WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Road Wins? Not Today (6-7)

Postby JGC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:04 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
JGC wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Have Dwight sit with an injury as many games as it takes to build up Pau's value. Or just tell Dwight spend all his energy on rebounding & playing D. Pau still has it in him to string together some nice games, we just can't be greedy, take the best offer we can get the next time his value is up. If given minutes at C in the right situation, I think people know Pau can put up 18-19 & 9 on good %'s. I'm fairly sure we can get a young athletic foward like George or Batum for him & swap some other pieces out. I can really see us going in that direction, since it's obvious Jamison/Hill can hold down PF & Jamison as the starter compliments Dwight more.

Why do I get the sense the only reason you think Pau can put up 18/9 on a good percentage is because you're trying to sell? You're like that guy in fantasy that tries to pawn off a guy who sucks! Haha.

I don't really see Pau fitting in anywhere with maybe the exception of San Antonio.

I could see a swap for Batum working for Portland if they feel like they can win now. Him & LMA would make a beastly frontcourt where Pau could be the main post option. Indiana works if they can get something good for West. Pau hasn't fallen off that much, I don't see why him putting up his normal numbers is such a stretch for you, especially on any team willing to make him their main post player.

His normal numbers are currently 14 and 9. I'm not saying Pau couldn't be a nice piece on some other teams.

But you're going to have to try harder than "beastly frontcourt" if you want someone to pay $40M for someone who is currently at 14 and 9 and fading fast.
JGC

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 pm

You don't play D , you don't beat the best teams and won't win many games on the road ... simple as that ... lack of quickness , mobility and on top of that not caring about this side of the Ball ( Kobe)

The worst thing : I don't think it's fixable ... most of our players are too slow for today's league but this is a pb the FO hasn't taken care of since the Dallas sweep 2 seasons ago
wcsoldier81

Postby dj vitus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 am

JGC wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
JGC wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Have Dwight sit with an injury as many games as it takes to build up Pau's value. Or just tell Dwight spend all his energy on rebounding & playing D. Pau still has it in him to string together some nice games, we just can't be greedy, take the best offer we can get the next time his value is up. If given minutes at C in the right situation, I think people know Pau can put up 18-19 & 9 on good %'s. I'm fairly sure we can get a young athletic foward like George or Batum for him & swap some other pieces out. I can really see us going in that direction, since it's obvious Jamison/Hill can hold down PF & Jamison as the starter compliments Dwight more.

Why do I get the sense the only reason you think Pau can put up 18/9 on a good percentage is because you're trying to sell? You're like that guy in fantasy that tries to pawn off a guy who sucks! Haha.

I don't really see Pau fitting in anywhere with maybe the exception of San Antonio.

I could see a swap for Batum working for Portland if they feel like they can win now. Him & LMA would make a beastly frontcourt where Pau could be the main post option. Indiana works if they can get something good for West. Pau hasn't fallen off that much, I don't see why him putting up his normal numbers is such a stretch for you, especially on any team willing to make him their main post player.

His normal numbers are currently 14 and 9. I'm not saying Pau couldn't be a nice piece on some other teams.

But you're going to have to try harder than "beastly frontcourt" if you want someone to pay $40M for someone who is currently at 14 and 9 and fading fast.

How can his "normal" numbers be "currently" x and x? "Normal" means whatever they have been the past several years, and that's 17 and 10. His "current" numbers aren't "normal." I'm sure Portland would use him in the low post a LOT more than we do (definitely more "beastly" than an LMA/Hickson combo), but I don't see Portland dealing with us anyway.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:35 am

No matter the excuses, it's frustrating to have such a good team "on paper", while we sucking so much on the court.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Alleyhoops on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 am

Under .500 with a soft schedule played mostly at home. Is it conceivable that this team may actually struggle to just make the playoffs?
Alleyhoops

Postby themasterphil on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:49 am

This is just sad how this team perform and play away games.....it just look like they are not interested out there and they dont want to play....when I see how Pau play I cant blame anyone else for this....Howard at least have some blocks and make some fine assists......in this moment I would accept to trade Pau for some depth...for example trade him to Cats for Thomas and Gordon....Gordon can score, Thomas can make some boards, yes I know his IQ is like temperature on Grenland but who cares, Pau dont contribute with anything right now, or Boozer maybe, he can make some mid-range jumpers and play better defense
themasterphil

Postby denimPortugal on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:00 am

Alleyhoops wrote:Under .500 with a soft schedule played mostly at home. Is it conceivable that this team may actually struggle to just make the playoffs?

:disagree:

The evidences...don't lie. :mad1:
denimPortugal

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:39 am

themasterphil wrote:This is just sad how this team perform and play away games.....it just look like they are not interested out there and they dont want to play....when I see how Pau play I cant blame anyone else for this....Howard at least have some blocks and make some fine assists......in this moment I would accept to trade Pau for some depth...for example trade him to Cats for Thomas and Gordon....Gordon can score, Thomas can make some boards, yes I know his IQ is like temperature on Grenland but who cares, Pau dont contribute with anything right now, or Boozer maybe, he can make some mid-range jumpers and play better defense

No, Boozer is like Pau, but without the IQ. There is nothing more hated now on Illinois than Carlos Boozer, and it's understandable. He is just like Pau on defense (meaning: he doesn't play on that end). His midrange is not really reliable, and he can't pass.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:05 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:You don't play D , you don't beat the best teams and won't win many games on the road ... simple as that ... lack of quickness , mobility and on top of that not caring about this side of the Ball ( Kobe)

The worst thing : I don't think it's fixable ... most of our players are too slow for today's league but this is a pb the FO hasn't taken care of since the Dallas sweep 2 seasons ago

I think this team is capable of great D but you can't expect Kobe to play both sides of the ball full out every game. I think that is unrealistic. When the team is struggling to score Kobe saves his energy on D so he can contribute more on O. You could tell he was frustrated last night because he once again carried the load.

D is about effort and you have to remember that the Lakers did quite well against an explosive NJ Nets team. The problem is when the rest of the team doesn't show up then guys change how they're playing in order to conserve energy.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby JGC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:33 am

dj vitus wrote:
JGC wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
JGC wrote:

How can his "normal" numbers be "currently" x and x? "Normal" means whatever they have been the past several years, and that's 17 and 10. His "current" numbers aren't "normal." I'm sure Portland would use him in the low post a LOT more than we do (definitely more "beastly" than an LMA/Hickson combo), but I don't see Portland dealing with us anyway.

Well, these are his current numbers and so that's what his new normal numbers are. The only reason you want to use 17 and 10 as his 'normal' numbers, and that you're saying his current numbers aren't normal is because you want to sell. Well, if I'm buying

If you were trying to sell MWP, would you sell him then at his 'normal' numbers of 8 PPG and 3 RPG? No, I'm guessing you'd want his 'normal' numbers to be his current numbers right?

I get what you're saying, but your'e coming from the seller's perspective. The buyer is going to look at the opposite of what you're looking at and in the case of both players there is room for concern here investment wise regardless of when you want the 'normal' numbers to be.
JGC

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:49 am

I really fear that there is a chemistry problem, in terms of personality in the locker room.

Playing this badly (again) all of the sudden is not entirely explained by: fatigue, adapting to a new offense, and personnel skill sets not matching. Even with ALL of those things present, we shouldn't be THIS bad. I think there is a little bit of those three factors, very minimal really, but also a dose of locker room chemistry problems going on. The later exacerbates the prior three factors x1000.

I'm not sure what it could be. Some ideas:
-Howard disappointed in the MDA hiring after being so excited about Phil. Howard's game on the court has been the most bizarrely underwhelming.
-Pau sucking balls for whatever reason and Kobe defending him like he always seems to, upsetting Howard or others.
-Someone screwed someone's girlfriend, lol. Who knows.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby JGC on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:55 am

Punk-101 wrote:I really fear that there is a chemistry problem, in terms of personality in the locker room.

Playing this badly (again) all of the sudden is not entirely explained by: fatigue, adapting to a new offense, and personnel skill sets not matching. Even with ALL of those things present, we shouldn't be THIS bad. I think there is a little bit of those three factors, very minimal really, but also a dose of locker room chemistry problems going on. The later exacerbates the prior three factors x1000.

I'm not sure what it could be. Some ideas:
-Howard disappointed in the MDA hiring after being so excited about Phil. Howard's game on the court has been the most bizarrely underwhelming.
-Pau sucking balls for whatever reason and Kobe defending him like he always seems to, upsetting Howard or others.
-Someone screwed someone's girlfriend, lol. Who knows.

I agree. I think we have this .... vicious cycle. Team starts to sputter, Kobe takes over. Team doesn't like it that Kobe dominates the ball and continues to sputter causing Kobe to continue taking over.

You know, there was a time when Kobe would take over and the team was ok with it. Now every time he does that, if it doesn't result in a win, you hear teammates whining about touches.

To be fair to the bigs ... we are one of the worst teams in the league at getting our frontcourt involved and yet we have the best frontcourt. Makes no lick of sense whatsoever. FWIW, we had the same problem getting our frontcourt involved last season and it infuriates bigs when they are ignored. They stop playing D, or, they start playing like guards (which you saw Bynum do and Howard does as well on occasion).
JGC

Postby ojdidit123 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:43 am

Under .500 with a soft schedule played mostly at home. Is it conceivable that this team may actually struggle to just make the playoffs?

We probably will we really just aren't good and thats what we need to learn to accept. Trying to reinvent showtime was just as bad of an idea as the princeton offense was because we traded a shot at the title the moment they brought in the 2nd biggest joke of a coach in the last decade (Brown being no.1) Dantoni is a one trick pony that guarantees you one thing, when its winning time his teams don't get it done plain and simple. We are too old to run this system we need a slow paced half court offense inside out game no run and gun nonsense not with this personnel. Nash won't be our savior either if he comes back it'll probably be less than a month till he's gone again. This team has all time failure written all over it. Nash retires, Dwight leaves, Kobe retires soon after there are some dark days ahead rest assured
ojdidit123

Postby dj vitus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 am

JGC wrote:Well, these are his current numbers and so that's what his new normal numbers are. The only reason you want to use 17 and 10 as his 'normal' numbers, and that you're saying his current numbers aren't normal is because you want to sell. Well, if I'm buying

If you were trying to sell MWP, would you sell him then at his 'normal' numbers of 8 PPG and 3 RPG? No, I'm guessing you'd want his 'normal' numbers to be his current numbers right?

I get what you're saying, but your'e coming from the seller's perspective. The buyer is going to look at the opposite of what you're looking at and in the case of both players there is room for concern here investment wise regardless of when you want the 'normal' numbers to be.

Understandable. I'm just a bit more optimistic that one or more teams out there are thinking they can utilize Gasol better than we can. I can't think of any trades atm, but teams like GS, Cleveland, and Dallas always like to roll the dice. Maybe D'Antoni wants Marion back; who knows...
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 am

ojdidit123 wrote:

We probably will we really just aren't good and thats what we need to learn to accept. Trying to reinvent showtime was just as bad of an idea as the princeton offense was because we traded a shot at the title the moment they brought in the 2nd biggest joke of a coach in the last decade (Brown being no.1) Dantoni is a one trick pony that guarantees you one thing, when its winning time his teams don't get it done plain and simple. We are too old to run this system we need a slow paced half court offense inside out game no run and gun nonsense not with this personnel. Nash won't be our savior either if he comes back it'll probably be less than a month till he's gone again. This team has all time failure written all over it. Nash retires, Dwight leaves, Kobe retires soon after there are some dark days ahead rest assured

If you discount the Brown era, we can pretend we're 5-3. :man11:
dj vitus

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Wmc:
The ball isn't moving like it was during that great Bickerstaff era.
D.B. Cooper

Postby KB24 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:38 pm

garbage team on the road.

At some point you take a look in the mirror and admit...this team sucks for unknown reasons...

actually the problem is this team can't (d)efend a lick but thats not an excuse for a 100 mio. payroll.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby thkthebest on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Wow. I haven't watched the last two games, but it sounds like the Lakers have been terrible. Lol. I hope they do well today.
thkthebest

Postby Kit on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 pm

What a half! I didn't know what to think when MDA start subbing so soon but everyone was ready and into the game. So much energy. goose bumps!!
Kit

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 pm

My bad guys. I missed the last 2 games. They always win when I watch :man12:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby GoldenChocobo on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Transition defense off turnovers.
GoldenChocobo

Postby The Rock on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Man Meeks needs to stop dribbling. Kobe's attempting too many risky passes. Dwight's gotta finish off those 3-5 foot bank shots when hes so close to the rim. Other than that no real big WMC's from me

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:57 pm

WMC: nash heals like the anti-wolverine.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:00 pm

It was a good game but I'm not sure Dallas could play worse so it's hard to tell if we actually fixed anything.

Meeks ball handling is atrocious and Hill has absolutely no face up game. Morris didn't play very well overall but it was hidden by the great shooting for the most part.

Kobe with another 5+ turnover game.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

Postby icencream27 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Morris needs to practice his layups

Kobe needs to facilitate more instead of trying to force the shots. If there's no Steve Nash to run the offense, then he should play that role and score when needed

ONLY KINGS HAVE RINGS
icencream27

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion