WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: #7 achieved for Kobe! (16 wins)

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:07 pm

WMC: Pau shoots better from the outside and this would've been a better game, forget the 3pt shooting crap fest out there but Pau and even Nash got whatever they wanted on offense, just gota convert.
khmrP

Re: WMC 12/13: #7 achieved for Kobe! (16 wins)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:16 am

borri wrote:Not that pissed we lost. But damn, this one was ripe for the picking.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Re: WMC 12/13: Came up short (0-1)

Postby snackdaddy on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:58 am

Lets face it. We can point to this or that. Bottom line is, we're not as good as the Spurs. Or almost any other playoff team in the west.

We have a former all world point guard who is average now due to age.

We have a former all star power forward who is average due to whatever.

We have a former all world center who is pretty good and getting better, but not what he was before his injury.

Aside from Blake, the rest are role players who don't fit. And we act surprised we lost?
snackdaddy

Postby JGC on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:33 am

The only people who should be surprised are the people who picked Lakers in 6 or whatever. Oh, and then there is the built-in excuse of lack of playing together to soothe the game 1 loss since the starting lineup had never played together at any time this season.

I will add though, I thought the guys played hard. The effort was there. Just didn't play well.

Outside of an injury to a key Spurs player, this Lakers team isn't going to beat them in a 7 game series with Kobe much less without him.

The Lakers need to decide who they want to be, then make wholesale roster changes to align with whatever it is they want to be. Piling up players and then figuring it out later based on who you have isn't going to work. Who knows, maybe they are doing that, and it'll just take a while to get there, but clearly, we're not there yet with or without the Mamba.
JGC

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

sigh.. same ole trolling.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:19 am

We struggle for every point on offense. Nobody could hit a shot. Our 3-point shooting has come and gone all season. We need to hit shots, period. The Spurs are going to double Dwight and Pau. It's vital Metta, Meeks, Jamison, & Nash hit their shots consistently. If they don't, this series will be over soon.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JGC on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:sigh.. same ole trolling.

Excuse me?!

How the f*** is anything I said trolling?
JGC

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 am

There needs to be more movement on offense. Too much stagnant posting with Pau, Dwight, Metta allow San Antonio to pack the paint. Not hitting shots doesn't help either.

Pick and roll defense needs to be better. Dwight is still getting caught in no-man's land on whether to cover the paint, or challenge the mid range shot. They need to switch on the pick and rolls and rotate or hard double Parker and force other players to make plays.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 am

i miss Kobe
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Juronimo on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am

snackdaddy wrote:Lets face it. We can point to this or that. Bottom line is, we're not as good as the Spurs. Or almost any other playoff team in the west.

We have a former all world point guard who is average now due to age.

We have a former all star power forward who is average due to whatever.

We have a former all world center who is pretty good and getting better, but not what he was before his injury.

Aside from Blake, the rest are role players who don't fit. And we act surprised we lost?

Yeah.

The Spurs are much better than us, much better, even when Kobe was healthy they were better. Without Kobe the difference is much more dramatic. They're better coached and their players are better. Duncan is better than both Dwight and Pau right now and the backcourt, the talent differential is as wide as the grand canyon.

We have no chance to beat this team, none.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby TIME on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:sigh.. same ole trolling.

Puffy, this is the site rule on trolling that applies both to the person trolling and to the person that thinks someone is trolling. I have bolded the part that applies to your post. Please take note and adjust your responses to suspected trolling accordingly. In this case I do not see JGC's post as trolling.

2a) Trolling is prohibited.

If a post seems to be trolling to you, don't respond to it as trolling. Simply flag it for staff review.

Staff will then examine the post to see whether it is ALL of the following (this will be at staff's discretion).
1. Inflammatory
2. Extraneous/off topic
3. Likely to provoke readers into further emotional and off topic responses.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:20 am

Way to take the air out of the room.

Realistically, yes, you're right. We do have to admit that they are better than us. But who said teams like Phoenix, Sacramento, hell, Washington would take us in the season. Albeit, playoffs and the regular season are completely different, but it's not like those teams folded.

Through 3 quarters we kept in line with San Antonio with probably some of the sloppiest play I've seen from us. What I did like from that game was our scrappiness. We were still fighting. The effort was there.

Maybe it's talent that didn't get us the over the top, but I wouldn't count us out based on one (bad) game. Give this team a chance, as slim as it is. This year has been a total crapshoot and everyone knows it.

Enjoy the fight, because this is the most we've seen from them all season. We're tired, we've beaten, we're bruised, but we're not down...yet.

Just count us out when we're out.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby JGC on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Way to take the air out of the room.

Realistically, yes, you're right. We do have to admit that they are better than us. But who said teams like Phoenix, Sacramento, hell, Washington would take us in the season. Albeit, playoffs and the regular season are completely different, but it's not like those teams folded.

Through 3 quarters we kept in line with San Antonio with probably some of the sloppiest play I've seen from us. What I did like from that game was our scrappiness. We were still fighting. The effort was there.

Maybe it's talent that didn't get us the over the top, but I wouldn't count us out based on one (bad) game. Give this team a chance, as slim as it is. This year has been a total crapshoot and everyone knows it.

Enjoy the fight, because this is the most we've seen from them all season. We're tired, we've beaten, we're bruised, but we're not down...yet.

Just count us out when we're out.

Well, we may have lost to PHX/SAC/WAS, but San Antonio also lost to us once. I'm not sure PHX beating us has any more meaning in the long run than us beating SAS once.

I do agree though that the team has shown a scrappiness and fight we're not used to seeing from them collectively. I guess it's good that they are in the playoffs and they are trying. They'll get less a pat on the back for that from me than a slap on the wrist for not doing that ALL the time.

It's time to accept reality, and that reality is we are essentially guaranteed to lose this series and probably in a sweep or 5 game fashion. I'm ok with that in the sense of, I don't believe this team is currently good enough to win it all. But you know what, I'm not going to stop hoping. I'm not going to stop getting excited if/when the Lakers go on a 10-0 run to take an 8 pt lead in game 2. The hope is still there, but, we can't be so foolish to possibly believe, after analyzing all of the games and stats and plays, that we will win this series whether the series is at 0-0, 0-1, or 0-3.
JGC

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 am

And I won't be completely disappointed when we lose. It'll be more a, thank god it's over type of feeling more than anything.

Going in, of course we're underdogs here. Like I said, respectfully, the Spurs are the better team. But if we're showing fight, we're going after balls, we're making the plays...but the shots are just falling (like yesterday), than that's the best we can hope for from this team after such an uncanny season for us all.

It's hard to analyze any stats at all with such an inconsistent season from us. They might just play the biggest game of their lives in game 2 and steal one (just like the Indy game without Kobe), throwing any stats out the door. That's how sports are sometimes. That's the glimmer of chance us fans just have to have. To go out and say, damn it's completely over for us over one game where we played pretty bad (even in this seasons standards), is pretty damn pessimistic. But I guess to each their own. I guess I prefer to stand on the side of the grass where it's growing...
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 pm

I dont really buy the idea that the Spurs are so vastly superior to the Lakers.

LA lost a playoff game on the road against a good home team. It got blown open late, but the score was within 4-6 for most of the contest.

I think Blake and Dwight's defense has been stellar, and I anticipate seeing that same intensity in game 2. Play tough, scrap, and hit shots.

The Spurs? They're a good team, but the playoffs haven't been kind to them in a while. Pop is the greatest coach in the NBA? I guess that's why he can't seem to crack the conference finals lately with such a legendary and bulletproof roster. Come on. The Spurs are absolutely vulnerable. And LA has a very capable roster of veteran talent. Let's see a game where Jamison gets going and shots fall for Nash and Gasol.

I really can't believe how overrated the Spurs are by some of you. Good god.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 pm

SpencerHarrison wrote:I dont really buy the idea that the Spurs are so vastly superior to the Lakers.

LA lost a playoff game on the road against a good home team. It got blown open late, but the score was within 4-6 for most of the contest.

I think Blake and Dwight's defense has been stellar, and I anticipate seeing that same intensity in game 2. Play tough, scrap, and hit shots.

The Spurs? They're a good team, but the playoffs haven't been kind to them in a while. Pop is the greatest coach in the NBA? I guess that's why he can't seem to crack the conference finals lately with such a legendary and bulletproof roster. Come on. The Spurs are absolutely vulnerable. And LA has a very capable roster of veteran talent. Let's see a game where Jamison gets going and shots fall for Nash and Gasol.

I think it's partly because of the lack of Kobe. It's really rattled many people's perceptions of the team. This is no longer the team that posted the second best record in the west over the second half of the season, but a team that relies on relatively inconsistent scoring options.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Nikez on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Were not vastly under talented were just not as consistent a team as them. We can have runs and flashes of dominance (without kobe theyre much less frequent) but the question is are we going to do it the whole game and figure out how to get it done consistently? That's what the fans have a slight hope to believe will happen, that our team might play a good full game and steal one or two, but it's slight because our team simply doesn't play as well as them consistently.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 am

SpencerHarrison wrote:>>I dont really buy the idea that the Spurs are so vastly superior to the Lakers.

<<

Neither do I, but we have a pinhead for a coach, whereas the Spurs have one of the best coaches in pro basketball.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39 am

Wow I thought we will sweep them :bang: :bang: I voted sweep in all polls.. :bang: looks like it's gonna be harder :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 am

Scnottaken wrote:
SpencerHarrison wrote:I dont really buy the idea that the Spurs are so vastly superior to the Lakers.

I think it's partly because of the lack of Kobe. It's really rattled many people's perceptions of the team. This is no longer the team that posted the second best record in the west over the second half of the season, but a team that relies on relatively inconsistent scoring options.

I thought we would lose with Kobe, and I think we're going to lose without him. Of course, my heart hopes my brain is dead wrong here and the Lakers do end up victorious. But IMO, this team never played well enough during the course of the season for me to believe it can get it together, over a 7 game series, against a machine like the Spurs. The only way anyone is picking the Lakers to win this series (before or after game 1) is in a situation where they put nothing at stake.

I also think the second best record in the West thing is a bit misleading IMO. It was a big shock to most people when they were informed of it, and in watching the games, I don't think anyone can walk away and say that the Lakers played like an ELITE team in the second half of the season. The record was good, no doubt, but we never really looked like a team that would do damage in the postseason (well, to anyone but us fans), the way the second best team in the West would be expected to do.

I will say, there is a certain ... calmness for me as a fan, when we're playing in the position of a clearcut underdog. There's no, pressure so to speak. We're supposed to lose. If we push them to 6 or 7 games, then that's a plus. If we somehow win it, that is HUGE. Being the favorite can be scary because you're supposed to win all of your series all of the time and when you don't, the disappointment is ten times worse than it will be if we lose in a year we're expected to lose anyway.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:56 am

I'm with you, bud.

But if you want to read where people believe in the Lakers, you don't come to the WMC thread. :man10:

That's what the Optimistic thread is for.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am

Maybe we need a "Realistic" thread in here too. We have the pessimistic thread (WMC) and the Optimistic thread.

We need something for everything between going 82-0, 16-0 or 0-82!
JGC

Postby charvin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:02 am

I am also one that believes the Spurs aren't vastly superior. If they were, we wouldn't be clamouring to face them over OKC (whose strategy would just be to run us out of the building).

Popovich very smartly and correctly used timeouts to stop any momentum. Any time we had momentum building and chipped the lead off, he took a timeout and the SAS team regrouped to start their own run again. Just good coaching on his part.

Honestly, I'd stay at home for all the shooters. I don't care if Duncan or Splitter goes for 40, so be it. If Duncan makes his shots from about 15 feet away, let him; I'd take that all day over having other people score (Parker, Ginobli, Green, Neal).
charvin

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 am

One thing I noticed towards the end of the game is us losing some self belief and confidence, we were battling the whole game, Blake was defending Parker well, Pau forced Duncan into some tough shots but after Ginobili hit a couple of 3s to end the 3rd and begin the 4th you can just see the Lakers look demoralized. They gotta keep competing hard to give themselves a chance, you cant lose your spirit. It shows how important Kobe is to the psyche of this team, he instills confidence

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm

charvin wrote:I am also one that believes the Spurs aren't vastly superior. If they were, we wouldn't be clamouring to face them over OKC (whose strategy would just be to run us out of the building).

Popovich very smartly and correctly used timeouts to stop any momentum. Any time we had momentum building and chipped the lead off, he took a timeout and the SAS team regrouped to start their own run again. Just good coaching on his part.

Honestly, I'd stay at home for all the shooters. I don't care if Duncan or Splitter goes for 40, so be it. If Duncan makes his shots from about 15 feet away, let him; I'd take that all day over having other people score (Parker, Ginobli, Green, Neal).

If the Spurs aren't vastly superior, than losing this series in anything worse than 6 games would be an epic fail for the Lakers. You know, to lose that badly to someone who isn't that much more superior to you.

We wanted OKC because if there is ANY chance of getting out of the 1st round, those chances are higher versus the Spurs. Doesn't mean the chances are any good.

IMHO, the Spurs aren't vastly superior on paper roster wise, but play vastly superior on the court, and have done so for the entire season which we have not. And that's why, in this match up, they should be considered vastly superior.
JGC

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion