Why aren't we going after Tyrus Thomas?

Re: Why aren't we going after Tyrus Thomas?

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm

actually he's probably worse than "suck" when a SUCKY team like the Boobcats dont want you anywhere near the team even when you're one of the highest paid player on said team, you gota be doing really terrible things off the court too.
khmrP

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:07 pm

khmrP wrote:actually he's probably worse than "suck" when a SUCKY team like the Boobcats dont want you anywhere near the team even when you're one of the highest paid player on said team, you gota be doing really terrible things off the court too.

They've had lottery picks every season since forever.. They have no shortage of young athletic players.. TT has a much better chance of making the rotation on a team of unathletic vets like ours than he would in Charlotte.
lakersin4

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:10 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:actually he's probably worse than "suck" when a SUCKY team like the Boobcats dont want you anywhere near the team even when you're one of the highest paid player on said team, you gota be doing really terrible things off the court too.

They've had lottery picks every season since forever.. They have no shortage of young athletic players.. TT has a much better chance of making the rotation on a team of unathletic vets like ours than he would in Charlotte.

those young athletic bigs of theirs suck too
khmrP

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

We're the Lakers. We routinely turn everyone's trash into treasure. Charlotte already had guys like him in Biyombo and , which made him expendable. We can debate on TT's worth all day long. Fact is, the roster as is does not have an intimidating presence defensively that we are accustomed to having. Get used to seeing Westbook, Paul, Parker, Golden State and Denver blow by us for uncontested layup after uncontested layup.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 pm

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:We're the Lakers. We routinely turn everyone's trash into treasure. Charlotte already had guys like him in Biyombo and , which made him expendable. We can debate on TT's worth all day long. Fact is, the roster as is does not have an intimidating presence defensively that we are accustomed to having. Get used to seeing Westbook, Paul, Parker, Golden State and Denver blow by us for uncontested layup after uncontested layup.

They're going to do that regardless though. We just don't have anyone who can come close to stopping that from happening and I don't think Thomas is the answer to that. If he was, don't you think he'd see more time in Charlotte of all places?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:27 pm

khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

Really? Cuz I'd take Biyombo over any big we have besides Pau, & would probably even take him as part of a Pau package with Jennings.
lakersin4

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:We're the Lakers. We routinely turn everyone's trash into treasure. Charlotte already had guys like him in Biyombo and , which made him expendable. We can debate on TT's worth all day long. Fact is, the roster as is does not have an intimidating presence defensively that we are accustomed to having. Get used to seeing Westbook, Paul, Parker, Golden State and Denver blow by us for uncontested layup after uncontested layup.

It didn't stop them when we had Superwoman, it's not going to change now.

The defense starts with the team and ends with the team.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:31 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

Really? Cuz I'd take Biyombo over any big we have besides Pau, & would probably even take him as part of a Pau package with Jennings.

Biyombo is garbage. All he can do is block shots, but he goes for EVERYTHING so he fouls a lot. He doesn't rebound at a great rate and he doesn't have much offense to speak of.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Shadow on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 pm

At one point he was fun to watch.. One of my favorite moments from TT..

Shadow

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
khmrP wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:

Biyombo is garbage. All he can do is block shots, but he goes for EVERYTHING so he fouls a lot. He doesn't rebound at a great rate and he doesn't have much offense to speak of.

I don't think he's garbage, just raw.. He rebounds at a decent rate, grabbing 7.3 in 27 MPG. His 1.8 BPG is impressive.. He's only 20 years old, I think it's crazy to say he's garbage at this point.. He's roughly 5 PPG, .2 RPG, & .4 BPG away from the numbers Ibaka put up at the same age with the same minutes played & none of the offensive firepower around him to make things easy.
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm

^^^^ ditto.

Not sure how anyone can write him completely off just yet. The garbage title is only in relation to his high draft place/talent. In a smaller role, I think he could still thrive as a good bench big man off the bench. A poor mans Tyson Chandler.

If someone wants to make the argument that there are better fits for what we need, then I agree. But as a big off the bench for seldom/sporadic mins, I think Tyrus is a good option.
Center Court

Postby Punk-101 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:50 pm

He could be for us like Birdman was for Miami, no?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:08 pm

lakersin4 wrote:I don't think he's garbage, just raw.. He rebounds at a decent rate, grabbing 7.3 in 27 MPG. His 1.8 BPG is impressive.. He's only 20 years old, I think it's crazy to say he's garbage at this point.. He's roughly 5 PPG, .2 RPG, & .4 BPG away from the numbers Ibaka put up at the same age with the same minutes played & none of the offensive firepower around him to make things easy.

Are you talking about the same Biyombo that I am?

The Sophomore in Charlotte?

His averages in 27 minutes per game: 4.8 points/ 7.3 rebounds/ 1.8 blocks right?

I'm sorry, but if you watch the kid play you can see he's just not good. He's a younger DJ Mbenga. Not any recognition of offense, he sometimes seems to be allergic to putting the ball in the basket. He's undersized for a Center at 6'9" and he shoots less than 50% from the field.

I started paying attention to him because of fantasy basketball and seriously he's the most inconsistent player out there because 1) he can't score 2) he's undersized and 3) because of the first two, if you box him out he can't rebound well either.

He's not good.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51 pm

I would not trade for our best big who happens to be expiring next season, for a scrubby shot blocker in Biyombo. Charlotte fans are livid that this guy is struggling big time, unable to rebound, and getting lost in summer league right now. Against scrubs.

I'm glad Mitch is GM, and not you guys, or the Lakers would be looking a lot like the Lolcats right now. What next, trade Henderson for Kobe? DO IT MITCH.
Frank Dux

Postby Phil XI on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Frank Dux wrote:I find it extremely amusing that people think he's a steal for the vet minimum. He's garbage at any price, and there's a reason why he's still available- He's not an NBA rotation player.

This
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion