Who Should Be The Lakers New Head Coach?

Who should be the Lakers New Head Coach?

Phil Jackson
58%
Mike D'Antoni
24%
Jerry Sloan
11%
Nate McMillan
1%
Mike Dunleavy
2%
Bernie Bickerstaff
1%

Total votes : 124

Re: Mike D'Antoni is your New Lakers Head Coach

Postby gill on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 pm

last stand wrote:for being dwights mouthpiece rudolph sure seemed to whiff on everything. who says he's still dwight's mouthpiece. are we calling him dwights mouthpiece in order to continue being chicken littles? i sure think so.

i really hate some of our fans right now. grow a damn ball sack for godsakes, get off your periods, your hormones are making this site and thread annoying

Vash i'm not talking to you, you've been level headed in your complaints, as with Rush and Lakerjones.

gill

Postby Tragic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:58 pm

kray28 wrote:Magic is just giving a voice to what is in my heart...what is in a lot of our hearts. But our voices don't have the credibility his does.

The optimists are thinking "How bad could it be? Give the guy a chance"

The rest...well they know the reality. The window is short, you need to win now, and Phil was the only one who could see it through.

Anyone else...all bets are off. This is not an indictment or even a criticism of D'Antoni, but he is not on Phil's level, he doesn't have the credibility to keep a superstar locker room together, not through the pressure and the adversity that is inevitably going to come.

I hope D'Antoni can do it....as a fan, that's my only hope, but 25 years of being a Laker fan...seeing the DNA of a championship team...I can tell it's not in the cards, not with D'Antoni. In life there are no guarantees, with Phil it wasn't a slam dunk either, but it was more probable than not.

The other thing...the elephant in the room, is keeping Dwight. Simply put, Phil keeps Dwight, Pringles, not so much. Again, I'm not saying for certain that Dwight wallks, but when his media/twitter mouthpiece reacts so angrily to the hiring...I only have to believe that Dwight is not happy with it, not when Phil was on the table too.

sigh
Tragic

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Magic Johnson signed onto Twitter, then wrote:The reason I haven't tweeted in 2 days is because I've been mourning Phil Jackson not being hired as the Lakers head coach.

Magic is going back to his playing days...he's going in...he is relentless....I like it! :man9:

Arash Markazi: Magic Johnson: "I love the Lakers but I feel they have made two critical mistakes in hiring Mike Brown and hiring Mike D'Antoni." Twitter @ArashMarkazi

Arash Markazi: Magic Johnson: "I love Dr. Buss but I don't believe in Jim Buss." Twitter @ArashMarkazi

It just has to be said....D'Antoni, I got nothing against the man. I wish him well...and that's obvious cause I want the Lakers to do well.

But why is D'Antoni even in this predicament?...its cause someone put him there. Someone mishandled this situation. So instead of fans unified for this hiring...we're divided.

But if we love our organization, we can't let shenanigans get in the way. Jimmy may do some good things and we know he does bad things...but the more he hears it, the more he makes an effort in righting the ship...towards a 'ship. He really needs to come correct for the fans. As much as Dr. Buss has given us, we've too given back to this organization. He can't just inherit the fans, like he inherited this organization. He needs to earn our support!

Classy move by Mike D...
On the half time show of the Clips vs Mia game, Magic said that Mike D called him to set up a meeting where they'll sit down with each other.

As I've been saying, Coach D is actually a really stand-up guy (that's why Phil told him to sit down :man12: ). Its the FO that really f'd this up for him. Fans collectively should be happy that Mike B got canned and Mike D came to takeover. Its just the introduction of Phil and then treating him the way they did was classless.

JVG said it best...why would they treat their own that way? Phil and Jeanie are supposed to be family. How could you treat family that way? One last thing that JVG said: the Lakers shouldn't be concerned about replacing the Princeton with Slowtime :man10: , they should be worrying about the defensive side of the ball. JVG was my 2nd option behind Phil....I would have loved his defensive approach with this team.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 pm

not Dantoni fault for getting the job, mgmt. is taking a big fat dump on everyone on this decision but its not like we can do much other then move forward, i'm certainly not gona start pronouncing a certain "other" owner as being better than ours thats for sure regardless of how much of a dick move this was. I have faith FO will redeem themselves, either with Antoni winning it or making future big name trades like they have countless other times.
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 pm

watching the clipper game and I can't believe we had CP3 for a couple minutes. unreal what he could do with the team we have now. with dantoni's system think he could be even better than Nash. can't wait to see Nash back 100% bc we need him ASAP. Clippers are really good this year and D'Antoni better help us be better bc that would just suck if we weren't on the court
Ariza3

Re: Mike D'Antoni is your Lakers Head Coach - Presser Thu @ 2:00

Postby Jordan-esque on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Reminder:

@EricPincus

Mike D'Antoni will be introduced by the Lakers on Thursday after 2pm (following practice)
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Re: Mike D'Antoni is your Lakers Head Coach - Presser Thu @ 2pm

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 am

Just like a lot of fans, Magic has an impression of how great Phil used to be but lets keep it real he didn't coach very well in 2010/2011, we had that one amazing 16-1 stretch but seriously you never felt was heart was in it. They had to pay him big to have him come back. Mitch made a trade for a backup C and he still ran Pau out there for 40+ mins a game when Bynum was out. Shannon was shooting 20% from 3 point land and he let him shoot 3s left and right, I could go on and on

We have Pau today, hes not playing like an All star but we're holding on to hope that he will turn back the clock and play like he did in 2008-2010. Phil isn't the same he was then and Pau isn't the same he was then.

The next best choice was MDA...I like Sloan a lot but Im not sure if he can handle the zoo here in LA with all the distractions and what not that goes on here.

MDA increases the value of players in our systesm and it favors Dwight and Kobe a lot...at the end of the day you want a system that makes your best players easy to do their best and MDA's system does that. It is extremely hard to teach the triangle in midseason

Instead of coming up with a defensive scheme to stop Dallas from hitting 3s he was saying this

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/05/08/jackson-needs-more-maverick-misses/54467/
After Game 1, during which the Mavericks hit 9 of 20, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he was “banking on” Dallas not continuing to shoot 45 percent from beyond the 3-point line. Jackson suggested the Mavericks would eventually come back closer to their regular season average of 36.5 percent.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:10 am

^In all fairness to Phil, no one thought that Dallas could shoot lights out all series. It was highly unlikely, and Phil was just playing the odds.

The more I think about the D'Antoni signing, the more I'm onboard. He and Nash are going to create an unstoppable offense for the Lakers, and we have enough defensive-minded guys to be decent defensively. Strangely, the best teams are ones with weak coaches, who claim to preach defense (Miami, us, Spurs, Thunder) but aren't really that good at team defense.

We definitely need to trade Pau, though. A couple of good shooters would be nice.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Magic Skywalker on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:14 am

I'm sorry, but did you just said Popovich is a weak coach?
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Johnnyboy on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:30 am

Didn't see this posted. Magic talking about his distrust of JIMMY boy
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ke-dantoni
Johnnyboy

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:44 am

Medias and fans are too busy talking about the head coach situation ... whereas I think a poorly fit roster for today's NBA remains a bigger pb ( Pau and MWP aren't poor fit + lack of speed on the perimeter)
wcsoldier81

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 am

i guess this is really not a dream. nba 2k13 updated the coach already:

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 am

"i waited this long to hear back from jimbo"
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 am

The Rock wrote:Mitch made a trade for a backup C and he still ran Pau out there for 40+ mins a game when Bynum was out. Shannon was shooting 20% from 3 point land and he let him shoot 3s left and right, I could go on and on. MDA increases the value of players in our systesm and it favors Dwight and Kobe a lot...at the end of the day you want a system that makes your best players easy to do their best and MDA's system does that. It is extremely hard to teach the triangle in midseason

Instead of coming up with a defensive scheme to stop Dallas from hitting 3s he was saying this

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2011/05/08/jackson-needs-more-maverick-misses/54467/
After Game 1, during which the Mavericks hit 9 of 20, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he was “banking on” Dallas not continuing to shoot 45 percent from beyond the 3-point line. Jackson suggested the Mavericks would eventually come back closer to their regular season average of 36.5 percent.

This. Last time phil was here, he failed us. I don't think his triangle is the best decision for this league and this team. He also isn't a defensive genius either. Kobe has admitted to this. dallas torched us, and as the rock's quote proves, jackson was totally wrong about them cooling down. Similar to how kobe seems to give his defenders a cushion because he doubts their ability. I think phil may have rubbed off on kobe in this respect. And lets not even forget how he was stubborn enough to continue to let our bigs switch on PnRs against new orleans. I literally just remember this. When I was watching it I remember screaming at the tv on why they keep switching our bigs on cp3. Only to find out jackson was ok with it. That may be the type of stubbornness that we dont need. It took us to six games vs a recovering chris paul and no one else in the first round. And it got us swept in the second.
King of Clutch

Postby MC on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 am

^
Phils last year with the Lakers came down to exhaustion..... both of the roster and it's coach. That in combination to a hungrier team with less mileage on it that got hot..... it's not like anyone slowed them down.... they roared thru the West and took it to a very athletic and talented heat team.

Phil is not a defensive minded coach........ his approach is to control pace and allow his stars to have a bigger factor on a slower paced game while trying to squeeze out what he can by spot bench players with a system that helps mask their overall basketball pedigree. That philosophy masks his deficiencies on the defensive end by controlling and slowing the pace majority of the time. That is essentially playoff basketball once it gets down to it..... if you are not good at more half court slowed down pace someone is going to beat you before the planned parade.

MDAs system amplifies defensive issues by increasing the pace IMO........ you have to have quick footed players that pride themselves on that end of the floor for MDA to match the type of play that will be needed to go where they want to go which is the finals. If they run that offense at a good to great efficiency they will mask their speed issues...... if they don't it's going to get really ugly because with the increased pace it will compound our defensive issues which is mostly because of foot speed and hustle.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby LakerFanIam on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 am

LakerFanIam

Postby nthydro on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 am

Will the press conference be on Sportnet? ESPN?
nthydro

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:22 am

MC wrote:^
Phils last year with the Lakers came down to exhaustion..... both of the roster and it's coach. That in combination to a hungrier team with less mileage on it that got hot..... it's not like anyone slowed them down.... they roared thru the West and took it to a very athletic and talented heat team.

Phil is not a defensive minded coach........ his approach is to control pace and allow his stars to have a bigger factor on a slower paced game while trying to squeeze out what he can by spot bench players with a system that helps mask their overall basketball pedigree. That philosophy masks his deficiencies on the defensive end by controlling and slowing the pace majority of the time. That is essentially playoff basketball once it gets down to it..... if you are not good at more half court slowed down pace someone is going to beat you before the planned parade.

MDAs system amplifies defensive issues by increasing the pace IMO........ you have to have quick footed players that pride themselves on that end of the floor for MDA to match the type of play that will be needed to go where they want to go which is the finals. If they run that offense at a good to great efficiency they will mask their speed issues...... if they don't it's going to get really ugly because with the increased pace it will compound our defensive issues which is mostly because of foot speed and hustle.

we were never a defensive minded team under Phil. We just buckled down and got the stops at the end when we needed to. I dont think we're gonna be like the Suns where we push the pace up and down like crazy, the bench might. Mike's system is mostly the Pick & Roll and creating shots off that.

Mikes teams in Phoenix never had great defensive players (outside of Marion and Bell), he had one in Tyson Chandler last year and they were a top 10 defensive team last year (Even before he got fired). This is a shot making league, if you make shots you'll survive....Heat gave up 98 points per game last year in the Finals and they still won it all

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 am

Hes apparently been at the lakers facility since 6.30 AM today

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am

I love how we have transpired over the last week or so of news.

See the first bit of news started with Brown getting fired so we were all like:

And for that long and then some.

Then when it jumped to Phil not getting hired we were all like:

And now every time we see Jim Buss's face we are like:

But currently it seems like the facts have sunk in and most people, when it comes to D'Antoni being the coach, are like:

The Laker Link

Postby Sirron on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am

:man10:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Does anyone have a streaming source for this?? I wanna hear what he has to say.
King of Clutch

Postby jOeyB7000 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm

King of Clutch wrote:Does anyone have a streaming source for this?? I wanna hear what he has to say.

I don't know about video streaming, but I'm pretty sure it will most likely be aired on ESPNLA radio. You can listen to it here:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play
jOeyB7000

Postby Sean on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:15 pm

jOeyB7000 wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:Does anyone have a streaming source for this?? I wanna hear what he has to say.

I don't know about video streaming, but I'm pretty sure it will most likely be aired on ESPNLA radio. You can listen to it here:

and they usually stream video on lakers.com
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby jOeyB7000 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Sean wrote:
jOeyB7000 wrote:

and they usually stream video on lakers.com

ok cool thanks. For some reason the videos on lakers.com never stream for me or the stream is really choppy.
Last edited by jOeyB7000 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jOeyB7000

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion