What's likely to happen in Summer of 2014

Re: What's likely to happen in Summer of 2014

Postby Center Court on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm very curious what we do i both LeBron and Melo leave.

IMO it's very unlikely that Bron leaves Miami. Riley has basically created the east coast version of the Lakers. He;s finally 100% past The Decision backlash and creating his own identity. Bron's very socially connected especially with the hip hop community and there's a great deal of that culture a part of Miami, which I think he loves. Do I think he'll sit down with LA. Yes, 100%. And hopefully we do more for him than we did for Howard. Aka, bring Magic to the meeting. However, I just don't see him deserting Miami. If he did, it'd probably be to go back to Cleveland, but I think that'd happen at the end of his next contract. However, if/when they win, it's a certainty he stays. If they lose, then we have like a 20% chance.

Melo is a different story. We know he loves NY and NY loves him. However, if they have another fizzled out playoff ending, I think both sides may have a change of heart. Sticking around to play with JR, Amare, Chandler, and Felton is not championship ready. Melo and Kobe are genuinely close and I think they'd love to play together. Something I think would benefit both. Melo helps see basketball from a new POV and Kobe can ease up on trying to carry a team. In the end I think if we seriously go after him like we are Bron and we did Howard, I see him coming here. I'd be very happy to sign Melo. I think he;s got 3-5 GREAT years left.

The idea that both come together is a great one, but it's highly unlikely. LeBron would really tarnish his rep if he jumped to LA to form a newer/better big 3. if both stay or end up elsewhere and we don't get a great pick, I think we need to embrace the idea of having a horrid 2014-2015. Then go after Rondo/Love/Aldridge/Marc etc.
Center Court

Postby charvin on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:00 am

If LeBron left Miami, the only reason I would ever think that would happen is that he knows Wade and Bosh are done and no longer a Big 3. It's going to happen, and happen soon - Wade is only 31, but his body is closer to Kobe's 34 because of all the knee surgeries and whatnot, while the dinosaur continues to fade in and out of games.

Yes, Riley is a much better GM than the one they had in Cleveland when LBJ was still there, but it'd be Cleveland 2.0 again with James surrounded by role players (but better than Cleveland).

Melo, I don't know that he has a loyalty to NY and that he's completely sold there. His wife had a preference of either NY or LA and that may play a factor into his decision making. If his team still doesn't improve in NY, we could also see him leaving as another reason.
charvin

Postby the_Dude on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:12 am

Fly Like A Mosquito Bite wrote:Lebron will stay with the Heat. He's not going to leave. Be realistic.

Melo will want to come to LA. He will be 30 years old. Are you willing to offer a max contract to a 30 year old Melo who has never won anything and has never been considered a real superstar?

In that case, we should save the money and wait for Kevin Love or a shot at Kevin Durant.

Can't stay silent on this one because this post doesn't make much sense. Melo has won plenty in his career. NCAA title, gold medal, multiple playoff births. If one of your biggest issues is that Melo has never won anything and isn't considered a real superstar then why would we turn our attention to Love? Love is a fine talent but he can't even get his team into the playoffs. This is either a major underestimation of Melo or a major overestimation of Love.

If there is a shot at a 30yr old Melo you take it all day. Just a reminder that Lebron is just 1 year younger than Melo. The goal would be to take Melo and show signs of hope and competitiveness and then sign a Love or Durant the next season. Why not go for a potential Pau, Love, Melo, Kobe, (PG) starting lineup. It isn't a one or the other situation we are facing here. Other than the fact that he is the reigning scoring champion, signing Melo elevates the chances of a second star joining us in 2015.
the_Dude

Postby Johnnyboy on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Forget Melo, we need YOUNG talent. Irving/cousins/drummond/lillard/john wall/paul george/bledsoe/tabios harris/greg monroe/derrick favors/tristan thompson.

3 of the listed guys above can be had (maybe not george or cousins) for less than the max...instead of a 2 max deals players.
Johnnyboy

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Max contracts arent what they used to be. And it's even more so if a Player leaves his bird rights for another team. 4 years is not a max deal in my eyes. A max deal would be 7 maybe 6. 4 years for a 30 year old is a good investment if that player is a perennial all star, scoring champion, etc, etc.

Will the Lakers get Lebron AND Melo? No, I dont think both come. But I would bet money one of them does. How the Lakers go from there will depend on what they get in the draft.
OX1947

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:Forget Melo, we need YOUNG talent. Irving/cousins/drummond/lillard/john wall/paul george/bledsoe/tabios harris/greg monroe/derrick favors/tristan thompson.

3 of the listed guys above can be had (maybe not george or cousins) for less than the max...instead of a 2 max deals players.

There is no young talent available in 2014. So, you either tank for 2 years and get high draft picks and wait for the young free agents in 2015 or you go with the sure things 9 months from now and hope you get a good player in the late teens in the draft.
OX1947

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:22 pm

OX1947 wrote:Max contracts arent what they used to be. And it's even more so if a Player leaves his bird rights for another team. 4 years is not a max deal in my eyes. A max deal would be 7 maybe 6. 4 years for a 30 year old is a good investment if that player is a perennial all star, scoring champion, etc, etc.

Will the Lakers get Lebron AND Melo? No, I dont think both come. But I would bet money one of them does. How the Lakers go from there will depend on what they get in the draft.

Obviously the future is very fluid, but I get the feeling that if things break right, both could come here. I think it'd take a TERRIBLE season in Miami and an under-par season for New York. But if Melo signs first and then the Heat are looking like a banged up old horse with some limited potential moves...

I could see both signing here. Especially if Kobe looks like Kobe this season at some point.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:Max contracts arent what they used to be. And it's even more so if a Player leaves his bird rights for another team. 4 years is not a max deal in my eyes. A max deal would be 7 maybe 6. 4 years for a 30 year old is a good investment if that player is a perennial all star, scoring champion, etc, etc.

Obviously the future is very fluid, but I get the feeling that if things break right, both could come here. I think it'd take a TERRIBLE season in Miami and an under-par season for New York. But if Melo signs first and then the Heat are looking like a banged up old horse with some limited potential moves...

I could see both signing here. Especially if Kobe looks like Kobe this season at some point.

No one is praying for both to come more then me. And if both did, MDA might die before the season starts from a heart attack thinking of ways his system could work with Kobe at the 2, Melo at the 3 and Lebron at the 4. At that point, you sign Gasol for the cheap, and get 3 or 4 shooters and you would have MDA in Phoenix on steroids, HGH and every other PED. That team would be nasty good and it I would bet Kobe stays even longer then 3 years.
OX1947

Postby Johnnyboy on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:53 pm

OX1947 wrote:
Johnnyboy wrote:Forget Melo, we need YOUNG talent. Irving/cousins/drummond/lillard/john wall/paul george/bledsoe/tabios harris/greg monroe/derrick favors/tristan thompson.

There is no young talent available in 2014. So, you either tank for 2 years and get high draft picks and wait for the young free agents in 2015 or you go with the sure things 9 months from now and hope you get a good player in the late teens in the draft.

I just named a dozen young talents that will be available in 2014
Johnnyboy

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Okay wait...

Wall and George are all top level talents on their rookie contracts. Next summer they'll be RFAs meaning they AREN'T just available for the taking. Not only can we not offer as much money or as many years as their current team, but that team can just match whatever offer we throw at them anyway and keep them. Not to mention that they're max contract players anyway and will get that from their teams. Maybe not Wall, but they'll match if he gets a max deal.

Kyrie and Cousins are max level talents and will likely get the max (Kyrie will absolutely), but neither of them expire next summer.

Monroe, Bledsoe, and Favors are all very good but not max players... BUT none of them expire this summer. Favors, Bledsoe, and Monroe are RFAs just like Wall and George.

Drummond, Lillard, Tristan Thompson, and Tobias Harris (why him?...) all have a team option and are not free agents until their team waives them (they won't).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:13 pm

OX1947 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

No one is praying for both to come more then me. And if both did, MDA might die before the season starts from a heart attack thinking of ways his system could work with Kobe at the 2, Melo at the 3 and Lebron at the 4. At that point, you sign Gasol for the cheap, and get 3 or 4 shooters and you would have MDA in Phoenix on steroids, HGH and every other PED. That team would be nasty good and it I would bet Kobe stays even longer then 3 years.

I agree with you except I'm not sure D'Antoni would stick around. I think he's a stopgap right now and we just can't see the more permanent fix because he's not out there. But I do think that at some point this season or next summer we announce Phil as a consultant in some capacity to generate buzz and to draw more FAs.

Then like you said, you have those three and Pau and it really wouldn't matter who your starting PG is, that team would be unstoppable.

I don't know how long Kobe sticks around though. He'd be 3rd fiddle soon just because of his health.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:57 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Read this: http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

The type of talent the Lakers need, wont be available in 2014. Restricted Free agents are not players that are available. Their team options will be picked up as well as their qualifying offers. There is no franchise player talent available other the guys like Melo and Lebron and even they have to opt out, which they will. But as far as your list, unless their teams dont want them, they aint going anywhere.
OX1947

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I agree with you except I'm not sure D'Antoni would stick around. I think he's a stopgap right now and we just can't see the more permanent fix because he's not out there. But I do think that at some point this season or next summer we announce Phil as a consultant in some capacity to generate buzz and to draw more FAs.

Then like you said, you have those three and Pau and it really wouldn't matter who your starting PG is, that team would be unstoppable.

I don't know how long Kobe sticks around though. He'd be 3rd fiddle soon just because of his health.

Phil Jckson is not an executive. I dont care what he has done as a coach. Phil's personality does not translate into being a good executive. He is too pompous and over barring. Phil, like MJ, are not gonna go sit in college and high school gyms and scout and do the behind the scenes work that most people do not know GMs and VP types do. You see why Jim Buss sucks as a VP, well, there you go, one in our house who does the same crap. Lakers have Mitch, they do not need anyone else. Lakers need talent on this team. Get the talent and everything will fix itself.
OX1947

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:20 pm

I disagree with a few points in there, but it's for another thread.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Johnnyboy on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:48 pm

OX1947 wrote:
Johnnyboy wrote:
OX1947 wrote:

Read this: http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

The type of talent the Lakers need, wont be available in 2014. Restricted Free agents are not players that are available. Their team options will be picked up as well as their qualifying offers. There is no franchise player talent available other the guys like Melo and Lebron and even they have to opt out, which they will. But as far as your list, unless their teams dont want them, they aint going anywhere.

That's assuming they have the cap space to resign them..Also the lakers don't need a HUGE name. They are rebuilding. Get some good young talent and then go big on a guy like aldridge the following year. People who think the Lakers are gonna be chasing a ring in the next 18 months are crazy.
Johnnyboy

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm

^ cap space has no bearing. They'll have rights and can spend as much as needed (or required to match). The real issue is whether they're willing to go into Lux Tax. Most of those teams won't have to deal with that anyway, and even if they would they'll still have options like trading dead weight (ala GSW moving Biedrins/Jeff) to keep their flexibility. A poison pill might help but the top guys will still get matched because those teams needs them for marketing and potential success. RFA's are a longshot.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm ready to revamp my plan now that Paul George talked about coming here.. Nash for Jennings + 1st from Toronto happens at the deadline. We have Jennings on his 4.5M QO this season, & then noone under contract next season eelly. If Indiana can't make it out of the season & possibly even regresses from last season, losing in the 1st or 2nd round, hopefully he could force his way out.. They aren't going to give a max contract that takes them into the tax for a disgruntled star.. He can force his way here if he wants to.. Get George & 1 of Melo or Bron, then do the same as my other plan.. Find out how much of the remaining space we can get Kobe to settle for, maybe talk Pau into coming back cheap too.. I want Dirk but I'd wait & see if we can sign him for the minimum after we've already built a great great.. The max anyone can offer George next summer is 13.7M since he's been in the league less than 6 years, so we're forming a big 3 & getting 1 of them at a reduced price due to age & then probably getting Kobe to take a paycut. If Jennings, has a good 2nd half of the season for us, I tell him we have Kobe, PG, Melo, Pau.. Stay here for cheap & run your value up with multiple rings, or walk for the money.. Hopefully he's able to give us 16/6 on much improved efficiency & we lock him in around 5M a season. So we have Melo or Lebron 19.1M, George 13.7M, Jennings 5M, Sacre 500k, possibly Kelly at under a mil. 39M or so.. Hopefully Pau & Kobe will split what's remaining, & maybe even leave enough to bring back Jordan Hill. Then we try to use the MLE, other exceptions, & minimum contracts bringing Young, Farmar, Johnson back.. & Hopefully LO is here to attempt to bring back also. Sign cheap C's that can protect the rim like Chris Anderson.

Jennings/Farmar
Kobe/Young
George/Wes
Melo/Dirk? LO?/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Shotblocker/Kaman?

If we only get Paul George & Melo/Lebron stay where they are, I want to offer a deal starting around 6-7M to Larry Sanders & keep the rest of the plan pretty much the same, but I think our chances at getting Dirk increase & he replaces Melo as the starting SF.
lakersin4

Postby charvin on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 pm

I disagree with George being able to force his way here. Neither the Lakers nor George have any leverage whatsoever - no trade assets that would entice Indiana nor any reason why Indiana wouldn't be able to retain George.

If George balked at Indy giving him a max contract, that would set a bad precedent for the future. Also, I'm not sure I would like having a player who thinks he can force his way into any team he wants. Of course, this is all hypothetical and the chances of this happening is highly unlikely, but Indy is almost guaranteed to lock up George to pair with Hibbert for this decade.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Unless for some reason Indiana doesn't offer him a max contract AND doesn't match the one that will almost assuredly be offered...

Paul is in Indiana and will remain there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Center Court on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 am

lakersin4 wrote:I'm ready to revamp my plan now that Paul George talked about coming here.. Nash for Jennings + 1st from Toronto happens at the deadline. We have Jennings on his 4.5M QO this season, & then noone under contract next season eelly. If Indiana can't make it out of the season & possibly even regresses from last season, losing in the 1st or 2nd round, hopefully he could force his way out.. They aren't going to give a max contract that takes them into the tax for a disgruntled star.. He can force his way here if he wants to.. Get George & 1 of Melo or Bron, then do the same as my other plan.. Find out how much of the remaining space we can get Kobe to settle for, maybe talk Pau into coming back cheap too.. I want Dirk but I'd wait & see if we can sign him for the minimum after we've already built a great great.. The max anyone can offer George next summer is 13.7M since he's been in the league less than 6 years, so we're forming a big 3 & getting 1 of them at a reduced price due to age & then probably getting Kobe to take a paycut. If Jennings, has a good 2nd half of the season for us, I tell him we have Kobe, PG, Melo, Pau.. Stay here for cheap & run your value up with multiple rings, or walk for the money.. Hopefully he's able to give us 16/6 on much improved efficiency & we lock him in around 5M a season. So we have Melo or Lebron 19.1M, George 13.7M, Jennings 5M, Sacre 500k, possibly Kelly at under a mil. 39M or so.. Hopefully Pau & Kobe will split what's remaining, & maybe even leave enough to bring back Jordan Hill. Then we try to use the MLE, other exceptions, & minimum contracts bringing Young, Farmar, Johnson back.. & Hopefully LO is here to attempt to bring back also. Sign cheap C's that can protect the rim like Chris Anderson.

Jennings/Farmar
Kobe/Young
George/Wes
Melo/Dirk? LO?/Hill/Kelly
Pau/Shotblocker/Kaman?

If we only get Paul George & Melo/Lebron stay where they are, I want to offer a deal starting around 6-7M to Larry Sanders & keep the rest of the plan pretty much the same, but I think our chances at getting Dirk increase & he replaces Melo as the starting SF.

What are you talking about?

George is not going to be a Laker and neither is Wall. In 2015, Kyrie is not going to be an option.

I think people fail to realize that Lakers plan all along was Dwight was the big piece in the rebuilding plan. Dwight and Melo or LeBron then in 2015 go after Love
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:16 am

Center Court wrote:

George is not going to be a Laker and neither is Wall. In 2015, Kyrie is not going to be an option.

I think people fail to realize that Lakers plan all along was Dwight was the big piece in the rebuilding plan. Dwight and Melo or LeBron then in 2015 go after Love

No their plan was Chris Paul being the big piece in the rebuilding plan. Then Howard. Then Melo or LeBron in 2014.

Now that's all out the window so it's Plan C which is go get Melo and LeBron if possible. Everyone else after that. Probably build contracts that allow them to get Love or Rondo in 2015.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:16 am

People needs to realize the George , Irving , Lillard of this world will be RFA at best ...

Contracts terms don't change just because we are the Lakers :man10:

" Big names"

Summer 2014 :

Melo, Lebron, Wade , Bosh , all can opt out

Summer 2015 :

Rondo , LMA are probably going to be FA

Summer 2016 :

KD pending OKC performance the next 3 seasons may be FA , Kevin Love is probably going to be FA , if not traded before.

Put the pipe down for all the "upcoming' stars unless they don't want their team to match and force their way to the Lakers ... an attempt which wouldn't be a guaranteed success anyways
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 am

Center Court wrote:

This is what I'm talking about

Paul George Discusses Upcoming Free Agency and the Lakers

Everyone is already talking about next summer when the Los Angeles Lakers have ample cap room to possibly sign two superstars.

One free agent that will heavily be mentioned is current Pacer and Southern California native, Paul George. Although he is a restricted free agent and it’ll highly likely that the Pacers will match any offers, George remains a free agent target for the Lakers.

George is currently working out in Los Angeles and spent some time with Colin Howard on ESPN 710AM to discuss his upcoming free agency and the possibilities of joining the Lakers:

“Well, I’m still in Indiana. Just trying to bypass all the rumors and all the media trying to blow up stuff. My heart is still in Indiana. I’m still a Pacer and hopefully I’ll remain a Pacer.”

When asked if it would be difficult saying “no” to Kobe Bryant, George discussed how Los Angeles would be an ideal situation because of his family and growing up in California:

“Of course it’d be tough. You’re talking about playing at home, playing in LA where your family — that’s what your family grew up on. It’d be big as far as it being the family favorite team. But again, it’s about me and my career. I think where I’m at will do the job for me.”

Despite acknowledging that joining the Lakers would be ideal, it appears that George is comfortable with the Pacers. He believes the team has enough to compete for championships and his first priority is to remain with the Pacers.

Although it sounds like George will remain with the Pacers, a lot can change from now to next summer. Regardless of what happens, the Lakers will still pursue him and hope he can be the future franchise player after Kobe Bryant decides to retire.

This past season, Paul George was named the Most Improved Player and averaged 19.2 points, 7.4 rebounds, and 5.1 rebounds.

He idolizes Kobe.. He's always wanted to be a Laker.. If Indiana fails to make it out of the East again, he could easily force his way out.. Indiana probably isn't willing to pay taxes, so he's probably either going to have to leave or stay there while they dump other players to stay under the tax.. I wouldn't be shocked if he said "don't match the Lakers offer, I don't want to come back & will do anything to force a trade".. they'll let him walk before they pay the luxury tax for a star that doesn't want to be there. Stranger things have happened.. I think it has as good a chance of happening as us signing Lebron.. Which are 0 if the Heat win again this season. The Heat winning helps our chances with Melo & PG, as they have to see Kobe & the Lakers as their best shot to beat Lebron. I think our chances at Melo are the best of the 3. Hopefully we get Melo right out of the gates in free agency, & Kobe makes that call or txt to PG asking him how he's going to beat Lebron in Indiana.. & that triggers George to force his way here. It's extremely pipe but we're winning a ring next season even if we just get 1 of the 3.
lakersin4

Postby Ludachris on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 am

I thought I read something about Indiana having someone that could possibly make George expendable, not to mention him signing a big contract might put them close to paying luxury taxes. At least that's what I read around playoff time... who knows, that was probably just wild speculation. I can't remember who they might have been referring to. Or maybe that was George making Granger expendable.

On the bright side, maybe he doesn't take a new contract next summer and becomes an UFA the following season? They'd most likely match any offer next summer. I'd love to see the Lakers pick up someone like him.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby Johnnyboy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Phil XI wrote:^ cap space has no bearing. They'll have rights and can spend as much as needed (or required to match). The real issue is whether they're willing to go into Lux Tax. Most of those teams won't have to deal with that anyway, and even if they would they'll still have options like trading dead weight (ala GSW moving Biedrins/Jeff) to keep their flexibility. A poison pill might help but the top guys will still get matched because those teams needs them for marketing and potential success. RFA's are a longshot.

Thats what I meant by cap space. Many teams aren't built for the new tax burden
Johnnyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion