Why does Malone need Payton to sign for him to come on board

Why does Malone need Payton to sign for him to come on board

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:30 pm

This whole Malone and Payton signing is so overwhelming, I can't help but think that it is too good to be true. So what I really wanna know is what's the catch. For some reason I feel like there is some hidden conspiracy involved in all of this.

Firstly, Malone has no real type of history with Payton. If it was John Stockton on the other hand, I could understand the Mailman's request more clearly. Secondly, wouldn't Payton be a potential scoring option threat further delaying his breaking of the record. Especially with the bulk of the points and touches going to Shaq and Kobe, why would Malone request a scoring guard and not a passing guard like possibly A. Miller (from the Clips).

It makes me feel like either Malone is too good to be true or his agent and him are up to no good. He would be a saint to be this humble by not asking for more money and just being contempt with a ring. It would really shatter every opinion I ever had about the guy. But what if there is some hidden agenda that will only surface next season when it is already too late. He's old, but he's still not looking for job security and a hefty retirement, by asking for a multiyear multibill contract. So what is the deal with Malone needing Payton to sign for him to sign...its driving me crazy. If you all have a conspiracy theory or any type of proof that explains this weird signing clause then please come out with it, cause I'm goin crazy just thinking about how this is just too good to be true. :man3: :man4: :what: :freak2: :scurred: :spineyes: :panic2: :yikes:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:23 pm

Come on now. I know Malone will come to L.A. regardless of what Payton decides to do. It's a great idea (Thanks to the ZenMaster) to have him say that to attract Payton. This is looking better and better every day... Don't worry, it's just a way to get Payton to come... It's great and I'm loving it.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:13 am

The only reason Malone wants to wait on Payton to sign is that he wants to go to the team with the best chance of winning it. And a team with the line-up of-Shaq, Malone, Kobe, Payton have a better chance of winning it than just Shaq, Malone, Kobe. He wants to know for sure before the season start that he will get a ring come end of playoffs, and if that means waiting on Payton then so be it, let him wait. I think we will be unstoppable next year, and everyone is starting to realize this. Look for S.A. to add a big man and a PG to try and contend with us. I don't care if they sign J. O'neal and Kidd they still won't be able to beat us.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:05 am

I don't even think Kidd is on his way to S.A. If I was their GM, I would put the money into a big guy...

Anyways, In my personal opinion, Malone is in L.A. already, it's just a way to attract Payton.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:30 am

Let's say, hypothetically, that we don't sign Payton and the Spurs sign Kidd. I just have this feeling that Malone will focus on the Spurs since they have a better chance of winning the title with Kidd a Spur and Payton not a Laker.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:33 am

Not me. Malone will also have a better shot at the scoring title in L.A. than the Spurs would... Just a thought.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Neumatics on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:33 am

Wrong. As I understand it, here is the reason he is waiting. Malone has agreed to the veteran's minimum IF and ONLY IF it helps the Lakers sign Payton. If the Lakers miss out on Payton, he wants the mid level exception. So they are waiting on payton to see which contract Malone takes.
Neumatics

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:36 am

Could be a possibilty.

Can you give me the article internet address that states that exact statement you made?
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:15 pm

Well according to this article: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... nba-lakers
Payton and his agent want to work out a sign and trade with the Lakers, so in that case our MLE would still be free right? This is good and this could be bad, because I don't want Malone wanting the MLE now, since Payton wouldn't be using it. Secondly we would be losing someone through a trade to bring in Payton, and it would be cool to just keep everyone intact while picking up Payton. However the good things with a sign and trade is that we will lose players (which would range from 2-3 and possible future draft picks) which would free up the MLE to sign another FA or FAs to fill up the roster. So if Malone signs for the LLE, and we acquire Payton through a sign and trade, we could either use the full MLE to attract Howard or Brown (since all they want to do is win and their only concern for bling bling is from a championship ring) back into the picture or split the MLE two ways or more to attract the likes of Lue, Pippen, Pike, Daniels, Odom...just to name a couple. This would fill up the roster positions we would be losing in the trade, ie. Fisher, Fox, Slava, Pargo, Rush, maybe even Walton and/or future draft picks. And don't forget we still have the two vet. min. contracts we could still offer the older FAs.

So my ultimate question to all of you is would you all prefer a sign and trade to almost guarantee that we will land Payton, Malone (if he still signs for the LLE), and still a very high profile FA (ie Brown or Howard) for the MLE or that we don't lose anybody in a trade and just get Payton with the MLE?

And if we do trade for Payton, what potential package of players do you see being traded for Payton and which players would you not want to be traded?

Also what FA's would you then want to bring in for the entire MLE, or splitting the MLE and don't forget the two vet. min. contracts we can still offer? Get creative guys and have fun with it!
Last edited by Vasashi17 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:57 pm

See I just don't believe that... I just don't.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:28 pm

I guess it can be possible. Slim possibilities do exist in this world. For that condition to work, it has to work in both sides of the table.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby ZenMaster on Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:39 pm

Definitely a "NO" for the sign-and-trade.

We'd be giving up too much...PLUS the expansion draft is coming (we can only protect 8 players). So we'd be back in the same boat we were in last season...no bench, and if anyone gets hurt, we'd be screwed once again.

Let's hope GP has backed off his sign-and-trade requests and will just join with us outright.....
ZenMaster

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:32 pm

Guys, I understand what your arguements are about the sign n trade, but does anyone know for sure that if there was a sign n trade, would we still have the MLE? I just wanna make sure that we would still have the MLE, cause if we wouldn't after the sign n trade then I could see where all of you are comin from. But if we still had it, all we would be losin in the trade is possible Fox, Fisher and or Slava and if we had the MLE, we could definitely get a top gun FA for that, especially if we already had malone and payton. What FA wouldn't wanna still get paid 5 million and be a part of history, with the names we will showcase on that team. No offense to any of your opinions, but i definitely would think it would be worth it to pull the trigger on a trade IF and ONLY IF we still had the MLE still available after the trade. If not, then i'm definitely with you guys and Payton should just stop frontin and sign for the damn MLE.

But just to satisfy my curiousity, if anybody knows if we would still have the MLE to play with after a sign n trade then please holla back.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Neumatics on Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:36 am

I seriously don't know how all of you got it in your head that Malone said he will only sign if Payton does. Here are some quotes from the LA times.

"Malone, it appears, has made the Lakers the perfect offer: his services for as low as the veteran's minimum exception ($1.5 million for the first year), or whatever rate they agree would be necessary to top off their roster with Payton. It is possible the offer is dependent on the mid-level money going to Payton. If not, the Lakers could split the mid-level to improve their depth in the backcourt and sign another front-court player, perhaps Robert Horry, or use the entire mid-level exception for Malone. The Lakers also could lose Malone if Payton declines their offer."

That says clearly that he will only take vet min if it helps them get payton. Otherwise he will want the mid level.

or:

"Meantime, Laker management is not only ecstatic over Malone's decision to forgo a larger contract to make room for Payton, but pleased Malone appears to have chosen the Lakers over other interested organizations, such as San Antonio. In a gesture reminiscent of superstar Andre Dawson's blank-check signing with the Chicago Cubs 16 years ago, Malone has told the Lakers he would play for whatever fit their budget, assuming it facilitates the signing of Payton."
Neumatics

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:34 pm

Thank you Neumatics, I'm thinking where your at :man11:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:20 pm

Well this only came up in the news cause Malone must have wanted Payton to sign in order for him to come on board. I guarantee, once Payton's agent says its a go for Payton to be suited up in the purple and gold next year, you will hear reports of Karl Malone jumpin on board too. That is the reason we haven't heard from Malone in a while cause he's waitin on GP's decision. So i think Malone's signing is definitely related to GP and his decision.

But does anybody know the answer to this question: If there is a sign and trade (which I really don't see happening now) do we still have the MLE to spend on other FA? I'm not saying its going to happen, but just as a hypothetical scenario.

By the way did you hear that Peeler was waived by the Bucks today...what are your thoughts in bringin him back?...I really think he would wanna be back. Aside from his age, he wouldn't be a bad pick up off the waiver wire.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby pltan on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:40 pm

Neumatics is right, from the majority of articles I've read, it appears Malone is only waiting for Payton to decide what he himself will accept from the Lakers. i.e. if the Lakers get Gary, Karl will take the vet's min, but he'll try for more cash if Gary goes elsewhere.
pltan

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:45 pm

But the Nmeumatics first cite from the LA times says that if Payton doesn't sign, we could lose malone too. And from the looks of it folks, Payton is going to drag this out even further. His agent said that they would try to get an answer to Mitch in 48 hours, but a local seattle radio station said, that Payton is not ready to commit to the Lakers and wants to work out a possible sign and trade with the blazers to remain in the northwest, which makes sense cause his roots are up there from his seattle days.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Neumatics on Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:40 pm

i've seen nothing like that. Why would payton's signing have anything to do with Malone's desire to play for the Lakers? Give me a break....if we get Malone, the championship is as good as in the bag. Period. If we get Malone and Payton....overkill. The bulls 72 win record could be in some serious jeopardy
Neumatics

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:38 am

The Latest on Payton and Malone: http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... nba-lakers

Well, guys you are right about Malone not depending on the Glove to sign, but it looks more and more like a S&T is going to happen and the Glove wants to come to LA...there's no doubt about that...but he wants to get paid in the process.

I know you guys are opposed to a S&T, but if it were to happen who would you include in the deal. I really want Payton to come on board and I don't mind losing Fisher or Fox along with a scrub like Slava or even Rush in the process. Agree or disagree...you guys have any better ideas?

And one more question...can anybody tell me why Payton is actin like a trick? Jump on board already..[Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:45 am

For all you guys that keep saying Malone and Payton are not a packaged deal and neither of them need each other to sign with LA in order for the other to sign too, please read this:
http://www.pe.com/sports/lakers/stories ... 57826.html

Don't doubt this Payton, LA is where you belong dogg. And he will belong if this article is true. In the daily news: http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413 ... 08,00.html Malone reports that he is going to sign regardless of Payton's decision, which means that the tables have turned. If Malone signs then Payton will sign in light of these new reports. I just hope we get some type of domino effect going, I don't care who starts it, as long as both of them finish it in Laker uniforms. Please let this happen tomorrow, I am personally getting fed up with it...all i want is some type of verbal agreement...thats all i really want at this point. After that, I just want the days to fly by so that the 16th can get here faster. This [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] is takin foreverrrrrrr..............DAMNNN :man5: :bang: :man2:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:49 am

How interesting...A S&T just might happen to land Payton...check it out:
http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/20 ... 340529.txt
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby HndsmCelt on Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:36 pm

Part of Malones hesetance may be an evaluation of how his style of play does or does not fit the current Lakers roster. Malne has spent his entire career playing with the PG in in the game, living on the pick and roll and perfectly timed passes. He may not want any part of D Fish and the "Pick and Roll Over"
"We suck at rebounding"
Brad Miller
HndsmCelt
Clublakers Rep: Sac Kings

Postby Laker brain on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:28 pm

If we don't get GP, we'll still win, it isn't like he will get 20 shots a game, we'll be missing out on his Defense, even though he is not as quick as he once was. It's not like he is still the glove, to be honest, Parker, Francis, Marbury, and Kidd did get the better of him last season. GP on the Lakers gives us size at the point, and a scoring option, he also has good defense, but he still gets burned in my opinion.... I hope we get him, because he's three times better than what we have.
Todays minimum is yesterdays maximum!
Laker brain

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:38 pm

Hey, guys we just got verbal agreement from Payton that he will accept the MLE next year..... :man13: Just go to Espn and it'll be on the top right corner of the home page. Can you believe this...Malone is definitely going to follow and I doubt they'll back out from this agreement now, cause it just won't be popular to the public if they do.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion