WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Oh so close! (3-5)

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 am

what was that random whistle by the refs? it was for nothing and then it was for reviewing something but they never watched anything on the screen?...totally killed the fans
Ariza3

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 am

Ariza3 wrote:what was that random whistle by the refs? it was for nothing and then it was for reviewing something but they never watched anything on the screen?...totally killed the fans

they were reviewing a Metta shot to see if it was a 2 or a 3. they didn't want to risk there not being a whistle down the stretch
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:44 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:what was that random whistle by the refs? it was for nothing and then it was for reviewing something but they never watched anything on the screen?...totally killed the fans

they were reviewing a Metta shot to see if it was a 2 or a 3. they didn't want to risk there not being a whistle down the stretch

oh got it that makes sense. too bad it kind of killed the crowd imo. thanks for the clear up.
Ariza3

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 am

ramsay13 wrote:I was heading home and the ppl on the 710am were saying this was an okay win? explain. :freak2:

Laker fans came in expecting to be blown out. We were starting our third string PG because Steve Nash and Blake were hurt, and really no head coach. So the fact that the game came down to one possession and the fact that we played great defense gives fans a lot of confidence in this team and shows that they are slowly but surely getting better despite all the health setbacks and front office drama.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby borri on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 am

Pau turning into a poor version of Channing Frye is my WMC of the night.

Metta, I expect him to suck one out of every 2 games. So nothing new here.
borri

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:12 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:

Strange timing though. They didn't wait for a dead ball. They just whistled it phx scored.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 am

Ras Algethi wrote:
KBJelleyBean24 wrote:

Strange timing though. They didn't wait for a dead ball. They just whistled it phx scored.

Unfortunately for me i had to listen to the game on the radio, but Ireland & Mychal were pretty confused about it too but the way they said it was that because there wasn't a lot of time left, the refs didn't want to wait for the game to go on and the score being in doubt since it was so close. I agree though it was really strange and I've never seen that before. :man3:
KBJelleyBean24

Postby denimPortugal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 am

Losing to Spurms makes me sick...
Green! :mad1:
denimPortugal

Postby themasterphil on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 am

Personally I am satisfied with this game.....of course we lost the game but I saw a lot of good thing out there....great efforts on defense, that was great to see, they played great without two gurads and with morris as a starter, kobe was phenomenal with shooting pct, howard need some more time its obvious. The only guy I am really disappointed is Pau. He cant score on the post, he make a few outside shoots but he was really bad ...and that TO when he make rebound and not protect the ball was scary to watch
themasterphil

Postby abeer3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:07 am

what's up with gasol? i don't care as much about the last play; that was broken and the spurs weren't going to let kobe shoot, period. a timeout wouldn't have changed that.

it's the rest of the game. he's getting the ball swiped after rebounds, shanking open jumpers and chippies alike. you could see it on his face late in the second half when one of the spurs guards was able to prevent an and-1 with a pretty weak arm rake--guy just doesn't have it right now. that's pretty frustrating on several levels.

i'm also near my mwp breaking point again. maybe it's watching the other team's role player (who makes about a quarter of what mwp does) drill a more difficult three for a huge road win after mwp just shanked a wide open one. or maybe it's him successfully (and completely inexplicably) knocking a rebound out of howard's hands in crunch time. just too much screwuppery from him all year long. there are probably 30 sfs out there who could bring more to the table simply by not making bonehead plays.
abeer3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 am

I watched the last 5 minutes again ... we lost this game on the defensive boards... we can't afford to be THAT bad

- Metta bothered D12 who couldn't secure the board = extra possession and 2 points from Leonard midrange J
- Pau get a rebound , Green (or Leonard) snatched it from him = extra possession = Parker scored on a floater
- Green get an offensive rebound in traffic , Parker missed , rebounded his own miss and scored

6 points down the stretch for the Spurs which should have never be scored
wcsoldier81

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:29 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:I watched the last 5 minutes again ... we lost this game on the defensive boards... we can't afford to be THAT bad

- Metta bothered D12 who couldn't secure the board = extra possession and 2 points from Leonard midrange J
- Pau get a rebound , Green (or Leonard) snatched it from him = extra possession = Parker scored on a floater
- Green get an offensive rebound in traffic , Parker missed , rebounded his own miss and scored

definitely. we do a poor job of boxing out. everyone just wants to jump at the ball.
Pig Miller

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:I watched the last 5 minutes again ... we lost this game on the defensive boards... we can't afford to be THAT bad

I couldn't believe we let Tony Parker who was the smallest guy on the court get his own miss and put it back in. :bang: :disagree:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 am

Ron made some shots...but his overall impact on this game was a sizable negative. His defense was meh, his "PG" play was a disaster, and his shot selection was horribad.

Pau needs to protect the ball after securing the rebound, he can clutch it with two hands or just hold it high and out of the reach of most opponents. Little things/details/nuances like this almost always end up deciding close games like this....veterans like Pau should know this.

Dwight...same thing, holding the ball at your waist level while attacking is essentially giving up your height advantage and asking for the easy strip.

I blame the coaching on these things...it seems like certain fundamentals aren't being practiced with any of the bigs. And good habits (like Pau always holding the ball high) don't seem to be part of the program.
kray28

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:42 am

The thing that killed me most was not getting Kobe a shot the last few minutes. Instead we had Pau and Metta taking shots. Those are the last players I want to see with the ball in the clutch.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am

kray28 wrote:Ron made some shots...but his overall impact on this game was a sizable negative. His defense was meh, his "PG" play was a disaster, and his shot selection was horribad.

Pau needs to protect the ball after securing the rebound, he can clutch it with two hands or just hold it high and out of the reach of most opponents. Little things/details/nuances like this almost always end up deciding close games like this....veterans like Pau should know this.

Dwight...same thing, holding the ball at your waist level while attacking is essentially giving up your height advantage and asking for the easy strip.

I blame the coaching on these things...it seems like certain fundamentals aren't being practiced with any of the bigs. And good habits (like Pau always holding the ball high) don't seem to be part of the program.

Pau has caught a case of Kwame-itis or something. Losing rebounds. Fumbling passes. Ball slipping out of his hand on layups.
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 am

Funny how we played "big ball" last night LOL. Tallest lineup I've ever seen.
nthydro

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 am

nthydro wrote:

The thing that killed me most was not getting Kobe a shot the last few minutes. Instead we had Pau and Metta taking shots. Those are the last players I want to see with the ball in the clutch.

As I said in the Mamba thread , Kobe took the right decision on every possession and we scored on each of them ( minus the Metta 3) ... Kobe rose up for the long 2 on this trip but Duncan was not far from him so he passed it to Pau who kicked it to Metta ...

Pop was tired of Kobe hitting shots midway in the 4th so Spurs D crowded him more and were fine with others Lakers taking shots ... we still scored efficiently down the stretch , giving up extra possessions on the glass is the main reason we lost the tight game
wcsoldier81

Postby LakerFanIam on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:11 am

My WMC is that our bench is much, much worse than I even thought it would be... Hill is the only one giving us anything.

Jamison is not aggressive at all. Morris & Duhon are complete scrubs... And, I know Meeks hasn't got much PT so far, but if last game was any indication of what to expect from him.... We're in a world of trouble.
LakerFanIam

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 am

Points wise they kept pace with San Antonio's bench last night which is very impressive considering they double our bench output on average
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 am

Our "big" lineup was misused.

Kobe
Metta
Jamison
Pau
Dwight

We had Parker on Metta or Jamison in the post and we didn't go to it. We also didn't draw a lot of fouls (despite the horrible missed calls), but we weren't aggressive.

Overall, I liked our defense, except for Kobe, who CONTINUALLY leaves shooters open. It's like our achilles heel.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Juronimo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

This was a winnable game. It was hard seeing us fumble away or miss rebounds we should have secured. We do that and we win the game. I'm glad that we were competitive despite not having any point guards but I'm never happy with losing.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby davriver290 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 am

Despite the loss, I'm glad it wasn't a horrible game. Obviously some things have to be fixed up. I'm still scratching my head and wondering why Jamison is playing the 3. We have Morris and Duhon running the show at the PG position at the moment. And where the hell is Ebanks?
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

davriver290 wrote:Despite the loss, I'm glad it wasn't a horrible game. Obviously some things have to be fixed up. I'm still scratching my head and wondering why Jamison is playing the 3. We have Morris and Duhon running the show at the PG position at the moment. And where the hell is Ebanks?

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:
davriver290 wrote:Despite the loss, I'm glad it wasn't a horrible game. Obviously some things have to be fixed up. I'm still scratching my head and wondering why Jamison is playing the 3. We have Morris and Duhon running the show at the PG position at the moment. And where the hell is Ebanks?

:man10: :man10:
Kit

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion