WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 am

Scnottaken wrote:
SpencerHarrison wrote:I dont really buy the idea that the Spurs are so vastly superior to the Lakers.

LA lost a playoff game on the road against a good home team. It got blown open late, but the score was within 4-6 for most of the contest.

I think Blake and Dwight's defense has been stellar, and I anticipate seeing that same intensity in game 2. Play tough, scrap, and hit shots.

The Spurs? They're a good team, but the playoffs haven't been kind to them in a while. Pop is the greatest coach in the NBA? I guess that's why he can't seem to crack the conference finals lately with such a legendary and bulletproof roster. Come on. The Spurs are absolutely vulnerable. And LA has a very capable roster of veteran talent. Let's see a game where Jamison gets going and shots fall for Nash and Gasol.

I really can't believe how overrated the Spurs are by some of you. Good god.

I think it's partly because of the lack of Kobe. It's really rattled many people's perceptions of the team. This is no longer the team that posted the second best record in the west over the second half of the season, but a team that relies on relatively inconsistent scoring options.


I thought we would lose with Kobe, and I think we're going to lose without him. Of course, my heart hopes my brain is dead wrong here and the Lakers do end up victorious. But IMO, this team never played well enough during the course of the season for me to believe it can get it together, over a 7 game series, against a machine like the Spurs. The only way anyone is picking the Lakers to win this series (before or after game 1) is in a situation where they put nothing at stake.

I also think the second best record in the West thing is a bit misleading IMO. It was a big shock to most people when they were informed of it, and in watching the games, I don't think anyone can walk away and say that the Lakers played like an ELITE team in the second half of the season. The record was good, no doubt, but we never really looked like a team that would do damage in the postseason (well, to anyone but us fans), the way the second best team in the West would be expected to do.

I will say, there is a certain ... calmness for me as a fan, when we're playing in the position of a clearcut underdog. There's no, pressure so to speak. We're supposed to lose. If we push them to 6 or 7 games, then that's a plus. If we somehow win it, that is HUGE. Being the favorite can be scary because you're supposed to win all of your series all of the time and when you don't, the disappointment is ten times worse than it will be if we lose in a year we're expected to lose anyway.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am

SpencerHarrison wrote:I dont really buy the idea that the Spurs are so vastly superior to the Lakers.

LA lost a playoff game on the road against a good home team. It got blown open late, but the score was within 4-6 for most of the contest.

I think Blake and Dwight's defense has been stellar, and I anticipate seeing that same intensity in game 2. Play tough, scrap, and hit shots.

The Spurs? They're a good team, but the playoffs haven't been kind to them in a while. Pop is the greatest coach in the NBA? I guess that's why he can't seem to crack the conference finals lately with such a legendary and bulletproof roster. Come on. The Spurs are absolutely vulnerable. And LA has a very capable roster of veteran talent. Let's see a game where Jamison gets going and shots fall for Nash and Gasol.

I really can't believe how overrated the Spurs are by some of you. Good god.

I'm with you, bud.

But if you want to read where people believe in the Lakers, you don't come to the WMC thread. :man10:

That's what the Optimistic thread is for.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am

Maybe we need a "Realistic" thread in here too. We have the pessimistic thread (WMC) and the Optimistic thread.

We need something for everything between going 82-0, 16-0 or 0-82!
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby charvin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am

I am also one that believes the Spurs aren't vastly superior. If they were, we wouldn't be clamouring to face them over OKC (whose strategy would just be to run us out of the building).

Popovich very smartly and correctly used timeouts to stop any momentum. Any time we had momentum building and chipped the lead off, he took a timeout and the SAS team regrouped to start their own run again. Just good coaching on his part.

Honestly, I'd stay at home for all the shooters. I don't care if Duncan or Splitter goes for 40, so be it. If Duncan makes his shots from about 15 feet away, let him; I'd take that all day over having other people score (Parker, Ginobli, Green, Neal).
charvin

 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 am

One thing I noticed towards the end of the game is us losing some self belief and confidence, we were battling the whole game, Blake was defending Parker well, Pau forced Duncan into some tough shots but after Ginobili hit a couple of 3s to end the 3rd and begin the 4th you can just see the Lakers look demoralized. They gotta keep competing hard to give themselves a chance, you cant lose your spirit. It shows how important Kobe is to the psyche of this team, he instills confidence
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19996
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

charvin wrote:I am also one that believes the Spurs aren't vastly superior. If they were, we wouldn't be clamouring to face them over OKC (whose strategy would just be to run us out of the building).

Popovich very smartly and correctly used timeouts to stop any momentum. Any time we had momentum building and chipped the lead off, he took a timeout and the SAS team regrouped to start their own run again. Just good coaching on his part.

Honestly, I'd stay at home for all the shooters. I don't care if Duncan or Splitter goes for 40, so be it. If Duncan makes his shots from about 15 feet away, let him; I'd take that all day over having other people score (Parker, Ginobli, Green, Neal).


If the Spurs aren't vastly superior, than losing this series in anything worse than 6 games would be an epic fail for the Lakers. You know, to lose that badly to someone who isn't that much more superior to you.

We wanted OKC because if there is ANY chance of getting out of the 1st round, those chances are higher versus the Spurs. Doesn't mean the chances are any good.

IMHO, the Spurs aren't vastly superior on paper roster wise, but play vastly superior on the court, and have done so for the entire season which we have not. And that's why, in this match up, they should be considered vastly superior.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah BUT. We are effing HANDICAPPED. Coach Go Go Go vs freaking Popovich. That is huge to overcome for the team. I am dead effing serious if Kobe was head coach for this series we would have a shot.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:46 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Yeah BUT. We are effing HANDICAPPED. Coach Go Go Go vs freaking Popovich. That is huge to overcome for the team. I am dead effing serious if Kobe was head coach for this series we would have a shot.


We can't just keep pointing to things that can't, won't and aren't happening and then pretend that if they could or would happen, that it would change everything.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Who did that? I stated a fact. You talk about this superior team and are going to leave the huge coaching discrepancy out of it? Our roster is better than what it has shown even with all the goddamned injuries. Let Go Go Go coach Pop's roster against the Lakers roster right now with Pops coaching it instead, injuries and all and it is a "contested" series at the very least.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:02 pm

^

Yes, but that does not necessarily contribute to the discussion, because MDA is, and will continue to be our coach in this series. Discussing what would happen if that was Phil, or Pop, or Kobe or my grandpa... is pure fantasy. Of course, yes, there is coaching discrepancy. Pop is better then any other coach in the league; certainly better then MDA. That's a given.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37447
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Who did that? I stated a fact. You talk about this superior team and are going to leave the huge coaching discrepancy out of it? Our roster is better than what it has shown even with all the goddamned injuries. Let Go Go Go coach Pop's roster against the Lakers roster right now with Pops coaching it instead, injuries and all and it is a "contested" series at the very least.


This. Dude, if MDA coached the Spurs and Pop coached us, we would win. WE HAVE DWIGHT HOWARD AND PAU GASOL! Pop would cream himself to victory
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm

karacha wrote:^

Yes, but that does not necessarily contribute to the discussion, because MDA is, and will continue to be our coach in this series. Discussing what would happen if that was Phil, or Pop, or Kobe or my grandpa... is pure fantasy. Of course, yes, there is coaching discrepancy. Pop is better then any other coach in the league; certainly better then MDA. That's a given.


UMMM....it is the WMC thread after all.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm

JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Yeah BUT. We are effing HANDICAPPED. Coach Go Go Go vs freaking Popovich. That is huge to overcome for the team. I am dead effing serious if Kobe was head coach for this series we would have a shot.


We can't just keep pointing to things that can't, won't and aren't happening and then pretend that if they could or would happen, that it would change everything.


See title of thread. OUT.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Who did that? I stated a fact. You talk about this superior team and are going to leave the huge coaching discrepancy out of it? Our roster is better than what it has shown even with all the goddamned injuries. Let Go Go Go coach Pop's roster against the Lakers roster right now with Pops coaching it instead, injuries and all and it is a "contested" series at the very least.


This. Dude, if MDA coached the Spurs and Pop coached us, we would win. WE HAVE DWIGHT HOWARD AND PAU GASOL! Pop would cream himself to victory


Only problem with that is....

We'd have to pay 29.95 to watch the game and it wouldn't be on basic cable.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:49 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:Yeah BUT. We are effing HANDICAPPED. Coach Go Go Go vs freaking Popovich. That is huge to overcome for the team. I am dead effing serious if Kobe was head coach for this series we would have a shot.


We can't just keep pointing to things that can't, won't and aren't happening and then pretend that if they could or would happen, that it would change everything.


See title of thread. OUT.


If the title of thread were more optimistic, our season would have been better, we'd beat the Spurs and win the NBA championship.

Too bad.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:54 pm

What are you talking about? Again?? I am simply pissed about the discrepancy and handicap we have with coaches, with you waxing poetic about their "superior" team. I am PISSED that Dan treated Kobe the way he did with his tweets and his jack hole comment about them when asked. The arrogant dick. Kobe would coach circles around him and he laughs at the help attempt from his star player that killed himself all year to get them there. "COMPLAIN"
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:09 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:What are you talking about? Again?? I am simply pissed about the discrepancy and handicap we have with coaches, with you waxing poetic about their "superior" team. I am PISSED that Dan treated Kobe the way he did with his tweets and his jack hole comment about them when asked. The arrogant dick. Kobe would coach circles around him and he laughs at the help attempt from his star player that killed himself all year to get them there. "COMPLAIN"


Relax man, LOL.

MDA was just trying to make it seem like it was no big deal.

I think you read way too much in to the eye rolling thing.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 pm

JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:What are you talking about? Again?? I am simply pissed about the discrepancy and handicap we have with coaches, with you waxing poetic about their "superior" team. I am PISSED that Dan treated Kobe the way he did with his tweets and his jack hole comment about them when asked. The arrogant dick. Kobe would coach circles around him and he laughs at the help attempt from his star player that killed himself all year to get them there. "COMPLAIN"


Relax man, LOL.

MDA was just trying to make it seem like it was no big deal.

I think you read way too much in to the eye rolling thing.


I completely disagree. I wondered what the dynamic would be with Kobe offering 17 years of experienced observations about how to play Timmy, Pops and the Spurs, if he would accept it even though not the best "look" for him..... for the greater good. Especially since Mitch just gave him the vote of confidence. Well that was your answer. NO. He resents it and doesn't take it seriously. In my never to be humble opinion. No big deal. OK, yeah sure.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:47 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:What are you talking about? Again?? I am simply pissed about the discrepancy and handicap we have with coaches, with you waxing poetic about their "superior" team. I am PISSED that Dan treated Kobe the way he did with his tweets and his jack hole comment about them when asked. The arrogant dick. Kobe would coach circles around him and he laughs at the help attempt from his star player that killed himself all year to get them there. "COMPLAIN"


Relax man, LOL.

MDA was just trying to make it seem like it was no big deal.

I think you read way too much in to the eye rolling thing.


I completely disagree. I wondered what the dynamic would be with Kobe offering 17 years of experienced observations about how to play Timmy, Pops and the Spurs, if he would accept it even though not the best "look" for him..... for the greater good. Especially since Mitch just gave him the vote of confidence. Well that was your answer. NO. He resents it and doesn't take it seriously. In my never to be humble opinion. No big deal. OK, yeah sure.


He was tweeting. Let's not overstate what Kobe was doing here. He wasn't offering up coaching tips or strategies. He was live tweeting, as a fan, like we do in the Gameday threads. Players can't even tweet anymore without it being overblown as "consulting services" ... sheesh.

If he were truly offering real insightful strategies in to how to beat the Spurs, he'd be the biggest moron on the planet to do it in a public forum for the world, including the Spurs, to see. Maybe that's why he's getting off Twitter? And he'll send his coaching strategies via SMS this time instead.

The media certainly blows a lot of things out of proportion but, haha, cmon guys, this is getting ridic.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm

JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:
JGC wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:What are you talking about? Again?? I am simply pissed about the discrepancy and handicap we have with coaches, with you waxing poetic about their "superior" team. I am PISSED that Dan treated Kobe the way he did with his tweets and his jack hole comment about them when asked. The arrogant dick. Kobe would coach circles around him and he laughs at the help attempt from his star player that killed himself all year to get them there. "COMPLAIN"


Relax man, LOL.

MDA was just trying to make it seem like it was no big deal.

I think you read way too much in to the eye rolling thing.


I completely disagree. I wondered what the dynamic would be with Kobe offering 17 years of experienced observations about how to play Timmy, Pops and the Spurs, if he would accept it even though not the best "look" for him..... for the greater good. Especially since Mitch just gave him the vote of confidence. Well that was your answer. NO. He resents it and doesn't take it seriously. In my never to be humble opinion. No big deal. OK, yeah sure.


He was tweeting. Let's not overstate what Kobe was doing here. He wasn't offering up coaching tips or strategies. He was live tweeting, as a fan, like we do in the Gameday threads. Players can't even tweet anymore without it being overblown as "consulting services" ... sheesh.

If he were truly offering real insightful strategies in to how to beat the Spurs, he'd be the biggest moron on the planet to do it in a public forum for the world, including the Spurs, to see. Maybe that's why he's getting off Twitter? And he'll send his coaching strategies via SMS this time instead.

The media certainly blows a lot of things out of proportion but, haha, cmon guys, this is getting ridic.



You really haven't got the first clue about Kobe Bryant the guy you constantly nit pick to death if he doesn't play exactly as how you in your armchair need him to play to be happy, if you really believe that. That is worthy of

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Is it an effective way to help? NO. But it is all he has at this point.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm

^ Actually, I do have a clue about Kobe.

I think Kobe is a lot smarter than you give him credit for.

I have to believe if he really thought he was relaying actual strategy, he would have done it in a more confidential manner.

Anyone who is publicly broadcasting the actual strategy any sports team should employ would be a moron and could cost that team a victory for handing said strategy to the opposition!
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:13 pm

JGC wrote:^ Actually, I do have a clue about Kobe.

I think Kobe is a lot smarter than you give him credit for.

I have to believe if he really thought he was relaying actual strategy, he would have done it in a more confidential manner.

Anyone who is publicly broadcasting the actual strategy any sports team should employ would be a moron and could cost that team a victory for handing said strategy to the opposition!


See....there you go....just called him a "moron". What was inaccurate about what he was tweeting, tell me, vs what was actually going on in the game that Dan wasn't adjusting to???

Again, look, do I think he expected in real time Dan to be checking his tweets from the bench. NO. But maybe being a bit naive with how the coach and team might want to be hearing his thoughts, maybe he is hoping that someone there is picking them up in the training room, wherever the bleep, and relaying. He sure can't keep "calling" people on the cell in real time so what's left.... tweets. Trying his damndest to do something.

I have more of a problem with your take just laughing off Dan's response about it as if it wasn't disrespectful. You saw Kobe's tweet, "Fan?" Right? Stephen A. and Skip for once were right on about their long rant on it. Who the hell is Dan Tony to laugh Kobe off like that???? Just blurts stuff out, whatever he's feeling at the time without even thinking.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6501
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 pm

when you have to rely heavily on the likes of darius morris, what chance do you really think you have against anyone
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10415
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:08 pm

I don't mind losing to the Spurs, they don't really have any unlikeable players.

It's like this series will just blow by and no one will remember it
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Pau, man... come on, hit some shots.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37447
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.