Why Mitch Kupchak is a good GM

Why Mitch Kupchak is a good GM

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 am

It's a long read, but super informative. Basically takes you down a walk through memory lane, from 2001 to now. Lots of graphs:

http://jorkvsbball.blogspot.com/2012/12 ... -from.html
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Re: Why Mitch Kupchak is a good GM

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 am

Wow. I didn't know you had a blog.

Bookmarked.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby cleverdevil on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:25 am

Fantastic read. Super informative. I have to admit I had to read it twice, since I am a little slow on the uptake. I like how it is a statistical representation of not only Mitch but the team as a whole and numbers to back up how we may feel about the makeup of the squad (too reliant on vets past their prime).

I have always felt that what makes Mitch the best GM is his ability to not only bluff against himself* but also his ability to throw caution at times**

*I'm not much of a poker player but I have always found that there always comes a time during a bluff when the other side doesn't bite when you want them to and you want to just throw it away and not take a loss, but having the patience to stay strong through that moment usually pays off.

**When I used to pitch in high school, I was too reliant on throwing strikes over the heart of the plate, the advice that turned it around was my pitching coacb telling me "if you are afraid to walk someone, you will never strike anyone out".
cleverdevil

Postby Alcindor on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm

How about for dodging a huge bullet in Bynum and turning it into Howard? Everytime I hear about Bynums knees I think "phew, ty Mitch"

Bynum is having surgery yet again. Gotta wonder now if this guy is ever going to play again.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/90683 ... eport-says
Alcindor

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

How about dodging a huge bullet with Dwight apparently very unhappy in the early months of being a Laker, and not panicking when it looked like he very well could be planning to walk and trying to trade him at the deadline, but instead saying ALL the right things to the public media about not trading him and to Dwight personally that really seems to have turned him around at the All Star break. "Trust me" included.
LTLakerFan

Return to Lakers Discussion