WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Preseason Time!

Postby nthydro on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 pm

I know it's preseason but that's the worst stretch of basketball I have seen in my life. Just humiliating. :disagree:
nthydro

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 pm

My WMC: Meeks not getting any PT with the starters.
XXIV

Postby thisbjgz on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:19 pm

XXIV wrote:My WMC: Meeks not getting any PT with the starters.
thisbjgz

Postby Finwë on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Ditto for Jamison.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby jjin28 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Just a preseaon game but Morris still way overdribbles, guy needs to go...thought earl clark looked good. He shows a good defensive presence and is really really long, hes a keeper. Cdr looks might have a shot.

Think a bench of Blake, meeks or cdr, jamison, clark, hill can be decent.
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Finwë wrote:

Ditto for Jamison.

Yeah i'm pumped to see the starters play more though
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 pm

WMC: Our bench sucks against starters. :man10:

Jamison should give up on the Princeton once in a while and just do his thing.

Meeks had to play with the crapfest.

Reeves Nelson looked awful. Duhon was nothing. Goudelock was bad. Morris didn't do anything.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Didn't get to finish watching the game. A personal situation came up and I couldn't watch it any longer. What exactly happened?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby The Rock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Lol Nash's backups are TURRRRRRRRIBLE. My goodness. Morris 6 minutes 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists. Duhon 10 minutes 0 points. Blake 9 minutes 2 points. Glock 8 minutes 2 points

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:41 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Didn't get to finish watching the game. A personal situation came up and I couldn't watch it any longer. What exactly happened?

Brown pulled all the starters after second half, gives reserves/training camp invites some burn, they get creamed playing against Golden State starters/backups (I think it was a 36-0 run), in a nutshell.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby purp n gold on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Ok, my first WMC: WHY DID WE EXTEND MORRIS
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Not looking good for Gl0ck and Morris
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Jellincon on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Allowing 28 straight points in the 3rd quarter. :disagree:
Jellincon

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm

I watched the whole game. the starters (even without Howard) looked like a playoff team already. We coasted up about 4-9 points until the starters came out at the half. Midway through the third quarter, once Jamison, Duhon, Blake and Hill were done for the night, the Warriors (who were still playing as many as 4 starters) just decided to start playing mid season aggressiveness on both ends and it totally caught our camp invites and new members off guard.

Everyone started trying to stem the tide themselves, and it was god awful. On the bright side, DJO, CD-R, Earl Clark, Jodie Meeks, Devin Ebanks and Robert Sacre all looked like they were good bench players. Goudelock, Darius Morris, Somogyi, Aguilar and Reeves Nelson were CLEARLY outmatched and playing against players who are at a level higher than their abilities. Duhon and Blake were not a liability, but neither did anything mentionable either. Between the two, I prefer the steadiness and better ball handling of Duhon over the herky-jerky, hesitant and turnover prone Blake.

If it were up to me, after evaluating the summer league, practices and the first preseason game, our roster would wind up like this:

PG: Nash / Duhon / Blake
SG: Kobe / Meeks / DJO
SF: MWP / Ebanks / CD-R
PF: Pau / Jamison / Clark
C: Dwight / Hill / Sacre

If management is ABSOLUTELY INSISTING on leaving a roster spot open, I would have to say that we dump Sacre, mainly because we can always try to get K-Mart, and since athletes like DJO and third string PGs like Blake are not available in the current FA market, the 5 position is the most flexible and the most needy at the end of the bench, followed CLOSELY by back-up PG and third string SG.

Honestly, even after one preseason game, I feel comfortable saying that we need a back-up PG who is more of a scorer and offensive floor leader, not a passive outside spot shooter like Blake and Duhon. Goudelock WOULD THEORETICALLY fit that role, but he doesn't have the handle or the moves, at the NBA level, to fit that role. Honestly, we may need to take a flyer on someone like Arenas. Also, we need more scoring punch from the second unit.

Hill, Meeks, Clark, even Jamison (at this stage of his career) are not guys that can create much for themselves, especially if it has to come in limited minutes. We need someone who will come in (ala Nate Robinson) and just fire the bench up and score in bunches. We should be active at the trade deadline, because we have a serious need. For now, this is the roster I would form:

PG: Nash / Arenas / Duhon
SG: Kobe / Meeks / CD-R
SF: MWP / McGrady / Ebanks
PF: Pau / Jamison / Clark
C: Dwight / Hill / K-Mart
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 pm

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Didn't get to finish watching the game. A personal situation came up and I couldn't watch it any longer. What exactly happened?

Brown pulled all the starters after second half, gives reserves/training camp invites some burn, they get creamed playing against Golden State starters/backups (I think it was a 36-0 run), in a nutshell.

Ok thanks man. Can't wait to get Dwight back. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 pm

It's one game, but Nelson, Aguilar, and Morris look like they simply do not belong in the NBA. Is Morris' contract guaranteed? If it is, wow, how stupid was our front office there, I'm ready just say he sucks and close the experiment with him. Glock looks to have made no progress either and needs to go. Somogyi is very tall, he can grab boards, but he is slow as hell, he's incredibly immobile. Maybe that's all you need for a 3rd string center though, maybe the height and boarding is enough, between he and Sacre I think it's a toss up. From just this one game, Sacre impressed me with the starters, he looks like he could actually be a 3rd string NBA center, he's tall but not as big of a stiff as I thought. With the bench he was horrible as everyone else though. I can't see why we wouldn't take a chance on Douglas-Roberts, he clearly has NBA level game, DJO I still haven't seen enough of, and Earl Clark is a big guy at his position, he probably will never play, but he seems to have good shot blocking ability.

The starters, I thought looked great, Nash barely played but when he was out there he ran the show effortlessly, he's so much better than any other PG we have it's ridiculous. Pau looked like he was already in midseason form, hitting shots, grabbing boards, Kobe was Kobe, put up points, didn't shoot a great percentage. I didn't notice Ron much, my stream was crapping out when he was having his impact. Jamison seems to be slowly finding his way but I think we can be confident in what we'll get from him, Hill I thought was very good, just maybe shot a few too many from almost 3 point land. I have no idea why Meeks didn't play for so long, I thought Blake was Blake (mediocre to bad), Duhon was what I thought, garbage. And finally, I don't remember noticing anything special from Ebanks, just maybe that one shot he banked in. What I can tell I think from one game is that our starters are going to beat up on a lot of bad teams, and our bench will be decent when it's run with the right lineup (possibly Blake/Meeks/CDR/Jamison/Hill). Yes, I really am hoping CDR makes the team and plays over Ebanks after just one game. :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:15 pm

Hill shot a three? :man10:

Guess he learned from Mr. Bynum.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:22 pm

-Hill was too much trigger happy for my taste ... just preseason but I hope it's not going to be a trend this season ...

- I remember hearing Jamison he hated pre-season so no big deal here in his mediocre game

- Overall , it was your usual "becomes boring pretty quick" preseason game ...
wcsoldier81

Postby The Rock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:25 pm

We were up 8 next thing you know Warriors went on some 36-0 nothing. It was embarrasing to watch the bench do nothing in response.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:28 pm

One way to keep the bench from looking so bad is to keep at least 2 of the big 4 in at all times. Nash said he doesn't mind playing 34-35 mins a game since he wont be carrying that much of a load so the extra 2-3 more minutes wont hurt. Brown has to find a combo. Either Kobe/Howard or Kobe/Gasol or Howard/Nash whatever it may be, keep 2 of the big 4 in at all times

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Hill shot a three? :man10:

Guess he learned from Mr. Bynum.

No, he didn't shoot a 3 (I don't think anyway), he was shooting just inside the 3 point line, like one step in from the high school or college 3 point line, whichever it was. It's nice that he has an outside shot, that's a bit far, take a step or two in, shoot from 15 instead of 20.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 pm

I don't like Jamison at the 3 ... he will be more owned defensively than at the PF position ... and he is a good stretch PF next to D12

Meh

Mike Trudell‏@LakersReporter
This group of Blake, Jamison & Hill will anchor the 2nd unit, w/Meeks & Ebanks battling for minutes. Gasol/Howard will usually be on w/'em.
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 pm

That's great, all we need is Pau playing PF and backup C again, 40+ minutes a game wearing him out. I really don't like Mike Brown, I try, but I don't. I don't see the problem with running Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill for a few minutes to get both bigs rest.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Did anyone notice the painted NBA 3 point line on the right side was all crooked and not straight. However did that did a horrible job. :man10:
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Weezy wrote:That's great, all we need is Pau playing PF and backup C again, 40+ minutes a game wearing him out. I really don't like Mike Brown, I try, but I don't. I don't see the problem with running Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill for a few minutes to get both bigs rest.

I'm not sure why Brown wants to play guys out of their natural positions ... Ebanks is a 3 , Antawn a stretch 4 ... even if it's the beginning of the season , Brown doesn't seem high on Meeks at all ... we need shooting at the backup 2 , Ebanks playing the 2 would be terrible in this aspect
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion