Where will Dwight rank among Laker Bigs in the end?

Where will Dwight rank among Laker Bigs in the end?

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 pm

The Lakers have by far the best tradition of great big men in league history. Where do you think Dwight will rank among them when his career is finished? And do you think Dwight will earn having his jersey retired among the greats?

George Mikan: 5 rings / HOF
WIlt: 1 ring (with the Lakers) / HOF
Kareem: 5 rings (with the Lakers) / HOF
Shaq: 3 rings (with the Lakers) / lock for HOF
Vlade Divac: 0 rings / 1 Finals
Pau: 2 rings / probable HOF
Bynum: 2 rings
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Re: Where will Dwight rank among Laker Bigs in the end?

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:38 pm

The perfect question to ask before he's played a single game with us. :man12:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:The perfect question to ask before he's played a single game with us. :man12:

The perfect response to an invitation to discuss the Lakers.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby purp n gold on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I think there's a good chance he'll be a better Laker than Shaq, simply because he'll likely have a longer tenure as a Laker.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby gcclaker on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Howard is a terrific defender [could possibly be the best in franchise history] but isn't a two way terror like the hallowed four on the list named Mikan, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar and O'Neal. If he is fortunate to win a pair or maybe even more I don't see him rising past five. His offense looks clunky and am not sure if it could ever be refined... Despite his goofball character, Howard though is a fitness freak who takes his conditioning seriously so he may end up with a longer, steady career than O'Neal.

As a Laker fan...I want to see Howard stay healthy and have the best/multiple opportunities while afforded a more than able supporting cast [knocks furiously on wood].
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 pm

He'll be top 3.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Well it's definitely early to say. I'm going to base the following on a few assumptions:
1. He's able to come back healthy and explosive in a reasonable time.
2. He stays a Laker until he retires.
3. He remains fairly healthy through the future.

Dwight Howard is nicknamed Superman for a reason. He's one of the most dedicated athletes when it comes to his physical fitness and strength. Unlike Shaquille O'Neal, Dwight Howard has very little chance of becoming fat and entitled when it comes to basketball. He's supremely dedicated to keeping himself in shape and if that holds true, he can expect a long and fruitful career.

As far as his Laker legacy goes, a lot will depend on these next 2-3 seasons. In all honesty, he should bring a title to LA this season, next season, and depending on how the roster looks in 2014/2015 that year too. After that, he'll be expected to carry a rebuilt team for a few years. By the time he's expected to lead the Lakers to a ring on his own back he'll likely be around 29 or 30, the twilight of his prime.

I'm hopeful that he comes through this season and the next season. I fully expect him to be a force and to leave an immediate imprint on this team. He should be the Defensive Player of the Year again, the first Laker to win the award since Coop if my memory serves correctly.

All in all, I think Howard has a chance to be better than Shaq and Wilt as far as Laker lore goes.

Shaq left after 3 rings and 4 Finals and ended his career a Celtic. We'll always be grateful to him for what he provided for us, but there's a limit to where I will rank him as a Legendary Laker Center. Wilt did most of his damage in this league before he got to LA. He was still special here, but he only won 1 ring here. If Dwight can win a couple of Defensive Player of the Year awards and a couple of rings, he can surpass Wilt. If he can win an MVP and 3-4 rings along with a couple Defensive Player of the Year awards, I say he's better than Shaq.

I don't know that he can ever catch Kareem or Mikan. Those two had dynasties and I don't know if he can do that, I tend to think he probably can't.

All in all, given my conditions, he probably ends up somewhere in between Mikan and Shaq. He can do that. I hope he exceeds that expectation though. Will he? We'll just have to wait and see.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:28 pm

purp n gold wrote:I think there's a good chance he'll be a better Laker than Shaq, simply because he'll likely have a longer tenure as a Laker.

How much longer do you expect Dwight to play for the Lakers? Shaq was with us for 8 years. Dwight is 26 (27 this December) so if he plays 8 years with us, he'll be 34/35 during that 8th season.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby karacha on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Well, he's not going to be as good as Kareem, that's for sure. If he retires with the Lakers and wins some rings... he could rank up there with Shaq.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:The perfect question to ask before he's played a single game with us. :man12:

+1

We don't have a crystal ball

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby c.Lin on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:00 pm

It's going to depend on how long he stays with us and how many rings he contributes to the franchise. He has all the potential in the world to be up there, but when you think about all the past legends who have worn the jersey, it's really tough to say. I think we'd all be pretty satisfied if he got up to Shaq-level.
c.Lin

Postby TIME on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:08 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:

+1

This kind of post contributes nothing. Of course you don't have a crystal ball. Of course you can't accurately predict the future. Of course it's within the realm of possibility that Dwight will never play another game in his career. Of course an asteroid could hit the earth and the season will never start.

Here is the premise of this particular thread:

TIME wrote:Where do you think Dwight will rank...

Key word is think, not know or guarantee. It's just something to discuss now that the trade is over and we are waiting for the season to start. If you don't like speculative discussions involving the Lakers feel free to not participate. I don't know why I enjoy them but I do. I've always wondered where Kobe would end up among the greats in the game from all the way back in his rookie season. I am already wondering whether this team will win a championship or two. Pure speculation, but I enjoy discussing it with other fans.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:12 pm

TIME wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:

+1

This kind of post contributes nothing. Of course you don't have a crystal ball. Of course you can't accurately predict the future. Of course it's within the realm of possibility that Dwight will never play another game in his career. Of course an asteroid could hit the earth and the season will never start.

Here is the premise of this particular thread:

TIME wrote:Where do you think Dwight will rank...

Key word is think, not know or guarantee. It's just something to discuss now that the trade is over and we are waiting for the season to start. If you don't like speculative discussions involving the Lakers feel free to not participate. I don't know why I enjoy them but I do. I've always wondered where Kobe would end up among the greats in the game from all the way back in his rookie season. I am already wondering whether this team will win a championship or two. Pure speculation, but I enjoy discussing it with other fans.

I don't know what to "think" about his ranking among proven champion centers of the past, we will have to wait & see.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby revgen on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Depends upon how long he sticks around. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves when Nash and Kobe retire. He'll be 30 years old when Kobe retires in "2 or 3 years" as Kobe has publicly stated.

Nobody wants to be 30 years old and stuck on a rebuilding team. That's for sure.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm

revgen wrote:Depends upon how long he sticks around. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves when Nash and Kobe retire. He'll be 30 years old when Kobe retires in "2 or 3 years" as Kobe has publicly stated.

Nobody wants to be 30 years old and stuck on a rebuilding team. That's for sure.

I doubt Howard will be on a rebuilding team. The front office as they always seem to do will acquire another big time star to play alongside Howard.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby 432J on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:39 pm

i'd say 4 behind kareem, shaq, and mikan
432J

Postby revgen on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
revgen wrote:Depends upon how long he sticks around. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves when Nash and Kobe retire. He'll be 30 years old when Kobe retires in "2 or 3 years" as Kobe has publicly stated.

I doubt Howard will be on a rebuilding team. The front office as they always seem to do will acquire another big time star to play alongside Howard.

You have to give in order to get.

If Pau is "going to be here as long as I'm here", then I see Pau retiring too once Kobe's retired.

Retiring players aren't going to bring anybody in via trade.

Williams is locked up for 4 years in NJ. CP3 looks like he's comfortable with the Clips. I don't see LBJ leaving Miami. KD looks like he's going to be playing in OKC for many many years. The likely FA candidates for a pairing are Melo or perhaps Kyrie Irving. Melo is only a year older than Dwight, so it could work. Irving looks like he wants to be a TV star, so he might come to LA. Neither one of them make me optimistic. Melo always seems to come up short in the playoffs, and Irving, while talented, still hasn't shown me that he has "it" when it comes to winning games.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 pm

I can't see him ever surpassing the careers of Wilt, Kareem, or Shaq. He should pass the others.

As far as rings, I'm hoping he can get 2 or 3 with Kobe and another 1 or 2 on his own. Hopefully.

In the end, he'll be in the Hall of Fame and be ranked in the minds of most as better then all but the 3 I mentioned.
John3:16

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Awful lot of "rings" being thrown around....starting to sound like a catwalk in Miami with a bunch of smoke machines. In the immortal words of Charles Barkely.... "Dude(s), it's not that easy!!" :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:21 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Awful lot of "rings" being thrown around....starting to sound like a catwalk in Miami with a bunch of smoke machines. In the immortal words of Charles Barkely.... "Dude(s), it's not that easy!!" :man10:

Not 17, not 18, not 19, not 20......

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 pm

John3:16 wrote:I can't see him ever surpassing the careers of Wilt, Kareem, or Shaq. He should pass the others.

As far as rings, I'm hoping he can get 2 or 3 with Kobe and another 1 or 2 on his own. Hopefully.

In the end, he'll be in the Hall of Fame and be ranked in the minds of most as better then all but the 3 I mentioned.

You don't think he can be a better Laker than Shaq?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:
John3:16 wrote:I can't see him ever surpassing the careers of Wilt, Kareem, or Shaq. He should pass the others.

Rings? Sure. Dominance unleashed on the league? no.

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:07 pm

John3:16 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Rings? Sure. Dominance unleashed on the league? no.

Hm. Well what about this...

What if Dwight dominated at a lesser level for a longer period of time? Shaq was great for LA for a long time, but his weight became an issue, as did his attitude.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:What if Dwight dominated at a lesser level for a longer period of time? Shaq was great for LA for a long time, but his weight became an issue, as did his attitude.

No doubt. I really hope Howard reaches his full potential in LA and gets 4 - 5 rings here. Trust me, I was pissed at Shaq from his "company time" comment until he left. But there's no denying his dominance his 8 years in LA. I felt he should've won a few more MVPs. The league simply had no answer for him.

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:22 pm

John3:16 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:What if Dwight dominated at a lesser level for a longer period of time? Shaq was great for LA for a long time, but his weight became an issue, as did his attitude.

No doubt. I really hope Howard reaches his full potential in LA and gets 4 - 5 rings here. Trust me, I was pissed at Shaq from his "company time" comment until he left. But there's no denying his dominance his 8 years in LA. I felt he should've won a few more MVPs. The league simply had no answer for him.

All very true. I guess I'm still very bitter about the way he acted when he left and the year or two leading up to his departure. I thought I had forgiven him, but maybe not.

Maybe I'm just hoping Dwight does better. I think Dwight has the talent to do it, but we'll see. I think if he ends his career here he'll end up above Pau and Bynum for sure. The rest... maybe I'm just hopeful.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion