WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Should've won that one (17-22)

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am

Turnovers, turnovers turnovers. That is why we lost for the most part. Nash had his worst game of the season so far, with the turnovers. Also when Dwight would sit down, things would get ugly defensively.

This game was lost due to turnovers and questionable segments of defense.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 am

like most have stated here, the turnovers killed us...that, more than the missed free throws IMO did us in
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Miami's team speed really bothered us. That made a big difference in their defense last night. Their able to rotate quickly, deflect passes, get steals, and be off to the races on the other end usually with Lebron finishing. It was impressive.

At least, IMO, we need a couple of more athletes on our team. While I liked the way Metta played last night, I still would like a more athletic SF who his more of a pure shooter then Metta, and can create his own shot more efficiently.

I do like Earl starting for now; although if you do trade Pau for pieces/depth; it's key, IMO, to get a SF who can guard the perimeter. A little more youth and athleticism would go a long way right now on this team...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Where are all the nash lovers ??? Dude has no dog in him. It's a shame that 24 hasn't had a true legit attack running mate his entire career. Nash is a role player & not a starter on a contender.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:Where are all the nash lovers ??? Dude has no dog in him. It's a shame that 24 hasn't had a true legit attack running mate his entire career. Nash is a role player & not a starter on a contender.

Dude, role player? I'll agree that he may not be the "dog" he once was....but it's his defense that's suspect -- which we knew. If the Heat were trapping Chris Paul like they were Nash, I'm sure he would have struggled as well. Plus it's not like we really had an answer for their trapping -- we just kept trying to run the same plays over and over (MDA).

I know you're upset so I won't take your comment seriously, but come on, if we had a better defensive team, as in TEAM defense, we wouldn't be complaining about Nash as much. What about the games before this when he was racking up 10 dimes a game? My only complaint with Nash on the offensive end is that he's reserving himself, playing with an "I have to adjust my game for this team" mentality, when I would rather have him just do Nash.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 pm

cleverdevil wrote:-I really hope that people are finally realizing what a great coach Erik Spoelstra is. Great defensive strategies, really crisp offensive sets (even if they aren't the most progressive ideas, double screen, who knew?). This guy really knows his stuff, and it makes me feel smart because I was ringing his bell two years ago when people were calling for Pat Riley to take over.

Yeah I was actually thinking this to myself yesterday.

1. He knows how to make in game, and game-to-game adjustments, and the right ones
2. He gets his guys to buy into his adjustments, focus on them & execute.

Defensive plans for teams PLAYING the Lakers vary considerably from plans when playing against other teams-- and Spoelstra clearly did his homework and got the message to his guys.
Chillbongo

Postby borri on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Man everytime i see us play MIA, OKC and LAC....it just drives home the point like a sledgehammer....we are old. The difference in speed and quickness is remarkable.
borri

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:Where are all the nash lovers ??? Dude has no dog in him. It's a shame that 24 hasn't had a true legit attack running mate his entire career. Nash is a role player & not a starter on a contender.

Dude, role player? I'll agree that he may not be the "dog" he once was....but it's his defense that's suspect -- which we knew. If the Heat were trapping Chris Paul like they were Nash, I'm sure he would have struggled as well. Plus it's not like we really had an answer for their trapping -- we just kept trying to run the same plays over and over (MDA).

I know you're upset so I won't take your comment seriously, but come on, if we had a better defensive team, as in TEAM defense, we wouldn't be complaining about Nash as much. What about the games before this when he was racking up 10 dimes a game? My only complaint with Nash on the offensive end is that he's reserving himself, playing with an "I have to adjust my game for this team" mentality, when I would rather have him just do Nash.

Yes our Defense & MDA suck but my point is 24 is sacrificing himself on offense to be a Defense stopper & this punk nash won't step up on offense being passive like pau. Thats why 24 said i need help on offense if I'm chasing best player on Defense. You gonna disagree with 24?
hollywood swinger

Postby borri on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm

^^^

Yup. Nash and Pau. If you are gonna suck on D...and they do. They better make it up on O. At the very least, give up 10....get 10 back on the other end. Else too much pressure is put on D12, Metta and Kobe to play D AND get theirs on O.

Defense takes alot out of you. Can't expect the same energy on both ends of the court. Kobe and Metta are old. D12 is still not in peak shape.
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

True, but is that more a result of them trapping Nash and making him essentially useless?

We see the dude score when he tries, but it's not his nature. Pau on the other hand just has a hard time gettin the ball in the basket.
Chillbongo

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Chillbongo wrote:True, but is that more a result of them trapping Nash and making him essentially useless?

We see the dude score when he tries, but it's not his nature. Pau on the other hand just has a hard time gettin the ball in the basket.

thats why i am saying nash is a role player. we need another lead dog with 24. the defense doesn't even collapse to nash anymore because they know he only wants to pass. pau on the other hand is a joke. guy has battier on him and he can't even out muscle him to get great post position :man10: .
pau is such a girl it isn't even funny anymore. please god please trade this softie.
hollywood swinger

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:11 pm

My big WMC for the game was Chalmers diving over Bash at the beginning of the game. If Nash wouldn't have ducked, Chalmers would have tackled him. It seems like scrubs on the opposing teams play extra rough with Nash in attempt to hurt him.

It's not football.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby AlleyoOp2KOBE on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:22 pm

They really need to work on post entry passing drills and eye contact communication. I saw way too many telegraphed passes and close to being turnovers last night.
AlleyoOp2KOBE

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Yup. And more plays than:

1. Steve Nash high pick and roll
2. Entry pass/failed entry pass to Dwight
3. Kobe iso wing
Chillbongo

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 pm

meeks gunna get some minute off the bench? would work well with pau if pau is coming off the bench...better than morris imo
Ariza3

Postby hollywood swinger on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Ariza3 wrote:meeks gunna get some minute off the bench? would work well with pau if pau is coming off the bench...better than morris imo

this is what i said in a thread that got locked to answer your question about meeks:
I was so wrong when i thought this guy was the right coach for this team. Thursday he will be totally exposed as a clown of a coach when he tries to run and gun with the heat instead of trying to slow it down and punish them inside with our bigs since that is their weakness.
Let me point out the reason i believe this country clown coach is a phony. He goes to guys on the bench who have not played nor complained like Meeks, jamison, hill, clark who come in an save his butt by playing hard and on occassion have a big game for him while in rotation and then he praises them in the post game presser saying how great they are with positive attitudes and hard play. and then how does he repay them? with dnp's out the wazoo. Look at meeks how he is getting sh** on after he gave nothing but effort and energy when in rotation after MDA first experiment failed as usual. he did the samething to hill & jamison. Now watch what he does to Earl Clark when camel head gasol comes back. he has already tipped his hand how he is going right back to gasol in the starting lineup which means clark will be getting limited if not dnp's again. can't coach like that because players look at you as a phony. mark my words he will lose meeks, clark and jamison before the season ends. MDA is a major flake.
hollywood swinger

Postby XXIV on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Yup. And more plays than:

3. Kobe iso wing

Definitely. They should try doing what the Knicks have implemented in setting multiple screens.
XXIV

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 pm

They need to set a screen that blocks MDA from getting in the building.
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby borri on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

XXIV wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:Yup. And more plays than:

3. Kobe iso wing

Definitely. They should try doing what the Knicks have implemented in setting multiple screens.

Won't work. We are the WORST screening team in the league. Our screens are so bad that 95% of the time, there is no rub at all on the defender.

The only person who does it right is Nash and Hill. Sadly Hill is gone. Nash is older than dirt.
borri

Postby GoldenChocobo on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Our perimeter match-up vs contenders (OKC, Miami..) is cringe-worthy.
GoldenChocobo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Yep. Another good perimeter player would be nice. Either a young backup pg or a sf who can guard athletic guards. Rudy Gay?
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Batum or Paul George would be the ideal return for Pau. Guys who can play as an undersized 4 or guard perimeter players if we need them to.
lakersin4

Postby KB24 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 am

GoldenChocobo wrote:Our perimeter match-up vs contenders (OKC, Miami..) is cringe-worthy.

we shouldn't worry about how we match up with contenders. If we make the playoffs, thats a success at this point.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby thisbjgz on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 am

lakersin4 wrote:Batum or Paul George would be the ideal return for Pau. Guys who can play as an undersized 4 or guard perimeter players if we need them to.

You are way way way over rating Pau's value at this point. Paul George has been an absolute BEAST, as he is the reason why Pacers are where they are in the standings.

Batum is a franchise core player for the Blazers along with Lillard and Alridge. Portland won't give him up for an aging "all star" who has been playing terrible basketball.
thisbjgz

Postby ojdidit123 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 am

Its hillarious that the FO is still waiting to make moves while this ship goes down in grand fashion.. so stubborn they are. I wonder if once we are around 10 games under .500 they may feel some urgency rather than staying the course which has a zero percent chance of success
ojdidit123

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion