Who Should Be The Lakers New Head Coach?

Who should be the Lakers New Head Coach?

Phil Jackson
58%
Mike D'Antoni
24%
Jerry Sloan
11%
Nate McMillan
1%
Mike Dunleavy
2%
Bernie Bickerstaff
1%

Total votes : 124

Re: COACH: (Woj) D'Antoni a candidate (Berg) Phil Jax interested

Postby Tobias Funke on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:02 pm

XXIV wrote:
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
I've heard the same as @Mike_Bresnahan - different source - that D'Antoni's knee would not be an issue if offered job/hired by Lakers

Pretty much D'Antoni saying "F*** my bum knee, Id walk on glass barefoot to get this job. Seriously."
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm

gill wrote:I want Jimmy to be the one handing Phil that contract. :man11:

Forget that, I want Jimmy calling Phil begging him to come back. :man10:
XXIV

Postby furiii on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 pm

So Phil Jax was apparently at the practice facility yesterday. Looks like he is joining the Lakers!
http://smarp.com/event/IA562620/Celebri ... -AB-Canada
Last edited by furiii on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furiii

Postby frankrj on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Awesome video. I could use your services actually. I don't think Sloan likes all the glitz and Phil may not come on for 1 season with an aging team. Just being real.
frankrj

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Vincent Goodwill: An exec tells me on Brown firing: "This has been in the works for the last 2-3 weeks" while hinting they've already reached out to PJax
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Phil's coming back.

I feel it in my gut.
MadMax

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
Phil Jackson has not been contacted by the Lakers as of Fri afternoon, but he is open to an NBA return according to a source close to PJax

Just call the man
XXIV

Postby Tragic on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 pm

:man4: Phil!!! Please come back
Tragic

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 pm

XXIV wrote:
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus
I've heard the same as @Mike_Bresnahan - different source - that D'Antoni's knee would not be an issue if offered job/hired by Lakers

we all know D'Antoni would duct tape that leg together and hop on a plane if we gave him a call
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby gill on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:15 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
XXIV wrote:
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus

we all know D'Antoni would duct tape that leg together and hop on a plane if we gave him a call

I don't know why, but I'm laughing just imagining this in my head... :man10: :man10:
gill

Postby Fraud on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 pm

since Dwight wants Phil, lakers must do it

but ONLY if dwight commit he will stay :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Fraud

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 pm

PJ! PJ! PJ! How can anyone NOT want PJ? Craziness.
JGC

Postby OX1947 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 pm

D'Antoni, Phil or Sloan, either one, I would be fine with.
OX1947

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Why D'Antoni? He hasn't won squat. Would we still want D'Antoni if Nash wasn't here? Doubtful.
JGC

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Per McMenamin
Phil Jackson is open to returning to the NBA sidelines, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the Hall of Fame coach's thinking.

With the Los Angeles Lakers relieving Mike Brown of his coaching duties Friday morning due to a 1-4 start, the door is open for Jackson to return to the Lakers for his third stint as coach of the league's glamour franchise.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told reporters Friday afternoon that the team's brain trust -- Kupchak along with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss and executive vice president of player personnel Jim Buss -- have already put together a list of potential replacements for interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff. Among the "four or five" names on that short list is Jackson, according to a league source.

Jackson had not been contacted by the team as of Friday afternoon, however.

The all-time winningest head coach in NBA championship history, with 11 titles to his name, has not coached since the 2010-11 season, when he walked away from the game after the Lakers were swept out of the second round of the playoffs.

He took last season off, in part to avoid the frustration associated with a lockout-shortened season and in part to improve his health. Jackson, 67, is "getting better and better" according to a source familiar with the rehabilitation process for Jackson, who underwent knee replacement surgery in March.

"He's been in tune with the Lakers' season and has kept an eye on the league," a source close to Jackson told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Jackson's presence has never fully left the Lakers. He still frequently stops by the Lakers practice facility to visit his longtime girlfriend, Jeanie Buss. Kobe Bryant often quotes Jackson maxims during news conferences. Even Jackson's two elevated chairs -- one he used at home practices and one the team took on the road for away games -- are still propped up against a wall by the entrance to the training room at the practice facility.

Should Jackson return to the Lakers, the feeling is from league sources that he would be interested in bringing along an assistant coach or associate head coach that he could groom to be his successor. Jackson feels like he owes much of his success to his longtime consultant Tex Winter, the architect of the Triangle offense, and he would like to pay it forward to another young coach. When Jackson spoke to Portland and Orlando about their head coaching vacancies this past offseason, a mentor arrangement was discussed in both situations, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

The coaching search is expected to be a swift one.

"It's not going to be a long process; that's for damn sure," a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com."But they're going to do their due diligence."

Added Kupchak: "The sooner the better. We don't have a timetable, quite frankly, because this happened so quickly."

While Jackson values the process of a going through a full training camp when taking over a team, a source close to the coach said that could be mitigated with the current Lakers' team because Jackson would be joining it with pre-existing familiarity with the roster, namely Bryant, Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace, who he coached to a championship in 2010.

Jackson is currently in Los Angeles and was seen sporting a mustache, the same facial hair look he went with when the Lakers first hired him in 1999, at a recent dinner.

Plus Magic going in on the Brown hiring and the frustrations of this young season.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8612087
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 008 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Phil will be back. I feel it too...

Postby vaylen on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:31 pm

If Phil doesn't happen, they need to hire Nate McMillian. He is a great coach and Portland was crazy to let him go.
vaylen

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:40 pm

When you think about it, it really does make sense that Phil would want to return.

It's something new for him. Another way for him to prove why he's the GOAT because he will get the opportunity to show he can win with Nash and a roster that wouldn't typically mesh with his basketball philosophies.

The last year with the Lakers in 10-11. That was a bore fest even for the fans, I think I watched fewer games that season than any other season. Everyone was just burnt out and Phil didn't feel at all like coming back.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA now
The Lakers have not reached out to the Pacers about the possibility of hiring associate head coach Brian Shaw, league sources tell Y!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:15 pm

i thought phil got hired when the site went down for a few minutes
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:20 pm

If Phil actually wants to come back here, you hire him yesterday. Not that analysts opinions mean a whole lot, but Stephen A said Phil makes the most sense, and Magic said he hopes our next coach is Phil. Magic went on and on about how he loves the Lakers, wants them to win, and is in a bad mood when they aren't, and he said he would hope Phil would come back. Magic might not be part owner anymore, but he's clearly a Laker for life and I'm with him here.

Also, if that can't happen, although he has no experience, I would not mind taking a chance on Shaw. He was a winner when he played, a tough player, clutch player, and smart player. He is also well liked with some of the key guys on our team (Kobe and Dwight for sure) and I actually think he'd command more respect than Brown even as a first year coach because he was an actual NBA player, won championships as a player and an assistant coach, he knows what it takes I think.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jordan-esque on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm

furiii wrote:So Phil Jax was apparently at the practice facility yesterday. Looks like he is joining the Lakers!

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-b ... -to-return

Sources: Key Lakers people want Jackson to return

Prominent figures with sway in the Lakers organization want the team to hire Phil Jackson to return and coach the team in the wake of Mike Brown's firing Friday after a 1-4 start, league sources told CBSSports.com.

The growing belief among supporters of a Jackson reunion is that Jackson is not only the best choice to rejuvenate the team's star-studded but struggling roster, but he may be the only choice that makes sense.

Jackson would have his choice of key former assistants, including Rambis, if his reunion with the Lakers became a reality.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby LOSLAKERS on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm

furiii wrote:So Phil Jax was apparently at the practice facility yesterday. Looks like he is joining the Lakers!

this seems legit...
LOSLAKERS

Postby themasterphil on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 pm

I f we cant bring Phil, i think this would be great option
HC: B-Shaw
Assist. Co: Kurt Rambis, Derek Fisher, Chuck Person
great team, they are familiar with the players and Kobe has a great respect for any of them
themasterphil

Postby GoldHammish on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:30 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i thought phil got hired when the site went down for a few minutes

That's what I thought too
GoldHammish

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion