Who Should Be The Lakers New Head Coach?

Who should be the Lakers New Head Coach?

Phil Jackson
58%
Mike D'Antoni
24%
Jerry Sloan
11%
Nate McMillan
1%
Mike Dunleavy
2%
Bernie Bickerstaff
1%

Total votes : 124

Re: Mike D'Antoni is your Lakers Head Coach - Presser Thu @ 2pm

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm

The Rock wrote:
MC wrote:^
Phils last year with the Lakers came down to exhaustion..... both of the roster and it's coach. That in combination to a hungrier team with less mileage on it that got hot..... it's not like anyone slowed them down.... they roared thru the West and took it to a very athletic and talented heat team.

Phil is not a defensive minded coach........ his approach is to control pace and allow his stars to have a bigger factor on a slower paced game while trying to squeeze out what he can by spot bench players with a system that helps mask their overall basketball pedigree. That philosophy masks his deficiencies on the defensive end by controlling and slowing the pace majority of the time. That is essentially playoff basketball once it gets down to it..... if you are not good at more half court slowed down pace someone is going to beat you before the planned parade.

MDAs system amplifies defensive issues by increasing the pace IMO........ you have to have quick footed players that pride themselves on that end of the floor for MDA to match the type of play that will be needed to go where they want to go which is the finals. If they run that offense at a good to great efficiency they will mask their speed issues...... if they don't it's going to get really ugly because with the increased pace it will compound our defensive issues which is mostly because of foot speed and hustle.

we were never a defensive minded team under Phil. We just buckled down and got the stops at the end when we needed to. I dont think we're gonna be like the Suns where we push the pace up and down like crazy, the bench might. Mike's system is mostly the Pick & Roll and creating shots off that.

Mikes teams in Phoenix never had great defensive players (outside of Marion and Bell), he had one in Tyson Chandler last year and they were a top 10 defensive team last year (Even before he got fired). This is a shot making league, if you make shots you'll survive....Heat gave up 98 points per game last year in the Finals and they still won it all

I disagree Rock...and here's why. Miami had the athletes and youth to be an uptempo team. If you hold the opposing team to 98 points while you outscore them by nearly 10 (107), then for an uptempo offense, that's good defense. Miami was ranked 4th in the regular season and 5th in the playoffs in defensive efficiency last season. Outside of his 1st year as coach, Spoels has actually led Miami to being top 5 in defense both in regular season and playoffs. But you do need the right players.

D'Antoni started the 2011/12 campaign 18-24 and was ranked 11th in defensive efficiency (compared to Mike Brown's 13th ranking). Under Woodson, they went 18-6 and were 5th in defensive efficiency. So having the right personnel does contribute to good D, but look at the difference a defensive coach makes.

Lastly, Phil was known for the triangle, yet his defensive ratings were top 10. Like mentioned before, personnel changes that, but with guys like Parker, McKie, Slava, and Mihm, PJ earned 15th in defensive efficiency. Of course, when you replace them with guys like Fish, Ariza and Pau (2007/8 season) their defense improved:

2007/8: 9th (regular) 5th (playoffs) --> lost to "those guys" in Finals
2008/9: 5th (regular) 2nd (playoffs) --> won championship against Supes
2009/10: 5th (regular) 7th (playoffs) --> won championship and avenged ourselves against "those guys"
2010/11: 6th (regular) 12th (playoffs) --> disappointing flameout (Kobe played on one leg and this team was gassed coming off 3 straight Finals appearances)

If you consider that Bynum was either a rookie, injured or not 100% during our playoff runs, PJ and his coaching staff produced some really good defensive numbers. Also compare it to Brown last year who had an All-Star Bynum in the lineup and we were ranked 13th in both the regular season and playoffs.

I would say that Phil doesn't get enough credit on D, being that he's known as an offensive coach.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby ElginTheGreat on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
we were never a defensive minded team under Phil. We just buckled down and got the stops at the end when we needed to. I dont think we're gonna be like the Suns where we push the pace up and down like crazy, the bench might. Mike's system is mostly the Pick & Roll and creating shots off that.

Mikes teams in Phoenix never had great defensive players (outside of Marion and Bell), he had one in Tyson Chandler last year and they were a top 10 defensive team last year (Even before he got fired). This is a shot making league, if you make shots you'll survive....Heat gave up 98 points per game last year in the Finals and they still won it all

I disagree Rock...and here's why. Miami had the athletes and youth to be an uptempo team. If you hold the opposing team to 98 points while you outscore them by nearly 10 (107), then for an uptempo offense, that's good defense. Miami was ranked 4th in the regular season and 5th in the playoffs in defensive efficiency last season. Outside of his 1st year as coach, Spoels has actually led Miami to being top 5 in defense both in regular season and playoffs. But you do need the right players.

D'Antoni started the 2011/12 campaign 18-24 and was ranked 11th in defensive efficiency (compared to Mike Brown's 13th ranking). Under Woodson, they went 18-6 and were 5th in defensive efficiency. So having the right personnel does contribute to good D, but look at the difference a defensive coach makes.

Lastly, Phil was known for the triangle, yet his defensive ratings were top 10. Like mentioned before, personnel changes that, but with guys like Parker, McKie, Slava, and Mihm, PJ earned 15th in defensive efficiency. Of course, when you replace them with guys like Fish, Ariza and Pau (2007/8 season) their defense improved:

2007/8: 9th (regular) 5th (playoffs) --> lost to "those guys" in Finals
2008/9: 5th (regular) 2nd (playoffs) --> won championship against Supes
2009/10: 5th (regular) 7th (playoffs) --> won championship and avenged ourselves against "those guys"
2010/11: 6th (regular) 12th (playoffs) --> disappointing flameout (Kobe played on one leg and this team was gassed coming off 3 straight Finals appearances)

If you consider that Bynum was either a rookie, injured or not 100% during our playoff runs, PJ and his coaching staff produced some really good defensive numbers. Also compare it to Brown last year who had an All-Star Bynum in the lineup and we were ranked 13th in both the regular season and playoffs.

I would say that Phil doesn't get enough credit on D, being that he's known as an offensive coach.

I agree with Phil being an underrated defensive coach, but I think the point that Rock and others have made is also valid. We have the players here to be a solid defensive team. If Nate McMillan is signed, then I have even more faith that we can have a solid defensive team.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Source: Jerry Buss Made Call To Hire D'Antoni
Nov 15, 2012 2:40 PM EST

The decision to bypass Phil Jackson and hire Mike D’Antoni came from Los Angeles Lakers patriarch Jerry Buss, according to a source.

The elder Buss is no longer involved in day-to-day affairs and has transferred many of his former responsibilities to his son, Jim.

"Make no mistake about it, Jerry Buss made the final call on firing Mike Brown, passing over Jackson and ultimately deciding on D'Antoni," confirmed an NBA source who requested anonymity. "The management structure is a democracy up to a certain point; but when something very big comes up, Jerry makes the decision.

"That's not to say he overrules his guys all the time -- he doesn't. But if he disagrees, he uses his veto power to do what is in the best interests of his organization. He's overruled Kupchak and he even went against Jerry West sometimes. They would have animated discussions, and Dr. Buss would listen, then sometimes do what he wanted."

Via Joe McDonnell/FOXSportsWest
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby ElginTheGreat on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Finwë wrote:

The decision to bypass Phil Jackson and hire Mike D’Antoni came from Los Angeles Lakers patriarch Jerry Buss, according to a source.

The elder Buss is no longer involved in day-to-day affairs and has transferred many of his former responsibilities to his son, Jim.

"Make no mistake about it, Jerry Buss made the final call on firing Mike Brown, passing over Jackson and ultimately deciding on D'Antoni," confirmed an NBA source who requested anonymity. "The management structure is a democracy up to a certain point; but when something very big comes up, Jerry makes the decision.

"That's not to say he overrules his guys all the time -- he doesn't. But if he disagrees, he uses his veto power to do what is in the best interests of his organization. He's overruled Kupchak and he even went against Jerry West sometimes. They would have animated discussions, and Dr. Buss would listen, then sometimes do what he wanted."

Not to fan the flames on the whole who is to blame argument, but I do have a hard time believing Jerry would sit back and let Jim make a series of calls this big.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Finwë wrote:

This absolutely confirms what I thought. It isn't a surprise to me that Jerry would be making the final decision on this or even that he would choose D' Antoni over Phil.

The big problem is the way this hire was run and how the fans were led to believe one thing when basically it was never going to happen.

It also doesn't absolve Jim because he was the guy running all of this regardless of what the decision was going to be (or probably already was), or who was going to have the last say on it. And this was run incredibly poorly. They did Phil pretty dirty and the fans as well. Again, the decision bothers me much less than the way it was handled.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 pm

I believe that report because Jerry West himself has confirmed during his tenure that Dr. Buss has gone against his wishes in terms of personnel decision, West was not in favor of PJ hiring from what I recall and it was Dr. Buss who overruled him on that hiring.
khmrP

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:13 pm

No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:13 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Jordan-esque on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:17 pm

^ Nice!
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Sirron wrote: :man10:

Was that for me or something else?
The Laker Link

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 pm

master and pupil reunited
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby scissors on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:24 pm

D'Antoni is gonna get his first of many rings here.
scissors

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Finwë wrote:

Magic comes out and says what he wants....then this comes out today.

PR reasons...This kid is hiding behind Kobe and now needs Pops to shield him. Kobe and Jerry have high approval rates in LA...its their town....its a good technique, but I ain't buyin it.

What they needed to do, they didn't do. So now just go out and win and the rest will fall into place.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:36 pm

i forgot that dantoni buried jordan hill on the bench while he was in new york. hopefully they have no bad blood seeing as how hill is our best bench player.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby therealdeal on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:39 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Image

^
should be phil in those pictures laughing with kobe and pau

:man6:
432J

Postby jOeyB7000 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Damn he's out there coaching on crutches today

jOeyB7000

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Sean wrote:
jOeyB7000 wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:Does anyone have a streaming source for this?? I wanna hear what he has to say.

I don't know about video streaming, but I'm pretty sure it will most likely be aired on ESPNLA radio. You can listen to it here:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play

and they usually stream video on lakers.com

THANKS!!!
King of Clutch

Postby Weezy on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Who's the guy with Nash in the bottom picture and laughing with Hill, is that Dan D'Antoni ?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:41 pm

The other dude is Mike's brother, right?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:45 pm

yea thats dan d'antoni
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby jOeyB7000 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:The other dude is Mike's brother, right?

I think so. It's kind of hard to tell because of the angles of the pics but check out his coach profile on nba.com:

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/dan_dantoni/index.html
jOeyB7000

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
Finwë wrote:

Magic comes out and says what he wants....then this comes out today.

PR reasons...This kid is hiding behind Kobe and now needs Pops to shield him. Kobe and Jerry have high approval rates in LA...its their town....its a good technique, but I ain't buyin it.

What they needed to do, they didn't do. So now just go out and win and the rest will fall into place.

Yes, this is clearly Jerry falling on his own sword in order to protect his son. I get that. It's the fatherly thing to do. However, if there weren't such an adversarial relationship with Jim and Phil, I think that he would have chosen Phil once again. They aren't going to dredge that up here. But that was clearly an issue and that was the wedge I thought would keep this from happening. Again, nothing about Jerry making the final call here exonerates Jim from the way this was all handled. That part was his job and it's a complete mess. Jerry can take try to deflect the blame from his son, but I think the damage has already been done, yet again.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Shadow on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:52 pm

I wish everyone would just move on completely. I wanted Phil Jackson as our coach again but Mike D'Antoni it is and we must be supportive of that. Anybody but Mike Brown or Mike Dunleavy. Personally I believe in D'Antoni and I think he might surprise a lot of us.
Shadow

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:56 pm

If we did sign Phil and that SAME report came out from Joe McDonnell and it said Jerry made the decision to hire Phil over Jimmy, he would be getting praised and that article would be 100% truth.....

Report is out that Jerry made the decision to hire MDA and it's all conspiracies, lies and cover ups.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion