Who should the Lakers get next?

Who should the Lakers get next?

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:03 pm

As a Laker fan, I would really appreciate it if Mitch Kupchak would stop signing more veterans and unproven young guys. He needs to go for the needle, some special young talent who has scoring punch or contributes in any other way anyhow. This site told rumors of Derek Fisher for Desmond Mason, once, although I don't believe it and I still like Fisher, regardless if he's older than Desmond. And then there were mentionings of Anthony Mason coming over here. Veteran signings in L.A. are getting crazy all of a sudden! Man, we've got Horace Grant, who's just an old man doing the intangibles by now, Karl Malone and Gary Payton, plus Fox and Shaq, who are old enough.

The free agent pool isn't much better though. They don't have the guys the Lakers are looking for, with veterans like Jimmy Jackson, Voshon Lenard, Jon Barry, Kendall Gill,Lucious Harris..aargh! How many veterans can I name? Anyways, you notice that I'm making a trend of free agent shooting guards, as by now those are the only kinds of players the Lakers need. We got a logjam at power forwards, with that unproven Jamal Sampson and that Ben Wallaceish guy out of high school (forgot his name). Those guys are raw talent, and they cna't even contribute. Kobe and Devean seem to be the only "middle agers" who contribute as of now. Rush and Pargo's contributions remain to be seen, and what can Cook and Walton go? The Lakers missed out on those proven free agents, and I would go for Lamar Odom now, although he must demand a lot of money. He's young proven talent as I was just talking about. Man if the Lakers only have more money, or if guys like Hedo Turkoglu and Courtney Alexander were free agents, as they come in cheap! Those remaining free agents that are left either don't match up to the Laker's style of play, or that they just plain suck. That's all there is to it. Although guys like Jim Jackson and Lucious Harris are great scorers, they're not going to be in L.A. for long. People get old, and it's much better insurance if L.A. could get a guy born around the 1976-1978 range who has great B-ball skills. If it were me, I would go for Felipe Lopez, Dion Glover or % shooting guards, as by now those are the only kinds of players the Lakers need. We got a logjam at power forwards, with that unproven Jamal Sampson and that Ben Wallaceish guy out of high school (forgot his name). Those guys are raw talent, and they cna't even contribute. Kobe and Devean seem to be the only "middle agers" who contribute as of now. Rush and Pargo's contributions remain to be seen, and what can Cook and Walton go? The Lakers missed out on those proven free agents, and I would go for Lamar Odom now, although he must demand a lot of money. He's young proven talent as I was just talking about. Man if the Lakers only have more money, or if guys like Hedo Turkoglu and Courtney Alexander were free agents, as they come in cheap! Those remaining free agents that are left either don't match up to the Laker's style of play, or that they just plain suck. That's all there is to it. Although guys like Jim Jackson and Lucious Harris are great scorers, they're not going to be in L.A. for long. People get old, and it's much better insurance if L.A. could get a guy born around the 1976-1978 range who has great B-ball skills. If it were me, I would go for Felipe Lopez, Dion Glover or DerMarr Johnson. Stephen Jackson would be preferable, but the guy wants money. James Posey would be good, too, but he's already signed an offer sheet with Memphis. Tell me of your thoughts on which free agents the Lakers should nab around the '76-'78 age.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby murcielago62 on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:05 pm

a SG, and that's all. Too much would ruin chemistry
"Sitting in the house, I'm loadin' up the pump. I'm loadin' up the Uzi. I got a couple M-16s, a couple 9s. I got a couple joints with some silencers on them. I'm just loading clips, a couple grenades. I got a missile launcher with a couple of missiles. I'm ready for war." - Kevin Garnett
murcielago62

Interesting but good points...

Postby Lakerdynasty on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:23 pm

I agree with you all the way. The only thing that's wrong with that is that some of the players you mention are from the rival teams such as sacramento, san antonio. Also I dont think we have valuable players that are tradable. The other thing would be financial wise. Mitch has spoke to buss about not going over a certain amount for the luxury tax. Althought it would be a good idea to snatch stephan jackson from san antonio since they took robert horry. I could care less where madsen goes even though we helped us a lot. We got malone now, so we dont need him. I hope they can sign a dedent center that wants a ring and that would be the reason.
Lakerdynasty

Postby echo nation on Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:30 am

easier said then done
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby BoogieKnight on Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:38 am

Boy, you guys need to come off of fantasy island. The Lakers are over the salary cap. All they can offer are league minimums and vet minimums. Think about that before you throw around names like James Posey, Stephen Jackson, or even DeMarr Johnson. My hope is that the Nuggets don't resign Vincent Yarbrough and we steal him from them.
BoogieKnight

Postby echo nation on Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:50 am

yea... we tend to forget about money sometimes
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby Coppertop on Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:39 am

The San Antonio Spurs are the only "young" team to have won the championship in a VERY long time. Young teams don't win often. The Lakers picking up Ho Grant was a solid move. The guy has only played in 81 games since he left LA two years ago, so not much on the mileage there. The Lakers will have plenty of energy, and its more about energy and enthusiasm and experience than raw athleticism and youth.
Coppertop

Postby echo nation on Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:41 am

81 games

why we complaining

thats like a full season

i know its over 2 years, but we dont need a full season from him.. just about half -P
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby kobe_babee on Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:32 am

i want jim jackson!!! :jam2:
kobe_babee

Postby kobe_babee on Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:34 am

ooohhh... or maybe lucious harris. i agree that we really need an experienced but young playa. enough wid veterans!!! they may be experienced but they may slow down.
kobe_babee

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:07 am

very well put......here in lies the problem with aquiring a 26 to 28 year old shooting guard, Felipe Lopez would be the most realistic of the bunch....You Already have a 22 year old shooting Guard who you have decided to keep around and invest time in (Kareem Rush). The fact is if you bring in someone like that, Kareem will never have the opprotunity to grow as a basketball player.....we need a 25 to 29 year old athletic big man man who is ready to contribute this season, by the time that Cook is developed enough to see action Malone will be gone and he can split time with the 25 to 29 year old PF.....Someone who can finish a fast break, block some shots and grab some boards and most of all is active on both ends of the court (Donell Harvey, Chris Anderson), i am tired of seeing lazy [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] players standing around.....So we should go big and let our young backcourt players develop and contribute
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Laker brain on Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:43 pm

Jim Jackson
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:00 pm

i do like JJ.....but maybe based on the summer progress of Kareem the managment feels its time to take off the training wheels
SWOL

Postby Guest from L.A. on Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:09 pm

No Lucious. Nets are negotiating to sign him back into the fold.
Guest from L.A.

Postby Outcry of pain on Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:30 pm

I believe Kareem, Magic, Barkley, and Bill Russel are returning to the game. I believe the Lakers will sign each of them to insanely high contracts. These fellas will be starters and not bench warmers. I hear Bill Russel is in the shape of his life and would like to "school some of these young whipper-snappers."
Outcry of pain

Postby SWOL on Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:24 pm

Yes and we are gonna sign your mom to massage all the player goin's and hamstrings, ya know the massage with the happy ending :jam2:

your mom rocks :jam2:
SWOL

Postby echo nation on Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:34 pm

k we're not getting ANY of the players listed, get over it
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Return to Lakers Discussion