WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Lakeshow24 wrote:Wow, what a surprise! Can we keep this up over the Grammy trip?

gotta beat the Hornets errrrrr Pelicans first.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11638
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:17 pm

we need to sweep the next 7 games. they're all against lesser opponents with the exception of brooklyn. C's don't have rondo.

we can be 1 game above .500 going into miami.

let's salvage this season!!
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2874
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm

since there's always something to whine about: jvg was right--dwight needs to quit slipping screens. he'll get more open runs to the rim if he actually takes out the ballhandler's man. pau does a much better job of this.

but i don't care; the lakers got their first real quality win of the season.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby The Rock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Im a little worried we might see a repeat of the 2011 season...like we put an incredible amount of energy into a long winning streak to get a high seed in the playoffs but it wore Kobe and the rest of the guys out like crazy. They got hurt in the process and were unable to recover quickly and we got whacked in the playoffs against a Dallas team whom we owned in the regular season. I like that Nash and Kobe are playing less minutes, Im not sure Steve Blake returning is the answer to lessening their minutes, hopefully we pick up Delonte West or make a trade for another PG/SG combo guard guy. THe first 2 minutes to start the 4th today was huge with Kobe and Nash rested and Meeks gave us 5 points and a stop in the other end. It buys us time. Hope we shore up the backcourt position because we need one more playmaker out in the perimeter who can take some shots late in the clock and can help you get stops. That would be a huge shot in the arm for this team.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19985
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Rock, it would be a miracle if we even makes the playoffs, just to make it would be almost a saving of the season and a saving from a huge embarrassment and one of the biggest disappointments in the history of sports. So I would say you're getting a little ahead of yourself and worrying about the wrong thing. I would welcome a guaranteed first round exit right now, missing the playoffs with this roster will be a horrible look for the Lakers franchise and Kobe's career.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby The Rock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Weezy wrote:Rock, it would be a miracle if we even makes the playoffs, just to make it would be almost a saving of the season and a saving from a huge embarrassment and one of the biggest disappointments in the history of sports. So I would say you're getting a little ahead of yourself and worrying about the wrong thing. I would welcome a guaranteed first round exit right now, missing the playoffs with this roster will be a horrible look for the Lakers franchise and Kobe's career.


I think we can do it. Our January schedule was quite brutal though (Except Toronto I guess but they've been dynamite over last 30 days as well). Right now our guys are healthy, our big 4 have played only 16 games and their chemistry is getting better. Pau is getting better. We might get SOME help on the way with that Disabled players exception and a soft schedule coming up, lots of .500 teams and we've beaten them up last few weeks
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19985
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 pm

^JVG was right on point. We'll start winning. Will we make the PO's? I said we wouldn't, but I hope I am wrong. Our longest winning streak was 5 games. I would like to see a long winning streak. 9-10 games, maybe? Just start beating up on the less inferior competition coming up on the Grammy trip.
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 pm

The Rock wrote:
Weezy wrote:Rock, it would be a miracle if we even makes the playoffs, just to make it would be almost a saving of the season and a saving from a huge embarrassment and one of the biggest disappointments in the history of sports. So I would say you're getting a little ahead of yourself and worrying about the wrong thing. I would welcome a guaranteed first round exit right now, missing the playoffs with this roster will be a horrible look for the Lakers franchise and Kobe's career.


I think we can do it. Our January schedule was quite brutal though (Except Toronto I guess but they've been dynamite over last 30 days as well). Right now our guys are healthy, our big 4 have played only 16 games and their chemistry is getting better. Pau is getting better. We might get SOME help on the way with that Disabled players exception and a soft schedule coming up, lots of .500 teams and we've beaten them up last few weeks


I think we can do it as well, make the playoffs, I'm saying this isn't close to a repeat of 2011. You can't really be disappointed in the team if they kill themselves to make the playoffs and lose to the 1 seed team, 8 beating 1 doesn't happen much, it's happened like 4 times ever. Just making the playoffs to save face should be enough at this point, where we sit now, if that changes in time and we start rolling by some miracle, then expectations can start to change IMO.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50939
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:16 am

If we don't make the playoffs , it will be because of too many home bad losses .

Dallas
Indiana
Orlando
Utah
Philly
Denver

two bad road losses :

Cleveland
Toronto

27-17 good for the 5th seed :disagree:
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby noobiew on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 am

No doubt biggest win of the season thus far.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5563
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby abeer3 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 am

Rooscooter wrote:Not sure it's a "Statement Game"..... it seems we'd have to be "relevant" to OKC for it to me anything significant from their standpoint.

From our vantage point it's sure nice to see some "team" with our team....


i'm not mr. sunshine and daisies (i'm pretty sure the lakers are missing the playoffs), but the lakers are most definitely still on everyone's--including okc's--radar. they wanted this game; you could see it.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am

I just pray these guys dont have a let down against teams below .500 anymore, can't afford to and Tues game is no guarantee either, almost lost to Pelicans last time and they've been alot better since Gordons return.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:40 am

Houston and portland gotta start losing some more... hou has two tough teams. Denver and Utah lets hope they get whoooped by them...
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
User avatar
davriver290

 
Posts: 5700
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:14 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby The Rock on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 am

Maybe injuries do lead to fumbilitis? I dont see Pau fumbling passes anymore. Hes catching it clean and finishing it. Maybe thats what Dwight's problem too
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19985
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby kobebryant248 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 am

i say if we play like the last 2 games we will make the playoffs. i don t care what so many here have to say about not making the playoffs. once again if we play like the last 2 games we will make it regardless how pessimistic so much fans here in the forum. so keep it up lakers . i still believe
kobebryant248

 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 am

If the Lakers play like they did the last 2 games they'll have a chance at going deep in the playoffs. I was particularly impressed with the game against OKC. I just want to see if they can play like this on the road before I start getting confident...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
Image
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
User avatar
Lakeshow24

 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 pm

It's a slim shot since we don't know if the team is for real (they've teased us far too often this season to make too much of these last two games), but if they go something like 8-2 over the next 10 games there is a good chance they will be tied with Houston in the loss column.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 pm

abeer3 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Not sure it's a "Statement Game"..... it seems we'd have to be "relevant" to OKC for it to me anything significant from their standpoint.

From our vantage point it's sure nice to see some "team" with our team....


i'm not mr. sunshine and daisies (i'm pretty sure the lakers are missing the playoffs), but the lakers are most definitely still on everyone's--including okc's--radar. they wanted this game; you could see it.


Maybe I wasn't expansive enough.... for OKC losing the game had little significance. No tie breakers were involved.... playoff seeding isn't really involved and other than "grudge factor" it wasn't that meaningful to them. For us it's a little bit different. We hadn't beaten a decent team let alone a good one for a while so if beating a top team is a "statement" then I guess it could be seen that way.

For this group I hope that isn't their mentality however..... they should be thinking it was business as usual to beat OKC on your home floor..... 100M and 5 All stars shouldn't be making "Statement Wins" in January....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22737
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Yes beating the top team after losing 10 out of 12 is a statement game. Especially when you did it by executing a solid team game plan for the 2nd game in a row.

"business as usual"? Have you watched this team? Losing is business as usual.
Last edited by Chillbongo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
abeer3 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Not sure it's a "Statement Game"..... it seems we'd have to be "relevant" to OKC for it to me anything significant from their standpoint.

From our vantage point it's sure nice to see some "team" with our team....


i'm not mr. sunshine and daisies (i'm pretty sure the lakers are missing the playoffs), but the lakers are most definitely still on everyone's--including okc's--radar. they wanted this game; you could see it.


Maybe I wasn't expansive enough.... for OKC losing the game had little significance. No tie breakers were involved.... playoff seeding isn't really involved and other than "grudge factor" it wasn't that meaningful to them. For us it's a little bit different. We hadn't beaten a decent team let alone a good one for a while so if beating a top team is a "statement" then I guess it could be seen that way.

For this group I hope that isn't their mentality however..... they should be thinking it was business as usual to beat OKC on your home floor..... 100M and 5 All stars shouldn't be making "Statement Wins" in January....


6 all stars if you count the two that Jamison was part of... wow is this team really underachieving... :bang:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
Image
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
User avatar
Lakeshow24

 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby abeer3 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
Maybe I wasn't expansive enough.... for OKC losing the game had little significance. No tie breakers were involved.... playoff seeding isn't really involved and other than "grudge factor" it wasn't that meaningful to them. For us it's a little bit different. We hadn't beaten a decent team let alone a good one for a while so if beating a top team is a "statement" then I guess it could be seen that way.

For this group I hope that isn't their mentality however..... they should be thinking it was business as usual to beat OKC on your home floor..... 100M and 5 All stars shouldn't be making "Statement Wins" in January....


eh, i guess. i think the heart of your comments was about motivation, and i think okc was plenty motivated for this game. kobe still has a vendetta for phx, for pete's sake.

that was a high quality win against a team that was, imo, as motivated as the lakers.

the issue is whether the lakers can repeat that performance another 30 times. this i doubt.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10380
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Ice-Fire on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:It's a slim shot since we don't know if the team is for real (they've teased us far too often this season to make too much of these last two games), but if they go something like 8-2 over the next 10 games there is a good chance they will be tied with Houston in the loss column.


That is why the game against the Pelicans has a good chance of being a big let-down. in fact it's very likely that the Lakers will have a hangover from there much needed win against a top-dog that they come out so sluggish that they will be down by more then 16 points, I have seen that script before many many times.
User avatar
Ice-Fire

 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm
Location: Marlboro Ciggarettes

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm

abeer3 wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Maybe I wasn't expansive enough.... for OKC losing the game had little significance. No tie breakers were involved.... playoff seeding isn't really involved and other than "grudge factor" it wasn't that meaningful to them. For us it's a little bit different. We hadn't beaten a decent team let alone a good one for a while so if beating a top team is a "statement" then I guess it could be seen that way.

For this group I hope that isn't their mentality however..... they should be thinking it was business as usual to beat OKC on your home floor..... 100M and 5 All stars shouldn't be making "Statement Wins" in January....

eh, i guess. i think the heart of your comments was about motivation, and i think okc was plenty motivated for this game. kobe still has a vendetta for phx, for pete's sake.

that was a high quality win against a team that was, imo, as motivated as the lakers.

the issue is whether the lakers can repeat that performance another 30 times. this i doubt.

From accounts, OKC was also intent on not being used as a springboard for the Lakers to come together. They wanted to keep us down.
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15188
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby Ice-Fire on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 pm

gcclaker wrote:From accounts, OKC was also intent on not being used as a springboard for the Lakers to come together. They wanted to keep us down.


The Thunder are good enough not to care about other teams coming together. this was just another game for them, it was the Lakers who used the game as a measure stick.... but to me, it's absurd to calculate this game as a off-set for a amazing run, the Hawks/Wizards/Celtics/Wolves/ also win against the Thunder and those teams still suck.
User avatar
Ice-Fire

 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm
Location: Marlboro Ciggarettes

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Anyone watching the game last night could see they wanted this win. They've wanted to beat the Lakers every game since they were bounced from the playoffs.

The Thunder wanted this game badly.

Did they want it AS BADLY? Of course not, that's why they lost.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40206
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.