Which Spurs players pose the biggest threat to the Lakers?

Which Spurs players pose the biggest threat to the Lakers?

Postby BDG on Fri May 02, 2003 1:38 am

I think Devean George has the capability to shut down Stephen Jackson. I feel our biggest threats are Malik Rose and Gionobli. Duncan will get his points, but Malik Rose is a hard-nosed hustle player and he might cause trouble for our PFs. As for Gionobli, the guy is quick, but if Kobe keeps him worrying about his defensive play, his offensive game might get disrupted. One thing Popovich knows how to do is Hack-a-Shaq. If he plays this type of game, it might be tough to get good looks with Shaq. But I still have faith that our players will come through and do it big. Expect to see Samaki get more minutes and help out with Duncan. What yall think?
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Re: Which Spurs players pose the biggest threat to the Laker

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri May 02, 2003 1:59 am

BryantDunkGiant wrote:I think Devean George has the capability to shut down Stephen Jackson. I feel our biggest threats are Malik Rose and Gionobli. Duncan will get his points, but Malik Rose is a hard-nosed hustle player and he might cause trouble for our PFs. As for Gionobli, the guy is quick, but if Kobe keeps him worrying about his defensive play, his offensive game might get disrupted. One thing Popovich knows how to do is Hack-a-Shaq. If he plays this type of game, it might be tough to get good looks with Shaq. But I still have faith that our players will come through and do it big. Expect to see Samaki get more minutes and help out with Duncan. What yall think?

I hate it when Jackson keeps hittin that three no matter if someone is in his face! I just hope DG does it thang and shuts him down! He seems to always hit the 3 when it's critical for the Spurs to get back in the game. Yea TD is gonna get his points, but I also feel like Rose and Manu did some damage to the Suns in round 1. As long as we can shut these fools down, then there's no need for the Lakers to struggle through this... :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Spurs

Postby Guest on Fri May 02, 2003 4:22 am

Parker will do what Hudson, Bibby, Avery, Iverson, etc have done. He's quick and will have his moments. Luckily Fisher has realized that if they have to play D it takes it's toll on the O side.
I have little fear of Stephen Jackson. He's a front runner, meaning when the going is good, he does well (see Van Exel), but if it's a pressure moment or they're behind he won't do a thing.
Duncan will get his, but if LA is smart, they'll copy Phoenix and double to get ball out of his hands. He's not the passer Garnett or Shaq is. But overall, he'll get his and we can live with it.
Robinson shoulda retired a year or two ago. He won't do much but offer up his 6 fouls.
I agree with you guys that Rose will cause problems. He's a high energy guy like Madsen, but he's actually coordinated. I hate when I see him check into the game.
Bowens: Probably the best in league against Kobe, but you know Kobe will still get his 30.
I see some close games. LA needs to implement a Hack-A-Duncan and also a Hack-A-Bowens because these guys throw up many a brick from charity stripe.

LA in 6.

Postby Lakerqueen on Fri May 02, 2003 4:23 am

If Tony Parker gets going, the Lakers are going to have to shut him down. Last year, Parker burned Fish at times. While Parker struggled in the first few games against the Suns, he can hurt the Lakers if they don't contain him.
Lakerqueen

Postby Reddy on Fri May 02, 2003 5:26 am

The Spurs swept all four regular-season matchups with the Lakers this season and Bryant said earlier that maybe Los Angeles would return the favor with a sweep in the playoffs.

"I think Kobe said something about that, that we could sweep them," Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson said. "That's what Kobe said. That is a possibility."

KOBE CAN PUT THE BALL IN THE HOLE ANYTIME HE WANTS! go 4 it lakers!
If we get a lead, we gota maintain it
WE gotta maintain teh momentum and we'll be fine!
lakers!
go 4 it!
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby ZenMaster on Fri May 02, 2003 5:57 am

The Spurs' bench in general could cause us problems...Rose and those shooters....IF we let them. Even though our bench has become much thinner than we would have liked, we can still pull out a series win, as long as we DON'T double-team Tim Duncan...let Horry handle him, he's used to it and has gotten quite good at frustrating him the last few years. If we double down on Tim (like Phoenix did) that leaves the S.A. shooters wide open, you saw what happened to the Suns as a result. Tell the Laker players to stick to their man like glue no matter WHAT, and cut off all the passing lanes...they will get frustrated, force their shots and we can crash the boards, go set up our Triangle, and then let Shaq and co. go to work. Stick to the game plan, and we'll be all right. :jam2:
ZenMaster

Postby BDG on Fri May 02, 2003 11:49 am

As funny as this may sound, I would choose Samaki as backup PF, cuz he knows how the Spurs play (he's an ex-Spur) and can provide that big body to get physical with Duncan.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Fri May 02, 2003 11:15 pm

Yep, I agree...Samaki playes excellent defense against Tim Duncan
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Postby Reddy on Fri May 02, 2003 11:28 pm

Hey guys
sorry i have a bad memorey and forgot
you guys mean defense as in followin him everywhere
forcing him to talke tough shots
or defense as in just blocking

or all of the above

INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Lakers4PEAT on Fri May 02, 2003 11:32 pm

well samaki did play a few years with the spurs, so he pruty much knows most of duncan's moves. samaki plays him well from what i've seen in the past, forcing him to take bad shots, always getting a hand up there without getting in foul trouble, and blocking his shots consistently. however samaki looks a bit rusty, but why not let him give it a shot
Wurdizzlez!
Lakers4PEAT

Postby Reddy on Fri May 02, 2003 11:35 pm

yeah why not
he hasnt had much playin time
and when he did he read kobe well for taht dunk
got a rebound and a block
he can play aggressive!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow:
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat May 03, 2003 5:55 am

Believe it or not, I think Danny Ferry will be a thorn in our sides. Wait and see. I say we have a great match-up against SA, so no fear for the series to speak of (yet) but Ferry can irritate us and was crucial to their sweep in the reg. season!
Snakell Beast

Postby BDG on Mon May 05, 2003 2:14 pm

u may be right. i honestly think that devean george can shut down stephen jackson. the spurs have tons of outside shooters. david robinson also might be a problem too. sure he's old, but he can hit it from 15-20 feet out sometimes. shaq hates to guard the perimeter, so it might take away some of our post presence if he does.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon May 05, 2003 5:31 pm

Tony Parker will also be a key to the series. If Derek stays aggressive and makes him work at both ends (ala Stephon Marbury) then we can win this series quickly, but if Derek gets caught up trying to spend all his energy to stop Tony, we could get into trouble. But thanx to Troy Hudson, Derek has had some practice on what I feel is a superior PG, so he has workied his 'D up into a new level and allowed for us to get a hang of how we will defend the Spurs.
Snakell Beast

Return to Lakers Discussion