Why Coach K must take his talents to the NBA (Laker related)

Why Coach K must take his talents to the NBA (Laker related)

Postby MusixFinest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:24 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1299081-why-coach-k-must-take-his-talents-to-the-nba

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Mike Krzyzewski has served as the head coach for the Duke Blue Devils since 1980, winning four NCAA Championships and appearing in the Final Four 11 times.

If that's not an iconic legacy, then no such thing exists.

With so much already accomplished at the collegiate level, it's understandable, and perhaps appropriate, that we wonder what he could do at the next level. More than a few pro teams would also like to find out.

With Coach K leaving behind his similarly successful role as head coach of Team USA, is it finally time for him to leave Duke behind while he's at it?

After all, he's proven in that Olympic capacity to be more than capable of working well with the NBA's biggest egos. Surely, he could do the same with a club like the Los Angeles Lakers, or even Clippers—assuming such a club were interested in his services, of course.

Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
But who are we kidding?

If Mike Brown doesn't take the even more star-studded Lakers all the way this season, we might just see Duke force him to take the job for the good of all humanity. Krzyzewski said he wouldn't be interested in the job back in 2011, but admitted he'd been tempted (via ESPN L.A.'s Arash Markazi):

"I've never thought of ever leaving Duke for another school but there were three serious times where I almost left to go to the pros," Krzyzewski said. "One was when Dave Gavitt took over the Celtics [in 1990], another was with the Trailblazers [in 1994] and the one that I took to a really far level was the Lakers situation. They were great with me. I just could not give up what I've done and gotten at Duke. It just wasn't worth it."

Coach K was referring to a deal he was offered by GM Mitch Kupchak in the summer of 2004. If he was tempted by an organization in flux, he might find himself unable to say "no" given the much-improved state of today's Lakers.

Who better to see out the waning years of Kobe's career than a guy who's no stranger to coaching his teams to the very top?

Bob Donnan-US PRESSWIRE
It's not that he has anything to prove. We all know he could be successful at the NBA level whether he ever actually coaches a game at that level.

On the contrary, it's that Krzyzewski has already proven everything that he can at the college level.

He's still just 65 years old and could easily spend four or five years leading the way to one more dynastic chapter for the Purple and Gold. The other Los Angeles team might be a less attractive destination, but bringing Coach K into the fold just might sell Chris Paul on sticking around.

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
Whether Krzyzewski could be sold on the arrangement is another question. The Lakers seem like the more probable destination, especially given Mike Brown's relatively rocky start to the post-Phil Jackson era.

Of course, any talk about specific gigs is a bit premature. For now, the important point is simply that the guy should make the jump while he still can.

He'll never look back and wonder what more he could have done for Duke. He's already done more than enough, and even the most faithful of leaders should be able to accept they have gone above and beyond their obligations to lead.

Other teams need leaders too.
MusixFinest

Re: Why Coach K must take his talents to the NBA (Laker related)

Postby 432J on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:26 pm

its not gonna happen

coach k is never leaving duke
432J

Postby davriver290 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 pm

no.... he's a college coach...
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby MusixFinest on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:33 pm

davriver290 wrote:no.... he's a college coach...

...who coached Team USA to two gold medals, in convincing fashion, I might add.
MusixFinest

Postby BDG on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Regardless, not trying to experiment right now to see if a college coach works at the NBA level.

We're in win-now mode.

I know he coached Team USA, but let's be honest -- that team won because of its great talent, not brilliant coaching strategy.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm

That would be too easy for the Lakers. Phil and Coach K would be the #1 ideal coach for this team right now, but Phil is a hell of a lot more likely than Coach K.

If only the NBA Gods loved us THAT much. Dwight was a lot of love. Coach K right now is so much love it is ridiculous.
The Laker Link

Return to Lakers Discussion