[POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

[POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 pm

So currently, I kind of have the Lakers in 13th place out of the 15 West teams.

1) San Antonio
2) LA Clippers
3) Houston
4) Oklahoma City
5) Golden State
6) Memphis
7) Denver
8) Dallas
9) Minnesota
10) Portland
11) Utah
12) New Orleans
13) LA Lakers
14) Sacramento
15) Phoenix

Before we get to the other teams, let's focus on why I put LAL at 13th. I still think the Lakers are in prime position to tank for a high lottery pick, even though they might not know it.

Why?
1) Age and injury prone-ness. This team still skews old: Nash, Bryant, Gasol, and Kaman are all at least 31, and it's expected those four will be in the starting lineup and hog a majority of the minutes. Also, Bryant is coming his Achilles' injury, which is the worst injury the league has to offer, and Nash and Kaman have missed huge chunks of games the past season. With Bryant expected to have to manage his minutes, that alone could have trickle down effects in winning games, because face it--Jodie Meeks has a tenth of the talent that Bryant had last season, and then his backup...yeah. Of note? In a league where many players are now born after 1990, the Lakers only have one--Ryan Kelly--and he might not get much playing time this year.

2) This team has a crazy obsession with the least value shot in the game: mid-range shots. All of the Lakers' new additions--Chris Kaman, Nick Young, and Wesley Johnson--all have this obsession with taking mid-range J's. While all three are actually quite good at it and had very scoring rates last season (and in the past as well), all three of them had subpar scoring efficiency for their positions last year. That's because all three either don't bother or are subpar at all other shooting zones, which has to hamper the offense. In addition to that, Kobe and Nash are also preferred mid-range practitioners (Nash is a bit frustrating--he's gold from deep, but takes far more mid-range J's than he should threes), and Gasol and Hill have also shown inclination to shoot at that space with high frequency. That makes seven guys right there--way too many.

This jibes with the idea that the Lakers severely lack finishers at the rim. It's expected after Bryant's Achilles injury that he might really decline in frequency of attacking the rim/conversion rate. Only Pau Gasol might be someone who will take shots at the rim and finish decently. Everyone else either will never get to the rim and/or struggle to finish well there. The Lakers have way too many preferred jumpshooters on their team, that's for sure.

Not enough three point snipers? Another issue is the Lakers really lacked long range three point spacing last year. The only player they signed who could shoot it from there AND is willing to shoot it (and this is only based on recent work) is Farmar. Meeks and Blake are the only other holdovers from last year with that shooting ability. Nash can shoot it but he loves to operate in mid-range space nowadays, so it's hard to count him. Largely, the Lakers will be really relying on their 6'4" and under guards to do most of the long range spacing, unless the Lakers really decide to play rookie Ryan Kelly (doubtful).

3) The Lakers have a ton of guys who struggle to rebound or pass the basketball. Off the top of my head, I can name four guys who are completely unable to do this, including the three guys we signed--Kaman, Young, Johnson, and we also have hold-over Jodie Meeks who exhibited these symptoms. Sacre is another guy who can be put in this category. Now, Young, Johnson and Meeks can all D up decently, so all isn't for naught, but I guess the Lakers will have to primarily rely on Nash, Bryant and Gasol as their primary playmakers (the only guys who can command a high usage rate and pass above the norm for their positions) but two of those guys are injury prone now, so if they fall the Lakers will have real problems creating offense. In rebounding, it's significantly worse--the only real rebounding machine is Jordan Hill, and his value there is mostly with O-boards. Pau severely regressed in rebounding, and the reality is the Lakers have no real player who is above average in defensive rebounding. This will be a huge problem area next year, guaranteed.

4) Defense? Yeah.../ It's clear the Lakers assembled this team to have a bunch of mid-range shooters Nash can pass to get easy assists off of, something that was hard to do last season with the Lakers' lack of natural scorers beyond their big four last season. But on defense, major weak links are Nash himself (bottom ten PG defender last year), Kaman, Hill, and possibly Farmar and Sacre. Kobe also regressed on defense last year. The Lakers' frontcourt defense in particular might be absolutely pathetic, but in lineups with Farmar and Nash, both the first line and final line of defense will be awful and the Lakers will absolutely hemorrhage there. I can imagine a scenario where the Lakers' plus defenders will only be Jodie Meeks and Nick Young, and that could be very pathetic. Also, your defense is only as good as your system--and in a league where coaches are progressively getting defensively-oriented, Mike D'Antoni is possibly the last vestige of the junk offense-no defense sort of philosophy. As bad as each of the individual Lakers' reps are on as defense, he could possibly make them worse--"sum being less than its parts" sort of deal. So yeah, it's very hard to have faith on this end. If the Lakers are even average on this end next year, it will be a miracle.

So, ultimately the Lakers have problems on both offense and defense, which will cost them a lot of games. There's a lot of exacerbated weaknesses and duplicated pieces. And, they're injury prone. And the coach coaches down on defense, and this team as constructed was already poor defensively. Of course, this season is just a placeholder to get ready for the ton of cap space next season, but say, had the Lakers got Carlos Delfino and James Johnson instead of Chris Kaman and Wesley Johnson, things could have been more interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Largely, the Lakers are fighting for the eighth seed with New Orleans, Minnesota, Dallas, Portland and Utah, with the first four teams clearly not tanking by adding pieces. Let's analyze the others:

[8]*The Mavericks are my pick to nab the eighth seed. They have a starting lineup of Calderon-Ellis-Marion-Nowitzki-and possibly Dalembert or Oden, likely. That's actually a reasonable starting lineup--Ellis undersized but actually played really good defense last year, and Calderon is incredibly underrated and mistake-free offensively, but a little passive, so they complement each other's weaknesses. Matrix has slipped a bit, but was a classically underrated athletic freak back in the day. Nowitzki and Calderon will give much needed shooting, Ellis and Marion brings cuts and at-rim finishes, and Ellis, Marion, and Dalembert can defend. Off the bench, Vince Carter and Wayne Ellington bring scoring punch and defense as well, and if they re-sign Brandan Wright and/or Elton Brand there's more underrated punch on that end. Devin Harris might still be a part of this. Jae Crowder and Shane Larkin are underrated, but I don't think they'll get off the floor too much. And of course, Rick Carlisle is one of the top coaches in the league, and they have a owner notorious for pushing for wins. They certainly didn't get their top option, and they're dependent on a few future signings, but assuming those go through, and I think they'll represent for the eighth seed. Their team doesn't appear all that injury prone either, great coach, complementary pieces on offense and defense. They might nab the eighth seed, and their team looks better than last year's team which nabbed the tenth seed.

[9]*Minnesota looks to have a very groundbound AND defensively awful starting lineup of Ricky Rubio-Kevin Martin-Corey Brewer-Kevin Love-Nikola Pekovic. Rubio was a bottom ten PG defender in the wake of his injury, but with his stealing ability and height of course there's potential; still, combine him with perennially awful Kevin Martin and that's some real awful backcourt defense. Love and Pekovic are groundbound and none are even remotely close to sound defenders. Corey Brewer can defend the rim but struggles at the perimeter for whatever reason. Losing Kirilenko will particular be problematic. Their bench is very decent, actually, with Chase Budinger, Alexey Shved, JJ Barea, Derrick Williams, Shabazz Muhammad and Dante Cunningham, but with the exception of Cunningham and Barea none of them are really good defenders. They might do quite a bit of damage offensively, though, and that could work, and being ten deep can help them win games. Also, a really underrated, grizzled veteran coach with Rick Ademan will pump them wins, bringing them here.

[10] *The Blazers were the 11th seed last year, but it's clear that they're making moves to try to add more wins through shoring up their bench. They effectively replaced JJ Hickson with Robin Lopez, but their ages are the same, and I'm not sure if Lopez is that much better than Hickson. Hickson has a natural gift for going after boards but is less effective in contesting shots, while Lopez is better at contesting shots and very awful at getting boards. And Hickson appears to provide more offense, so at the end of the day, this might be a downgrade. For now, their starting lineup appears to be the hold-overs Lillard-Matthews-Batum-Aldridge-Lopez. Lillard and Matthews are awful defenders, the latter really losing it, but Batum and Aldridge are very good defenders to compensate. On offense, it's a three-pronged attack of Lillard, Batum and Aldridge--it's a jumpshooting heavy offensive attack, however. The Blazers added rookie CJ McCollum, who might be another Lillard in terms of skill set, but he'll add scoring power to their bench, and Dorell Wright, a three point shooter with passing ability and defense on the side. Thomas Robinson is another addition, but is incredibly raw, and holdover Meyers Leonard flashed good inside-outside offensive potential in small doses. Overall, this is a jumpshooting team, but there's a lot of youth and some good defenders, and they got better in depth and aren't really an injury prone team. Coach Stotts is a bit unproven but showed himself to be an offensive coach, as well. They won't make the playoffs, as it's too deep at the end, but they somewhat improved.

[11]*The Jazz finally got the memo from their fans who wanted to see their young homegrown draft picks rise to the top, by fleshing away all of the older talent. They now start Trey Burke-Alec Burks-Gordon Hayward-Derrick Favors-Enes Kanter, in a case of ALL the players in their starting lineup now born in 1990 and beyond (ages 23 and below). I really like how this group complements each other: I'm not uber excited about PG Burke, but he can shoot the ball from deep and is a good floor general. Slashers Hayward and Burks complement Burke's shooting, and Favors and Kanter are excellent at finishing and rolling to the rim. Favors is a defensive machismo, and Alec Burks has potential to be a stopper; Kanter isn't bad at all in contesting shots either, so there's defensive talent here. There's probably not enough shooting here, and they might lack a go-to scorer which will hurt them, but there's a lot of young talent. Their bench is somewhat weak though, only with Marvin Williams and Brandon Rush being decent bench players, and if Rush can recover the threes-D aspect, that will make him very interesting. If Mo Williams resigns, he can give them bench scoring as well, but he might also start over Burke while the rook learns the ropes. Coach Ty Corbin is a bit overrated, as well. It's a tough flip of the coin here, but I'm not sure the Pelicans have talent that jibe as well as Utah's does, the coaches might be about even, but Utah might have the stronger bench. So I'm going with Utah over New Orleans.

[12]*The Pelicans have a bunch of name players, with Holiday-Gordon-Evans, but all three need the ball, and the first two are overrated shooters so it's hard to see them complementing each other that well. Their frontcourt defense might also be their bane--Anthony Davis, while talented, couldn't guard the rim last year, and Ryan Anderson is a turnstyle although he'll give them needed floor spacing. Another issue? Their bench scoring might be awful next year, unless they play Evans off the bench and start the defensive Al Farouq Aminu in his place. Who else is on their bench? Awful Austin Rivers? Ordinary Jason Smith? Non-offensive Greg Stiemsma? Anthony Morrow? Yeah. Their biggest problem is that they only run about five deep--Evans, Holiday, Gordon, Davis and Anderson--but two of them--Evans and Gordon--are really injury prone, and Davis missed time with injuries. So this might be a house of cards.

[13]*We talked about the Lakers extensively being a hugely mid-range jumpshooting team with some really awful defenders. It's sad when we say their best defender this year might be Pau Gasol and Steve Blake, and their best athlete might be Wesley Johnson, who never gets to the basket. Their starting lineup of Nash-Bryant-Young-Gasol-Kaman is dependent on the Nash and Bryant to stay upright, and Bryant's already got the Achilles, so he'll probably miss games and get a short leash in minutes. Kaman himself is injury prone too. All five guys in the starting lineup can score, and Nash, Bryant and Gasol can pass the ball, but there's a severe inability to rebound, and only Gasol's proven as a good defender (Bryant's defense might lose a bit after the injury). The bench of Blake-Farmar-Meeks-Hill-Johnson has four guys who can't rebound, none of them are excellent playmakers, and the majority of them are inefficient scorers. We could flip them with the Pelicans because they might possibly have a worse bench than the Lakers, but at the same time their core has Holiday, Evans and Anthony Davis, while the Lakers are reliant on Nash, Bryant and Gasol. I'd go with the younger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA: I'm not overly certain about Memphis and Denver, 6th and 7th seeds, respectively. Memphis had a new coach, and Denver's culture completely changed with a new coach AND a new front office. Memphis didn't really do anything to address their lack of long range shooting, but their core of Conley-Allen-Prince-Randolph-Gasol has to be one of the smartest, tightest and most defensive oriented starting lineups in the league, and Ed Davis and Kosta Koufos are both underrated offensive backups. New coach Dave Joerger is a bit of an unknown though, but I'm betting on the core. Denver's lineup now looks like Lawson-Wilson Chandler-Gallinari-Faried-McGee, with still a very powerful bench of Andre Miller, Randy Foye, Evan Fournier, Darrell Arthur, JJ Hickson and Timofey Mozgov. Their defense might really suffer losing Iggy though, but I think Wilson Chandler's up to the challenge. They're a bit of an unknown and might really lack a go-to guy on offense, though. Not sure if Brian Shaw can integrate the 11-man talent to wins, but they have enough talent to be a seventh seed, for sure.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Re: [POWER RANKINGS] Where to the Lakers stand in the West?

Postby MadMax on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Nice write up...I can't say I disagree with most of it.

I don't really see this team being a playoff team at all. We'll struggle a lot to win games, but could be an exciting season anyway.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:44 pm

The Lakers ranking, is ... interesting, it could be accurate, I have to see who we finish our roster with as we currently have 10 players signed, Farmar going to sign, and Kelly a likely signing. That's still only 12, I expect 13 or 14, we need a SF. I need to see us play, see how bad our defense really looks, know how long Kobe will be out for sure, before agreeing we'll be that bad. If healthy I would think we are 8th or 9th, fighting for the playoffs again, I don't think we've taken that big a step back from last season.

The other teams would be more interesting to me as to why you ranked them as you did. First, I have completely been ignoring Dallas, totally forgot the moves they'd been making. Calderon and Ellis is no joke, I don't know how so many of us haven't even mentioned them as an improved west team this season? Why Houston so high though, based on Dwight alone? Why the Thunder below them, is that with the expectation Westbrook misses some time this season? Aside from that I just can't see being actually worse than at least Utah, Minny, and Portland if we're relatively healthy. New Orleans I can see improving and surprising people so that's a possibility, Denver and Dallas I still see as debatable. You may turn out right, I guess if you are that means a better draft pick at least, but man I would be beyond disappointed if we finished 13th, we would have to lose a hell of a lot of games, you're talking about a 50 or so loss team.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 pm

Gotta disagree with putting Utah and Portland above us. I think we're gonna be in the hunt for the 8th seed along with Dallas, Minny, and New Orleans.
Helljumper

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm not going to put rankings out just yet until all the rosters are set for the start of the season......

But I will say, I wouldn't be surprised if this year took a 50-52 win season to get into the 8th spot. The West is going to be pretty solid this year.

It's going to be a close race from 1-4 and from 5-11 IMO.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby noobiew on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:19 pm

OKC, Houston, LAC, GSW, SAS, Memphis are virtually a lock for a playoffs spot in the West.

Minny, Portland, Dallas, Denver and us will be fighting for the last two remaining spots. :man5:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 pm

All I can say is

Yes yes yes. Tank. Helps rebounding faster when we can get a top 5 pick in next years draft

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 pm

The Rock wrote:All I can say is

Yes yes yes. Tank. Helps rebounding faster when we can get a top 5 pick in next years draft

Charlotte
Orlando
Philly
Milwaukee
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Sacramento
Utah
Toronto
Detroit
Washington
New Orleans

Have fun rooting for the Lakers to lose. Should be a disappointing season for you considering these teams are more than likely going to have a worse record than us.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

Charlotte
Orlando
Philly
Milwaukee
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Sacramento
Utah
Toronto
Detroit
Washington
New Orleans

Have fun rooting for the Lakers to lose. Should be a disappointing season for you considering these teams are more than likely going to have a worse record than us.

I'll give you CHA, ORL, Philly, Phoenix.

I think the rest have much better situations than us for 2013/2014.

Our roster is out West its gonna be rough but we gotta hit rock bottom to bounce back high real fast

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm

When I did in my initial sketch-up of the post, I really, really wanted to put the Lakers ahead of the Blazers and the Jazz. I thought at least the Jazz. But I've always been a huge fan of the Jazz's second unit from last season, and I think they complement each other well offensively and defensively. Really, really watch out for Derrick Favors, and I'm a big fan of Kanter's polish and Hayward's all-around game. If the Lakers stay healthy, they should take over the Jazz--they don't have that strong a bench right now, they're too young, they have no go to guy yet, Ty Corbin's somewhat overrated as coach. But...if you were to rank the top three teams in the league in terms of injury proneness, the Lakers HAVE to be right there. They're old, their best player tore his Achilles...so betting they're healthy is just not the way to bet. And personally, I'm more enthusiastic about Utah's young core than I am about the Lakers' mid-20s core, that's for sure.

As for the Blazers, I didn't like them at first, but I really like Batum and Aldridge--Batum really improved as a passer and defender this past year. Now, if Aldridge gets traded and they tear it down--yeah, then the Lakers should pass them. But for now, that's a good duo, and Lillard and McCollum bring extra offense, and I see Dorell Wright as an interesting piece here. I still think they lack some depth, for sure, Terry Stotts doesn't coach D, and Wes Matthews is useless, but, there's a reasonable foundation here.

I've said the Pelicans are overrated. ZERO bench. And I'm betting ZERO synergy between their guards. Holiday, Gordon and Evans all need the ball in their hands--I can see them making Gordon a spot-up long baller and Evans a cutter, while Holiday gets major ballhandling duties, but that's wasting away the other two guys' talents. And they have zero frontcourt defense, and possibly not enough three point shooting (only Anderson and Morrow). They only run five deep, and Monty Williams seems pretty average as a coach.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby TIME on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Always love your write ups jorker, but I'd probably argue with some of your placements here.

I'll just say if the Pelicans finish above us I will EAT a pelican... gotta be grilled though. :man12:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 pm

I honestly believe that we'll end up somewhere in the 5-8 seeds. Call me crazy but I just believe that all of us will be pleasantly surprised. We going to have a team next year that will play harder than the last few Lakers teams over the years. I'm really optimistic
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Won't go into specific ranking talk, but your arguments are very solid. Those things are all true, and are all important.
Health will be a major, major issue this season, again. (The same can be said for Dallas to some extent, which is why I don't think I'd rank them in the top 8).
Minny is looking good, Portland is looking good, New Orleans is looking good. Those are 3 teams that didn't make the playoffs last year and are currently IMO in a better position to do so this season. So the race for a playoff spot (assuming we even want to make it) is going to be tough, no doubt.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm

We have too many if's...

"If" Kobe plays at the same level as he did last year and plays at least 70+ games...
"If" Pau can get back to his 2011 state...
"If" Nash can stay healthy AND play anything like he did in Phoenix...
"If" Wesley Johnson can re-create himself as a 3's/D guy...
"If" Nick Young can put 2 and 2 together in his mid-range conversion, AND maintain his defense...
"If" Jordan Farmar can hit threes like he did in Europe...
"If" Kaman can re-gain his Clippers form...

But it's really dependent on the first case. If the rest are the case but the first case doesn't work, we still won't make the playoffs.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Every team has a lot of "ifs" too. It is easy to penalize the Lakers for all the "ifs" and then ignore the other teams for theres.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:03 am

For sure. I just think that we're relying heavily on Kobe, and this is the biggest injury he (or few other players) have ever had to face. It's within expectation to see at least a 40% decline in output with this injury.

Teams like the Jazz and Blazers have far fewer injury concerns than we do. The Pelicans have injury concerns and also severe depth concerns, so I can see scenarios where if we're healthy enough we can overtake them, but...
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby S.R.05 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:30 am

rydjorker121 wrote:Wes Matthews is useless

really? i'd take him on the lakers in a heartbeat
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 am

If Kobe is Kobe , I see the Lakers finishing with the same record as last season , good for the 8th spot...

Utah has some nice youth but they lost both Al and Millsap , will struggle a lot offensively , has sucked on the road for some time , same with Portland ... can the Wolves stay healthy after last season fiasco ?

Lots of questions for these teams too ... and if we end up behind the Jazz in the standings , we will REALLY suck , I see Utah with the 13th spot at best
wcsoldier81

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 am

Huh, Time wants to eat a pelican, and TRD still has a lunch date with a family of crows. . . People here seem to be in a fowl mood.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Magic Skywalker on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 am

rydjorker121 wrote:We have too many if's...

"If" Kobe plays at the same level as he did last year and plays at least 70+ games...
"If" Pau can get back to his 2011 state...
"If" Nash can stay healthy AND play anything like he did in Phoenix...
"If" Wesley Johnson can re-create himself as a 3's/D guy...
"If" Nick Young can put 2 and 2 together in his mid-range conversion, AND maintain his defense...
"If" Jordan Farmar can hit threes like he did in Europe...
"If" Kaman can re-gain his Clippers form...

But it's really dependent on the first case. If the rest are the case but the first case doesn't work, we still won't make the playoffs.

I do get your point, but if all those if's were to happen, then I think we'd be a lot better than a team looking to "make" the Playoffs.

Of course, I don't think all of that is going to happen, and I'd be glad with half of them.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby kakafung on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:38 am

i think it's repeated episode if we make the playoff next year .
Persuading kobe to rest a year and letting Mike run the team "as best as" he can ,the lakers has a lottery
given a chance to draft from atop .
but i know... the lakers would not give up :man6:
kakafung

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 am

The Rock wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Charlotte
Orlando
Philly
Milwaukee
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Sacramento
Utah
Toronto
Detroit
Washington
New Orleans

Our roster is out West its gonna be rough but we gotta hit rock bottom to bounce back high real fast

You realize that Boston, Toronto, Atlanta, Detroit, and Milwaukee are INTENTIONALLY tanking right?

You realize that Boston traded away everyone but Rondo and Green, right? You realize that Toronto has literally no one on their team but Rudy Gay and... Demar Derozan, right? You realize that Atlanta now is reliant on two undersized bigs and no offensive creator, right? You realize Detroit picked up Josh Smith and have no idea why or what to do with him, right? You realize Milwaukee doesn't know how to run an NBA franchise, right?

Those teams are going to be worse than us because they're awful and they're TRYING to be awful. We're okay and we're trying to be good.

Add to that teams like Sacramento, New Orleans, and Washington who just don't know how to win and you're looking at about a 0.5% chance at landing the top pick if you're the Lakers. I don't know why you're trying so desperately to see our team suffer. We're clearly not tanking at this point.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 am

therealdeal wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Charlotte
Orlando
Philly
Milwaukee
Boston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Sacramento
Utah
Toronto
Detroit
Washington
New Orleans

You realize that Boston, Toronto, Atlanta, Detroit, and Milwaukee are INTENTIONALLY tanking right?

You realize that Boston traded away everyone but Rondo and Green, right? You realize that Toronto has literally no one on their team but Rudy Gay and... Demar Derozan, right? You realize that Atlanta now is reliant on two undersized bigs and no offensive creator, right? You realize Detroit picked up Josh Smith and have no idea why or what to do with him, right? You realize Milwaukee doesn't know how to run an NBA franchise, right?

Those teams are going to be worse than us because they're awful and they're TRYING to be awful. We're okay and we're trying to be good.

Add to that teams like Sacramento, New Orleans, and Washington who just don't know how to win and you're looking at about a 0.5% chance at landing the top pick if you're the Lakers. I don't know why you're trying so desperately to see our team suffer. We're clearly not tanking at this point.

As rydjorker pointed out our 3 best players are also the oldest and more at risk for injury...Pau at Center yea like thats sustainable. Nash is 40 and he'll probably sit out back to backs. God knows what condition Kobe is gonna be in and hes probably out till November. When you take out the availability of our 3 best players (who will be shouldering more of the load by the way with Dwight gone & defense getting worse), how does our roster look now...Kaman/Hill/Johnson/Young/Farmar/Blake/Meeks/Kelly Sacre....is that really better than Toronto, Milwaukee, Sacramento?? No way

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:48 am

The Rock wrote:
As rydjorker pointed out our 3 best players are also the oldest and more at risk for injury...Pau at Center yea like thats sustainable. Nash is 40 and he'll probably sit out back to backs. God knows what condition Kobe is gonna be in and hes probably out till November. When you take out the availability of our 3 best players (who will be shouldering more of the load by the way with Dwight gone & defense getting worse), how does our roster look now...Kaman/Hill/Johnson/Young/Farmar/Blake/Meeks/Kelly Sacre....is that really better than Toronto, Milwaukee, Sacramento?? No way

So you go into this season expecting all three of them to miss all games together? You expect us not to have Nash, Gasol, and Kobe a lot all at the same time? That's one of the most pessimistic views I've heard so far.

And actually yes I'd argue that our bench these days is just about on par with Milwaukee, Sacramento, and Toronto. You should check into those rosters more.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 am

therealdeal wrote:
The Rock wrote:

So you go into this season expecting all three of them to miss all games together? You expect us not to have Nash, Gasol, and Kobe a lot all at the same time? That's one of the most pessimistic views I've heard so far.

And actually yes I'd argue that our bench these days is just about on par with Milwaukee, Sacramento, and Toronto. You should check into those rosters more.

Either we have to be competing for a title or arrange assets that set up to a title. The worst possible place is to be a middling team that barely makes the playoffs or barely misses the playoffs like Dallas is...theyve had a franchise cornerstone whos a HOF, a recent championship, a competitive owner, a championship coach, plentiful in capspace, No taxes!!! and yet 2 years in a row they've struck out on marquee free agents (Deron, CP3, D12)

Superstars want a roster they find attractive. Whats the point of having all that capspace next year if we dont make the roster attractive? One of the ways is by getting a high draft pick with a young guy who has loads of potential. Its 1 friggin year and within 2 more years we should be a title contender again.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion