WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Grizzed the Grizz "Keeping Pace" (40-36)

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Not boxing out, terrible coverage of P&Rs, and bricking open shot after open shot in the 2nd half.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Grizzed the Grizz "Keeping Pace" (40-36)

Postby abeer3 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:56 pm

gotta make shots. the clippers made a bunch of tough ones, and the lakers didn't step up, period. also, the few that the clips missed ended up in their hands. yuck.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10384
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Grizzed the Grizz "Keeping Pace" (40-36)

Postby JGC on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Weezy wrote:Just being honest, I expected a Lakers loss today. My only thought was that maybe we could get it closer to 10, maybe even a single-digit loss instead of like the 25 I believe it was last time since we seem to have improved. I guess we did that, 14 is better than 25 right? :man10: Anyway, Clippers just own us now, too deep, too athletic, bad matchup for us, is what it is, and it's why I said like a week or two ago that if we do get into the playoffs I did not want to face them and didn't get people wanting to. Hell we seem to have a better shot vs the Spurs and Thunder than the Clippers or Nuggets, at least those games stay close most of the time, the Clippers and Nuggets seem to beat us by around 20 every time.

I guess my WMC is that these are "dark times" for Lakers fans though, looks like missing the playoffs is likely, the Clippers sweep the season series for the first time ever, get their first Pacific Division title ever, Jerry is gone and the Lakers future in the hands of Jim is still unknown, strange times.


Totally agree. I didn't want to face the Clippers in the playoffs because I really don't want to lose to them. If we play against OKC or SAS and lose, ok, I could handle that, but only two teams where it would really bother me to see them win and that's LAC and MIA.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:59 pm

so if we dont make playoffs, anyone think Jim Buss will have anything to say about his coaching selection or just throw out the check list of excuses?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm

khmrP wrote:so if we dont make playoffs, anyone think Jim Buss will have anything to say about his coaching selection or just throw out the check list of excuses?

excuses... see the MDA thread.. its already being primed.. WHOLE season yadda yadda.. injuries.. yadda yadda... training camp.. blah blah blah
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

Image
Image
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21533
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Re: WMC 12/13: Grizzed the Grizz "Keeping Pace" (40-36)

Postby abeer3 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:05 pm

JGC wrote:
Weezy wrote:Just being honest, I expected a Lakers loss today. My only thought was that maybe we could get it closer to 10, maybe even a single-digit loss instead of like the 25 I believe it was last time since we seem to have improved. I guess we did that, 14 is better than 25 right? :man10: Anyway, Clippers just own us now, too deep, too athletic, bad matchup for us, is what it is, and it's why I said like a week or two ago that if we do get into the playoffs I did not want to face them and didn't get people wanting to. Hell we seem to have a better shot vs the Spurs and Thunder than the Clippers or Nuggets, at least those games stay close most of the time, the Clippers and Nuggets seem to beat us by around 20 every time.

I guess my WMC is that these are "dark times" for Lakers fans though, looks like missing the playoffs is likely, the Clippers sweep the season series for the first time ever, get their first Pacific Division title ever, Jerry is gone and the Lakers future in the hands of Jim is still unknown, strange times.


Totally agree. I didn't want to face the Clippers in the playoffs because I really don't want to lose to them. If we play against OKC or SAS and lose, ok, I could handle that, but only two teams where it would really bother me to see them win and that's LAC and MIA.


amen. when i realized the lakers weren't a contender (about six weeks before i realized they weren't a playoff team, which was about 4 months ago...), i was at least glad that i wouldn't have to watch them get smashed by miami in the finals. now that i've accepted the lakers' crappiness, the only things i have to look forward to are miami and the clips' respective exits from the playoffs. i'm guessing the former won't happen, but at least the latter will--and at least neither one will be punching the lakers out.
abeer3

 
Posts: 10384
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm

DarthRekal wrote:
khmrP wrote:so if we dont make playoffs, anyone think Jim Buss will have anything to say about his coaching selection or just throw out the check list of excuses?

excuses... see the MDA thread.. its already being primed.. WHOLE season yadda yadda.. injuries.. yadda yadda... training camp.. blah blah blah


figures with Dr. Buss gone is there anyone or anything that could challenge Jim authority now? Is there any possibility of booting him out right of any type of decisions when it comes to the team?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:14 pm

khmrP wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:
khmrP wrote:so if we dont make playoffs, anyone think Jim Buss will have anything to say about his coaching selection or just throw out the check list of excuses?

excuses... see the MDA thread.. its already being primed.. WHOLE season yadda yadda.. injuries.. yadda yadda... training camp.. blah blah blah


figures with Dr. Buss gone is there anyone or anything that could challenge Jim authority now? Is there any possibility of booting him out right of any type of decisions when it comes to the team?

jeanie could make a power move... but i dont see it happening.. she loved daddy.. and would respect his wishes... we are going to be stuck with him for a while.. :man5:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

Image
Image
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21533
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby noobiew on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Missed the Lakers-Clippers game because that was too early in my country here but did finished watched the Jazz-Warrior game. I have to say props for this Jazz team, they just play like they want the game more than the Lakers.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
User avatar
noobiew

 
Posts: 5564
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:55 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby odom1year on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Said many times before, Paul is the new king of LA.
odom1year

 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm

odom1year wrote:Said many times before, Paul is the new king of LA.


Meh. LeBron James is the only King in the NBA anyway. Right?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
User avatar
karacha
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 37452
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm

odom1year wrote:Said many times before, Paul is the new king of LA.


The Clips are going to have to win some playoff series before that is even close to being true.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm

odom1year wrote:Said many times before, Paul is the new king of LA.

:jam2: Thats what's up
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
User avatar
puffyusaf#2

 
Posts: 30529
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Chasing the dream to an Oscar

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby odom1year on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 pm

karacha wrote:
odom1year wrote:Said many times before, Paul is the new king of LA.


Meh. LeBron James is the only King in the NBA anyway. Right?


Most likely he is winning MVP again this year. I REALLY hope someone wins F-MVP rather than him.
odom1year

 
Posts: 3387
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:33 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Helljumper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Call me crazy, but my WMC: Mitch.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14860
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Decided to look at this depth problem we have and compared our team minus our starters to the top teams in the league without their starters. (Not including injured players out for season)

Lakers
Blake / Duhon
Meeks
Clark
Jamison

Clippers
Bledsoe
Crawford / Billups
Barnes / Hill
Odom
Hollins/Turiaf

OKC

Jackson/Fisher
Martin
Brewer
Collison
Thabeet

Spurs

Mills/Neal
Ginobili / de Colo
Jackson
Bonner/Blair
Diaw

Nuggets

Miller
Brewer/Fournier
Chandler
Randolph
McGee/Mozgov

Miami

Cole
Allen
Miller/Jones
Haslem/Lewis
Anderson/Anthony

Chicago

Robinson
Belinelli

Gibson
Mohammed

Knicks

Prigioni
Smith
Novak
Martin
Camby/Thomas

If this problem doesn't get fixed next year, we are going to be looking at the same s*** as we are this year. Our starters are supposed to have the big advantage, but looking at these teams with their starting 5's, we don't have a huge advantage or any compared to these teams. Add in the fact that we have one of the weakest benches in the league and it's no wonder MDA has to run the starters into the ground.

I'm done with the lets see how many stars we can pack into a starting lineup. We need to balance this team out big time. Even with the starters taken out, these teams are still deep, while we can barely scrap together a 2nd unit.

We need to get some able bodies in here, so that if/when the injuries come we have replacements. There is no way we should be in a position if MWP goes down we don't have another SF to step up. That's ridiculous.

If it's just Kobe/D12 and a bunch of solid role players next season, I won't complain one bit. At least we won't be top heavy with a bunch of aging players with no backups behind them.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:52 pm

The thing about that is, are our starting 5 being used effectively?

I don't think they are....and that is where MDA is hugely at fault.

I love JVG, but he came out recently saying that MDA deserves respect for not forcing his quick offense on this team and going to the strengths of this team. So our huge front line is resorted to PnR or stretch players, while our guards dominate the ball and try to play set-up. Still 7 man rotations....since December. Please tell me otherwise, how the direction and utilization of this team hasn't been done correctly? We don't see the blitzing offense that we normally would with MDA....but his imprints are all over this mess. And just look at how low we have fallen on the defensive front even with capable defenders on this team....I respectfully disagree with JVG...MDA's imprints are all over this team. But it felt good to see JVG associated in some way with the Lakers...maybe its something to look forward to.

We are top heavy, but if the top was used right, you don't need to overly rely on the bottom...right? In fact, if you utilize the top efficiently, you don't have to overuse the top....and maybe, just maybe...you don't drive these guys into an injury plagued season.

Management needed to make the smaller moves to shore up the roster....but their most erroneous move was the hiring of MDA with far more accomplished and decorated candidates available. The season was lost then IMHO.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13022
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 pm

How is offense even a problem...over the last 2 weeks since Pau returned

Pau 13.5 points, 7.8 rebs 5 assists 53% FG
Howard 18 points 14rebs 63% FG
Kobe 27 points, 6.3 rebs, 8 assists 42% FG

Nash has been gone most of those 2 weeks so our Big 3 is putting up huge offensive numbers....our big 3's offense is not the problem they're working just fine

Our 3 point shooting to relieve and support our big 3 has been inconsistent and so is the defense...those are bigger issues and thats a problem thats been here before MDA got here
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 pm

'yes i screwed your team and what are you gonna do about it?"
Image
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
User avatar
hollywood swinger

 
Posts: 3149
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:43 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby LakerFanIam on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
LakerFanIam

 
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Sec 117

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Helljumper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:The thing about that is, are our starting 5 being used effectively?

I don't think they are....and that is where MDA is hugely at fault.

I love JVG, but he came out recently saying that MDA deserves respect for not forcing his quick offense on this team and going to the strengths of this team. So our huge front line is resorted to PnR or stretch players, while our guards dominate the ball and try to play set-up. Still 7 man rotations....since December. Please tell me otherwise, how the direction and utilization of this team hasn't been done correctly? We don't see the blitzing offense that we normally would with MDA....but his imprints are all over this mess. And just look at how low we have fallen on the defensive front even with capable defenders on this team....I respectfully disagree with JVG...MDA's imprints are all over this team. But it felt good to see JVG associated in some way with the Lakers...maybe its something to look forward to.

We are top heavy, but if the top was used right, you don't need to overly rely on the bottom...right? In fact, if you utilize the top efficiently, you don't have to overuse the top....and maybe, just maybe...you don't drive these guys into an injury plagued season.

Management needed to make the smaller moves to shore up the roster....but their most erroneous move was the hiring of MDA with far more accomplished and decorated candidates available. The season was lost then IMHO.


I can't tell if you're agreeing with JVG or not. Yes, D'antoni did modify his system and let our players play to their strengths. Which is PnR for Dwight. And PnR/initiating plays from the high-post for Pau. (I guess this is what you're referring to when you said our frontline is resorted to playing "stretch". Although when I think of "stretch", I think of a shooter whose primarily camped outside in order to space the floor. While we did try that out with Pau earlier in the year, lately that hasn't been the case at all.) And playmaking for our guards.

7 man rotations since December? That's just not true. Go back and look at those box scores. When fully healthy, we've primarily played with a 9 man rotation, and I expect that to continue when Nash/Metta return. Earlier in the year, it was Nash, Bryant, World Peace, Gasol, Howard, Morris/Duhon, Meeks, Jamison, Hill. Now it's the same with Blake replacing Morris/Duhon and Clark replacing Hill. Speaking of Hill, I noticed many people still criticizing D'antoni for not playing him when he was healthy. Not sure if you were amongst those, but that also is just not true. Hill definitely established himself in our rotation prior to injury. In his last 5 games (which happened to be pretty much the only period of time we were fully healthy), he averaged 11 points and 7 boards in 18 minutes a game.

And I'm not sure how playing our starters more efficiently, would prevent Kobe from landing on Dahntay Jones. Or prevent an aging Pau who was complaining about being UNDER utilized prior to injury from developing plantar fascitis. Or Nash from breaking his leg one game into the season. But anyways, can you elaborate on what you mean by utilizing our top more efficiently. Again, I agree with JVG that our current system is relatively suited to the strengths of our personnel. If you disagree, what specific changes should we make, offensively and defensively, to better match our personnel and mask our lack of depth?
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14860
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:'yes i screwed your team and what are you gonna do about it?"
Image

I find it quite the coincidence that he decides to retire the same year that Kobe does.

Suppose that he retires before Kobe. Suddenly, Kobe gets the referee respect that he deserves, and he's far and above every player in the league, including the King. How suspicious would that look? If Kobe decides to retire a year later, book it, Stern will too.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Hollywood

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Decided to look at this depth problem we have and compared our team minus our starters to the top teams in the league without their starters. (Not including injured players out for season)

Lakers
Blake / Duhon
Meeks
Clark
Jamison

Clippers
Bledsoe
Crawford / Billups
Barnes / Hill
Odom
Hollins/Turiaf

OKC

Jackson/Fisher
Martin
Brewer
Collison
Thabeet

Spurs

Mills/Neal
Ginobili / de Colo
Jackson
Bonner/Blair
Diaw

Nuggets

Miller
Brewer/Fournier
Chandler
Randolph
McGee/Mozgov

Miami

Cole
Allen
Miller/Jones
Haslem/Lewis
Anderson/Anthony

Chicago

Robinson
Belinelli

Gibson
Mohammed

Knicks

Prigioni
Smith
Novak
Martin
Camby/Thomas

If this problem doesn't get fixed next year, we are going to be looking at the same s*** as we are this year. Our starters are supposed to have the big advantage, but looking at these teams with their starting 5's, we don't have a huge advantage or any compared to these teams. Add in the fact that we have one of the weakest benches in the league and it's no wonder MDA has to run the starters into the ground.

I'm done with the lets see how many stars we can pack into a starting lineup. We need to balance this team out big time. Even with the starters taken out, these teams are still deep, while we can barely scrap together a 2nd unit.

We need to get some able bodies in here, so that if/when the injuries come we have replacements. There is no way we should be in a position if MWP goes down we don't have another SF to step up. That's ridiculous.

If it's just Kobe/D12 and a bunch of solid role players next season, I won't complain one bit. At least we won't be top heavy with a bunch of aging players with no backups behind them.

Long term the current CBA should help us with this problem. Stars are still getting paid but guys that used to be fringe MLE signings are getting 2 year minimum offers. We should be able to round out of the bench nicely if things shake out right.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 am

The problem with our depth is that the league screwed us by not restructuring how much players contracts that were grandfathered in from the previous CBA counted against the cap, i.e. Kobe and Pau's huge contracts. Kobe's contract was a max contract in the old CBA correct? So if they had restructured it, he would only have counted around 20 million against the cap, instead of the full 30 that it is now. Pau at 20 million would have been around 15 against the cap most likely. That alone is ~ 15 million of cap space off of our books. It's a moot point, after next season the only players we will have on the roster will be (maybe) Dwight and Nash (if he doesn't retire with Kobe or is traded.) We will be able to structure our players salaries according to how much they are REALLY worth, under the new CBA.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
User avatar
KBJelleyBean24

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: Oxnard, CA

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 am

Doc post is perfectly on point ...

Add to his point that our starting 5 is flawed ... 3 of our 4 "stars" are past their prime , the only one young star we have hasn't been 100% all season long and isn't exactly a model of consistency either ...

You just can't defend in today's NBA with twin towers AND a backourt whose average age is 36+.

I won't even waste time on the Metta case which has been mentioned a million times on this board ....

We completely need to retool our roster ... younger core and a good bench ... to adapt to NBA current style of play to sum the pb up in one sentence ...

Next season will be another season of mediocrity ... we need to trade Pau ( without taking back long term contracts) , trade/amnesty Metta and go from there ...

Important thing is to make sure Kobe AND Nash retire at the end of the 2013-2014 season so we can have a clean payroll to re-up in the 2014 Summer
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.