Who Gets Along Worse..Jim/Phil or Dwight/Kobe?

Which relationship is worse?

Dwight and Kobe
10%
Jim and Phil
90%

Total votes : 20

Who Gets Along Worse..Jim/Phil or Dwight/Kobe?

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Sorry, as I've mentioned a couple of times now after Mitch bent over backwards trying to pump Dwight up in the media just prior to the trade deadline to remain an L.A. Laker and also after the NICE game from Dwight finally against the Celtics following Dr. Buss' passing, I really, really want to believe that Dwight is getting the big picture and is moving away from his serious and unrealistic "ego" issues with Kobe and his (Dwight's) role at this point in time.

I think it's safe to say honestly that there is absolutely nothing to suggest any thaw between Jim and Phil. Sucks for the franchise.

I thought maybe there was a light at the end of the tunnel, after Mitch's words of support for Dwight's future with the Lakers just before the trade deadline, and with the way he seemed to play finally against the Celtics that evening in the nice win.

But just now I was driving and heard Dwight asked today and the sound byte on AM710, "what did you think (of Kobe's call to rally the team in Dr Buss' memory) for the rest of the season". Paraphrasing here. Dwight has a chance to say something encouraging, and instead I hear him say, (again paraphrasing) something to the effect that sure the whole team was already behind the idea in a surly kind of dismissive way. I mean that is just how he sounded. Giving Kobe zero props whatsoever, like he (Dwight) would be less of a man almost if he were to give Kobe any props. The same passive agressive crap. He simply does not like Kobe yet, or at this point, or perhaps EVER. I'm a glass is half full guy but I still see zero indication that Dwight likes Kobe as a teammate. And because of that I'm sure Kobe is not thrilled with him as well.

Both situations of egos have negatively impacted this season in a huge way. For "chuckles" in a gallows humor sort of way because at least humor helps here for us hard core fans...... who gets along worse? And as well with your opinion, which set of personalities has a better chance of mending the relationship for the betterment of the team?
LTLakerFan

Re: Who Gets Along Worse..Jim/Phil or Dwight/Kobe?

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm not sure what the poll question was, but I answered according to "which relationship is worse".

We've discussed the Kobe/Dwight relationship to lengths in the Dwight thread, and most here have come to the conclusion that Dwight is "figuring it out".

As far as the AM710 comments, I didn't hear them so it's hard for me to say. But I will admit this, when I read that exact quote in the BSPN article, I kind of had the same feeling. I mean isn't easier for him to just go along with whatever the media says, and agree that Kobe, the Captain is trying to rally the team?

Then again, maybe he was defending himself, suggesting that he takes it seriously, and he has taken this whole season seriously, and that's why he said it wasn't anything new.

Jim and Phil are like oil and water. Don't mix, especially when there's heat.

Also, I don't know if anyone has seen this...but I'll try to post in the Dwight thread too.

Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Well Kobe and Dwight still work together, they still high five on good plays, especially on defense. Jim went as far as hiring a clown in a coach's clothing just to avoid having Phil back, and this is a man now engaged to his own sister with 11 championships, so yeah, I'm going with Phil/Jim.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Kobe and Dwight continued that tonight in the Portland win. Long as they look good with each other on the floor. They have to at the very least you would think admire the game in each other (as Dwight gets healthier) and you would hope Dwight is mature enough to appreciate he's playing next to all time greatness. In two players.
LTLakerFan

Postby sina on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:05 am

Dwight still not recognize how lucky he is playing with this organization and alongside the all time great in Kobe. If you want to win a title, you need to play alongside at least one unstoppable player. James, Norwitzki, Kobe, Pierce, Duncan, Billups, Wade, O'neal...And Kobe has one year left in his contract.
sina

Postby kenzo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:20 am

^ Not sure if that list is serious? :man3:
kenzo

Postby escitnj on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 am

I still don't understand what Jim Buss has against Phil. Is it really just his ego?
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 am

^^^ Just taking a wild stab at it...a kid from Michigan gets taken in as an adopted son and while becoming the best PG in the business, also makes Dad a ton of money and wins his affection. Meanwhile, your sister is killing it on the business end of the family business and suddenly brings in a potential son in law that is known as the best coach in the business and he too makes Dad a ton of money while earning his admiration. Meanwhile, you're pissing away Daddy's money at the horse track and notice that Daddy's other "sons" are making you look impotent. So using your inherited power as a beneficiary of your last name, you drive out the kid from Michigan by having him sell his ownership stake and then (attempt to) dismiss everything that reminds you of the triangle except the mamba meal ticket.

That would be my guess....pretty harsh, but also extremely plausible.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:38 am

^ Pretty much what I think too.

Must be hard for the oldest biological son of Dr. Buss to see all of these vastly more talented people earn his father's respect and love. It'd be hard on anybody to see that.

Another relationship that's not talked about enough is Jim/Magic. Like Vasashi pointed out: that relationship is probably the most taxed. Magic clearly doesn't like Jim. Jim probably harbors a lot of jealously towards Magic.

Purely my speculation: Magic wanted to own the Lakers after Jerry passed. He's said he wanted to be an owner like nothing else. Jerry decided to give it to Jim. Jim has proven himself to be a kid who's trying hard at this, but I don't know if he has his father's natural ability. I think Magic might, but he didn't get the team even though he was Jerry's "adopted" son. I sense a lot of resentment there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 am

I've yet to hear Magic have disparaging words for Jeannie Buss (who runs the business operations) or Johnny Buss (who ran the Sparks when they won their 2 championship titles). Both seem to have a better understanding of how to run a basketball club.

Here's an article everybody should read about Jim and Jeanie and the Buss family as a whole. It's old (from 1998), but I think it's still relevant today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014465/1/index.htm
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 pm

magic loves jeannie. he's publicly spoken critically of jim buss many a time.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

revgen wrote:I've yet to hear Magic have disparaging words for Jeannie Buss (who runs the business operations) or Johnny Buss (who ran the Sparks when they won their 2 championship titles). Both seem to have a better understanding of how to run a basketball club.

Here's an article everybody should read about Jim and Jeanie and the Buss family as a whole. It's old (from 1998), but I think it's still relevant today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1014465/1/index.htm

Wow, what a depressing article. Not only are the kids scarred from the divorce, and living in the shadow of a great man who they can never live up to, none of them except Jeannie has the education, smarts, and discipline to do anything useful. And she has no chance of getting the reins since she's a woman.

The Lakers are screwed.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby escitnj on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Wow..Thanks for the input^^both of you. It just never made sense to me why a coach who won 5 championships for the team (while under the Buss ownership) would be turned down for someone who hasn't nearly proved himself to be a better option other than questionable theories of what offense would best fit the current Laker personnel. But even that doesn't make full sense..The only logical thing to think that perhaps there are issues that go beyond just basketball (making your mark, wanting to prove yourself, jealousy, etc.). At the very least I suppose it can make people more understanding of why Jim makes such rash decisions. It's interesting to see what Phil himself thinks of how Jim Buss has chosen to do things:
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Postby Uncle_Meat on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:...
Both situations of egos have negatively impacted this season in a huge way. For "chuckles" in a gallows humor sort of way because at least humor helps here for us hard core fans...... who gets along worse? And as well with your opinion, which set of personalities has a better chance of mending the relationship for the betterment of the team?

Jim and Phil is beyond mend. Jim suckered punched Phil and everyone heard his agent's response.

As for Dwight. This has already been described and don't take credit for it. If he walks he risks the ridicule of the league for not making it in L.A. He will have acquired a chip for his shoulder removable only with a championship somewhere else. I'm sure his agent knows all about this. We'll see what unfolds and how Dwight further defines himself. Will he make an honest effort to make it here? What he left in Orlando was nothing to be remembered.
Uncle_Meat

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Jim just has major insecurity issues. If you think it's hard growing up, coming from nothing -- I'm sure it's just as hard in a sense growing up coming from having everything.

He probably thought life was laid out for him, but when given an opportunity, he has royally f****d up....only to get outdone by the Phil's and Magic's and West's Kupchack's. Not to mention his sister, his blood, has ties to one of the people not only outdoing him, but publicly criticizing his role and aptitude.

The idea of Magic potentially owning this team really intrigues me.....and it could be very very true. I seriously doubt he wanted to put all his eggs in the Dodgers....He saw the Lakers under Jim's helm and went :hurl: . Well, it was convenience too, it's not like the Lakers were up for sale.
Chillbongo

Return to Lakers Discussion