Why I Believe The Lakers Will Win The Championship

Why I Believe The Lakers Will Win The Championship

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 pm

Here's why I believe the Lakers will win the championship this coming season.

I think when you look it the biggest reason I believe this team will win the championship this season is because of Steve Nash. This guy is gonna make life so much easier for everyone around him especially Kobe Bryant. Remember how frustrated we were last year when nobody could take the ball out of Kobe's hands consistently and make plays? That's not gonna happen anymore. Now Kobe can play his natural position and play off the ball. Kobe even said he's like a receiver now. Nash is our quarterback. Kobe will get so many easy baskets especially out on the break. In the half court teams will have a tough decision. If you double Kobe you leave Nash wide open and if you do that he'll make you pay.

Nash has made a living of making average role players look like above average players. In Phoenix he made several guys into All Star caliber players and once they left Phoenix they were never the same again. If Nash can make guys like Amare and Marion look like stars can you imagine what he'll do with Kobe? Kobe has NEVER played with a great point guard like Nash. His entire career he basically had to be the main playmaker. The last couple of years he's had alot of responsibility which quite honestly wore him down. Won't happen anymore. Nash will be the play maker, he'll set Kobe up who can now just focus on doing what God put him on this Earth to do. Score the basketball. Expect his efficiency to increase heavily. A big problem against OKC was Russell Westbrook didn't have to play any defense. Now he'll have too.

World Peace is gonna play a big role in this offense. He's gonna be that floor spacer that we need. He has to hit shots and I think we will. I say his media day photo and he looks great. He struggled at the beginning of last season, but once he got in basketball shape he was terrific. Averaged 13 points in April and shot a decent percentage too. I fully expect that to happen again because he's in good shape and he'll be getting aton of open looks. Teams will dare him to shoot he's just gotta make him pay.

Now let's talk about Dwight Howard. I gotta admit I was wrong about this young man. I thought he didn't wanna be a Laker, but clearly that isn't the case. Mr. Howard I apologize. He has made it very clear he loves the beautiful city of Los Angeles and being a member of the greatest franchise in sports. He's not going anywhere. Dwight has obviously been very dominant on both sides of the basketball his entire career, but I believe his biggest impact will definitely be on the defensive end.

While Bynum was a very good defender and at times great he was nowhere near as mobile, athletic, or consistent as Dwight is and has been. Obviously Nash isn't a very good defender and going up against all the fast and athlete point guards he'll face you would expect he can't stay in front of them. If/ when that happens no big deal Dwight will be right there to back him up and protect the paint. One of the things that killed us a against Oklahoma City was our pick and roll defense. Russell Westbrook just destroyed us. Bynum wasn't mobile enough to challenge Westbrook's shots and then get back and protect the pain. Howard is. Westbrook and other guards may still score, but it'll be much harder against Dwight.

Offensively we know what he can do. Sure he may not be a great and super skilled offensive player like Kareem, Wilt, or Shaq was, but he's so damn athlete it doesn't matter. He'll be getting several lobs from Nash and how will teams stop it? Good luck to them on that. Although he may not have a great postgame he is much better than he was when he faced us in the 2009 Finals. He's developed a nice running hook shot and he even has a nice little jumper. He'll be getting so many garbage points off put backs. He should shoot well over 60 percent.

Now let's discuss the bench. Last year we were deadlast in points off the bench along with the lowly Bobcats. Now you insert a terrific scorer like Antawn Jamison. Even at age 36 he was still a near 20 point scorer. Granted he had a poor efficiency, but he was forced to be a go to option and at this stage of his career he's simply not that. Now he'll get the chance to play with multiple superstar who will no doubt get him several open looks. Then you add in Jodie Meeks who can also spread the floor which is something we desperately needed and also re-signing Jordan Hill and the Lakers will have a much better bench this season. Is it great? Maybe not, but when you have such an incredibly talented starting five you don't need a great bench.

I think when you look at the two teams that could potentially beat us. Miami and Oklahoma City. Let's look at Miami.

The defending champions who have improved their roster from last season, but they still have no size at all. Who is suppose to guard Howard? No one on their roster can. Which means they have to finble which will lead to many open looks. Kobe and Wade is a wash, as is Pau and Bosh while Nash and LeBron both have major advantages. Miami has always struggled with good point guards and we have one of the best. Their bench is better than ours, but our starting lineup is far better IMO. I'm not saying we'd beat them decisively like in a sweep, but I do think we'd win. We're a horrible matchup for them.

Let's look at the Thunder. Now obviously they have Kendrick Perkins who has guarded Dwight well in the past so they won't double team. That could be a problem, but I firmly believe Dwight if healthy is simply too athletic for Perkins to handle and he's a much better offensive player than he was when the two last met in the postseason. World Peace now is in much better shape and he'll obviously guard Durant. Will he stop him? Of course not, but I do believe he can do a better job than anyone else in the league.

Westbrook will still have his way with Nash, but at least now he has to play defense. If and when he gets past Nash he has to meet up with Dwight at the rim. He's not gonna have a hard time finishing over Howard. We don't really have an answer for Harden, but surprisingly he wasn't much of a factor against us last season. All in all having a guy like Dwight who can protect the much better if/when Durant and Westbrook get past their man attack the rim, having a much improved bench, having Nash who will make Westbrook play defense, and last but not least you still have Kobe Bryant.

I think if we can just stay healthy we'll win the championship.
Last edited by Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Texas Lakers Fan

Re: Why I Believe The Lakers Will Win The Championship

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm

V1n5anity wrote:Image

Of course you didn't. If you're not gonna add anything relevant then why post in the thread?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby v1n5anity on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 pm

edit

Baiting won't be tolerated..strikemode14
v1n5anity

Postby thkthebest on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Perkins' man defense won't be that relevant in the series. Sure, Dwight can take Perkins one on one, but why would we do that when Perkins struggles to guard the pick and roll? OKC's problem will be trying to guard the Nash/Dwight pnr.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby v1n5anity on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

thkthebest wrote:Perkins' man defense won't be that relevant in the series. Sure, Dwight can take Perkins one on one, but why would we do that when Perkins struggles to guard the pick and roll? OKC's problem will be trying to guard the Nash/Dwight pnr.

Perkins was very effective guarding the pick and roll as indicated by Synergy Sports stats. Perkins held the pick and roll screener to 0.76 ppp (21st rank) on about 36% FG last season.
v1n5anity

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:31 pm

V1n5anity wrote:Image

Not at all.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:31 pm

thkthebest wrote:Perkins' man defense won't be that relevant in the series. Sure, Dwight can take Perkins one on one, but why would we do that when Perkins struggles to guard the pick and roll? OKC's problem will be trying to guard the Nash/Dwight pnr.

Exactly. Dwight won't be playing much one on one ball unless he's got really good position, and if that happens he'll likely posterize whoever is guarding him. We have so many options on this team, especially with the pick and roll.
XXIV

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Over/Under All-Star Break before we see a flip-flop thread on this very subject?
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Over/Under All-Star Break before we see a flip-flop thread on this very subject?

Again if you have nothing of substance to add then don't post in the thread. It's not hard really.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Hacked or not?
kenzo

Postby Tragic on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 pm

:man10: :man10:
Tragic

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:05 am

Are you guys actually gonna add anything to this discussion or just make useless posts?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 am

Its always nice to read something optimistic (and this year, we actually have a good reason to be).

It's a shame to see all the trolling in a post were someone took the time to write so much.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:15 am

Magic Skywalker wrote:Its always nice to read something optimistic (and this year, we actually have a good reason to be).

It's a shame to see all the trolling in a post were someone took the time to write so much.

It really is frustrating and thanks for not being one of them.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby John3:16 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Here's why I believe the Lakers will win the championship this coming season.

I think when you look it the biggest reason I believe this team will win the championship this season is because of Steve Nash.

I think Nash is gonna be a GREAT addition, but ultimately, I still believe we win because of Mamba. I agree with you that getting the ball out of Kobe's hands is vital and running some pick and roll with the bigs with Kobe on the other side of the court will keep him fresh, but again, Kobe is still driving this bus as far as we're gonna go.

World Peace is gonna play a big role in this offense. He's gonna be that floor spacer that we need. He has to hit shots and I think we will.

I love your enthusiasm. However, I'm hoping he just takes the open shots in the flow of the offense and focus' on D. As bad as he was early last year, he was 180 from that in the playoffs and our 2nd best player against both Denver and OKC. I don't expect anything more then 8 - 10 points per game. If he provides that, we're good to go.
Dwight has obviously been very dominant on both sides of the basketball his entire career, but I believe his biggest impact will definitely be on the defensive end.

Agree. I just wonder how he'll react to getting limited touches on offense like Bynum got. I felt the last 2 years that Bynum didn't get the ball enough. I hope that's not the case with DHoward.
Bench: Insert a terrific scorer like Antawn Jamison. Even at age 36 he was still a near 20 point scorer. Granted he had a poor efficiency, but he was forced to be a go to option and at this stage of his career he's simply not that. Now he'll get the chance to play with multiple superstar who will no doubt get him several open looks. Then you add in Jodie Meeks who can also spread the floor which is something we desperately needed and also re-signing Jordan Hill and the Lakers will have a much better bench this season. Is it great? Maybe not, but when you have such an incredibly talented starting five you don't need a great bench.

I'm excited about what they can do. I think Meeks is gonna surprise some folks. A lot of folks! We just need Jamison to be aggressive, which is something he's not lacking in. he'll get his FGAs.

Miami.
The defending champions who have improved their roster from last season, but they still have no size at all. Who is suppose to guard Howard? No one on their roster can. Which means they have to finble which will lead to many open looks. Kobe and Wade is a wash, as is Pau and Bosh while Nash and LeBron both have major advantages. Miami has always struggled with good point guards and we have one of the best. Their bench is better than ours, but our starting lineup is far better IMO. I'm not saying we'd beat them decisively like in a sweep, but I do think we'd win. We're a horrible matchup for them.

I don't agree that Kobe and Wade is a wash. Kobe is the better player and with the added talent around him, the gap between these 2 will be even wider. I completely agree with your last sentence. Miami wants no part of us. Screamin A. Smith has said several times that our real obstacle is OKC because we really match up well with Miami. LeBron's drives to the basket will result in us running the other way once DHoward gobbles up the rebound or blocked shot.
Let's look at the Thunder. Now obviously they have Kendrick Perkins who has guarded Dwight well in the past so they won't double team. That could be a problem.

I don't think Perkins can handle him one on one at all. He had to front Bynum. We had no PG that could throw it over the top to Drew. Not gonna be a problem for Nash.
I think if we can just stay healthy we'll win the championship.

Yup. That's the main obstacle. And Mike Brown of course. :man9:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFANwithaBRAIN on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:14 am

I think Nash is gonna be a GREAT addition, but ultimately, I still believe we win because of Mamba. I agree with you that getting the ball out of Kobe's hands is vital and running some pick and roll with the bigs with Kobe on the other side of the court will keep him fresh, but again, Kobe is still driving this bus as far as we're gonna go.
I know I am NEW here...but trust me...I am NOT a new Laker fan...

WHY do you still believe that Kobe STILL controls this team? WHY? He proved last season he was not capable of carrying that weight anymore and he CEMENTED that at the Olympics!!!

Kobe has a HUGE role on this team....but running the bus...NO LONGER!! He is STILL the leader..but he MUST learn to step down and step down QUICKLY and gracefully!! No more rants if others don't make wide open shots...no more tantrums!!

IF this team is going to be successful (CHAMPIONSHIP) then Kobe HAS to secede OWNERSHIP...to EVERYONE else (with DH in FOCUS)

Coach K showed him he no LONGER had what it took to dominate...or should I say...Kobe showed Coach K he NO LONGER had what it took to dominate...but whatever it is...those of us who do NOT wear Kobe colored glasses...know reality...Kobe's time as king of the NBA has passed...time to secede and live in reality...and HOPEFULLY win himself a SIXTH!!!

Kobe SAYS that a sixth ring is his priority...lets hope he has the sense to make that happen. ONLY Kobe CAN make that happen...he is an incredibly intellectual individual...here is HOPING!!! :jam2:
Last edited by LakerFANwithaBRAIN on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LakerFANwithaBRAIN

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 am

LakerFANwithaBRAIN wrote:
I know I am NEW here...but trust me...I am NOT a new Laker fan...

WHY do you still believe that Kobe STILL controls this team? WHY? He proved last season he was not capable of carrying that weight anymore and he CEMENTED that at the Olympics!!!

Kobe has a HUGE role on this team....but running the bus...NO LONGER!! He is STILL the leader..but he MUST learn to step down and step down QUICKLY and gracefully!! No more rants if others don't make wide open shots...no more tantrums!!

IF this team is going to be successful (CHAMPIONSHIP) then Kobe HAS to secede OWNERSHIP...to EVERYONE else (with DH in FOCUS)

Coach K showed him he no LONGER had what it took to dominate...or should I say...Kobe showed Coach K he NO LONGER had what it took to dominate...but whatever it is...those of us who do NOT wear Kobe colored glasses...know reality...Kobe's time as king of the NBA has past...time to secede and live in reality...and HOPEFULLY win himself a SIXTH!!!

The point John was trying to make is this is still Kobe's team and it will be till he retires. Just because he's sacrificing a little bit and changing his game doesn't matter it's not his team. He's simply doing what it takes to win a championship. At the end of the day he's still gonna be the guy we go to in the fourth quarter and he's gonna have to close games effectively if we're to win the championship which I believe he will.

Kobe isn't what he used to be, but he's still still a legit superstar and one of the five best players in the world despite what those clowns over at ESPN say.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LakerFANwithaBRAIN on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:45 am

I NEVER said it wasn't Kobe's team...that would be CRAZY talk...

But somtimes you as a LEADER need to know when there comes a time when it isn't ALL about YOU...

I am HOPING Kobe has figured this out!!!
LakerFANwithaBRAIN

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 am

LakerFANwithaBRAIN wrote:I NEVER said it wasn't Kobe's team...that would be CRAZY talk...

But somtimes you as a LEADER need to know when there comes a time when it isn't ALL about YOU...

It's been said several times and I aluded to it in my post, but Kobe said when the trade for Nash went down and I quote "I'm in my natural position now of scoring the basketball. I can play off the ball more now". He also recruited Nash to L.A. Why would he do that if he wasn't willing to sacrifice his game a little bit for the bettermen of this team?

Kobe will do whatever it takes to get that sixth championship. I firmly believe that. It's gonna be a fun, fun ride. Go Lakers! :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby LakerFANwithaBRAIN on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
LakerFANwithaBRAIN wrote:I NEVER said it wasn't Kobe's team...that would be CRAZY talk...

It's been said several times and I aluded to it in my post, but Kobe said when the trade for Nash went down and I quote "I'm in my natural position now of scoring the basketball. I can play off the ball more now". He also recruited Nash to L.A. Why would he do that if he wasn't willing to sacrifice his game a little bit for the bettermen of this team?

Kobe will do whatever it takes to get that sixth championship. I firmly believe that. It's gonna be a fun, fun ride. Go Lakers! :jam2:

DAMN...I pray you are right!!

My concern is NOT Nash...not even CLOSE!!!

My concern with Kobe is with Howard. HOW is he going to handle it when the press is all ABOUT Howard and NOT Kobe.

Can he handle it?

THIS is what concerns me the most...how does Kobe deal with handing ownership to someone else?

IF he gets it right...maybe TWO chips..if not...EPIC FAILURE!!!
LakerFANwithaBRAIN

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 am

^ He handled it pretty well with Shaq why would it be different now? Big difference now is the relationship between Kobe and Dwight is much better than it was between Shaq and Kobe.

Kobe and Dwight are like brothers will Kobe obviously being the big brother. They won a Gold Medal together and have been close pretty much since Dwight entered the league. Both these guys are very hungry. Dwight is still searching for that first ring while Kobe aiming for his sixth championship. These guys are great competitors. They'll do whatever it takes to win this title.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:10 am

I Agree Nash Will Be the Biggest Piece with Howard too Nash Will Make Great Passes And Really Open up The Defence for easy Baskets so no more forcing it like last season we can how a better flow to our offensive flow and overall game.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Forklift on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:29 am

another thing is because Kobe can play off the ball he won't be as gassed in the 4th quarter. It's like sooo much easier playing off the ball than having to out dribble or post up the defender. Unless you play like Reggie where you just run around like crazy through all these off screens :man10: .
Forklift

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 am

Forklift wrote:another thing is because Kobe can play off the ball he won't be as gassed in the 4th quarter. It's like sooo much easier playing off the ball than having to out dribble or post up the defender. Unless you play like Reggie where you just run around like crazy through all these off screens :man10: .

Yeah it'll be nice to see Kobe actually have gas left in the tank to perform in the fourth quarter. That's been the big problem the last few years. He's just had too much responsibility which has led to him not having enough energy to consistently close games effectively.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby dmaul on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Can't argue with any of your points. I want to be optimistic too and the only two things I can see derailing this team is lack of chemistry/cohesion and injuries. Not really worried about the first one as these guys are all veterans who I believe will know and accept their role.

It's not like the 96-97 Laker team which also had a pseudo-super team feel with Shaq joining a roster loaded with young up and comers Van Exel/Jones/Ceballos/Campbell + Kobe. They were too immature and inexperienced. It's not like the 03-04 Laker team with Malone + Payton added to the Shaq/Kobe mix. They never really gelled and were plagued by internal squabbling. Started to put it together toward the end but were derailed by Malone's injury.

I like that Coach Brown is humble enough to add very capable assistants and let them take the helm from time to time. I really like the coaches they've added and that Brown is open-minded enough to try different things. But the most important thing is to spread the minutes, give everyone enough time to spare Nash and Kobe's gas tank for the end game.
dmaul

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion