Who Should Be The Lakers New Head Coach?

Who should be the Lakers New Head Coach?

Phil Jackson
58%
Mike D'Antoni
24%
Jerry Sloan
11%
Nate McMillan
1%
Mike Dunleavy
2%
Bernie Bickerstaff
1%

Total votes : 124

Re: COACH - ESPN: Lakers to reach out to Phil & D'Antoni (p.7)

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm

If we were going to fire Mike Brown, we should have done it before training camp. Now, no matter what, we will struggle through another transition, which means more losses while we implement a new system.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 pm

JGC wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:My memory of Phil is the team grossly underperforming going into the playoffs leading us to question when they were going to "flip the switch". They then proceeded to struggle mightily against NOH only to be swept by Dallas in embarrassing fashion. Our current roster is Cleary better and Phil demands some faith, but he isn't immune to his team under preforming. I love Phil and he has the championship pedigree, but I'm concerned.

Which team is immune to their teams under performing?

D'Antoni and Sloan have never won. I mean, taking EVERYTHING in to account, Phil is clearly the BEST option despite ANY shortcomings that might come with it.

No one is immune. For the first time ever, Phil had me wondering; has Phil lost it? Does he have one foot out the door with his retirement? I think, in fact, I'm confident that Phil will get it done this time around. I was just thinking out loud, not voicing my protest. I still prefer Sloan but i can't argue that now on my phone. This its tedious as hell, lol.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Punk-101 wrote:My memory of Phil is the team grossly underperforming going into the playoffs leading us to question when they were going to "flip the switch". They then proceeded to struggle mightily against NOH only to be swept by Dallas in embarrassing fashion. Our current roster is Cleary better and Phil demands some faith, but he isn't immune to his team under preforming. I love Phil and he has the championship pedigree, but I'm concerned.

To be fair, that team had been to 3 Finals in a row. They were older, tired/gassed, and I don't think the motivation was quite there like it had been. It wasn't Phil's fault that OKC was better and hungrier than the Lakers, wasn't his fault that Pau's game fell off a cliff that playoffs. I really think that team just didn't have the personnel overall to get it done either, other teams had passed us by. The only major criticism I have for that Phil coached team is that he could not get the new defensive system to work, can't remember if Chuck Person was in charge of that or not, but the team just could not get it. They talked about it all the time, but they never got it right, whether it was being an older, unathletic team, or like I said before, being gassed. It's not a great excuse, but hey Phil might have been gassed himself after 3 Finals and that rough season.

I'd also bring up that we got beat in embarrassing fashion to the Celtics in the last game of the Finals in '08, but Phil wasn't fired then and rightfully so, we came back and won the next 2. It happens to even the greatest coaches, even the Shaq/Kobe Lakers under Phil had some terrible playoff loses, I particularly remember that one game vs Indiana in the Finals where we lost by like 30. I don't think the team actually quit on Phil though, that's the difference, they just didn't have in them, Kobe was injured, Pau had some issues or something that destroyed his game, and the team just ran it's course. Phil is not perfect, you're right, but I wouldn't hesitate to take him back for a second. He'd get more out of our role players (I believe Meeks and Jamison would actually start doing well) than any other coach out there, and he'd have the respect of all our stars. There's almost no other coach out there I can see that would actually have the full respect from Kobe, Howard and Nash. That's not even mentioning that he'd HAVE Kobe, Howard and Nash, more talent than he'd have had in a long time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:28 pm

kray28 wrote:Phil is the only coach with the gravitas to command the total and full attention of all these superstars on this team, Dwight in particular, as he is the biggest diva of them all.

Pringles got pushed around and out by punk arse Melo. He also has this very petty and defensive air to him...not nearly as settled, mature, and self confidence like Phil is.

Sloan also has the gravitas. There's no question about that. Phil isn't quite as bullet proof as he once was after the way we went down against Dallas and struggled against NO. I'm not saying take Sloan over Phil, but Sloan has the gravitas. I also think he's hungry as he never got that ring. Again, I'm not saying he's hungrier than Phil. I'm just pointing out - he's got the gravitas, he has the hunger and he will take no prisoners. I like that.

Phil for me would be number one, Sloan number two. But D' Antoni shouldn't even be in the conversation unless those guys said no.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 pm

All true Punk, but that team was also burnt from the back to back run. Pau did not show up that last playoffs and he was our second best player. I also think Phil was dealing with some burn out at the time. He's had over a year off to recharge the battery and he has two new pieces in D12 and Nash that were not there in that Mav flame out.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Totally feel that weezy and TIME.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm not worried. The Lakers didn't fire Brown just to rush into a decision and hire someone without fully considering if he is the appropriate fit. If they don't think our roster can run in D'Antoni's system or if Nash won't fit in the triangle then they'll make the right decision.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:36 pm

James Worthy on the pregame show said he doesn't think D'Antoni should be the coach. The team is older and not the kind of team to be running and gunning.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 pm

For those worried about our defense, in Phil's 2nd tenure with Rambis in charge of the D, the Lakers were ranked in the top 6 in defensive efficiency outside of that first year (2005/06 season).

Also flame out in Phil's last run was attributed to the Lakers just running on E. We had gone 3 straight years to the Finals and with guys like Kobe and Pau, they did their thing during the summer with the Olympics and Fiba. I personally think, Pau looked so bad cause he just didn't have the legs and his game has definitely dropped off since we acquired him. Remember that when Pau first got to LA, his playoff experiences were all 1st round sweeps.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 pm

revgen wrote:James Worthy on the pregame show said he doesn't think D'Antoni should be the coach. The team is older and not the kind of team to be running and gunning.

Damn you Worthy, why do you always have to make sense.
OX1947

Postby kenzo on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 pm

OX1947 wrote:
revgen wrote:James Worthy on the pregame show said he doesn't think D'Antoni should be the coach. The team is older and not the kind of team to be running and gunning.

Damn you Worthy, why do you always have to make sense.

Lol, not always. He still thinks we shouldn't trade Bynum for Howard.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:47 pm

I echo all of the thoughts that Punk brought up.

We all like to forget that Phil was definitely out coached against Dallas in 2011. Yes the team was deficient, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Phil had definitely lost his general control of the team.

I think in a situation where he's more inspired and where the team is better he'll be more successful. But let's not forget that he wasn't perfect here.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby PiNOYLaKERSFaN on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:50 pm

It was reported that when PJ interviewed for some jobs last season, he was also interested in a mentorship with an up and coming coach that he can teach the triangle to.

He said that it was basically "paying it forward' from when Tex Winter took PJ under his wing and taught him the nuances of the triangle.

I think if PJ comes back, they should get Derek Fisher as an assistant coach and have PJ be his mentor. The Lakers need a young coach that can stick with this team for years and has championship pedrigee so why not groom one of our own?
PiNOYLaKERSFaN

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:I echo all of the thoughts that Punk brought up.

We all like to forget that Phil was definitely out coached against Dallas in 2011. Yes the team was deficient, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Phil had definitely lost his general control of the team.

I think in a situation where he's more inspired and where the team is better he'll be more successful. But let's not forget that he wasn't perfect here.

Yes, but the same thing happened in 2003 when San Antonio beat us, the team ran it's course, 3 Finals in a row, it was over. Then the next season we lost in the Finals with a retooled team, maybe even due to injury, but it was ugly as hell regardless, and he was fired, but did THAT mean we should never bring him back because he failed then? Of course not, he was brought back, got way more out of a crap team than he should have for a few years, was given a good enough roster in time, then won titles again. So he failed again one more time, I have to think with this new, better team, the same results would appear, more success. You can't win every year, no coach is perfect, but I'll just keep repeating myself, I'd take Phil back in a second.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey don't get me wrong, I think if he came back he'd do just fine. He's one of the few coaches that would rise to the occasion with a team like this.

My first choice is Sloan, then the D'Antoni/McMillan combo, then Phil. Only because if we're going to scrap the Princeton, then running the Triangle doesn't make a ton of sense either. I think it's adjustable and if Phil came back I'd be obviously ecstatic, just the way I'm looking at it right now.

It changes by the minute though, so who knows. :man10: Any of those combinations would likely result in this team's success.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 pm

By "D'Antoni/McMillan combo" do you mean McMillan as Pringle's assistant coach for defense? I don't know how that would work, doubt either of those guys would take an assistant position. I don't get the Sloan love at all, he lost his team in Utah as well, was fired because he lost his players, seems too much of a crack the whip guy for this team. As for D'Anphony, I can't believe anyone would want him as our coach ahead of Phil, I don't know what you were smoking or drinking tonight real, but you might want to cut back. :man12: This team needs a guy like Phil, a good mix of no nonsense but still somewhat laid back. He may have lost that 2011 team, but this is a whole different squad, he would have instant respect from Howard and Nash as his style would be all new to them. Ugh, Pringles though, don't want him anywhere near this team, settling for him would be so disappointing.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Weezy wrote:By "D'Antoni/McMillan combo" do you mean McMillan as Pringle's assistant coach for defense? I don't know how that would work, doubt either of those guys would take an assistant position. I don't get the Sloan love at all, he lost his team in Utah as well, was fired because he lost his players, seems too much of a crack the whip guy for this team. As for D'Anphony, I can't believe anyone would want him as our coach ahead of Phil, I don't know what you were smoking or drinking tonight real, but you might want to cut back. :man12: This team needs a guy like Phil, a good mix of no nonsense but still somewhat laid back. He may have lost that 2011 team, but this is a whole different squad, he would have instant respect from Howard and Nash as his style would be all new to them. Ugh, Pringles though, don't want him anywhere near this team, settling for him would be so disappointing.

I agree with you on D'Antoni.

My first choice would be Phil but if he didn't want to come back Sloan would be a great fit. Sloan was not fired from the Jazz he resigned. He was done dealing with prima donnas such as Deron Williams. With a veteran team like the Lakers he wouldn't have that problem. Plus, Sloan coached the greatest PnR tandem in NBA history and would be great for the Lakers as they transition away from the mess Brown created. Nash would done so well under his system. Sloan's teams have always played hard. I got to watch the Jazz for 10 years while living in Utah. He would do well with this team.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Hmm, I had that wrong on Sloan, thought he was fired, but yeah thinking back I remember now Deron and him couldn't get along and he just had enough. I wouldn't be opposed to him, but like somebody in an interview said today, his thing was PG/PF pick n roll, worked with Stockton and Malone because Malone could shoot, would not work with Nash and Howard because Howard can't shoot. I'd take Sloan 10 times out of 10 over D'Antoni though.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah I mean having both of them together. Kind of a Lakers/Team USA connection. I think that'd obviously work.

I don't want just D'Antoni for sure. I might consider just McMillan, but D'Antoni would make the offense really fun.

Like I said, my opinion changes by the minute. Like right now I think Phil would probably do a great job with this team. I'd love seeing an inspired Phil back on the bench, it'd be awesome. I think that'd be an odd pairing though of him and Nash.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Do people forget that during that Dallas sweep Kobe had 1 leg. Is that escaping people's memory
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Well, Phil and Nash wouldn't be an obvious combo, but I think it would work. Phil isn't so rigid he wouldn't let Nash do his thing, and some mediocre PG's have done very well under Phil, Fisher for one. And if Smush could put up the numbers he did under Phil, I wouldn't be worried for Nash, Phil isn't dumb enough to waste Nash like Brown was.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:26 pm

last stand wrote:Do people forget that during that Dallas sweep Kobe had 1 leg. Is that escaping people's memory

Not only that, but he had to carry us through the Hornets series on that one leg and was pretty much spent by the Dallas series. Also Pau was our 2nd best player on that team and his game was GONE.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Weezy wrote:
last stand wrote:Do people forget that during that Dallas sweep Kobe had 1 leg. Is that escaping people's memory

Not only that, but he had to carry us through the Hornets series on that one leg and was pretty much spent by the Dallas series. Also Pau was our 2nd best player on that team and his game was GONE.

Yep. Let's give the Mavs some credit too here. I haven't seen a team that hot in a long time, they were scorching hot.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby therealdeal on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Weezy wrote:Well, Phil and Nash wouldn't be an obvious combo, but I think it would work. Phil isn't so rigid he wouldn't let Nash do his thing, and some mediocre PG's have done very well under Phil, Fisher for one. And if Smush could put up the numbers he did under Phil, I wouldn't be worried for Nash, Phil isn't dumb enough to waste Nash like Brown was.

I keep hearing (mostly from the radio) that Nash would fit fine into the Triangle and that he'd be great at finding the spots and hitting the open jumpers off of spacing.

But that's EXACTLY the same things that hold true for a legitimate Princeton offense. EXACTLY the same concepts.

I'm not saying positive or negative to Nash with Jackson, I just am getting kind of tired of that idea. The two offenses are very similar and his responsibility in both of them is almost exactly the same. Nash fully integrated in the Triangle wastes his value just as much as the system we were just trying to run.

I don't have any concerns that Phil would make it work, none. I just don't like hearing the whole "Nash can fit into the Triangle" thing when those people were so quick to condemn the same idea for the Princeton.

That's the end of my rant.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion