WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Clippers Kings of LA (25-29)

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am

^^ I miss Pau a lot more.

Anyway, it's one game. Let's not read too much into this and let's hope we just gather ourselves and refocus on getting wins and getting into the playoffs. These guys should not get too high or too low about these games. It's a numbers thing at this point. Just win 2 out of every 3. Get to the playoffs then worry about the details later.

That was a loss. Now win the next two home games. Keep it real simple.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am

Exactly. The Clipps punked us, but they couldn't miss last night, especially Zchauncey. It's frustrating, because they just need direction, something MDA can't give.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Juronimo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am

The odds of making the playoffs are becoming more and more remote.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am

Juronimo wrote:The odds of making the playoffs are becoming more and more remote.

I've known this for awhile. We're not a very good basketball team. I've resolved myself earlier in the season to not get as emotionally invested. We have too many glaring holes in the roster. I've rooted & wanted the best but this is just not our year.

This will really give us a chance to evaluate the roster this summer and start making some much needed changes...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Tragic wrote:I miss Bynum.

What exactly are you missing. ..hes not exactly killing it with philly.
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm

khmrP wrote:

^^ This.

I know this season is rough, but people seem to have VERY short memories of Bynum...
phoenixrisingla

Postby borri on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Man this season is hands down the worst one in the 30 years of me watching Lakers basketball.

At the very least, 04-05 and pre-Pau years, I was vastly entertained by the Kobeshow.
borri

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm

This season is without question the worst I've ever experienced. It's one thing to suck when people expect you to, but it's another to be a potential lottery team when people expected you to contend for a championship. This team will be laughed at for many more years to come if they don't make the playoffs.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 pm

easily the worst season in recent memory. even the smush/kwame years didn't feel this bad, but that's because expectations were nowhere near the same. hell, they made the playoffs at least.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Tragic on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

khmrP wrote:

His post moves, his lack of turnovers. We would have NOT our last championship without him. What's wrong with missing him? He's a superior center than Dwight and it's so obvious. Dwight has no skill in the post and he is so predictable. I've seen damn near every game this year and Dwight is god awful when it comes to fundamentals of being a center. If he knew how to keep the ball above his head on rebounds he wouldn't have the torn labrum he's nursing right now. I miss Bynum's fundamentally sound game. I know he's injured but i appreciate what he gave us while he was here.
Tragic

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Tragic wrote:
khmrP wrote:

His post moves, his lack of turnovers. We would have NOT our last championship without him. What's wrong with missing him? He's a superior center than Dwight and it's so obvious. Dwight has no skill in the post and he is so predictable. I've seen damn near every game this year and Dwight is god awful when it comes to fundamentals of being a center. If he knew how to keep the ball above his head on rebounds he wouldn't have the torn labrum he's nursing right now. I miss Bynum's fundamentally sound game. I know he's injured but i appreciate what he gave us while he was here.

so would that still be your sentiment if you were seeing Bynum court side in a suit right now? I bet it be more like you cursing mgmt./Jim for not having taken advantage of the situation and traded him when we had the chance :bang: and you think Bynum would be giving his all for this type of offense considering how much better of a post player he was/is then Howard? :freak2:
khmrP

Postby KB24 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

I miss the Lakers

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby themasterphil on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I miss Phil and triangle offense
themasterphil

Postby BDG on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:28 pm

borri wrote:Man this season is hands down the worst one in the 30 years of me watching Lakers basketball.

At the very least, 04-05 and pre-Pau years, I was vastly entertained by the Kobeshow.
Easily the most disappointing season in our franchise's history.

Easily my least favorite season ever.

I don't even really care about these games anymore to save myself from going mad.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby ThizGuy83 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm

BDG wrote:
borri wrote:Man this season is hands down the worst one in the 30 years of me watching Lakers basketball.

Easily the most disappointing season in our franchise's history.

Easily my least favorite season ever.

I don't even really care about these games anymore to save myself from going mad.

pretty much why i stopped watching the games... i still support them... when someone speaks bad about the lakers i talk back... but watching the games just gets me so angry... this is easily the worst season ever for the lakers in my opinion... just cuz of expectations and being let down so badly
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby borri on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:26 pm

^^^

This is how bad it's gotten. The ball and chain wanted to watch American Idol last night. I gave in, boy am I glad I did. Best TV decision I've made all year long.
borri

Postby dak22 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:08 pm

khmrP wrote:
Tragic wrote:
khmrP wrote:

so would that still be your sentiment if you were seeing Bynum court side in a suit right now? I bet it be more like you cursing mgmt./Jim for not having taken advantage of the situation and traded him when we had the chance :bang: and you think Bynum would be giving his all for this type of offense considering how much better of a post player he was/is then Howard? :freak2:

Well when the alternative is seeing Howard not give a crap :bang: ; playing effortless against our most heated rivals :bang: ; getting out rebounded by the worst frontcourt in the league :man10: ; laughing it up during a blow out against the clips :disagree: ; taking shots at kobe through the media while not confronting him face to face :mad1: ; and finally, making nash, one of the best teamates of all time, complain+question his actions :man4: , thus destroying any recently built chemistry , having Bynum in a suit seems like the greener pasture at the moment.

At least Bynum would shut up and not complain about whose team this is during rehab. Howard's play+excuses the last couple of weeks were so gutless/despicable that he'd be better off in similar suit. Throw in all the jabs he threw at the media during that time about kobe and the team and it makes Bynum look like a saint in comparison.

When the lakers traded Bynum for Howard, they traded an immature center who gave inconsistent effort, had health issues, and wasn't worth the max, let alone able to lead the franchise post-kobe, for what they hoped was a center that was the antithesis of all those things.

Instead they got another immature center, who also gives incosistent effort, has health issues (back issue won't make him regain athleticism), still not worth the max (can you gaurantee he regains that athleticism?), can't lead the franchise (attitude issues :man10: ), is poorly skilled ( :man10: at his post game) and to top it off, is a big diva who's stupid enough to try and recreate Shaq and Kobe, the sequel :bang: .
dak22

Postby Tragic on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:57 pm

khmrP wrote:
Tragic wrote:
khmrP wrote:

:freak2: Why are you twisting my words? I was pretty clear with what I wrote :freak2: I miss having an actual center. That's all.
Tragic

Postby Tragic on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 pm

KB24 wrote:

I miss the Lakers

same
Tragic

Postby Nikez on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm

I don't get it. This team played so great that game we beat OKC and the following games, it looked like they really turned it around and figured out their identity, then they go back to playing awful again. This is painful.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Nikez wrote:I don't get it. This team played so great that game we beat OKC and the following games, it looked like they really turned it around and figured out their identity, then they go back to playing awful again. This is painful.

In my opinion, Pau going down has a LOT to do with this. Kobe constantly maintained how crucial Pau was. I really notice his absence in execution situations offensively. The two man game he and Kobe had going was pretty tough to stop, and could generate half court offense at will. Defensively he's no monster, but he is a 7 footer. More importantly, it looked like D'Antoni had finally gotten the rotations the way he wanted, and things were flowing.

So... IMO, Pau going down is the reason for the recent regression. They'll figure it out again.
SpencerHarrison

Postby lakersfever on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Bynum was and is still garbage. He couldn't play two games in a row without getting hurt. I miss Shaq and Ariza. :bang:
lakersfever

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 am

Since we are in the topic of missing guys, I miss a 35 year old Kareem. Imagine the damage he would cause in the league these days.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 am

The Lakers are 25-29 at the break. Who/what is to blame? Here's how I dole out responsibility, blame pie style:

(In theory, the percentages should add up to 100, but if they don't I probably won't go back to re-work the numbers...)

So where does the blame lie?

48.5% - Injuries.

Somewhere, there's a parallel universe in which Howard's back wasn't an issue once the season started and his shoulder is fine, Nash never got that weird leg fracture nerve thing, Gasol's knees and feet are peachy, and Jordan Hill has two functioning hips. In that universe, maybe the Lakers aren't winning the West but they aren't 25-29.

18.5% - Psychology.

We all knew the Lakers could have some problems. Dwight and Kobe? Not necessarily the most natural pairing. Would all the egos fit? The thing supposed to keep everything in order was winning. On a successful team, nobody rocks the boat. This group was not equipped for losing. They reacted poorly to it, unable to wrap their collective heads around the idea of not being as good as they were supposed to be.

10% - Dwight Howard.

Our expectations for him were unfair. He was ready at Game 1, looked ok, and we expected him to be DWIGHT HOWARD. He wasn't capable of it, and meanwhile was supposed to erase every defensive mistake the team made. But he's been pouty, the effort has been inconsistent, and the buy-in lacking. And all of that stuff has cast a cloud over the team.

8.5% - Coaching.

Forget Phil Jackson. Mike D'Antoni shouldn't be the coach because Mike Brown shouldn't have been fired because he shouldn't have been hired. So start there. Regarding D'Antoni, he took over under tough circumstances and injuries have been a bear, but has struggled to set a consistent tone. He alienated Gasol in about six seconds, tried to do some square peg, round hole work with the roster, and so on.

10.0% - Gasol and Nash.

Injuries? Age? Poorly used? All of the above, probably. But the bottom line is that both guys haven't performed to expectations.

4.5% - Kobe.

He's never read Dwight particularly well, and as importantly early in the season he and others were talking D, but Kobe wasn't playing much of it. It was a real problem, and set a bad tone. Still, overall, he's shown a willingness to do whatever is necessary to keep the season on the rails. But it's impossible to absolve him of all blame for everything that has gone on. It is, after all, his team.

How do you divvy it up?

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/e6e048ac-34e6-4f4c-9c5b-55bfc0df544a/?source=twitter

On point... outside the 0.5% percentages but overall I agree with the explanations
wcsoldier81

Postby odom1year on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Chris Paul is the new king of LA ! He's that good.
odom1year

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion