WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: That Makes twenty (20-25)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

I know where you're coming from, but that doesn't happen as often as you'd think. The Utah game for example was over before 10 o'clock and that's more of a draw then the Pelicans.

Unless it's nationally televised, games aren't usually approached that openly.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:someone tell Artest its ok to pass when his spot up shot isnt there

the flow of the offense instantly dies when he tries to go one on one

Ive been saying this for months. All the good he does on defense hes giving it away on the other end with his decision making. I understand he has mismatches on him and wants to go one on one, 1-2 possessions a game is fine to keep him engaged but too many times with the Big 4 on the court he tries to dribble and tries to do some playmaking. You have the Big 4 let them create for you and shoot the initial open shot you get. They shouldn't run any plays for him in the 4th Q especially it always results in a turnover or a blocked shot. Hes a good shooter when his feet are set I dont know why he chooses to do these off the dribble things. Just play within your role, you shouldn't be shooting more shots than Pau or Nash

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah, it might've just been a coincidence.

I noticed the game going quickly & simultaneously noticed the excess # of fouls called, so maybe I was just looking for an association.
Chillbongo

Re: WMC 12/13:Statement MADE! (19-25)

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:53 pm

karacha wrote:^

You better. :man9:

Done!

27-9 now :man1: :jam2:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm

WMC: 4th quarter defensive lapses.

WMC: Defense aside, we squandered the 18 point lead also because 3's weren't dropping. Guys wouldn't hit shots anymore.

We may have ditched D'Antoni's offense but we definitely are still living and dying by the 3.
Chillbongo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm

I agree that too many threes is detrimental. To much passing up a good midrange or close shot for an open 3. That kind of low-percentage basketball catches up with you on the road. And in the playoffs.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby cthroatgtr on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Am I the only one that feels that if it took Kobe becoming Magic like for the team to win, why is Steve Nash here? He is now basically Derek Fisher. Seems like an awful lot to give up for a defensive liability that struggled getting the offense going.
cthroatgtr

Postby davriver290 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Because Nash is a better shooter than Fisher. And also, if he needs to, Nash can create shots for others, something Fisher was never able to do. He can also run an offense, give Kobe breaks every now and then... Fisher could never do. The signing of Nash was very smart. But we have so many creators and passers that Nash doesn't have to do it all..
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm

cthroatgtr wrote:Am I the only one that feels that if it took Kobe becoming Magic like for the team to win, why is Steve Nash here? He is now basically Derek Fisher. Seems like an awful lot to give up for a defensive liability that struggled getting the offense going.

To be fair, Nash is scoring a lot more than Fisher ever did during this 3 game run. On top of that he's still a way better passer out there, he's still making plays in the pick and roll, and off of passes Kobe is giving him when doubled. He's swinging those passes into good shots for teammates .
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm

Another WMC.. We really should have hired Phil.. Look how good Nash scores off the ball.. He still would have been a big part of our success, & Pau/Kobe would have been working from the post the whole time.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Weezy wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:Am I the only one that feels that if it took Kobe becoming Magic like for the team to win, why is Steve Nash here? He is now basically Derek Fisher. Seems like an awful lot to give up for a defensive liability that struggled getting the offense going.

To be fair, Nash is scoring a lot more than Fisher ever did during this 3 game run. On top of that he's still a way better passer out there, he's still making plays in the pick and roll, and off of passes Kobe is giving him when doubled. He's swinging those passes into good shots for teammates .

This. He's Derek Fisher+. He's Derek Fisher new and improved. If Derek Fisher was Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator, Steve is Robert Patrick's Terminator.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Are people seriously questioning why we have Nash? Because he's 10000x better than Derek Fisher or any PG we've had in the last 15 yrs or so! Now we got TWO guys that can create in Kobe and Nash, and Nash isn't selfish as he will swing the ball to the wind open man instead of trying to take a bad shot that Fisher would USUALLY take if he were still here. Nash is also a way better shooter than Fisher ever was, and he's also just as clutch if not MORE clutch than Fisher. I trust Nash in the clutch to hit big shots, and he will do it for us when he gets WIDE OPEN off of Kobe's penetration or post play.

Also, let's move past Phil Jackson shall we? I know Dantoni wasn't the best hire, in fact, he was a terrible hire, but at least he's willing to change it up and make bold moves....like starting Earl Clark over Gasol, which many of us wanted, and not stick to his 7 seconds or less offense and now letting the team figure it out on their own. He's not a good coach, but he's flexible and he wants to win.
FabFourLakers

Postby Dfishman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm

I never worry about giving up a lead so long as we hang on and win. That's why you go up 18. From then on, the other team can go on a monster run and you'll still be ahead.
Dfishman

Postby SpencerHarrison on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 pm

All due respect to Nash, but that comment about being as clutch or MORE clutch that Fisher...

He's a legend
SpencerHarrison

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm

fish :man6: i miss the character and heart of this man. it's too bad that age and decline caught up to him.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ice-Fire on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:fish i miss the character and heart of this man. it's too bad that age and decline caught up to him.

Nash brings, exactly what Fisher bought with 10x the better results.

Fisher was a chucker and couldn't stop missing lay-ups.
Ice-Fire

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:fish i miss the character and heart of this man. it's too bad that age and decline caught up to him.

if you don't recognize that fisher was clutch as hell and was instrumental in our two recent chips, you're just blind hating. now i love nash and think he's clutch too, but as far as i'm aware we have zero championships with him. i don't know what results you're calculating and how you've evaluated them as 10x better, but the proof is in the pudding. and as far as nash is concerned, that's still up in the air.
lakersyunowin

Postby Ice-Fire on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:06 pm

If Nash played with Shaq/Kobe/Gasol during his prime years he would also be a instrumental to the Championships but he played with overrated star players on his team.
Ice-Fire

Postby 432J on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:06 pm

nash may perform better on the court but i dont think he brings to the locker room what fish did during his time in LA
432J

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:If Nash played with Shaq/Kobe/Gasol during his prime years he would also be a instrumental to the Championships but he played with overrated star players on his team.

i don't really care for these comparisons of nash to fisher and i think that whole exercise is misguided.

my main point is that any laker fan who hates derek fisher and will not acknowledge the value he brought to the organization is no laker fan in my eyes.
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:

:freak2:

Gross, gross, disgusting over simplification of a man's career. Fisher brought leadership, heart, intensity, and presence to the team. He bridged the gap between Kobe and the rest of the squad. He showed clutch ability basically every season he was here and is almost single handedly responsible for winning a game IN Boston in the FInals.

The only kind of person who would define Fisher as the above is someone who either doesn't know basketball, or didn't watch the Lakers before 2011.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Ice-Fire wrote:

Gross, gross, disgusting over simplification of a man's career. Fisher brought leadership, heart, intensity, and presence to the team. He bridged the gap between Kobe and the rest of the squad. He showed clutch ability basically every season he was here and is almost single handedly responsible for winning a game IN Boston in the FInals.

The only kind of person who would define Fisher as the above is someone who either doesn't know basketball, or didn't watch the Lakers before 2011.

:jam2:
lakersyunowin

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Ice-Fire wrote:

:jam2:

Fisher was that dude. He was the heart and soul of our 2 most recent championship squads.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby gcclaker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:

With all due respect to Nash, Fisher chucked enough that hit and really counted during the biggest possesions too in franchise history.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Not to mention his toughness. Anyone remember the Scola incident in 2009 playoffs?

Dude was also BOMB at taking charges.

Things aren't always explained on stat sheets. Can't believe I'm actually having to defend Fisher on here.
Chillbongo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion