which player should the Lakers go After to help Dwight After

which player should the Lakers go After to help Dwight After

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 am

Kobe retires cause Dwight will obviously need another star with Him I'm thinking Carmelo Anthony
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Re: which player should the Lakers go After to help Dwight After

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:15 am

kyrie irving

also i think rudy gay would be a nice complementary peice, & maybe someone like milsap when pau is gone
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 am

Silversurfer minus the swag.....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 am

- Kyle Irving
- Kevin Durant ( will be a Laker if he doesn't win a title before his current contract is up , if he does win a title , Thunder 4 life)

- Kevin Love

There probably will be a couple of seasons when we have to go with lesser names ala Gay/Granger to wait for these big names to be available though

There will be
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:47 am

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:kyrie irving

also i think rudy gay would be a nice complementary peice, & maybe someone like milsap when pau is gone

+ 1 on Irving. If not (i will get flamed for it)... Rondo.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 am

^ Naw. You want a pick and roll PG with Howard and that's not Rondo. Not to mention a PG with a shot because guys are going to give him those opportunities instead of Dwight. Young Nash would have been perfect obviously.

Chris Paul is obviously the next best option. Then you're talking about a Kyrie Irving or maybe a John Wall if that kid can develop a reliable shot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:17 am

After Nash, he's going to get spoiled. Obviously you can't match that level of PG, but a star PG is the first piece. I'd take Irving. Then an athletic wing, someone like Rudy Gay or at least of that mold. Next, you give him a little help at PF, someone who doesn't have to be in the post to contribute.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 am

I don't want to think that far ahead, it's better to appreciate the now. We don't even know if we'll be any good when Kobe and Nash retire, who we get I have confidence the FO will figure out.

Oh and heck no to Carmelo Anthony, I don't see him winning anything that matters. If you think about it, there are very few players that have what it takes to take their team the distance, we are spoiled to have had Kobr so long and always have that one guy you need as long as the right team is around him. Irving is very good, but it remains to be seen if he has this ability. Really the only guys that had it since '99, Duncan/Parker, Shaq, Kobe, Wade, Dirk, LeBron, and those collective teams in Detroit(you could say Billups/Hamilton/Sheed) and Boston (you could say Pierce/Allen/KG/Rondo).

Then there's guys that have gotten their teams to the finals that didn't win, probably because they didn't have the best overall team, like Durant, Dwight, Iverson, Reggie Miller, and Jason Kidd (as leader of the Nets). Since '99 there have been only 10 or 11 different franchises in all the Finals series, that's a very small number for that long, it was mostly Lakers and Spurs too. So what I'm saying is there are a lot of good players, a decent amount of great players, but a relatively small number of guys who actually have 'it', what it takes to get a team to the end. Who we will get will need to have that if he's going to be in LA, that's just what we expect, and I have no idea who that will be at this point. Irving might have it, CP3 might, as well as some others, we'll have to see.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:35 am

I think we've gone over this topic before. I don't see CP3, Wade, Lebron, D-Will, or KD coming here to provide a perimeter presence for Dwight. Melo, Kyrie Irving, and Rudy Gay are possibilities.

I haven't been impressed with Melo as a leader. Especially in the playoffs. He's fine when you put him on Team USA since the other all-stars can lead themselves. Rudy Gay's leadership qualities aren't that impressive either, and he's not nearly as talented as Melo.

The only guy who really strikes my interest is Irving, who IMO has the characteristics of true leader even though he has no playoff experience and probably won't have any postseason experience as long as he plays in Cleveland. I'm sure Dwight probably won't be amused having to play with a greenhorn, and would probably rather play with a vet, but I think we should take the chance.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:45 am

revgen wrote:I think we've gone over this topic before. I don't see CP3, Wade, Lebron, D-Will, or KD coming here to provide a perimeter presence for Dwight. Melo, Kyrie Irving, and Rudy Gay are possibilities.

I haven't been impressed with Melo as a leader. Especially in the playoffs. He's fine when you put him on Team USA since the other all-stars can lead themselves. Rudy Gay's leadership qualities aren't that impressive either, and he's not nearly as talented as Melo.

The only guy who really strikes my interest is Irving, who IMO has the characteristics of true leader even though he has no playoff experience and probably won't have any postseason experience as long as he plays in Cleveland. I'm sure Dwight probably won't be amused having to play with a greenhorn, and would probably rather play with a vet, but I think we should take the chance.

well I think Melo would to the Lakers and Deron Williams when asked about it in the summer He sounded open to the Idea but didn't LA had the cap room to pull it off plus with CP3 Not committing to the clippers beyong this season maybe He'd like it Here Plus Him being a free agent the clippers can't stop Him becoming a Laker that said we will still have Steve Nash Next Summer but Having CP3 & Nash on the same Roster! Wow
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby purp n gold on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:51 am

John Wall in 3 years, you read it here first
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby revgen on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:56 am

^No offense to Wall, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight pulls an Orlando on us if we pick him up. He has talent, but he doesn't impress me the way Irving does, and his leadership at the NBA level is questionable.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

purp n gold wrote:John Wall in 3 years, you read it here first

Somewhere LAKEROC is laughing at this.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

Kevin Love. With his shooting ability he would be the perfect compliment to Howard.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby revgen on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 am

lakersStan24 wrote:
revgen wrote:I think we've gone over this topic before. I don't see CP3, Wade, Lebron, D-Will, or KD coming here to provide a perimeter presence for Dwight. Melo, Kyrie Irving, and Rudy Gay are possibilities.

well I think Melo would to the Lakers and Deron Williams when asked about it in the summer He sounded open to the Idea but didn't LA had the cap room to pull it off plus with CP3 Not committing to the clippers beyong this season maybe He'd like it Here Plus Him being a free agent the clippers can't stop Him becoming a Laker that said we will still have Steve Nash Next Summer but Having CP3 & Nash on the same Roster! Wow

When Kobe, Nash, and Pau are gone, the capspace will be there. That won't be the issue.

CP3 isn't coming here next season for mini-MLE money. It will have to be a trade scenario.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:01 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Kevin Love. With his shooting ability he would be the perfect compliment to Howard.

Love is a good shooter, but I wouldn't characterize him as a perimeter player who can perfectly complement Howard. We need somebody who can break down a defense off the dribble and make plays as well as shoot from the outside and create spacing. Love is not a candidate for that kind of play.

He'd be better suited as a 3rd guy after Dwight and the perimeter player.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Kevin Love. With his shooting ability he would be the perfect compliment to Howard.

Love/Howard along with Kyrie Irving is poised to win rings in the league after Kobe retires.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:53 am

lakersStan24 wrote:Kobe retires cause Dwight will obviously need another star with Him I'm thinking Carmelo Anthony

Wait....I thought you said a "star"??
nameant

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 am

nameant wrote:
lakersStan24 wrote:Kobe retires cause Dwight will obviously need another star with Him I'm thinking Carmelo Anthony

Wait....I thought you said a "star"??

:man10: whoa!

I didn't read the first post... whoa whoa whoa... Anthony? Hell no.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 am

lakerstan24 has got to be under 15.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:40 am

Obviously, you need a 3 or 4 that can shoot, and create his own shot when necessary. Stars like Durant and Love come to mind. They can shoot and rebound, and you don't have to "babysit" them too much. Usually when they have the ball, good things happen and they can help Dwight in the rebounding department as well.

To set everyone up, you need a young, mobile PG who doesn't mind passing the ball -- a lot! -- but who can actually shoot the long ball. If he can break the defense with his dribble, even better. Being a big scorer would not be essential then. Just being able to shoot the 3 when needed. A 40% would do, so people have to respect his shot, and his athleticism would be secondary in this case.

That's it. If you have, say, Irving-Love-Dwight -- you're contending for the championship.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

karacha wrote:Obviously, you need a 3 or 4 that can shoot, and create his own shot when necessary. Stars like Durant and Love come to mind. They can shoot and rebound, and you don't have to "babysit" them too much. Usually when they have the ball, good things happen and they can help Dwight in the rebounding department as well.

To set everyone up, you need a young, mobile PG who doesn't mind passing the ball -- a lot! -- but who can actually shoot the long ball. If he can break the defense with his dribble, even better. Being a big scorer would not be essential then. Just being able to shoot the 3 when needed. A 40% would do, so people have to respect his shot, and his athleticism would be secondary in this case.

That's it. If you have, say, Irving-Love-Dwight -- you're contending for the championship.

that would be a pretty damn good outcome.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 pm

durant, lebron and irving
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby venky on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Idk what I'll do if LeBron frontruns over here. Call me a bad fan, I don't care, I just hate that man.

I'm hoping it's Durant because he'd still be young. Maybe Carmelo.
venky

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:45 pm

KD
Thenextgreat

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion