WMC 12/13: Mercy kill. (0-4)

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Finwë on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Not even gonna complain about that run or minutes played by the starters or anything. Just glad we got the W and hoping we can get another one tomorrow. It's too tiring.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Unfortunately I'm no longer confident we can beat SAS, GSW, and HOU for those last 3 games. Even if the Spurs benched the starters they could still beat us considering the Lakers had trouble with the Hornets.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Finwë wrote:Not even gonna complain about that run or minutes played by the starters or anything. Just glad we got the W and hoping we can get another one tomorrow. It's too tiring.


^^ Yep. More of a game than we wanted . . . but we'll take the W. Whew! Get that W tomorrow, too.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Unfortunately I'm no longer confident we can beat SAS, GSW, and HOU for those last 3 games. Even if the Spurs benched the starters they could still beat us considering the Lakers had trouble with the Hornets.


No longer confident? When were you? Back in August when we got Nash and Dwight? :man10:
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50866
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Weezy wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Unfortunately I'm no longer confident we can beat SAS, GSW, and HOU for those last 3 games. Even if the Spurs benched the starters they could still beat us considering the Lakers had trouble with the Hornets.


No longer confident? When were you? Back in August when we got Nash and Dwight? :man10:

probably not
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
User avatar
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 31459
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Making folks sexy with dancin'

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Our perimeter players didn't put any kind of resistance on the defensive end for most of the game ( and for most of the season )... they get taken off the dribble so easily...

The way the Hornets easily repeated their offensive set with the double hand offs which led to the Davis dunk summarizes our D for the season : embarassing
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby JGC on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JGC wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^because the East sucks and the Bulls are use to playing without the injury prone Rose.


Yeah but the point is that they have had injuries and are playing at a 5th seed level instead as a top seed level as you'd expect had they not dealt with injuries (Rip Hamilton, Noah, Rose) all year. If we were SUPPOSED to be a 1 seed in the West coming in to the season, then we should be like a 5th seed or so now in the West because of the injuries and other impacts.

A true 1 seed would likely have to deal with greater adversity than what we've had to deal with this season so to me, that says we are really like a 4-6 seed in the West and because of the things we've dealt with, have dropped to 9th.


Thanks for clearing that up. I am sure I didn't understand that when I said "Because the east sucks and the Bulls, as a team, are use to playing without their star player." However, comparing the Bulls team who, again, is use to playing without their star for many games over the course of the last 3 seasons to a newly formed Lakers team who has had ALL ITS STARS injured is not only idiotic but a waste of time. We get it, you hate this team, and they were never good enough for you even if they were healthy....good for you. Moving on.


Chicago has been without all of its stars for the entire season. Yes, it sucks that we have been without 2 of our 4 stars for a significant portion of the season but we have had our other 2 for most of the season. Chicago has no stars without Rose. So if it is a bad comparison, then yeah because they have no stars the whole year and we have had two top 10 players for most of it.

And the whole victim card thing gets old. I dont hate this team, I love this team. I dont like the roster much and so I hope we make some changes so we can contend again. You don't think we should stay pat do ya?
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby Rooscooter on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Our perimeter players didn't put any kind of resistance on the defensive end for most of the game ( and for most of the season )... they get taken off the dribble so easily...

The way the Hornets easily repeated their offensive set with the double hand offs which led to the Davis dunk summarizes our D for the season : embarassing


It's been getting worse, not better. Howard does a decent job in moving to the open person but he also is predictable in doing that and it's pretty clear our opponents are planning for him to leave his man at will to help. Last night's game was a perfect example of that. He willingly moved over on just about every possession and they had an answer that was obviously game-planned.

Some basic scheme planning and effort would at least stop the embarrassing play at times. Kobe stepped it up late in the game on a few possessions but in large part the perimeter defense has stunk like low tide in Vallejo....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23127
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 am

^^^they also suck at defending inbound plays, I've noticed any time a ball is inbounded with even just a few secs to shoot, opposing team usually scores and its usually a very easy score to boot.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 am

JGC wrote:
Chicago has been without all of its stars for the entire season. Yes, it sucks that we have been without 2 of our 4 stars for a significant portion of the season but we have had our other 2 for most of the season. Chicago has no stars without Rose. So if it is a bad comparison, then yeah because they have no stars the whole year and we have had two top 10 players for most of it.

NO its a bad comparison, like I said, because Chicago is a team of really good players, a fringe player or two but a team that has to play with each other and for each other. They are good at it because they have had YEARS of practice as their star player goes down every year. They have had time to learn to work together. (That would be the apple). The Lakers on the other hand have had no time to work together, no consistency and no chance of gaining any of it. It is a pretty pathetic attempt to descredit your own so-called team with this apples and oranges comparison.

And the whole victim card thing gets old. I dont hate this team, I love this team. I dont like the roster much and so I hope we make some changes so we can contend again. You don't think we should stay pat do ya?


Only you call it "victim" card. WHo are you to label someone else's point as "victim"? All you do on a consistent basis is walk in circles, cry foul when someone attacks your nonsense and then finish with some question that does not apply to the conversation at hand. You don't think you could stay on topic do ya? Moving on.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
User avatar
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 31459
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Making folks sexy with dancin'

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby Finwë on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 am

wcsoldier, I thought Kobe was very good defensively in the 2nd half guarding Gordon, and Clark was very effective on Vasquez.

Granted, our perimeter D is pretty bad usually, but it wasn't in that 2nd half - mostly 4th quarter.
Just gotta watch tape, see how we're getting things done and what's working, and then rinse and repeat. Effort should be there with 4 games left...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby khmrP on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am

I know this team blows on transition D, however I like to know why ALL our players run into the paint, including the guards even when if both bigs are already back and in the paint leaving wide open 3pt shooters, sometimes multiple 3pt shooters? Is this by design or are our guards dumb?
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10461
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby nameant on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:They are good at it because they have had YEARS of practice as their star player goes down every year


08-09 81 GP
09-10 78 GP
10-11 81 GP

He didn't have issues until last season. And it's not just Rose, the Bulls have had a number of injuries all season but somebody always steps up. It's the same way with the Spurs. I don't think any team relies as much on their star as we do. It can make us easy to beat and doesn't create a good balance. Our starting lineup is ridiculous. Even if 1 or 2 stars go down, like recently, we still have Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Kobe Bryant, yet we still struggle to beat bottom feeders. Most nights we have 2-3 times the talent as the opponent but even when we win it seems like we're getting outplayed (considering the talent difference). It's all about cohesion and a sense of togetherness, something we don't have. That starts with the coach/system imo.
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25328
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am

nameant wrote:That starts with the coach/system imo.

teams/squads/ any groupl for that matter... always take the identity of their "LEADER"
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21606
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 am

nameant wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:They are good at it because they have had YEARS of practice as their star player goes down every year


08-09 81 GP
09-10 78 GP
10-11 81 GP

He didn't have issues until last season. And it's not just Rose, the Bulls have had a number of injuries all season but somebody always steps up. It's the same way with the Spurs. I don't think any team relies as much on their star as we do. It can make us easy to beat and doesn't create a good balance. Our starting lineup is ridiculous. Even if 1 or 2 stars go down, like recently, we still have Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, and Kobe Bryant, yet we still struggle to beat bottom feeders. Most nights we have 2-3 times the talent as the opponent but even when we win it seems like we're getting outplayed (considering the talent difference). It's all about cohesion and a sense of togetherness, something we don't have. That starts with the coach/system imo.

You can't get cohesion when you have 1 healthy player at a time playing. The system was never able to be established because we never had a chance to play together. Morris, Ebanks and Sacre were getting big minutes at times. Duhon was a starter, Kobe was the 3, we missed both starting and backup PG's, both bigs were playing through injury. I agree we should be winning this games plain and simple but I also understand you can't just "plug and play" even when everyone is healthy. Even the great Lebron James struggled to find balance with the Superteam. As far as the Bulls they have suffered losses but they have also had role players that are use to having to play without the stars. Their focus is defense first, second and last and then offense. I don't think comparing the Bulls and the Lakers especially this years snake-bitten team.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
User avatar
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 31459
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Location: Making folks sexy with dancin'

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby denimPortugal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:10 am

That 14-0 in the 2Q...my Gosh! It's our team this season! :freak2: :bang: :bang:
User avatar
denimPortugal

 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:01 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby nameant on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:11 am

DarthRekal wrote:
nameant wrote:That starts with the coach/system imo.

teams/squads/ any groupl for that matter... always take the identity of their "LEADER"


If that were true, we'd never lose. We can't expect everybody to have a killer's mentality but we can expect everybody to play hard night in and night out. If role players on the Bulls, Spurs, and other teams can do it, why can't ours?
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25328
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:16 am

DarthRekal wrote:
nameant wrote:That starts with the coach/system imo.

teams/squads/ any groupl for that matter... always take the identity of their "LEADER"


Most definitely. Phil in 2000 is a great example. Starting 5 was virtually the same but improvements in bench helped. Oh and I guess Kobe's game exploding doesn't hurt.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby Forward Three on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 am

denimPortugal wrote:That 14-0 in the 2Q...my Gosh! It's our team this season! :freak2: :bang: :bang:


Yup. Only difference really is that LAL was up 10 when it happened. But otherwise, that same "it should not be possible for a team to score so many points against us this quickly" run happened just as it has happened in what feels like more than half of the games this season.
Forward Three

 
Posts: 4595
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 am

nameant wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:
nameant wrote:That starts with the coach/system imo.

teams/squads/ any groupl for that matter... always take the identity of their "LEADER"


If that were true, we'd never lose. We can't expect everybody to have a killer's mentality but we can expect everybody to play hard night in and night out. If role players on the Bulls, Spurs, and other teams can do it, why can't ours?

meant our coach
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
User avatar
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster
 
Posts: 21606
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: In The Refridgerator

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:59 am

This is why I don't buy the chemistry excuse: look at Houston....newly constructed and still staying afloat.

But then the injury thing comes up....so then look at NY....both their key additions in Kidd and Felton were brought in to be starters. Felton was out 12 games this season, while Amare was out the majority. Like us, their roster is of the veteran variety and their bench is also riddled with injuries, yet they stayed afloat.

Then of course, the coaching thing comes up....so then look at Brooklyn....changed their coach much later than us. Had a key addition in Joe Johnson and since Brook Lopez was pretty much lost last season, he's kinda new to that starting lineup. G-Wall, JJ and Lopez all had some time off due to injuries this season, yet they stayed afloat.

Now I'm not insinuating that Kevin McHale is a better coach than MDA....but I will say that the coaching change, injuries and team chemistry excuse is largely exaggerated.

Our roster may be flawed, but we do have talent on it. We have the best center in the league and we have arguably the best overall player in the league. We should have veteran savvy and we have 2 other players that were injury plagued but did contribute in a handful of games and they're also very talented. We have yet another player that came into this season in the best shape of his life. We have capable players to at least buy some minutes for our veterans but were never given serious run and/or never given an opportunity to develop a role for this team....by design.

So here we are trying to chase down the 8th seed....trying to stay afloat.

Yep, coaching matters! The Spurs, the Celts, the Bulls and the Mavs (the latter 2 having lost their "Kobe" for the majority of the season) can attest to that.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13008
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby nameant on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:27 pm

DarthRekal wrote:
nameant wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:
nameant wrote:That starts with the coach/system imo.

teams/squads/ any groupl for that matter... always take the identity of their "LEADER"


If that were true, we'd never lose. We can't expect everybody to have a killer's mentality but we can expect everybody to play hard night in and night out. If role players on the Bulls, Spurs, and other teams can do it, why can't ours?

meant our coach


Oh, yeah....refer to your sig. :man5:
User avatar
nameant

 
Posts: 25328
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:30 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Kings of LA? Clippers? Wait What.... (40-37)

Postby JGC on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JGC wrote:
Chicago has been without all of its stars for the entire season. Yes, it sucks that we have been without 2 of our 4 stars for a significant portion of the season but we have had our other 2 for most of the season. Chicago has no stars without Rose. So if it is a bad comparison, then yeah because they have no stars the whole year and we have had two top 10 players for most of it.

NO its a bad comparison, like I said, because Chicago is a team of really good players, a fringe player or two but a team that has to play with each other and for each other. They are good at it because they have had YEARS of practice as their star player goes down every year. They have had time to learn to work together. (That would be the apple). The Lakers on the other hand have had no time to work together, no consistency and no chance of gaining any of it. It is a pretty pathetic attempt to descredit your own so-called team with this apples and oranges comparison.


I get what you're saying in that Chicago and the Lakers are two teams with completely different circumstances at play so to speak. I guess my point was that I feel like it sort of nets out to be somewhat equal and here's why. Our ceiling is much higher. Simplifying it, if, based on our on-paper talent, we believe the best we can be assuming everything else is in place is a 100, then the coaching changes and injuries would say, bring us down to 60. Chicago however, assuming everything was in place, would never be a 100, they would be say, a 90 or an 85 and then without their lone star Derrick Rose, drop to about a 60.

I'd still argue a team with Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard, two players who were considered top 10 players the season prior, should be better than a Chicago team without Rose even if you take in to account that they have the same coach, etc. Am I wrong to think that?

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JGC wrote:And the whole victim card thing gets old. I dont hate this team, I love this team. I dont like the roster much and so I hope we make some changes so we can contend again. You don't think we should stay pat do ya?


Only you call it "victim" card. WHo are you to label someone else's point as "victim"? All you do on a consistent basis is walk in circles, cry foul when someone attacks your nonsense and then finish with some question that does not apply to the conversation at hand. You don't think you could stay on topic do ya? Moving on.


What I mean by that is when we play a team with a depleted roster and lose, you say how having all these new guys on the other team makes them play better. But then, with our own team, it's the reason we're playing worse.

People should be free to criticize and offer suggestions for improvement without you pulling out the troll or you hate this and you hate that card. I prefer talking about what it will take for my team(s) to get better more than I do talking about what I like that they're doing. Doesn't mean I hate Kobe or hate the Lakers as you assert. It just means, I don't know, that maybe I'm hard to please since I'm always barking about how to be better rather than taking a step back and enjoying the progress that's been made? I'm theorizing.

At the end of the day, in spite of everything we've dealt with, I still think we should be a whole lot better than we have been given who we have.
JGC

 
Posts: 3781
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby scissors on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Damn nba.com standings already had us with a loss tonight. Lol.
User avatar
scissors

 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Re: WMC 12/13: Back in 8th (41-37)

Postby scissors on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Great win.
User avatar
scissors

 
Posts: 4555
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.