for lack of trying with the roster, but yeah IMO the coaching hires were horrible. What we have to look forward to now is seeing where we go from here, what they do to get better, whether that's reloading yet again, or rebuilding in some way. I look forward to being great again at some point, because with the Lakers that's almost a guarantee, whereas some teams never know if they will be good, ever.

With Jim Buss leading things, i no longer have confidence that we will be great. He should not be making basketball related decisions. Sure, in the past we had West and Kupchak but now?

Wait a minute. You thought before the season started that we would suck? BS.

Nope. But i was always cautious. Never guaranteeing anything. Ask weezy. I said on paper we looked good but games aren't played on paper. We had age issues. We had lack of athleticism issues. I was just cautious.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby akonitanaka on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm

What do we honestly have to look forward to?

Answer: Weight loss greater than the Jenny Craig system, no more free tacos for us.
akonitanaka

Postby thkthebest on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Normally, if your team is not making the playoffs, you have draft picks, cap space, and/or youth to look forward to.

We have a $100 million roster that's old with no picks that might finish in the bottom 3 of the WC. :man10:
thkthebest

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:35 pm

lakers-discussion/champagne-fridge-t135585.html

Check my posts staring on page 2. Of course i didn't expect this but i was cautious. And everyone was bashing me for being negative. I was just trying to be objective.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:lakers-discussion/champagne-fridge-t135585.html

Check my post in page 2. Of course i didn't expect this but i was cautious.

I remember that thread and I cringed when I read it.

The thing is, there isn't a single person in the universe who realistically expected us to be 17-25. Even people who didn't care for the Lakers felt we would struggle initially but still win at least 50 games.

I think there's something to be said about the level of delusion we all had concerning the roster. It always had glaring weaknesses that we felt would be minimized by superstar talent. The problem is none of our stars except Kobe have performed anywhere near what we thought they would (although Kobe is burning out now). The chemistry isn't there and the reason the Lakers have looked worse and worse as the season has gone on is because it is BLATANTLY obvious the players don't believe they can do it anymore. Remember when we were top 10 in offense and defense? We plummeted in defense and the same is starting to happen on offense. The players are about to give up.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
JGC wrote:
Lets Go Lakers wrote:
Weezy wrote:This "woe is me" stuff is kinda getting out of hand no? We've missed the playoffs once since I started watching the Lakers in '93, we've won 5 titles in that time, some teams have never won one, some teams make the playoffs a handful of times in that 20 years. I know this sucks, but it has to happen to every team, it wasn't for lack of trying with the roster, but yeah IMO the coaching hires were horrible. What we have to look forward to now is seeing where we go from here, what they do to get better, whether that's reloading yet again, or rebuilding in some way. I look forward to being great again at some point, because with the Lakers that's almost a guarantee, whereas some teams never know if they will be good, ever.

With Jim Buss leading things, i no longer have confidence that we will be great. He should not be making basketball related decisions. Sure, in the past we had West and Kupchak but now?

Wait a minute. You thought before the season started that we would suck? BS.

Nope. But i was always cautious. Never guaranteeing anything. Ask weezy. I said on paper we looked good but games aren't played on paper. We had age issues. We had lack of athleticism issues. I was just cautious.

If you go back and look at my posts I was cautious too, but my caution was "I'm not convinced we're better than OKC and Miami even with this roster", it wasn't that we'd be absolute garbage. They put together a good roster on paper, I'm not blaming Jim for that, only the coaches.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:lakers-discussion/champagne-fridge-t135585.html

Check my posts staring on page 2. Of course i didn't expect this but i was cautious. And everyone was bashing me for being negative. I was just trying to be objective.

Wow that's a depressing read, so much excitement turned to so much crap.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 am

9th place. If that.

D12 and Jamison leave.
Kobe requests to be amnestied so he can get #6 somewhere else.
Pau and MWP are expirings, iirc. Trade them
Trade Nash to Toronto for anything they'll give.

Next year's starters:
Hill, Clark, Ebanks, Meeks, Morris.

I hope I'm just kidding...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:04 am

I was cautiously optimistic but had my doubts like Weezy and GCC. I usually hate threads like that because I'm superstitious about jinxes. Surprised I popped my head in there.

Re: Champagne in my fridge
by Lakerjones on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

I'd say I'm somewhere between Weezy and GCCLaker's cautious optimism. I have had my doubts all along about Mike Brown and they weren't assuaged by last year's playoff performance (especially against Denver).

I think Eddie Jordan and Bernie B. are great additions and will certainly help us in the coaching department, so I'm greatly relieved by that. I liked Brown's defense against OKC, so if he's just focused on that it could be enough to get us there with Jordan and Nash essentially running the offense.

Bernie is a straight shooter (almost to a fault), and I think he'll let Brown know if his substitutions are garbage. If you are familiar with Bickerstaff as a coach you'll know that he doesn't mince words. He swears up a storm on the sideline and is very animated. He doesn't lay back. I think that's a great thing in this case because I could see him straightening out Brown if he's going off the rails.

Like GCC says, we're making the WCF. Do we get over OKC? I think we should be able to, although it might be a dogfight. If I were a betting man I'd say we make the Finals and then it's anyone's guess. On paper, as Bosh and Durant have mentioned, we look like the best team. But we're going to have to prove it.
Lakerjones
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

Weezy and Lakerjones,

Both of you are very objective posters. And that's what i try to do. Just see things as they are without an agenda.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Weezy and Lakerjones,

Both of you are very objective posters. And that's what i try to do. Just see things as they are without an agenda.

^^ Thank you. I had high hopes for us this year. I really thought we were at least the third best team in the league. To say we've underachieved would be understating things. Personally I have very high regard for GCC. He rocks.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

Do you have alcohol in your fridge?

Well, after each game, you can look forward to drinking plenty of that. :man10:
MadMax

Postby GinoDB on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 am

Im looking for a Pau trade, if it doesnt happen then im looking away till hes gone
GinoDB

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am

a miracle :soap:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby robKBMJ on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 am

Jim Buss wiped the slate clean of Jackson and any trace of his associates to build his own legacy and this where we're at now. Well Jim, here's your legacy, forkface!
robKBMJ

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:48 am

Next summer maybe?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby 24/23goats on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 am

you guys are funny lol.. try being a fan of a team thats 11-32.. then youll know whats its like to have nothing to look forward to and throw the white flag.

Even if you guys are losing at least you get to see kobe go nuts from time to time and that you probably wont be down for that long. Only thing i get to watch is Kyrie Irving and his D-league buddies try to win a game but sadly lose almost every one.
24/23goats

Postby Ludachris on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am

If anyone comes across the fountain of youth any time soon, can they let Jerry Buss know about it so that he can come back and take over for his son. Then I'll feel more comfortable with what we have to look forward to. The way the coaching debacle played out showed the world that this is no longer a first class organization. I wouldn't be surprised if D'Antoni got fired before the season ends, which would be a disaster - not because he doesn't deserve it, but because the organization has to show "some" patience. They were a little too quick to fire Brown, even though he was probably a bad fit. I think that's our biggest hurdle right now - who can they bring in to coach this team? Phil won't do it, at least not now. What quality coach would want to come coach here after everything they saw this season? We might have cap room after next season, but will we have a quality coach?
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

jlkr wrote:9th place. If that.

D12 and Jamison leave.
Kobe requests to be amnestied so he can get #6 somewhere else.
Pau and MWP are expirings, iirc. Trade them
Trade Nash to Toronto for anything they'll give.

Next year's starters:
Hill, Clark, Ebanks, Meeks, Morris.

I hope I'm just kidding...

Kobe can't go ANYWHERE he please's if he gets amenstied, learn the the rules :bang:
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 am

Well the season's over, our players don't like each other, our coach doesn't really know how to coach and we're a national joke.

Aside from the obvious cap room (flexibility) we'll have in the summer of 2014 to rebuild, I think the thing we have to look forward to the most is it cant get any worse than this!

Chin up boys and girls! :jam2:

Awe, who am I kidding. Just boys. :man10:
phoenixrisingla

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 am

I'm looking forward to a new coach. Not saying it will happen. That's up to the FO. But I can always hope.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 am

Lakeshow75 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Holy Jeebus you guys ever been apart of a losing season before......

Pull your skirts up and deal with it.

Seriously, great post. Just get over it and deal.

Some of us have been around since the 80's (or longer) and have seen lots of winning, and our fair share of losing. This is part of life. You can't win every single year.

Losing just makes you appreciate the winning that much more.

Bingo :bow:
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am

One big problem we never did resolve is our TERRIBLE defense at the PG positiion... Nash is just AWFUL against anyone out there; even worse than Fisher. Much worse, actually. And of course, because Nash can't guard a traffic cone, Kobe is trying to guard opposing PG's AND keep shooting 20+ times / game, which is just draining his legs... more and more I want to strangle Stern for nixing the CP3 trade... that would have shipped Pau out, vast upgraded our PG spot and probably kept Bynum here (while also keeping the Clips in the cellar). Who knows, maybe Bynum would have avoided that bowling injury :man9: .
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:35 am

I agree, and this is why I am looking forward to 2014. We won a lot in the 80s, then weren't great for a while. Won again with Shaq/Kobe duo, and after that we sucked. The new team came, we won more championships, tried to put a new team together in 2012. This didn't work. We suck now, probably next year too. Then Mitch is going to build a new team and we'll get to the top again.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 am

Psychobroker wrote:One big problem we never did resolve is our TERRIBLE defense at the PG positiion... Nash is just AWFUL against anyone out there; even worse than Fisher. Much worse, actually. And of course, because Nash can't guard a traffic cone, Kobe is trying to guard opposing PG's AND keep shooting 20+ times / game, which is just draining his legs... more and more I want to strangle Stern for nixing the CP3 trade... that would have shipped Pau out, vast upgraded our PG spot and probably kept Bynum here (while also keeping the Clips in the cellar). Who knows, maybe Bynum would have avoided that bowling injury :man9: .

Totally agree.

And the "solution" to put Nash on the other team's 2 guard, chasing and running off screens all game?

Fail.
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion