[POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

Re: [POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 am

^^^What does any of that have to do with the outlook on the season compared to other teams. That's just your opinion on what we should do in the future.

That has nothing to do with what Real's post was about.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 am

Doc Brown wrote:^^^What does any of that have to do with the outlook on the season compared to other teams. That's just your opinion on what we should do in the future.

That has nothing to do with what Real's post was about.

No Im saying if we need to get a high draft pick we have to tank for 2013/2014 I think we should be back on the competitive track after that once we have the horses we need to compete. Once you have a guy here with some serious potential then all the superstars/allstars/good role players will flock here like they've been to Miami and LAC
Last edited by The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am

[quote="The Rock"]
It's one year... In this one year we will either do okay or we will suck. That's all we were ever going to do this season as long as Kobe, Gasol ,and Nash are on the team. You're living in a fantasy world if you think there's any chance the team would tank.

Doc and I have already shown you that there's at least 8 other teams that will tank more effectively and probably 3-4 more that will be bad just because they have no way to be good. We weren't getting a top pick. It wasn't happening.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 am

This is what we're trying to cash in on. Its not just Wiggins its the next 5-6 dudes after that. Not saying scouts are right these are forsures but Class of 2014 has been getting hyped for 2-3years now

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9432048/andrew-wiggins-leads-strong-2014-draft-class-nba-draft
The 2014 draft, on the other hand, is stacked at the top thanks to a few top returning underclassmen and a phenomenal freshman class. Several NBA scouts and GMs said our 2014 Top 100 draft prospect list may be the strongest ever. Wiggins is the consensus No. 1 prospect in our Top 100 after talking with numerous NBA scouts and executives. He is one of the most hyped prospects ever to come out of high school and draws comparisons to a young Tracy McGrady. Wiggins received the top vote from every scout and GM I spoke with.

Wiggins is an elite athlete who does just about everything well. He has great size for his position on the wing, is an explosive leaper and can score from beyond the arc and off the bounce. While there are times when he appears to be a bit disengaged, his talent -- both physically and from a skills perspective -- is off the charts.

While Wiggins is the current king of the 2014 class, he'll have his hands full fending off contenders to the throne. Overall, scouts believe that there could be multiple franchise players and as many as eight NBA All-Stars in this group. That's a big-time draft.

Heck we may even land in the top 7-8 and not land an all star but that illusion of one can be a huge selling point. This is the new age of superstars where they buy the media stories, hype, excitement ahem *like Dwight*

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 am

BTW, I'm quite open to moving the Lakers ahead of the Jazz and the Pelicans, but probably that's the line. I don't like the Blazers a ton either, but I think their core should stay more upright than the Lakers', and that's a big part of the reason they're ahead.

I totally get the complaints about me ranking the Jazz ahead of the Lakers--but I've always been a fan of their young cluster, and personally I think losing Al Jefferson will help them a ton. He's just an awful defender and has a history of losing. I'm not super excited about Kanter, because he's largely an (albeit excellent) finisher at this point and good post defender, with not much else, but still, he's young and can grow into his role. The real gems on that team are Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward, in that order. But who knows how they will play in a feature role, where the go-to guy, and with little depth and an overrated coach they could really falter.

The Pelicans are one of the more overrated teams. Have to be a bit delusional if they're thinking 9th seed. They have no depth and no interior defense, and their better players all have a history of injuries at a young age. Again, if the Lakers are more healthy than the Pelicans are, it's an obvious switcheroo.

So yeah, I could be convinced if the Lakers are 11th. It's obviously a dynamic situation that depends on what happens...
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 pm

A 9th pick in the draft will mean almost nothing to a superstar signing here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

not being a homer or being over optimistic but i think we'll be better than 13

we still have Kobe coming back and there's a bunch of teams tanking

it'll be a tough season and my expectations aren't much but we'll be better than the 13th teams in the west...i have us modestly tied at #2 with the Warriors behind the Spurs
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I guarantee we'll finish higher than 13th. That much is certain.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 pm

13th out of 15?????

Sounds about right.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:37 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:not being a homer or being over optimistic but i think we'll be better than 13

it'll be a tough season and my expectations aren't much but we'll be better than the 13th teams in the west...i have us modestly tied at #2 with the Warriors behind the Spurs

Wait, you're not overly optimistic, yet you have us at #2?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:50 pm

dj vitus wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:not being a homer or being over optimistic but i think we'll be better than 13

Wait, you're not overly optimistic, yet you have us at #2?

yea...we still have to fill up the 3 spot..im not planning the parade yet...we still have work to do
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Phil XI on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:07 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:So currently, I kind of have the Lakers in 13th place out of the 15 West teams.

1) San Antonio
2) LA Clippers
3) Houston
4) Oklahoma City
5) Golden State
6) Memphis
7) Denver
8) Dallas
9) Minnesota
10) Portland
11) Utah
12) New Orleans
13) LA Lakers
14) Sacramento
15) Phoenix

1) Memphis
2) Oklahoma City
3) Golden St
4) Clippers
5) San Antonio
6) Lakers
7) Houston
8) Denver
9) Dallas
10) New Orleans
11) Portland
12) Minnesota
13) Sacramento
14) Utah
15) Phoenix

Mem d Den
Okl d Hou
Lak d Gsw
San d Clip

Mem d San
Lak d Okl

Lak d Mem

Lak d Nyk (1970/3 revenge!)
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Our highest seed possible I see is 6 that's only because of health concerns with Kobe, our lowest is 8th we WILL make the playoffs no question. Lost Dwight/Jamison/Clark but gained Kaman/Young/Johnson/Farmar which already makes our roster deeper than last year & we're not done yet...13th? PPFFFTTT Give me a break :man10:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby noobiew on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:08 am

One thing for sure I can guaranteed that we will finished the season above Jazz, Pelicans, Kings and Suns, these 4 teams have no hope and are lottery bound, so for the worst case scenario the Lakers will finished 11th out of 15th.

I also think that Minny will be the dark horse in the west, just look at their young and potential roster :-

C - Nikola Pekovic
PF - Kevin Love / Derrick Williams
SF - Chase Budinger / Shabazz Muhammad
SG - Kevin Martin / Alexey Shved
PG - Ricky Rubio / Jose Barea

So if Minny starting lineup stayed relatively healthy all season then I think they will get the 7th seed just behind OKC, Houston, LAC, SAS, GSW and Memphis.

We will fight with Portland, Dallas and Denver for the last 8th playoffs place lol. :man5:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Ludachris on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 am

Tough to argue with that logic. Good solid analysis. I think the one thing that we might be overlooking, which could possibly be more important than some of the "what ifs" listed above, is the one thing we never had last season except for in small spurts - cohesion and chemistry, on both ends of the floor. I don't think this team was playing together for more than 1/4 of the season combined, and they still managed to make the playoffs. If there is a "what if" out there, that is going to be the biggest one. And I think we have that in our favor this coming season with Howard gone. That drama being behind us will likely help this team more than everything else going right.

Chemistry and cohesion won't make up for pure talent of course, and injuries could wipe us out easily, but hey, here's hoping we stay healthy and reach our full potential with this experiment! I think it's shaping up to be a decent team so far, with a better bench and quicker young players. We'll see if that's enough to surprise other teams, the critics, and maybe even the fans.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby lakersfever on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 am

You guys are acting like one high draft pick will save the Lakers franchise from oblivion. They should have amnestied Kobe when they had the chance. Now they're stuck with a player who doesn't want to rebuild while they're attempting to rebuild. We're just seeing the beginning of a very long and painful process of rebuilding. I'm not banking much hope of landing a marquee FA next year either.

The Lakers need to tank not one but at least two or three seasons to accumulate draft picks again. Then hope for another Kobe from the draft. They should map out a 5-year plan of becoming a contender again.
lakersfever

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:12 am

^^^ We don't have our 2015 1st rounder anymore. We don't have our 2017 1st rounder anymore. We are supposed to tank for the next 4 years and get two lottery picks out of it?

Not happening.

Not even going to get into the Kobe amnesty part.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:

And tanking guarantees you the 1st pick? Ask the Bobcats how that worked out for them.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby FeelGoodUnInc on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 am

Good points, but I still don't see us falling down to 13/15, no way. I see us making the playoffs, #6 - #8
FeelGoodUnInc

Postby lakerskobe247 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 pm

IF everything goes right for the Lakers and pieces fall in the right places, I can see the Lakers finishing in the top 4. That is, if Kobe can return to his level of play last year, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol can play like semblances of their prime days, and the Lakers as a whole can stay at least relatively healthy. If that happens, the Lakers can find an identity and the chemistry can click especially without Dwight.

With Dwight gone, the Lakers lose some talent but they gain much needed team chemistry and bonding lacking from last year. Talent alone doesn't win you championships, and whatever little offensive game and half-assed defense Dwight might've brought last year, he completely negated it with his piss poor attitude and drama and that brought the team down as a whole. With him gone I feel the Lakers can finally grow as a team, find their identity, and build team chemistry.

Afterall, the 2007-08 Lakers squad consisting of Fisher, Kobe, Walton, Odom, and Bynum/Turiaf were in a much worse position at the beginning of the season than the Lakers are in now, and they were top 2-3 in the West throughout the year even before they got Pau Gasol. It's all about health and chemistry, and that's why that team was so successful. This Laker team is more talented than the one in 08(before Gasol).

With Kobe Bryant on the team, I wouldn't bet against him either.
http://www.youtube.com/LakersRule24
Visit, comment, and subscribe to the #1 Kobe Bryant Game Archive on the net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U616sib8v-Y
Kobe Bryant Clutch Compilation: Game Winners as of 2009
lakerskobe247

Postby vaylen on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:18 pm

And YOU realize that with those sucky teams in the East playing each other all the time, they are going to win a lot of games that the Lakers won't. We've really only got 3 sucky teams in the West. That means there will be quite a few teams in the East that are worse than the Lakers that will finish with a better record than the Lakers will.

Plus, we don't need the #1 pick (thought I wouldn't turn it down). Top 5 would be amazing, even top 8 would be quite nice. We can play our guts out with a 100% season Kobe in 2015.... when we don't have a #1 pick :man1:

therealdeal wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
The Rock wrote:All I can say is

Yes yes yes. Tank. Helps rebounding faster when we can get a top 5 pick in next years draft

Charlotte
Orlando
Philly
Milwaukee
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Sacramento
Utah
Toronto
Detroit
Washington
New Orleans

Have fun rooting for the Lakers to lose. Should be a disappointing season for you considering these teams are more than likely going to have a worse record than us.

I'll give you CHA, ORL, Philly, Phoenix.

I think the rest have much better situations than us for 2013/2014.

Our roster is out West its gonna be rough but we gotta hit rock bottom to bounce back high real fast

You realize that Boston, Toronto, Atlanta, Detroit, and Milwaukee are INTENTIONALLY tanking right?

You realize that Boston traded away everyone but Rondo and Green, right? You realize that Toronto has literally no one on their team but Rudy Gay and... Demar Derozan, right? You realize that Atlanta now is reliant on two undersized bigs and no offensive creator, right? You realize Detroit picked up Josh Smith and have no idea why or what to do with him, right? You realize Milwaukee doesn't know how to run an NBA franchise, right?

Those teams are going to be worse than us because they're awful and they're TRYING to be awful. We're okay and we're trying to be good.

Add to that teams like Sacramento, New Orleans, and Washington who just don't know how to win and you're looking at about a 0.5% chance at landing the top pick if you're the Lakers. I don't know why you're trying so desperately to see our team suffer. We're clearly not tanking at this point.
vaylen

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 pm

I wouldn't expect to be any better than 8th. Probably more like 10th-12th.. and that's with Kobe back and 50% of what he used to be last season... which is all I expect to see from him. Coming back from that injury and walking is one thing, being explosive and using footwork like he needs to get his old bones open is another. I don't expect anything above human from him until well into 2014 (fall).
BadCoaching

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 pm

vaylen wrote:And YOU realize that with those sucky teams in the East playing each other all the time, they are going to win a lot of games that the Lakers won't. We've really only got 3 sucky teams in the West. That means there will be quite a few teams in the East that are worse than the Lakers that will finish with a better record than the Lakers will.

Plus, we don't need the #1 pick (thought I wouldn't turn it down). Top 5 would be amazing, even top 8 would be quite nice. We can play our guts out with a 100% season Kobe in 2015.... when we don't have a #1 pick :man1:

I don't care how often those teams play each other, they're not going to magically get better than the Lakers as long as the Lakers have any modicum of health.

We're not going to get anywhere near the top 10 draft picks with our record this season. The idea is ridiculous. Not unless Nash, Gasol, and Kobe miss 40 games each.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 am

Assuming Kobe isn't himself until around December:

1) San Antonio
2) LAC
3) OKC
4) GS
5) Memphis
6) Houston
7) LAL
8) NO
lakersin4

Postby snackdaddy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 am

As long as Kobe joins the team early enough, say by mid December, I would rank them higher than the OP. In fact, I would put them between 8-10. If they stayed healthy, they could break the top 8.

If you want to approach it optimistically, you could say Pau will be playing where he's best at, near the rim, while Kaman is around the mid range jumper area. Nash could roam around and find these guys. Kobe will be closing things out in crunch time. Who knows? It could happen.

Then again, they could be spending more time nursing injuries and end up 13th out of 16. Hard to say. But one thing we can be sure of, they are not a championship contender. But in 2014, I'll laugh my azz off if they knock Houston out of the playoffs.
snackdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion