What type of big man should Lakers target for the future?

Re: What type of big man should Lakers target for the future?

Postby charvin on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:36 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
kenzo wrote:Damn, Doc = dream killer. The nearest future doesn't look as bright as some are wishing/saying.

He just gets the basics of the CBA ... but I wouldn't be surprised to see another " I hope we get Irving and George" post within the next couple of days

How about a "We want Lillard" :man1:
charvin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm

The way the new CBA makes it hard to steal a star away from another team, we're stuck with drafting someone. Lakers need to trade a Nash or Pau for a high draft pick.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby noobiew on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:50 pm

Jahlil Okafor, who projected to be the 1st overall rookie draft pick in 2015, someone called him the most skilled high school center ever in the past 20 years

NBA Exec: Jahlil Okafor Most Skilled High School Center In 20 Years

Jahlil Okafor has been called the most skilled high school center ever scouted by a well-regarded NBA executive with over 20 years of experience.

Okafor is 6'11, 270 pounds out of Chicago's Whitney Young.

Okafor averaged 21 points and nine rebounds during his junior season while finishing second to Jabari Parker for Mr. Basketball of Illinois.

Okafor is considering Arizona, Baylor, Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Ohio State.

Okafor averaged 10.8 points on 77.2 percent shooting from the floor and 4.8 rebounds over nine games in the 2013 U-19 World Championships.

Eh better than a high school rookie Shaq ?

A potential future franchise great center destined to be a laker bound ?

Andrew Wiggins and Jahlil Okafor :man1:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 am

lakersin4 wrote:Man.. Doc is killing me in every thread.. You have me ready to just log out & stop posting haha. My hope is that we don't overpay for a guy like Sanders or Favors & get stuck in mediocrity from overpaying, but rather to sign Melo & then add a guy like Favors or Sanders to anchor the defense even if we have to pay a premium to get their team not to match.. If we can get Melo I think you can talk Kobe & Pau into massive paycuts & have enough space left to attempt to add 1 of those young bigs to compliment a core of Kobe/Melo/Pau/Nash?..

Sanders....

Sanders' future with Bucks
July, 29, 2013
JUL 29
7:57
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND3TWEET0COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
Milwaukee appears to be a location where NBA players prefer to stay away from unless the Bucks overpay for their services. That opinion is not shared by center Larry Sanders who prefers to stay with the Milwaukee Bucks for the long-term.

“I definitely can spend my career there,” Sanders told RealGM.com. “Milwaukee adopted me when I got drafted and the people there took me in and showed me nothing but love and support whether I played or not. It’s awesome now to give that back to them, give them something to watch and entertainment.”

Sanders is one of the best post-defenders in the NBA and his play earned him an invite to the USA Basketball min-camp last week. Sanders is entering the fourth-year of his rookie-scale contact and he's eligible to sign an extension up to the Oct. 31 deadline. Both sides are a really good fit and a new four-year deal will likely get done by the end of October.
Tags:Milwaukee Bucks, Larry Sanders

Favors...

Utah has 5 million in guaranteed deals next year. They cleared out Millsap and Jefferson because they have Favors and Kanter. They are going to pay him very nicely. The writing is on the wall for Kanter/Favors and the Jazz. They are the bigs for the Jazz until they get to be UFA.

You don't take into account the other side of the fence in respect to what opposing GM's are doing with their team. The Jazz have Burke/Hayward/Kanter/Favors as their young core going forward, with this new CBA they aren't going to break that up and they shouldn't considering they have a crap ton of cap room going forward.

They are going to pay Hayward/Favors after this season and Kanter the following season. And they will have cap room on top of that.

What rookie coming off their rookie scale contract has passed up the extension? The CBA is made for teams to keep young players. The Lakers aren't above that and if they want young talent, they need to start drafting it or building up assets to entice a team to give them up.

The Lakers gave up their draft picks for a 40 year old player, Ramon Sessions, one year of Dwight Howard and dumping Fisher and Sasha. Now they will be shopping at premium price in UFA, instead of paying next to nothing for talent.

They can still come out with a haul in the upcoming years, but as far as getting young RFA talent for years to come, they've passed on that.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:51 am

Sanders' expected new deal
August, 8, 2013
AUG 8
9:07
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
John Wall was the first player from the 2010 draft class to sign an extension when he got a max five-year deal from the Washington Wizards. The next player to land an extension could be Milwaukee Bucks starting center Larry Sanders, reports ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Stein writes: " ... sources told ESPN.com this week that negotiations on a new deal for one of Milwaukee's new cornerstones have already reached the final stages."

Stein reports Sanders' extension is expected to exceed $10 million annually. He was the NBA's No. 2 shot-blocker last season and finished seventh for the NBA Defensive Player of the Year award.
Tags:Milwaukee Bucks, Larry Sanders
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:02 am

@WojYahooNBA: Y! Sources: Milwaukee nearing completion of a 4-year, $44 million-plus extension with center Larry Sanders. http://t.co/8LQqDeOUMQ
Doc Brown

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:08 am

Overpaying bigs
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Johnnyboy on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Andre drummond will be one of the best centers in the NBA in the next 5 years.
Johnnyboy

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Demarcus Cousins. Young (22), talented, and plays with a nasty streak. He's a bit of a knucklehead, but at least he's a tough SOB.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby revgen on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:53 pm

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:Demarcus Cousins. Young (22), talented, and plays with a nasty streak. He's a bit of a knucklehead, but at least he's a tough SOB.

No.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 am

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:Demarcus Cousins. Young (22), talented, and plays with a nasty streak. He's a bit of a knucklehead, but at least he's a tough SOB.

Absolutely.. If he could put it all together upstairs, he has the potential to be extremely dominant on the offensive side.. & He's enough of a knucklehead that Sac might just let him go in S&T.
lakersin4

Postby Johnnyboy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:42 pm

lakersin4 wrote:

Absolutely.. If he could put it all together upstairs, he has the potential to be extremely dominant on the offensive side.. & He's enough of a knucklehead that Sac might just let him go in S&T.

From everything I've read it looks like the new ownership in Sac want to build around him.
Johnnyboy

Postby Center Court on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

From everything I've read it looks like the new ownership in Sac want to build around him.

somewhat true. They are desperate to build around a star and Cousins has all the ABILITY to be that guy. But from my perspective, they are also at wits end in waiting and hoping he develops into a man and franchise player. Apparently, they were also very let down by what they saw at USA camp.

Sacramento is the worst place for him right now. Anywhere else would be better. They've got no strong leadership presence on the bench or in the huddle, no allure to become the city fan favorite, no goals to reach, no accountability, and most of all, no structure.

LA is the perfect place for him. The franchise demands greatness and I think that will help give him something to strive for. He's also got Kobe/Pau/Nash to learn from. If he can be had next season, I'd go max for him. I think he's legit capable of becoming the best NBA center.
Center Court

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Athletic swatter in the mold of a Tyson Chandler or Larry Sanders I like, but of course, if you want a Bynum clone with a good personality or a Hibbert clone, those would be good too. Athletic swatters always come in the draft though, like Sanders and Brandan Wright, but the Lakers always seem to sell their high end draft picks.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Center Court wrote:
Johnnyboy wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

somewhat true. They are desperate to build around a star and Cousins has all the ABILITY to be that guy. But from my perspective, they are also at wits end in waiting and hoping he develops into a man and franchise player. Apparently, they were also very let down by what they saw at USA camp.

Sacramento is the worst place for him right now. Anywhere else would be better. They've got no strong leadership presence on the bench or in the huddle, no allure to become the city fan favorite, no goals to reach, no accountability, and most of all, no structure.

LA is the perfect place for him. The franchise demands greatness and I think that will help give him something to strive for. He's also got Kobe/Pau/Nash to learn from. If he can be had next season, I'd go max for him. I think he's legit capable of becoming the best NBA center.
Last edited by CarolinaLakerFan on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Center Court wrote:
Johnnyboy wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

I think playing for Sactown is just a bad fit for him. That franchise is going nowhere and he knows it, thus the frustration. He's not in Shaq's league, but he's the closest thing to it in the NBA right now. The kid is downright mean. I like that alot. Plus, he has a offensive skillset that Dwight could never dream of having. He's nearly unguardable. He should be priority #1
CarolinaLakerFan

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion