What type of big man should Lakers target for the future?

Re: What type of big man should Lakers target for the future?

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:46 pm

This is uncomfortable, like watching your best friend's Mom and Dad fight at the dinner table when invited to a sleep-over.

:scurred: :man10:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Punk-101 wrote:This is uncomfortable, like watching your best friend's Mom and Dad fight at the dinner table when invited to a sleep-over.

:scurred: :man10:

twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 pm

trodgers wrote: I'll happily offer you the full debunking of your claims to have identified market value if you'd like it.

Well, seeing as how I have already asked you twice...I'll let you figure out what I would like you to do (YES BTW). Also, after all of your talk about expecting scrutiny and only posting if you feel confident (etc.) you are now kind of compelled, by your own argument" to show your work in this instance.

trodgers wrote: You seem quite offended and unable to suppose that I have anything but the worst of motives in interacting with you. I'm happy to stop responding to you if it bothers you.

No, I can take it...no problem. Fire away! Honestly, if that's what you want to do, then go for it. I am just going to point it out whenever you do it, especially if your choice to do so constitutes a weak argument, or is an attempt to dissuade outside observers from an objective analysis of our debate. That's my prerogative.

Since all communication contains strong contextual clues about the thoughts and motivations of the individual communicating it, you can probably figure out where my perceptions of your motivations originated. Also, your response is not representative of a person dispelling false perceptions...more so like a person put off by (and getting defensive over) the exposure of attributes that you would prefer remain hidden under the surface. Just an observation.

trodgers wrote:if you want to continue with what I thought we were trying to do - discuss good big man options - then I'm all for it.

Same here. I never said anything about stopping the conversation or wanting it to end.

trodgers wrote: If you think I've personally attacked you (and your post makes it pellucid that you do), then please flag my posts and ask that they be reviewed.

I don't work that way. I don't believe in censorship (not saying you do either)...even if it is of something that is upsetting or offensive...though in this case it is more irritating or humorous than anything else.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby kobe_008 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 pm

I'd like to get anthiny davis
kobe_008

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:12 am

I don't see New Orleans letting go of Davis anytime soon. And I don't see what we have to trade with them that they'd want.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:25 am

We aren't going to be getting any rookie that is coming off their rookie deal. They are RFA, not turning down 80-90 million dollars and their team isn't going to let them go. The new CBA is set up for that.

Those guys are 5-6 years away from even sniffing a Lakers jersey. Drafting your own has become very important now.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 am

On top of what Doc said, I can't see why Davis would even want to be here. New Orleans has a nice young lineup with Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Morrow, Anderson, etc. They're on their way up, meanwhile we're on the downswing.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 am

by Punk-101 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm

"This is uncomfortable, like watching your best friend's Mom and Dad fight at the dinner table when invited to a sleep-over. "

therealdeal wrote:Image

:man10: :man10: Both :bow: :bow: That gif is hilarious!!!!
LTLakerFan

Postby Armani on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Just get a defensive minded, great rebounding big. Joakim Noah-like. Kevin Durant or Kevin Love will be Lakers to make up for the offense. :jam2:
Armani

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We aren't going to be getting any rookie that is coming off their rookie deal. They are RFA, not turning down 80-90 million dollars and their team isn't going to let them go. The new CBA is set up for that.

Those guys are 5-6 years away from even sniffing a Lakers jersey. Drafting your own has become very important now.

We can get them we just can't get max players.. We have to aim for the guys that won't get max money (Sanders, Favors, Monroe etc.) & either do what Morey did with the Asik & Lin contracts & make it impossible to match or just overpay in general.. I think the only restricted big that will get the Max that could cause a big enough headache for them to let him walk in S&T is Cousins. I'd love to see Favors or Sanders next to Pau. If Pau sticks around & goes back to being the undisputed #1 option in the post, putting an athletic young defensive stud next to him is going to be really important.
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:20 pm

One of the big men the Lakers should go after in the future If Lebron and or Melo don't come:

Greg Monroe.

I know he's a restricted free agent next summer but the pistons don't want to trade or get rid of Andre Drummond and they already have Josh Smith so he might be available. I really like his skill set, he's a big that can pass the ball real well has a 10 to 12 foot jump shot and he's pretty versatile
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:06 am

Monroe is a solid player, but he shouldn't be above Love and Aldridge on our target list.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:43 am

lakersin4 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:We aren't going to be getting any rookie that is coming off their rookie deal. They are RFA, not turning down 80-90 million dollars and their team isn't going to let them go. The new CBA is set up for that.

either do what Morey did with the Asik & Lin contracts or just overpay in general

Thank God Mitch is making the decisions.

1.) Houston had to dump everybody on their team to get D12, because they overpaid for Lin and Asik. They almost missed getting D12 because they paid these guys just to make moves.

2.) Overpay and get stuck with Larry Sanders or some non-max guy that isn't a legit #1 or #2 option? At a ridiculous price? No. Just no.

3.) I'd rather keep the room and go after actual #1 or #2 options in 2015 when they are UFA. We won't be overpaying and we will be getting the bang for our buck.

Detroit - 23 million in guaranteed's next season
Milwaukee - 24 million in guaranteed's next season
Utah - 5 million in guaranteed's next season

They can easily match what we throw at them. Or we severely overpay, which would be incredibly stupid on our part.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby live and die in LA on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:18 pm

The only realistic free agent options for next year:

Chris Bosh (opt out)
Zach Randolph (opt out)
Amare Stoudemire (opt out)
Andrew Bogut
Marcin Gortat
Spencer Hawes

Forget about guys like Cousins, Drummond, Vucevic, and Kanter. They are restricted free agents, young, and extremely cheap. They will match anything we offer, don't forget how teams overpay Centers. There isn't a team in the league dumb enough to let them leave unless there is a significant turnaround in a sign and trade. Who do the Lakers have to trade next offseason? Steve Nash and Robert Sacre?

It might have to be through the draft, and the 2014 draft doesn't look to be bigman heavy. There is two project type Centers to keep an eye on though:

Willie Cauley-Stein Kentucky Sophmore. Calipari found this 7 footer at a highschool football game playing wide reciever. Extremely raw but extremely long and athletic.

Joel Embiid Kansas Freshman. From Cameroon, he has only been playing basketball since 2011. Another 7 footer with tons of length and athleticism. Needs to get stronger.

Knowing Jim and Mitch's history with selecting Bynum, don't be surprised when they go with another "project" big man.
live and die in LA

Postby Armani on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 pm

My main fear with an FA plan is we end up like the Mavs... and end up signing subpar players like Monta Ellis to multi year deals. Kevin Love seems to be the only dissatisfied potential FA at the moment. Kyrie, George, etc. will be re-signing with their teams.
Armani

Postby Armani on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 pm

My main fear with an FA plan is we end up like the Mavs... and end up signing subpar players like Monta Ellis to multi year deals. Kevin Love seems to be the only dissatisfied potential FA at the moment. Kyrie, George, etc. will be re-signing with their teams.
Armani

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:13 pm

^i have the same worry about 2014-15. It's rare to bring a big-time FA here. Shaq was wooed by Jerry West. Mitch traded for Gasol and Dwight. Remember that Dwight walked away from more money, but most players wouldn't, and their current team will be able to offer them more.

I have some faith in the current FO, but it's not going to be easy.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Tough road ahead, agreed. Free agency has changed because of the new CBA. It's actually EASIER for smaller market teams to keep their stars now, because of offering more money than anyone else. The combination of that, and the smaller, shorter length max deals makes it less likely that a free agent will leave money on the table to go to a bigger market or a more competitive team...unless that player either A. Is a franchise pillar level player, or B. THINKS he is a franchise pillar level player, or C. Just absolutely CAN'T STAND where he is and is willing to lose money to relocate.

While it will be rough over the next few years trying to navigate the tumultuous seas of star hunting versus overcompensating for lesser talent as a mea culpa to a disappointed fan base when those stars stay put or spurn our team...I have the faith in Mitch Kupchak and the Lakers organization (as well as the appeal of LA and the team's history and legacy) that as long as we are prudent and patient, things will work out well.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Bilbao-LakerMagic on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, I love Roy Hibbert (great size and good skills) but...

It's a pity to lose Dwight Howard for nothing. But we have to work with that fact. As we had to do with Chris Paul... still painful.

Greg Monroe is a very young player, a good player, strong, he can rebound and he can develop with the years. Maybe not a dominat player, but as Detroit has Monroe and Drummond, I asume that they would only be able to retain one of them. I like Monroe with DeMarcus Cousins (for example), who could be a great power forward close to Monroe.

I love the Indiana tandem/duo: Paul George and Roy Hibbert.

Go Lakers !!
Bilbao-LakerMagic

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Greg Monroe

- 5.5 million QO
- Detroit has 23 million in guaranteed deals next season
- They will match pretty much any offer for him, 16/10/4 Center at 23 years old with a wealth of upside, they aren't just going to get outbid on that.
- If they can't keep him they will trade him.

They don't owe Drummond a new deal until 2016-2017 and have him at 3 million a year until then. As a GM would you break up Drummond/Monroe? Neither would I. And for 7 million this year and ~20 million a year (Given Monroe's new deal) until 2016-2017 to have both of them, that is a very ideal situation for them.
Doc Brown

Postby kenzo on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Damn, Doc = dream killer. The nearest future doesn't look as bright as some are wishing/saying.
kenzo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 pm

live and die in LA wrote:The only realistic free agent options for next year:

Chris Bosh (opt out)
Zach Randolph (opt out)
Amare Stoudemire (opt out)
Andrew Bogut
Marcin Gortat
Spencer Hawes

Forget about guys like Cousins, Drummond, Vucevic, and Kanter. They are restricted free agents, young, and extremely cheap. They will match anything we offer, don't forget how teams overpay Centers. There isn't a team in the league dumb enough to let them leave unless there is a significant turnaround in a sign and trade. Who do the Lakers have to trade next offseason? Steve Nash and Robert Sacre?

It might have to be through the draft, and the 2014 draft doesn't look to be bigman heavy. There is two project type Centers to keep an eye on though:

Willie Cauley-Stein Kentucky Sophmore. Calipari found this 7 footer at a highschool football game playing wide reciever. Extremely raw but extremely long and athletic.

Joel Embiid Kansas Freshman. From Cameroon, he has only been playing basketball since 2011. Another 7 footer with tons of length and athleticism. Needs to get stronger.

Knowing Jim and Mitch's history with selecting Bynum, don't be surprised when they go with another "project" big man.

I agree with the bolded. We are not going to find our next big man through free agency or a trade, IMO. We're going to draft one next year that fits our system. I was looking at a mock draft, and I seen at least 3-4 big men that could at least go within the top 15. I might be mistaken, though. I don't think it's going to be that difficult to find one in this draft as deep as it is right now. A long, athletic, defensive-minded center that isn't a liability on offense should be our target. A Tyson Chandler with more offensive game if you will is what I would ideally want...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Man.. Doc is killing me in every thread.. You have me ready to just log out & stop posting haha. My hope is that we don't overpay for a guy like Sanders or Favors & get stuck in mediocrity from overpaying, but rather to sign Melo & then add a guy like Favors or Sanders to anchor the defense even if we have to pay a premium to get their team not to match.. If we can get Melo I think you can talk Kobe & Pau into massive paycuts & have enough space left to attempt to add 1 of those young bigs to compliment a core of Kobe/Melo/Pau/Nash?..
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:30 pm

kenzo wrote:Damn, Doc = dream killer. The nearest future doesn't look as bright as some are wishing/saying.

He just gets the basics of the CBA ... but I wouldn't be surprised to see another " I hope we get Irving and George" post within the next couple of days
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion