[POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

Re: [POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 pm

No one (outside Wilt) scored 81 points in a game either.

Just a little something about our guy Kobe.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 pm

I'll mirror what many others have said: it all depends on health, and especially Kobe's. If Kobe can come back successfully, and even down a few pegs realistically from where he was last year, we can do some things. Same with Pau. If he's not healthy this year are chances to be a playoff team are down.

If these guys can be fairly healthy I can see them peaking at probably a 7th spot in the West. If they aren't healthy all bets are off and we may very well end up down in the bottom.

Pretty sad affair that not only are we not at all in contention for a championship but probably, realistically are hoping for the third seed in our own division. Ouch. We have fallen. Can we get back up? Maybe not this year.

I have to say that this upcoming season is the most depressing I've seen as a Laker fan maybe since Magic retired. Between being stuck with D' Antoni, losing Dwight Howard, losing the great Jerry Buss, Kobe busting his achilles and maybe not ever being the same player, and our weird mix of older players and younger guys who haven't done a whole lot, it's just not hopeful at all. I'm not encouraged by much or any of it. Hard times for Laker fans. We've had it so good.

Thank goodness for the Dodgers by the way. They are taking my mind off the Lakers' woes.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:38 pm

No way Dall, Den, Utah are better than us at the moment. Dall is as medicore as you can get, Calderon/Monta isn't gona make them that much better. Den just lost Brewer/Iggy/Kufo, addition of Nate/Hickson makes them worse IMO not mention the coach change. Also Utah is NOT better than us either given the fact they lost pretty much their ENTIRE starting crew in Mo, Foye, Milsap, and big Al? Health wise everyone healthy, I say we're on par with all of the team OP has a ahead of us up to 7th seed in the playoffs IMO
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Sorry, I don't see us being worse than the Blazers, Mavs, T-Wolves, and certainly not the Pelicans. Ok, if we're injury riddled again, sure, but if relatively healthy I do not see us worse than those teams. As an absolute bottom prediction I can't go lower than 11 as I think we're at LEAST better than the Pelicans.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Too low. I'm not saying we are #1 or anything -- far from it. But this is too low.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:58 pm

The injury concerns are valid though...Kobe is 35 coming off an achilles injury, I think he should be ok when it comes to availability, not sure how much of his game is still left. Nash...19 back to backs I dont know how a 40 year old is gonna do that. Pau is coming off surgeries in both his knees

Our 3 best players are also the 3 oldest

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 pm

it is the same old thing: Try and throw dirt on the Lakers at every possible chance. I like it that way. Haters gonna hate
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Teams from 8 to 12 seem pretty much interchangeable right now based on the rosters ... injuries will play a major role in the finish order as Wolves and Blazers have recent histories of being injury proned teams , Pelicans have little experience ... Dallas changes the majority of its roster every season now

But we could have major pbs on our own ... little depth at the 4/5 being the main one ... we will be one injury away to Pau/Hill/Kaman to play Sacre/Kelly/Harris major minutes ...

Last season , if both Hill and Pau were out , we could still play Jamison/Clark/MWP at the 4 ... all contributed at one point to our "good" 2nd half of the season ...

This season ? One of them is out , and you'll have to play Kelly/Harris at the backup 4/Sacre at the backup 5

Tough not to envision at least one of the "big 3 " ( Pau/Hill/Kaman) to miss 20+ games with their recent injuries histories ...

Kobe recovery /Nash age could become "bad news" too ( though I don't worry much about Kobe)

Nothing wrong with a record prediction of 30/35 wins ... or of 40/45 wins if a the majority of things go right
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 am

Jordan Craig Hill ‏@jordanchill43 24m
Doing the Lakeshow dirty right now
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Jordan Craig Hill ‏@jordanchill43 28m
Ranked 12th?!? In the west?!?
Expand

If nothing else, we will see a motivated team this year trying to prove everyone wrong.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby gcclaker on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 am

Doc Brown wrote:

Expand

If nothing else, we will see a motivated team this year trying to prove everyone wrong.

Lowered expectations...the pressure isn't as intense. Let's hope they are healthy, cohesive and deliver unexpected, surprise punches to the face.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

Expand

...and that's everyone...including the fan base.

And this upcoming season, I'm playing the role of the anti-fan. The Lakers got some provin' to do.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:48 pm

I believe in any team that has Kobe Bryant on it. I believe in the cold bloodedness of Nash. Most importantly I believe we have a team of guys who actually have heart. We had a diva last year that had to go. He is gone. This team is going to suprise a lot especially the fanbase. Can't wait till the season starts. Im calling it "shock the world on these haters"
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm calling it a MDA team.....may make for entertaining regular season hoops...may even lead to a top seed...but come the playoffs, this one trick pony just disappears.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:I'm calling it a MDA team.....may make for entertaining regular season hoops...may even lead to a top seed...but come the playoffs, this one trick pony just disappears.

I get the lack of love for MDA but I think he learned a lot last year. People swear he couldn't change but as the season went tactics changed. Many say it was the players that did it and that may be true. In the end, I think if we are healthy with Kobe at the helm..... I'll take that especially without that coward with the 12 on his Jersey.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm with you Puff...screw Dwight (even though, I think with the right people around him, he could have been devastating for us). I respect your allegiance to the squad...but its just something I can't get behind. Basically, our FO wants to just roll with this squad with some cheap additions and gear up for the 2014 crop. If the effort is ho-hum, so too will be my support.

I understand that we have alot of restrictions, but some of them (like our coaching hire and the identity we acquired, even knowing that our core couldn't assume it) are all self-inflicted. I just can't get behind it.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

I think what the Lakers are banking on is a whole bunch of guys in 1 year deals are playing for their next contracts. They're hoping guys like Wesley Johnson, Nick Young, Kaman play out of their minds hungry for their next contract and ride that through this year. Interesting experiment

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby retro_nights on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm

8th-10th is about right. 12 a lil low..
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby The Rock on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Bump. Lakers 13th in the West :/

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby davriver290 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:58 pm

And dropping.....
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Weezy on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:07 pm

I still think if healthy we'd have been in the playoff hunt. I didn't see this coming from the Blazers, but then who did? Denver, Minny, Utah, New Orleans, not better than us healthy, Dallas maybe a little.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:46 am

I had Lakers at 45 wins coming into this season. At present they're projecting to 36 wins.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 am

When half your roster spends half the season on the sideline in suits, what do you expect?

We're going to be a lottery team, so the tanking advocates ought to be excited.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion