Why doesn't Kobe develop a floater?

Why doesn't Kobe develop a floater?

Postby worldjunction on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I've seen him do it, but very rarely. As he loses his explosion over the coming years, I think him developing a great floater would really benefit his game. With his size and skill, he could get in the lane and hit that floater all day long. I don't see how you could defend it.

Also, it minimizes the hurt to his body AND reduces the chances of the refs ignoring him being hammered. He could just drive into the lane and float it over anyone.
worldjunction

Re: Why doesn't Kobe develop a floater?

Postby bystander on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Because he is a lazy mofo
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby jonnyshevanel on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:09 pm

bystander wrote:Because he is a lazy mofo

This. Come on Kobe, work harder >:O
jonnyshevanel

Postby icencream27 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm

When time comes, he'll add it

ONLY KINGS HAVE RINGS
icencream27

Postby DHL on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby theforumblue on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:20 pm

he'll simply use it if and when he wants to. he just doesn't want to at the moment. too many other toys that are more fun.
theforumblue

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm

I miss early in the season when Kobe was getting almost all of his points in the paint. Too bad Gasol had to come back and ruin all of that :man9:
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Chopper on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:28 pm

because floaters dont get you to the line. If you drive, go hard to the hole and get the foul and the basket if possible. We have enough flip shots from Gasol to reach our limit of softies! :man9:
Chopper

Postby thisbjgz on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:30 pm

i don't think there's anything Kobe can't do, he doesn't do anything that surprises me anymore.

i'll believe in his all around offensive game, so whatever he feels like doing, i believe that's the best shot he has in his mind.
thisbjgz

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 pm

You mean the guy that can shoot with both hands in either direction inside the paint? That guy?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Sirron on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 pm

I love Floaties, just not in the bathtub.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby nameant on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Seems like every time he does a floater it's with his left.
nameant

Postby worldjunction on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:15 pm

There is a reason why guards use floaters. It ofen enables them to get off a shot when otherwise they would not have been able to. The reason why it works is that it takes the defenders by surprise. Before they can get into postion for a block, the shot is already off.

Kobe... who gets screwed by the refs, would benefit from a floater. Instead of slamming into a triple team, he could just float a shot over it (benefit of a floater is that you don't have to set your fee to shoot). It would lead to easy baskets in tight situations. You could throw out as many smart [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] comments as you want. A floater would be an unstoppable weapon in Kobe's hands.
worldjunction

Postby Dr. Octagon on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:17 pm

worldjunction wrote:There is a reason why guards use floaters. It ofen enables them to get off a shot when otherwise they would not have been able to. The reason why it works is that it takes the defenders by surprise. Before they can get into postion for a block, the shot is already off.

Kobe... who gets screwed by the refs, would benefit from a floater. Instead of slamming into a triple team, he could just float a shot over it (benefit of a floater is that you don't have to set your fee to shoot). It would lead to easy baskets in tight situations. You could throw out as many smart [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] comments as you want. A floater would be an unstoppable weapon in Kobe's hands.

You should email him.
Dr. Octagon

Postby bystander on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 pm

They answered you already, kobe can shot them but it's better for now to try to draw fouls and you don't get those with floaters.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby worldjunction on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:26 pm

And I said that Kobe get's screwed by the refs. Until recently, he wasn't drawing many fouls.

Also, it is important to mix things up. It keeps the defenses guessing. If a defender thinks Kobe is going to put up a floater, he might leave Pau or Bynum that much sooner. The more weapons the better.

"Their" answer sucks.
worldjunction

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:37 pm

worldjunction wrote:There is a reason why guards use floaters. It ofen enables them to get off a shot when otherwise they would not have been able to. The reason why it works is that it takes the defenders by surprise. Before they can get into postion for a block, the shot is already off.

Atleast know the reason why certain gaurds use the floater. PG's use it because it helps them get the ball over the taller frontline players. They also use it to avoid the contact that normally comes from attacking. Kobe is 6-6 (ish) he already gets extension and height over any of his defenders. He also wants the contact because he wants to get to the line. It doesn't matter if the refs are calling it or not Kobe is going to attack and get the contact. More importantly he has better shots in his arsenal than a floater. More importantly their is nothing that says Kobe doesn't have it in his arsenal.

So if you are going to say people are making smart *** answers its because once again you created a off the wall criticism thread of Kobe. Again.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Barnstable on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:56 pm

I'd rather see Kobe develop a hook shot in his golden years.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 pm

It never hurts to add another solid dimension to your game. Yeah, as Kobe loses his explosion and vertical, there will be times when a well timed floater will enable him to get off a shot against a bigger man. Kobe has been getting rejected regularly of late at both near the basket and on jump shots. And that pretty much has to do with his declining vertical.

But this is nitpicking to the nth degree. Kobe is probably the most skilled basketball player EVER in terms of just pure skill.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Kobe had added Hakeem's post game, Michael's Fade Away Jumper, Tim Duncan's Bank Shot, left handed shot, I forgot what else. Now, Kobe needs to add Kareem's Hook Shot, James Worthy's spin move and the Floater to his game! :man1:
Kobe8Fan

Postby from714to402 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't think Kobe really needs a floater. I'm sure if he wanted to, he could pull it off on a regular basis, but he really doesn't need it.
from714to402

Postby revgen on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Because he has a pullup-jumpshot.

Which is even harder to master than a floater and even more effective.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 pm

I honestly think if Kobe started using a floater people would complain and say he should take it stronger to the rim. I'm also pretty sure he has a floater already, but mostly short pg's who have to use that shot are the ones that do, and you don't get to the foul line with floaters. He probably doesn't use them though, because he hasn't needed to, his regular jumper from 5 feet or so is already effective enough.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm

from714to402 wrote:I don't think Kobe really needs a floater. I'm sure if he wanted to, he could pull it off on a regular basis, but he really doesn't need it.

As long as he doesn't eat too many fatty foods, and makes sure to get plenty of fiber in his diet; Kobe could pull off some nice floaters on a daily basis.
MadMax

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm

He should learn the Tim Hardaway crossover
puffyusaf#2

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion