Which of these players is most likely to become a Laker?

Who's the next star to join the Lakers?

Carmelo Anthony
43%
Lebron James
2%
Paul George
9%
Kyrie Irving
11%
Demarcus Cousins
4%
Chris Bosh
No votes
Dirk Nowitzki
2%
Derrick Favors
2%
Andrew Wiggins
2%
Rookie other than Wiggins
22%

Total votes : 44

Which of these players is most likely to become a Laker?

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:23 am

Barring some out of the blue Pau trade where we take on a bunch of salary, we all know we're going shopping next summer.. In your opinion, which of these players do you think we have the best chance at getting? Who is hungry to win now, would fit with Kobe, want the spotlight & pressure of being expected to win a ring every year. I'm just going to list the best players available in the poll, some are restricted & would need to force their way here. I added Wiggins & the other prospects in this draft for the people that think we'll be bad enough to end up in the lottery. If you think it'll be a player that isn't in the poll, or think we will acquire more than 1 of these guys, post up what you see us doing.

I'm voting for Melo.. Lebron will most likely get another ring this season.. The Knicks are stuck with JR Smith as their 2nd option & no way to add a star without getting extremely lucky. His friendship with Kobe has been talked about alot on here, & I know we considered trading Bynum for him, but opted to wait & form a CP3/Kobe/D12 big 3.. Didn't exactly go as planned.. We did everything right, CP3 & Dwight over Melo & CP3 or another star was the right choice, noone could have anticipated the veto.. But I think now that it's over we revisit the plan to add Melo.

What's interesting is I think landing Melo increases our odds of signing a couple other guys in the poll. Having Melo sign with us & then Paul George force his way here would be the most excited I've been about the Lakers future since the start of the ShaKobe era. While George is a pretty big reach, considering he'd have to convince Indiana not to match our offer by threatening to sit out or something..

A guy I think we have a very good chance at getting & maybe even getting cheap is Dirk.. He's said more than once that he's willing to take a paycut so he can play next to stars & win, but they've struck out on signing stars 2 years in a row. They went for Dwight & CP3 both years, & then went all the way down the list getting turned down until they got to OJ Mayo & Monta.. They aren't attracting the type of players that are going to get Dirk back to the finals before he retires. If we already signed Melo, I think we get Kobe, Pau, & Dirk in a room together & figure out how they split up what's left.
lakersin4

Re: Which of these players is most likely to become a Laker?

Postby kblo247 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:35 am

Melo
Dirk
* Jennings - if he takes the QO
Bosh
Granger
Bron

In that order for me.

Melo is Kobe's brother, he's a true max guy and SAS already said he was willing to extend here in 11 when the Bynum rumors came up (boy not doing the trade was stupid as the goal is to put together an older Kobe, Melo, Pau, and possibly LO). Damn sure doesn't hurt us that his playoff career in ny has seen Amare get hurt every year in the postseason like clock work, or that LaLa works in LA

Dirk is likely the second guy unless Dallas swings a trade for a star or moves him at the deadline. H said himself he would have went to Miami had Wade and Bron called. If you can get Melo, Nash, a cheaper Kobe and Pau, with some depth he will come after Cuban has wasted the past two years.

Bosh is probably third. He has no qualms or ego. He gives up his role and his shots willingly to make Bron and Wade work. He has much more skill and versatility than he shows and he's a better PF if you want to win actual games than the likes of Love.

Jennings would return home if he could and took the QO. He's a Van Exel wannabe anyhow.

Granger has a chance of being lured away from Indy because of George's growth.

Rfa may as well be taken off the list.

Bron is the long shot. You would need Kobe, Melo, Pau, and Phil in a visible Tex Winters like capacity to Rambis.
kblo247

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 am

I think a rookie other than Wiggins has a very good chance of becoming a Laker.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Amoray on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 am

When you have huge liability in your book, no investor will be attracted to your franchise. Clear your liability first, Kobe is huge liability for the Lakers franchise going forward due to his unwillingness to work with others and dedicate for the Lakers franchise. Kobe is me first at any cost and he does it to rein any plan the franchise intendeds to do. If Kobe was like the spurs star aging man then other superstar could have joined him. Kobe and his wife have plans to rein any superstar intend to join the Lakers as they did to D12. If do not believe me check out the video when D12 ejected from the last game Kobe and his wife rashed to the court side to avoid seen D12, that tells you everything what those two people are and their view for others. If I were D12 and watching that video, I would not join Kobe either.
Amoray

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 am

Amoray wrote:When you have huge liability in your book, no investor will be attracted to your franchise. Clear your liability first, Kobe is huge liability for the Lakers franchise going forward due to his unwillingness to work with others and dedicate for the Lakers franchise. Kobe is me first at any cost and he does it to rein any plan the franchise intendeds to do. If Kobe was like the spurs star aging man then other superstar could have joined him. Kobe and his wife have plans to rein any superstar intend to join the Lakers as they did to D12. If do not believe me check out the video when D12 ejected from the last game Kobe and his wife rashed to the court side to avoid seen D12, that tells you everything what those two people are and their view for others. If I were D12 and watching that video, I would not join Kobe either.

That does not make any sense. I don't think you will find many people here who will agree with you.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 am

Can you imagine if Dirk signed a one year deal with the Lakers. :man3: The Mavericks fans would be headed for the bridges to jump. :man10: That would be like Chuck Norris joining Al Quaida to them. :man10:
snackdaddy

Postby 432J on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 am

i'd say melo or kyrie, no way lebron or dirk come to LA. especially dirk, can you just imagine cuban and the mavs fans if dirk was to sign with us?
:man10:
432J

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:I think a rookie other than Wiggins has a very good chance of becoming a Laker.

Just to clarify, I mean a rookie that will be a star player.. Not on the level of the other players listed right away obviously.. But that option was meant for the other guys besides Wiggins that we'd likely need to be in the lottery or trade for a lottery pick to get.

@snackdaddy & 432J, I really think Dirk would come here if we're able to put Melo next to Kobe.. & taking a paycut to stay here would hopefully be the direction that Pau goes too.. That core of Kobe/Melo/Dirk/Pau would be absolutely insane.. Even at this stage of their careers. If Kobe/Dirk/Pau are all willing to take big paycuts (let's say 10, 5, 5) we'd still have the ability to go out & add more players with our space. We'd probably use most the remaining 20M+ bringing Hill, Young, & Wes back but we'd get the full MLE & I believe a bi-annual exception also.. We could really load up.

Nash?/Farmar
Kobe/Young/?
Melo/Wes/Young
Dirk/Hill/Kelly?
Pau/shotblocker/Sacre

We would need a PF/C that can play heavy minutes when Dirk/Pau get hurt, & to protect the rim when those guys are in or Melo is at PF. I'd love to somehow get Larry Sanders too.. If we could steal him for the MLE he's a great compliment to that roster.. He doesn't do anything but rebound & play great defense.. That's exactly what we need from a big that will be playing next to Dirk & Pau.
lakersin4

Postby Ludachris on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 am

Amoray wrote:When you have huge liability in your book, no investor will be attracted to your franchise. Clear your liability first, Kobe is huge liability for the Lakers franchise going forward due to his unwillingness to work with others and dedicate for the Lakers franchise. Kobe is me first at any cost and he does it to rein any plan the franchise intendeds to do. If Kobe was like the spurs star aging man then other superstar could have joined him. Kobe and his wife have plans to rein any superstar intend to join the Lakers as they did to D12. If do not believe me check out the video when D12 ejected from the last game Kobe and his wife rashed to the court side to avoid seen D12, that tells you everything what those two people are and their view for others. If I were D12 and watching that video, I would not join Kobe either.

Right.... and you obviously are the expert on this matter, having watched all the Laker games last season.

Anyway, my question for this thread is, most likely to become a Laker or the player you most want to become a Laker? As it seems people are stuck talking about the player they'd most like to see land here, not necessarily the most likely.
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 am

karacha wrote:

That does not make any sense, I don't think you will find many people here who will agree with you.

Does not make any sense?? Oh please spare me. That (above you) is the worst post I will read on THIS forum or ANY forum in the next 3.5 days. Congratulations :bricks: :bricks:
LTLakerFan

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am

Ludachris wrote:Anyway, my question for this thread is, most likely to become a Laker or the player you most want to become a Laker? As it seems people are stuck talking about the player they'd most like to see land here, not necessarily the most likely.

Most likely star player/rookie with star potential to become a Laker next summer.. That's the question the poll is asking.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:I think a rookie other than Wiggins has a very good chance of becoming a Laker.

Almost a guarantee... considering we have a 1st rounder that we HAVE to draft. :man10:

I'd say that pick has the best chance of all of them by far.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:38 am

why is kevin love not an option? i think he wants to play in la (just guessing), and he's already signed his big extension in minny. wall, cousins, george, and favors all need to take advantage of their first huge offer (and will have to go through RFA, too).

i see anthony, james, bosh, and dirk staying put, with melo having the highest probability of bolting his current situation.

the lakers have no shot at wiggins with so much tanking in the offing and stern ready to veto the lottery system should it turn up in la's favor.

so my guess is that it's two years from now, and it's love or aldridge and maybe rondo (if he gets thrown under the bus for the impending suckage in boston). failing that, the lakers' best hope for the next star is drafting someone good in the late lotto next year and then using that player in a trade for a disgruntled superstar (a la bynum for howard).
abeer3

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am

please log out
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

abeer3 wrote:why is kevin love not an option? i think he wants to play in la (just guessing), and he's already signed his big extension in minny. wall, cousins, george, and favors all need to take advantage of their first huge offer (and will have to go through RFA, too).

i see anthony, james, bosh, and dirk staying put, with melo having the highest probability of bolting his current situation.

the lakers have no shot at wiggins with so much tanking in the offing and stern ready to veto the lottery system should it turn up in la's favor.

so my guess is that it's two years from now, and it's love or aldridge and maybe rondo (if he gets thrown under the bus for the impending suckage in boston). failing that, the lakers' best hope for the next star is drafting someone good in the late lotto next year and then using that player in a trade for a disgruntled superstar (a la bynum for howard).

I thought about adding Love instead of Favors, but if I was going to include guys that could force a trade, I would have to include Durant too.. If there were more poll options Love would be on there.
lakersin4

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm

another reason to keep an eye on love: after signing pek, brewer, and martin, i believe that minny won't be very far under the cap (if at all) should love walk in 2015 FA. this means that if he's unhappy next year, the lakers may be able to get him via trade in the summer, perhaps using the 2014 pick as bait.
abeer3

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

please log out

It's Nelly yo' :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LOSLAKERS on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:45 pm

I say Melo then Kyrie as a fairly distant 2nd.
LOSLAKERS

Postby CGrand81 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm not sure but ill go Kyrie, only because Melo coming to LA would make me puke, stuck in 1st/2nd round exits for years to come.
CGrand81

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Kyrie has two severe limitations that really make me wonder about is upside--defense an passing ability. The guy can shoot, but I kind of question his shot composition--he takes too many mid-range J's for my liking, and doesn't really have explosive athleticism that we've come to expect of his type. So, I'd pass on this guy.

I've always hated Melo's game ever since he came into the league. Again, kind of surprised he'd join us, after all of those years of ousting him in the first round in Denver when we've met them in the playoffs. He's a mid-range binger who has progressively strayed into that area due to age, because he's lost a lot of his athleticism. Not to mention, he's completely aloof on defense, has a bit of a selfish gunner's rep, and chucks up too many threes with percentages that don't warrant it. He's really fool's gold, and it's hard to see any team winning with him in tow.

Of that list, obviously we'd have to go with LeBron. He's elite in many categories, but unless LeBron wants a new challenge, for whatever reason, I'd have a hard time seeing him come into an empty canvas team which would be us after this year.

Paul George is a bit too jumper heavy, but he's got a really good touch. Athletic guy, but really crummy ballhandling has impeded his ability to slash to the basket much. Excellent defense. There's a 2-way game in the making, and we should pursue him especially with his age. We'd just need to pair him up with a slasher. LeBron and George would be an excellent pair, IMO.

I don't know much about Wiggins, but I'm always for perceived elite prospects out of the draft. That's where a lot of gold is struck, particularly with top five picks.

I don't like anyone else on that list besides maybe DeMarcus Cousins, because I see a lot of potential. Absolute brickster with no offensive conscience, but if he puts it all together, there's an inside-outside high usage offensive type who can create for others, and a rebounding machine. Defensively...eh. Probably won't throw max at him, especially with his personality and attitude, but could be an interesting lower-level buy.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:19 pm

^^^ You drive a hard bargain for what impresses you. No warts get by. Excellent, we know pretty much all the weaknesses thanks to that and can lobby for each of our own personal preferences. I suspect as well that there is wiggle room for significant improval on the younger guys because you are so conservative in the analysis of their games. IF they are willing to work at it.
LTLakerFan

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Not really sure, but my preference would be Wiggins, George or Irving..
LakerFanIam

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I voted for Kyrie and would have liked to vote for Paul George as well even though I know those two for sure won't be coming because both teams will match whatever offer is out there.

I just love Kyrie Irving, he reminds me a little bit of a young Kobe who is just fearless and has that ultimate confidence in himself. He's one of if not my favorite NBA players other than Kobe of course. I watched a lot of Cavs games last year and it was real entertaining.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:

please log out
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby FightOn on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm

If the Heat don't 3peat I can see Lebron opting out and heading to LA. Not likely but a possibility.
FightOn

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion