What was wrong with Shaq in game 4???????

What was wrong with Shaq in game 4???????

Postby shaqass on Mon May 12, 2003 12:00 am

I don't understand the way Shaq played during game 4. Don't get me wrong, 29pt (FT 17/23 :bow: ), 17R, 5A, 4B are good and standart for him, but beyond the stats I didn't see Shaq. I had the feeling he had to be injured or sick. He didn't attack the rim even when he was one on one against Rose, he did no spin move and seldom low post move.

Don't understand :man3:
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 12, 2003 1:12 am

Nah I dont think Shaq is sick...He's just trying to not get the offensive foul... Everytime he spin moves, I guess he leads with his off hand, and he hooks his defender, so that's why he's prolly not doing that all that much... He really didn't do anything in the 1st, but how could he when he wasn't gettin the touches needed... He wasn't gettin the ball that much...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Mon May 12, 2003 1:26 am

I agree with you, Shaq just doesn't seem like himself this playoffs thus far..but as LakersGryl2003 said he isn't getting nearly enough touches
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Postby shaqass on Mon May 12, 2003 1:40 am

I don't think his fear of the fault trouble was the only reason of his "strange" play. He even said before that he would never change his way to play, even if he had to get 6 offensive a game. At one time he was low post against Rose, on one on one and he kicked the ball out. That is not Shaq's game. If you take him one on one he is going to make you regret it because that's a clear provocation. Not yesterday. I don't try to say he played bad. He just played with less power than usual.
shaqass

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 12, 2003 9:40 am

That is a deliberate plan by Phil. As you can see, he can more efficiently and quietly get more stats and make more of a difference if he stays away from the power game and plays the team game. HE was as aggressive as I have ever seen in the first two games and we lost both. He was there tonight for much of the game and has played less power and more finesse and we have won both...I say don't mess with success. If we make it to the next round, he won't have to face the two best "other" 7 foot defenders in the league anymore, then he can return to the more aggressive style that we are used to in the playoffs.
Snakell Beast

Postby Reddy on Mon May 12, 2003 1:53 pm

yeah!
its just started 4 dah big fella! :bow:
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon May 12, 2003 3:57 pm

Great point.... Shaq can still dominate even if he's silent about it all.... Then the silence will sneak up on SA, and attack when they least expect it!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby shaqass on Tue May 13, 2003 12:51 am

Snakell Beast wrote:That is a deliberate plan by Phil. As you can see, he can more efficiently and quietly get more stats and make more of a difference if he stays away from the power game and plays the team game. HE was as aggressive as I have ever seen in the first two games and we lost both. He was there tonight for much of the game and has played less power and more finesse and we have won both...I say don't mess with success. If we make it to the next round, he won't have to face the two best "other" 7 foot defenders in the league anymore, then he can return to the more aggressive style that we are used to in the playoffs.

Yes but Phil's plan works only if Shaq makes 17/23 FT.... I am not sure it will happen every game!
shaqass

Postby shaqass on Tue May 13, 2003 11:56 pm

Phil statement after game 5:

Although Shaquille O'Neal had the three-point play that got Los Angeles within one with 19.7 seconds left, he finished with only 20 points and 12 rebounds.

His play was sluggish, and he wasn't on court for the first half of the fourth quarter. Jackson said the comeback might not have started if he had been.

"We needed active defense and we needed aggressive play out there. Shaquille was not active tonight -- he didn't move well defensively, he didn't get back on defense,'' Jackson said. "It hurt us a little bit.''

one more time, what happen with Shaq? Don't tell me he just tried to stay out of fault trouble!

We have a great chance to win the next two games, but for that Shaq has to be Shaq again. WE ARE ALL WITH YOU SHAQ, MAKE IT FOR CHICK, MAKE IT FOR HISTORY :jam2:
shaqass

Postby GoldenEye on Wed May 14, 2003 12:53 am

If Shaq doesn't wake up :bang: we are in deep trouble :mad1:

GO Shaq, GO LAKERS ...

As I said from the beginning, LA IN 7
Last edited by GoldenEye on Wed May 14, 2003 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenEye

Postby shaqass on Wed May 14, 2003 5:37 am

From LA Times:

They have reached the same crossroads, in part, it seems, because O'Neal was unable to play his usual game. He has worn a sleeve on his left knee sporadically in the playoffs. It is the same knee with tendinitis that caused him to miss three mid-season games, and the Lakers have rarely had more than a day between games since the onset of the postseason.

"It was probably bothering him some tonight," Bryant said.

That could be a clue...
shaqass

Return to Lakers Discussion