Will Phil change the offense?

Will Phil change the offense?

Postby ELF on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:43 pm

It was interesting that GP, Malone, and Magic stated that this year the lakers will play and more upbeat offense. GP even mention that he thinks the lakers can score 20pts off of the fast break every night.

This tell me two things: The expect us to be a better defensive team in order to get those opportunities to run. And, Phil has mention to both that he will open up the offense.

What are your thoughts?
ELF

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:51 pm

It said in the papers that Phil talked to both GP and Malone about the offense, the defense, and possible line-ups and positions they could play...Phil will definitely be for fast-break ball cause you are right ELF you cant get them unless you are great on D. Getting easy points and bringing Showtime back i think would be welcomed by everybody...except an out of shape Shaq....but now he's training and in every interview on the radio or in the paper he brags about his training and how the Diesel is going to come back and just roll over everybody...so its gonna be exciting to see a running game next year with Shaq blocking shots or Malone intercepting low post passes and outletting to either GP or Kobe and then Malone and Shaq sprinting and filling in the lanes....we are going to get exciting lobs and showtime passes, but just in case a lob is blown or a dunk is clunked, Shaq will run back and clean it up off the board....Next year is just going to be incredibly exciting, both offensively and defensively...hopefully no one gets hurt and they will be known as...The Greatest Show on Wood!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby ELF on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:54 pm

Well put Vasashi17! I agree totally. What a scary thought for the league, the Lakers fast breaking and the Big Aristole running the lane. That's punishment man, that's not fair. LOL
ELF

Postby lakers frizzo on Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:01 pm

if shaq returns to top shape or better when will we lose our first game? or will we lose a game? no double or triple team this year so the spotlight is on shaq!!!
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:05 pm

Thanx ELF, but even with an overweight Shaq it wouldn't be fair...the game would slow down, but still be dominated by the Lakers...can you imagine us in a half-court set...i know its been said before, but who the hell would you double off of. I don't care who we play at SF, no team would be stupid to double off of anybody in our starting five....we'll see plenty of the zone early, but once we tear that up, it'll be back to good ol' one-on-one We are going to be unstoppable next year, especially after what Malone and Payton said at the press conference...they just want to destroy everybody...starting from exhibition games :bow:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby MediaBlitz on Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:08 pm

Well...Phil stuck with the triangle when he didn't have the tools to run it properly (2 superstars and a bunch of people who couldn't hit the ocean) why would he abandon it now that he has the IDEAL team to run the triangle (5 threats on the court at once)?

The triangle was never an offense meant to be ran by 2 scorers and a bunch of defensive roleplayers who couldn't shoot. It is a free flowing offense meant to put it's team in a position to get a wide open shot from one of it's players each time down the court. The triangle is meant to run with 5 serious scoring threats on the court. That is when it is at it's most effective. I'm surprised we havn't heard Tex come out of retirement....this is his dream team for sure.
MediaBlitz

Postby echo nation on Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:11 am

phil can and probably will stick to the triangle...

but seriously... with the fab4 in the floor, does he really have to have any system?

lol
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:16 am

We will see new parts of the triangle that we havn't seen... Like a modified triangle. Because with Payton and Malone, we can run fast breaks, and you know Phil has a chapter in his winning book about the triangle related to fast breaks...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe's Empire on Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:01 am

its good...we can have a damn good fast break team....and when we need sure buckets to slow down the game.......we just hammer it into heavy duty daddy diesel in there and let him go to work. BOOYA

I still hope Kobe and Shaq lead the NBA with scoring...even though tcrap will go up there because all he does is shoot. but Imagine........

Kobe-30
Shaq-25
GP and Mail- 20 a piece
a few here and there equals 105
Kobe's Empire

Postby echo nation on Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:29 pm

i wouldnt put those numbers pass them... its totally possible with the team averaging 120 hahaha

that will only happen if they run a lot more often
Just A Saturday Away
echo nation

Return to Lakers Discussion